Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Those sprouted seed vials are really thresher maw spores.

This would have been a 10/10 sidequest. Krogans sneak some spores, and when they defect they plant them on the planet and boom, instant defense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Different strokes - I liked the Nomad. The focus on exploration and transportation, the different drive modes, even how it's not durable under fire while driving but indestructible cover while on foot (whatever, it's videogame handwaving). Quickly got used to switching drive modes as needed while cresting hills.

Helps that the planets are generally open spaces with some minor/moderate obstacles and clear paths. Only place that annoyed me is north central Elaadan.

Totally understand how some don't enjoy it.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

Honestly I just want to know what kind of thought process went in to the drive mode switching. Like I could imagine they had big plans for something that just didn't make it in time so they cut those... but then why leave it in and have the mode switch instantly instead of just removing it altogether? Was someone really that attached to the 4WD upgrades and little graphic they created?

I think the drive mode switching is also there to make the game a bit less breakable, as it allows fast map travel and steep climbing without both at once, which would otherwise probably enable you to do even more weird glitchy poo poo with the nomad. Personally I would kill for a small atmospheric shuttle of my own but so far I have not gotten anything like that in game and I assume it is not present :(

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

isk posted:

Different strokes - I liked the Nomad. The focus on exploration and transportation, the different drive modes, even how it's not durable under fire while driving but indestructible cover while on foot (whatever, it's videogame handwaving). Quickly got used to switching drive modes as needed while cresting hills.

The nomad blows up waaaay too easily. Am I really supposed to believe that the same amount of firepower that breaks personal shields also breaks the shields of a monster vehicle? I'd increase its hp by a factor of 10 if I could.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dang, looks like I can't convince some dumb bastards from the Nexus to move to Voeld without messing with Remnant stuff to warm the planet up. Did every other sidequest available on the planet and it's at 39%. What's the matter, folks not want to live someplace where -30 Celsius is considered warm?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ambaire posted:

The nomad blows up waaaay too easily. Am I really supposed to believe that the same amount of firepower that breaks personal shields also breaks the shields of a monster vehicle? I'd increase its hp by a factor of 10 if I could.

That's interesting. What difficulty are you playing on? I went thru Normal without the Nomad blowing up once.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

BrianWilly posted:

What's actually funny is that, most of those scenes? Are completely fine. The shot of Sara grimacing as she wakes up fits perfectly in the scene.
Are you nuts.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Who takes down shields. Do I have to do it ? I'm not seeing any squad dudes with overcharge.

Oh I miss you tali so much.

Look closer, bosh'tet.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
hey does anyone have a video compilation of funny faces or whatever i havent seen it in like four posts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh Liam has overload.

Ehhhhhh.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gentle reminder that you too can have overload!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh I know I can do it. I just didn't want to be forced to have overload as one of my three skills.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it's a shame the profile system isn't quite robust enough to do that

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Am I reading this right? AVP tops out at 19 points? That seems.. wrong. somehow. Particularly since i'm now accruing negative AVP.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Overload is the best and I have it almost constantly in my loadout along with whichever two biotic powers I'm playing with at the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hedrigall posted:

Overload is the best and I have it almost constantly in my loadout along with whichever two biotic powers I'm playing with at the time.

Do biotic-only ryders have an efficient way of dealing w/ shields?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rinkles posted:

That was my question yeah.

It used to be Tali.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rinkles posted:

Oh yes, very effective, it's called "putting points into overload"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Yes. Among other options, Pull can do massive damage on shields.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cythereal posted:

Dang, looks like I can't convince some dumb bastards from the Nexus to move to Voeld without messing with Remnant stuff to warm the planet up. Did every other sidequest available on the planet and it's at 39%. What's the matter, folks not want to live someplace where -30 Celsius is considered warm?

Did you do the main story mission? I thought that gave some viability, but I could be wrong.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Am I reading this right? AVP tops out at 19 points? That seems.. wrong. somehow. Particularly since i'm now accruing negative AVP.

no. stuff appears as you get to new planets

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Toss the enemies over edges to their deaths.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Singularity sets up shielded dudes for combos, Nova can be specced anti-shield and it's loving great at it.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I heard a fair amount of panning on release but all the reviews were really lovely as well so it didn't really say much. How are goons liking this story wise and mp wise?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Charge. Nova. Punch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I heard a fair amount of panning on release but all the reviews were really lovely as well so it didn't really say much. How are goons liking this story wise and mp wise?

