Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I would totally go to a Pixel XL from my Nexus 6 if it wasn't so gently caress-off expensive. Here in Canuckistan the 32GB is $1050 + tax from the Gargler. Even if you opt for a contract-subsidised device, you're still looking at $350 + tax upfront and a minimum $90/month bill for two years. And to add insult to injury, if I was to get a new contract it would cost me something well over $100/month for an equity level of service, over the $74/month I pay now.

I mean my Nexus is beat to gently caress, in that the screen is burned in badly, the battery isn't great and the USB port is so worn out that the cable doesn't stay in at all, but I'm willing to live with it at that cost. gently caress that noise 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

As far as I can tell it varies a lot by region and I have never been able to find a straight answer on actual legality, but at least here in California I just walk in and ask the attendant to turn on the air compressor. They haven't said no yet.
After having to do that three times in a row once refilling aired-down tires after offroading, I felt like an rear end in a top hat and installed onboard air.

It costs them basically nothing so you shouldn't feel bad

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've been a sucker for buying subsidised phones from Costco, but I'm also from one of the two blessed prairie provinces that have less rape-ey plans.

According to my contract I'm paying $55 per month, ~$49 dollars of which is to pay down the balance on the phone, and got paid a few hundred in Costco cash for taking an S7 edge under contract.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a Nexus 5X sitting here that I haven't used in months. I dropped it and while it didn't break I became incredibly paranoid that I would break it which is why I went to a chinesium phone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

As far as I can tell it varies a lot by region and I have never been able to find a straight answer on actual legality, but at least here in California I just walk in and ask the attendant to turn on the air compressor. They haven't said no yet.
After having to do that three times in a row once refilling aired-down tires after offroading, I felt like an rear end in a top hat and installed onboard air.

It's the law in California for air & water (and a pressure gauge) to be free if you purchased fuel there.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Here's it's like $0.50 or a $1 and they claim the proceeds go to charity.

I have a 12v compressor I got in some roadside emergency kit my mother gave me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I ended up buying some slime kit that reads the tire pressure for me. I'm sure I'll regret it at some point if it breaks but so far it's been nice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CharlesM posted:

It's the law in California for air & water (and a pressure gauge) to be free if you purchased fuel there.

I didn't know if CA was one of them but I know it's a state law in at least some states that they have to provide air if you're getting gas.

If I owned a gas station (or 10,000 gas stations) I'd just make it free regardless. I have to think that the good will and additional gas/snack/drink sales would easily pay for the minor amount of maintenance and electricity it takes to do it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I ended up buying some slime kit that reads the tire pressure for me. I'm sure I'll regret it at some point if it breaks but so far it's been nice.

I accidentally used the factory "slime" (tire puncture repair) kit that came with my Mustang. I didn't realize that the compressor that comes with it has two hoses, one for just air and one for factory ford slime, and I used the wrong one when I was just trying to air up a tire when I was on the road and the low pressure light came on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MrChips posted:

I mean my Nexus is beat to gently caress, in that the screen is burned in badly, the battery isn't great and the USB port is so worn out that the cable doesn't stay in at all, but I'm willing to live with it at that cost. gently caress that noise 100%

You just described my work phone (2014 Moto X). When I'm in the car I wrap the cable around the dash mount to keep it from falling out of the phone, and the battery is only good for about 2 hours if I'm working and don't have a charger on me (... yet it'll go 3-4 days off the charger if I don't touch it - but the only apps on it outside of standard Android stuff is Google Maps and Amazon's delivery app, and it doesn't get touched at all unless I'm working). The display is burned so bad that you can see the outline of Google Maps anytime you're not using, well, Google Maps.

I love AMOLED for how bright it is. But goddamnit they burn as easily as a CRT. I've seen LCD panels get burn-in too, but those were usually always-on monitors for security cameras and the like (but you could see it even with the monitor off).

scrubs season six posted:

If I owned a gas station (or 10,000 gas stations) I'd just make it free regardless. I have to think that the good will and additional gas/snack/drink sales would easily pay for the minor amount of maintenance and electricity it takes to do it.

Or you could charge 50c-$1 and make an extra $5-100 a day, even if you turn it on for free if people just ask. That seems to be the norm here with the chains - if you walk up you pay, if you ask they'll turn it on for free.

e: I really need to get a compressor. I've been sidelined so many times by slow leaks that could be otherwise fixed by just throwing air in it until I can get it patched the next day.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 28, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Here's it's like $0.50 or a $1 and they claim the proceeds go to charity.

I have a 12v compressor I got in some roadside emergency kit my mother gave me.

My wife travels a lot for work and when she does she parks at my moms house since my mom lives 2 miles from the airport and we live 30 miles from the airport (and my moms retired so 99% of the time she gives her a ride the last 2 miles). Wife normally is only gone for ~6 days at a time, but what I didn't know and which my mom told yesterday, was that if she's been gone for 2 or 3 weeks, before she leaves my mom's house, she'll check all her tire pressures and inflate them if necessary.

I didn't even know she HAD a 12v air compressor.

I'm so fuckin proud.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I didn't know if CA was one of them but I know it's a state law in at least some states that they have to provide air if you're getting gas.

Yet another reason to sing the praises of QuikTrip. Free air, just have to pres butan (and hope that the air chuck hasn't chooched her last).

I do pack a Viair 88p in the Jeep, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Or you could charge 50c-$1 and make an extra $5-100 a day, even if you turn it on for free if people just ask. That seems to be the norm here with the chains - if you walk up you pay, if you ask they'll turn it on for free.

e: I really need to get a compressor. I've been sidelined so many times by slow leaks that could be otherwise fixed by just throwing air in it until I can get it patched the next day.

