Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Next episode, they reveal Jack survived because his fall was cushioned with those corpses. He was really thinking ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Considering the distances Jack was traveling once he learned to 'jump good' I'm not too worried about him making it out of this fall.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Genndy Tartakovsky Extended Universe?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Aku will become so fearful of Jack that he'll work to make the world a peaceful utopia for all in hopes that it may curry enough favour for the samurai to spare him.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Megaspel posted:

Aku will become so fearful of Jack that he'll work to make the world a peaceful utopia for all in hopes that it may curry enough favour for the samurai to spare him.

You know what? I would love that ending. Aku's so hilarious and goofy, so if he were to actually get spared in a believable way? That...would actually be pretty cool :mmmhmm: !

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
He already freely welcomes refugees and keeps the wilderness beautifully pristine. His military budget and police aren't so great, but we really only have the pov of the most dangerous criminal on Earth to consider. Aku is demonstrably more desirably than the current administration.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ZorajitZorajit posted:

He already freely welcomes refugees and keeps the wilderness beautifully pristine. His military budget and police aren't so great, but we really only have the pov of the most dangerous criminal on Earth to consider. Aku is demonstrably more desirably than the current administration.

Yeah that's always been the funny thing about Aku, because he's omnipotent but not omnipresent the world is ostensibly under his thumb but as long you never yell "AKU SUCKS" in a public square you can do whatever the gently caress you want, and that's how so many disparate human and alien cultures of varying technological prowess can exist on the same earth. It's hard to see the genuine downsides of being ruled by an evil overlord who just wants freshly polished statues and a comfy lava temple :doom:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe the villain has been Jack and his dad, the emperor, this whole time :tinfoil:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah that's always been the funny thing about Aku, because he's omnipotent but not omnipresent the world is ostensibly under his thumb but as long you never yell "AKU SUCKS" in a public square you can do whatever the gently caress you want, and that's how so many disparate human and alien cultures of varying technological prowess can exist on the same earth. It's hard to see the genuine downsides of being ruled by an evil overlord who just wants freshly polished statues and a comfy lava temple :doom:

Yeah unless you are one of the literally dozens of major cities that gets loving ANNIHILATED when someone tries to go call out Jack, lol. Like Aku's world might be orderly, but "Roaving super-powered Assassin using your entire city as chum" is probably more common than Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Fires & Floods in terms of raw population wiped out.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Aku killed a lot of people/cursed people to terrible fates so...no. Let's keep the idea of Aku redemption in the garbage bin along with Jack dying.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I always loved Aku's characterization as evil, but not competent. He's basically a spoiled child with phenomenal godlike powers, which is why he falls apart completely whenever he fights jack. Dude's petty, vindictive, ego maniacal, just a total dick. If he wasn't the SHAPESHIFTING MASTER OF DARKNESS, he'd just be some rear end in a top hat. The issue is just that his assholery extends to the entire planet and beyond.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah unless you are one of the literally dozens of major cities that gets loving ANNIHILATED when someone tries to go call out Jack, lol. Like Aku's world might be orderly, but "Roaving super-powered Assassin using your entire city as chum" is probably more common than Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Fires & Floods in terms of raw population wiped out.

Honestly? Just being orderly is still better miles better than the hellholes that a lot of 3rd world countries are; or not having any civilization at all.

That said though...Aku's world not being so bad is probably just a byproduct of it being a kids show. Were this REAL life? Then yeah, this world would probably look much the way Event Horizon looked, before it had 45 minutes of gore cut out of it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I always got the vibe Aku either allowed or participated in the slaughter of most of humanity., since we don't really see that many humans and he had to make room for all those aliens and robots somehow.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Humanity as we know it probably never makes it past feudal japan, and the other dimensional beings/aliens/robots probably start showing up with advanced technology before we would have gotten electricity in our timeline, i imagine.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I always got the vibe Aku either allowed or participated in the slaughter of most of humanity., since we don't really see that many humans and he had to make room for all those aliens and robots somehow.

I mean most civilizations probably didn't give themselves over to their new Overlord of Darkness voluntarily. Beyond (failing) at samurai-killing that's what the army of robots is for.

Hypocrisy posted:

Aku killed a lot of people/cursed people to terrible fates so...no. Let's keep the idea of Aku redemption in the garbage bin along with Jack dying.

Agreed. Even if Jack could for some reason get over Aku burning down Japan, Aku has just done so much poo poo over god knows how long. It would be the weirdness of forgiving Darth Vader times a million.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't know, they have worked in the things they had because it was a kids show as plot points. Like only destroying robots until now. There might be a reason for Aku's world, despite being bad, not being complete extinction and misery.

Aku's single appearance was still funny and he's still a cartoon villain in contrast to jacks destructive side, or the caretakers of the Aku daughters. Maybe that's part of this show. That Aku is evil but is something that doesn't exist in the human world and therefore not as scary or evil as a human who has lost their humanity. Or I could just be overthinking.

Aku has always been literally two dimensional with a funny face and doesn't fit in a tv-ma series as an ultimate evil

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

me over the course of 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't know, they have worked in the things they had because it was a kids show as plot points. Like only destroying robots until now. There might be a reason for Aku's world, despite being bad, not being complete extinction and misery.