The story and writing aren't great. Environments are pretty, combat is fun.

Multiplayer is pretty good but needs a few tweaks to improve balance.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

euphronius posted:

Or do I shoot shields down. I just want to throw fools.

Disruptor ammo will shred shields. If you're specced into biotics you can get pull to steal shields and generally most biotic powers/combos do extra shield damage. Shields aren't your problem you'll be given tons of tools to deal with them. Just wait till you start coming across armoured dudes. I'd suggest picking every squad member ability that deals extra armor damage when you're given a choice. All armoured things have tonnes of HP plus a bunch of damage resistance.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Story is a mixed bag at best, the companions are pretty good overall and there's certainly some good writing but for me it gets drowned out in a sea of badly-edited dialogue, weird plot contrivances and it being the least ambitious story ever told. They could have gone in so many cool directions with traveling to a new galaxy and instead we get literally the most cliched and perfunctory plot possible, Humanity teams up with The Resistance to fight an evil alien empire who are after a bunch of ancient alien relics. :sigh: That would kind of be forgivable if I cared about other areas of the plot but aside from the crewmates and the Krogan I don't really care if anyone in Andromeda lives or dies.

MP would have been good except they kept it P2P so you're gonna get dropped a lot.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 28, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Verviticus posted:

no. stuff appears as you get to new planets

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

As far as single player, is there a lot of side content/is it decent? Sometimes I just like going to different planets and help space farmers kill space bandits

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Rinkles posted:

pull, charge, nova, stab with Asari sword while waiting for your powers to recharge

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kurieg posted:

this happened to me too

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

As far as single player, is there a lot of side content/is it decent? Sometimes I just like going to different planets and help space farmers kill space bandits

There is certainly a lot of that! Whether it's decent or not is a matter for discussion. The exploration and combat are certainly better then the story, for what that's worth, but a lot of people don't like how much it uses the scanner feature (think Witcher/Batman Sense). If you're on the fence (and can play on PC/XBOX) I'd encourage you to try the EA Access demo, it's not a perfect representation of the final game but I think it gives a decent idea of what to expect.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Hey I had this thing last playthrough that reduced the penalty on fusion mods by 50%. Does anyone know what I mean? I thought it was an AVP perk but I can't find it in the list.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Arrrrgh. I really dislike the fact that switching between profiles decharges your biotics/skills.

Just loving make a charge timer for switching profiles, not for making me unable to use my skills. :argh::respek::mad:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

I liked it. Definitely not the best this year but it gets better after the tepid start and even makes some of those events more interesting. Midgame has a decision with probably the highest level of pathos in the series. Ending is adequate and appropriate with the best presentation in the game.

To answer your other question - there's a whole lot of side content, and a lot of it has consequences (some major, most minor). One content type - tasks - is mostly comprised of fetch quests with little impact, but can be fun enough if you enjoy the exploration and combat. Some have more interesting results.

I liked MEA quite a bit more than I expected I would, and I started an Insanity playthrough almost immediately after the first run. It'll keep me entertained for a while yet.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Kurieg posted:

that's weird, i have 22 unlockables and i'm at like 7

edit: i think. i'll check when i get home maybe i'm misremembering

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the scanner would be fine if it was like witcher sense but it's just junk. whether or not you like the mechanic, at least w3s implementation was decent

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

where's a good place to farm Vanadium? Need some because apparently every melee weapon needs it

Also, I think the game is really good, the combat is super fluid and enjoyable. Getting around in the Nomad is annoying at times but you can live with it. the wide array of powers is really good as well. Overload + concussive shot is a great AoE move that clears space effectively. game's got issues but its enjoyable, all you can ask for honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Carlosologist posted:

where's a good place to farm Vanadium? Need some because apparently every melee weapon needs it

I'd just buy it.

Also, I've been experiencing the infinite length reload bug. restarted and tried to reload my most recent last two saves (the only two I've got) and it's the same thing. I'm currently alt-tabbed out waiting and hoping.

Also again, I seem to be dying an AWfUL lot as an awesome biotic. The pistol doesn't do poo poo. I may need to get back a shotty or sniper rifle and take the recharge length hit. Having onyl 1 defense and two attack biotics is sorta hard. Throw, Singularity, and the shield guy. Maybe I should dump singularity since it takes forever to reload. Pull will probably be easier.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 28, 2017