Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Can anyone link me a competitive standard and competitive modern deck so I can throw together one of each online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
How long until we discover Bolas is building pyramids as the top half of new hedrons.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think that's why the embalm tokens are white, to appease these people.

The booby mummies don't hurt either.

Balon posted:

How long until we discover Bolas is building pyramids as the top half of new hedrons.
:perfect:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

beergod posted:

Can anyone link me a competitive standard and competitive modern deck so I can throw together one of each online?

Standard

Modern

Go hog wild.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Balon posted:

ah, so he can seal the gatewatch in them forever and then we follow nicol bolas' merry band of ne'er-do-wells for the rest of the story

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Guys, Back from the Brink already uses the same method of bringing creatures back as Embalm and it's the most recent time they've done returning creatures back from the graveyard once as far as I know.

I will agree removing the mana cost makes no sense though.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

beergod posted:

What colors and what archetypes (aggro, control, combo, etc) do you like?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ultima66 posted:

I guarantee the reason is they were afraid that people would get confused if they printed a mana cost on the tokens, and even more people would be confused if they didn't print a mana cost on the tokens but still let the token have a nonzero CMC

Enough people already think that all tokens have zero CMC period that it's probably for the best they just went with the flow.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/starcitygames/status/846447984392982530

Of course the only decklist is burn.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I dunno, they managed to do an Indian plane without anything indian in it so the idea that they're going to be faithful to egyptian poo poo seems questionable.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Writing an article about budget decks and charging money for it would be a pretty good joke if it was done on purpose.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Burn is super cheap in legacy. I'm chain lightnings away from having it. Also most of the deck ports from the modern version.

Ultima66 posted:

Guys, Back from the Brink already uses the same method of bringing creatures back as Embalm and it's the most recent time they've done returning creatures back from the graveyard once as far as I know.

If devotion comes back it makes sense.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

ZeroCount posted:

I dunno, they managed to do an Indian plane without anything indian in it so the idea that they're going to be faithful to egyptian poo poo seems questionable.

Kaladesh was bottom-up invention world with a coat of Indian paint. No one complains that Ravnica wasn't an authentic Eastern European plane, even though the names and some flavor came from there. I believe Maro has said that Amonkhet is supposed to be top-down Egyptian world.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

beergod posted:

Make your own.

Don't be a netdecker

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Make your own.

Don't be a netdecker

Don't listen to this guy, netdeck like a motherfucker

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Use what other people have found to be good as a starting point, but don't be afraid to tweak and tune those lists based on what opposition you're typically facing and how you want to play.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

Use what other people have found to be good as a starting point, but don't be afraid to tweak and tune those lists based on what opposition you're typically facing and how you want to play.

I agree. Everyone should start playing Trophy Mage instead of Rogue Refiner in Temur Tower. Why draw a card when you can draw the best card in your deck every time?

Also if Fling is around UR Plummer looks loving amazing.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 28, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

beergod posted:

don't play standard and here is this best deck in modern

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ZeroCount posted:

Similar to the gothic horror motifs and themes that inspired Innistrad's design, there is a fuckton of art, literature, etc based Egyptian folklore, history, & mythology for whoever is doing design and art direction at WOTC to crib from. Expecting them to be faithful to any of it is unrealistic, but I expect that we'll get some nifty flavor and art out of the sets.

Ravnica always felt like a very bland fantasy Europe setting, so if there were intentions beyond that they failed miserably. Kaladesh could've definitely stood to have a bit more actual influence from Indian mythology and/or culture but the lazy way to do that is to shoehorn deity analogues in and they couldn't go that route for obvious reasons. I thought the techno-futuristic racecar obsessed India was a great idea in theory, just nowhere nearly fleshed out as it should've been.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ZeroCount posted:

They tried being faithful to actual mythology with Kamigawa and everyone went "wait, what? I wanted ninjas and anime"

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Entropic posted:

They tried being faithful to actual mythology with Kamigawa and everyone went "wait, what? I wanted ninjas and anime"

Importantly, they tried being faithful to actual mythology and got about halfway there. The tone is right and some themes are right, but it doesn't really hit the mark. It kind of dissatisfies on both the anime and ninjas level and also on the hardcore mythological level.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I would like to point out that there were, in fact, ninjas on kamigawa

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Bring back Ninjutsu for Amonkhet.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Retromancer posted:

Bring back Ninjutsu for Amonkhet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In every pack of Amonkhet, there will be a randomly inserted Plague of Egypt that will be unleashed upon you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm an only child, so 1 in 10 packs is death to me

worth it

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Embalm seems like a way too specific mechanic name for something that is basically "Flashback for creatures", makes it difficult for it to be used again.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Managed to 3-0 an MM3 league today, so I'm pretty pleased with myself. Drafted Esper blinkey/removal/Unearth value and managed to mill people out on two different occasions with that cool demon what mills people.

E: I also felt very Yu-Gi-Oh when my opponent turned his turn two centaur token into a third turn 5/5 with trample and lifelink only to eat a Pitfall Trap.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 28, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

anglachel posted:

Embalm seems like a way too specific mechanic name for something that is basically "Flashback for creatures", makes it difficult for it to be used again.

It's not like they haven't given identical abilities different names for flavor before. They can just change the name if they want to use it again.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A flavor win would be a card called Sacrificial Lamb. Some dinky card that says "Sacrifice this creature. All creatures you control get indestructible until end of turn"

Of course it would get hated off the board but would be on point to the Egypt theme. Especially if there was some sort of Angel of Death board wipe that targets high CMC creatures.

*edit* I am an idiot, Selfless Spirit is a thing

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 28, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

pr0digal posted:

A flavor win would be a card called Sacrificial Lamb. Some dinky card that says "Sacrifice this creature. All creatures you control get indestructible until end of turn"

Of course it would get hated off the board but would be on point to the Egypt theme. Especially if there was some sort of Angel of Death board wipe that targets high CMC creatures.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GonSmithe posted:

We're gonna know what the masterpieces are tomorrow, Buehler just said on twitter that there'll be a masterpiece preview during VSL tomorrow

Caleb, Owen, and Gaby also have their own previews tomorrow. The only one I know the time for is Owen at 6 PM EST.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just dump the whole list on us like you have so far, wizards. What masterpieces are in is nothing more than a curiosity for 99.9% of players.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Christ I'm an idiot :smith:

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
There were step pyramids in ancient Egypt y'all.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

ZeroCount posted:

First draft in this and its games is one of the best mm17 drafts I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohK6gCEr-c

Quoting to say this is an absolutely pro click and one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

TheMaestroso posted:

Clearly this fantasy card game with infinite planes of existence that have their own rules, cultures, etc. needs to adhere very strictly to Earth's cultures and histories.

i cant identify with and/or jerk off to them otherwise

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

dragon enthusiast posted:

i cant identify with and/or jerk off to them otherwise

new_slivers.txt

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bigperm posted:

There were step pyramids in ancient Egypt y'all.

A pyramid is a tomb. A ziggurat is a pyramid-shaped structure with a temple on the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah but lol if you don't bring your own pre-sleeved Unhinged 2 full-art lands

*puts lands into $1500 Louis Vuitton messenger back used only for carrying magic cards, walks into oncoming traffic*

I won't even play with you poors who don't even have Guru lands. I typically don't even sleeve mine and I usually just throw them away at the end of every draft.

• Locked thread