Aku's single appearance was still funny and he's still a cartoon villain in contrast to jacks destructive side, or the caretakers of the Aku daughters. Maybe that's part of this show. That Aku is evil but is something that doesn't exist in the human world and therefore not as scary or evil as a human who has lost their humanity. Or I could just be overthinking.

Aku has always been literally two dimensional with a funny face and doesn't fit in a tv-ma series as an ultimate evil

i like it, it brings some much needed humor to the show that also contains 15 minutes of jack killing 5 people in the snow

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It seems like regular human worship of aku is eviler than aku himself. Turning brainwashed children into death cult assasins on akus behalf without any of his input was way eviler than anything aku has done. Jacks gonna struggle with that, even when the big bad goes down, humans are still poo poo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like it, it brings some much needed humor to the show that also contains 15 minutes of jack killing 5 people in the snow

death is failure :geno:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

deathbysnusnu posted:

It seems like regular human worship of aku is eviler than aku himself. Turning brainwashed children into death cult assasins on akus behalf without any of his input was way eviler than anything aku has done. Jacks gonna struggle with that, even when the big bad goes down, humans are still poo poo.

I'd love it if Aku finds out about this little cult and just goes "wow, what the hell? You people are nuts."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rhonne posted:

I'd love it if Aku finds out about this little cult and just goes "wow, what the hell? You people are nuts."

"Weren't you listening? My evil is law! Not yours!"

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

death is failure :geno:

I also got a kick out of how one of them just called out "SAMURAI BLOOD™!", like Jack's some kind of mutant or something :mmmhmm: .

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

I also got a kick out of how one of them just called out "SAMURAI BLOOD™!", like Jack's some kind of mutant or something :mmmhmm: .

Will he is apparently immortal, I mean magical mutation still seems like mutation.

Alternately and more likely, the only thing they know about samurai is that that's what Jack is.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Caidin posted:

Alternately and more likely, the only thing they know about samurai is that that's what Jack is.

So in other words, they grew up on these stories?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izcMW3IONSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6a1oiT6Uf8

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Oh yeah, I'm all in for this being basically the climax of the series. Or at the very least, Aku finding out Jack doesn't have the sword and the tables being turned, Aku looks everywhere searching for Jack and Jack having to do everything to avoid him until he finds the sword.

Aku learns Jack doesn't have the sword and goes on the warpath. Then Jack punches him in the face and it turns out the real magic sword was inside him all along. That's the power of Righteous Spirit™.

IronSaber posted:

Best theory: Jack recovers his sword, partners with Ashi and kills Aku in the past. They both go through the Guardian's portal to the past and kill Aku in the past. Jack marries Ashi, they have lots of little samurai babies, and they all live happily ever after despite Goons being a bunch of angsty Negative Nancy's.

What could be purer than the romance between a 70 year old unaging warrior and the pyschologically-damaged emotionally-still-a-child ~20 year old cult assassin raised specifically to kill him. Love knows no bounds!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Elite posted:

What could be purer than the romance between a 70 year old unaging warrior and the pyschologically-damaged emotionally-still-a-child ~20 year old cult assassin raised specifically to kill him. Love knows no bounds!

Still a better love story then Twilight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Elite posted:

Does Samurai Jack count as an anime? Because if it does...

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Chokes McGee posted:

The universal anime test: would your parents describe it as "that weird Japanese stuff"?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Chokes McGee posted:

The man is a fan of old school robot anime and Frank Miller's Ronin.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Cabbit posted:

"Weren't you listening? My evil is law! Not yours!"

"WHAAAAAT? THOSE CHILDREN AREN'T MIIIIIINE! DOOOOON'T THINK YOU SQUEEZE CHILD SUPPORT OUT OF MEEEEEE!"

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

-in the anime version of Samurai Jack-

:hist101: : Oh, you look like a 12 year old girl but you're actually a 1000 year old space dragon. Niiice. :pervert:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I guess I'm dumb and hate change, but I don't really want Ashi to be elevated to such a high status as love interest or savior of the past/present/future. This story is about Jack and his struggle against Aku.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Yeah I think the main thing about Ashi is that she's going to pose a moral quandary to Jack that he has not yet passed. She is a victim of Aku just as much as anyone else, and pitting her against Jack is an extension of that.

I don't care about Ashi, I care about Jack.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Anyone who thinks that Ashi will become a love interest is idiotic.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Elite posted:

Aku learns Jack doesn't have the sword and goes on the warpath. Then Jack punches him in the face and it turns out the real magic sword was inside him all along. That's the power of Righteous Spirit™.

There's an issue of the comic that is pretty much exactly this.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I just want my happy ending. :(

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it bears mentioning that while Ashi is probably a broke-brains killing machine... so is Jack. He also never got to grow up and have girl/boyfriends or anything. He has no experience of love post Aku, and the idea that 50+ years of sleeping by himself on rocks and pine needles falls by the wayside for someone who probably even smells like Aku is nuts, to me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

He's also never been shown in a context where he's straight up destroying poo poo, I mean sure he's the embodiment of evil and all but him just being all "RAAR IMA BADGUY" all the time would make for a significantly less interesting character. He won and he's been the boss for literally thousands of years now, why would he not be resting on his laurels?

As for why the entire planet has not been destroyed... well... why would it be

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The Genndy Tartakovsky Extended Universe?

The assassin sisters are pretty much the full range of Genndy's female body archetypes.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 28, 2017

• Locked thread