It's hard to accurately quantify all the financial pluses and minuses of something like that though. Like I would definitely favor a gas station if they just had free air all the time without me having to walk in and get them to turn it on or give me tokens or whatever. And maybe that means I end up buying more energy drinks or vape juice or beef sticks from that station.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yet another reason to sing the praises of QuikTrip. Free air, just have to pres butan (and hope that the air chuck hasn't chooched her last).

:same:

I installed it a month or so after I felt dickish getting in line to ask the guy to turn on the pump three times in a row :v:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Paying for air at a petrol station? Jesus Christ.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

In California, if you buy gas, they are legally required to provide air (and water). However, with pay at the pump, unless the dude has been watching like a hawk he doesn't really know if you bought gas.

Efb

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was pretty sure one of the bigger chain stations I went to in the midwest when I lived there always had free air but couldn't remember which one.

Where I lived (in Iowa) they were branded as QuikTrip but I remember when I was visiting relatives in another state they had always just been branded as QT and it blew their minds when I told them what it stood for because they'd never thought of it as anything other than QT.

Speaking of which, I want to get a good air compressor to put in my F-150. Anyone have any other suggestions? I just googled the 88P and it does look like a pretty good one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

A few of of the QTs here charge for air (unless you go inside and ask nicely).

Racetrac - their main competitor here - always charges when they actually have an air station (again, unless you go inside and ask nicely).

I prefer QT because they're generally a bit nicer than Racetrac, and they pay their employees a hell of a lot better, but Racetrac's stuff (aside from fuel) tends to be a bit cheaper. They tend to build either across the street from each other or down the street from each other here too; I think this is their biggest competitive market outside of Racetrac's home market (Atlanta).

Last time I went out of town (yet remained in TX), I was so confused over not being able to find either of them, and people looking at me like I was speaking French when I asked where one was. I figured with as much as QT had penetrated the market here, it had to be statewide, right? NOPE. I think there's one QT in TX outside of DFW. Racetrac has similar representation in TX.

It's hard to accurately quantify all the financial pluses and minuses of something like that though. Like I would definitely favor a gas station if they just had free air all the time without me having to walk in and get them to turn it on or give me tokens or whatever. And maybe that means I end up buying more energy drinks or vape juice or beef sticks from that station.

As much as I agree with you... look at it from this side - making you walk in to ask them to turn it on means you get a brief look at what they sell, which means a slightly higher chance of you buying something from them. All of the profit in a C-store is on the stuff inside, they're pretty much breaking even on fuel.

Where I lived (in Iowa) they were branded as QuikTrip but I remember when I was visiting relatives in another state they had always just been branded as QT and it blew their minds when I told them what it stood for because they'd never thought of it as anything other than QT.

Newer stores here only have QT on the big signs; they may have QT or QuikTrip on the building. Older ones still have QuikTrip on the small signs by the road (the small pedestal/headstone style signs that have fuel prices).

The receipts still say QuikTrip, but who actually reads those these days?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 28, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love my 88p, anything Viair is solid. If you just need to top up now and again, nearly any compressor will work. Having a nicer one like a Viair is more useful if you air down your tires to go offroad and have to reinflate them all from 15 to 33 PSI.

Only problem with the 88p is the pressure gauge is way high on it, especially while running. It is consistent at least. Shut it off at 40psi and the big gauge / TPMS agree on it being at 33.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love my 88p, anything Viair is solid. If you just need to top up now and again, nearly any compressor will work. Having a nicer one like a Viair is more useful if you air down your tires to go offroad and have to reinflate them all from 15 to 33 PSI.

Only problem with the 88p is the pressure gauge is way high on it, especially while running. It is consistent at least. Shut it off at 40psi and the big gauge / TPMS agree on it being at 33.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've got a little cheeseball one that I use to air up the tires on my Honda when they're 4 psi low but I want something that isn't going to get overheated going from 15 to 35 psi on a 35" tire.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
> The workshop jobs are certainly the hardest part of the show to make

I'm surprised by that -- I could see that it's logistically the most expensive to make, between buying/waiting for parts to come in and shooting multiple sessions.
But hard? They just need one camera man there to follow Edd and his helper, right? Not that different from following Mike around.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

> The workshop jobs are certainly the hardest part of the show to make

I'm surprised by that -- I could see that it's logistically the most expensive to make, between buying/waiting for parts to come in and shooting multiple sessions.
But hard? They just need one camera man there to follow Edd and his helper, right? Not that different from following Mike around.

I bet lighting it is a huge bitch.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've got a little cheeseball one that I use to air up the tires on my Honda when they're 4 psi low but I want something that isn't going to get overheated going from 15 to 35 psi on a 35" tire.

IIRC the 88p is supposedly "good" up to 33" tires (takes my 31x10.5 from 15psi to 32psi in 1min40sec). Most likely totally fine for airing up a low 35" every so often. If you're regularly deflating/reinflating for offroading or the like, you'll probably want something bigger i.e. Viair 300p.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

gently caress, I would be seriously bidding on that if I weren't tied up with the Boxster.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

IIRC the 88p is supposedly "good" up to 33" tires (takes my 31x10.5 from 15psi to 32psi in 1min40sec). Most likely totally fine for airing up a low 35" every so often. If you're regularly deflating/reinflating for offroading or the like, you'll probably want something bigger i.e. Viair 300p.

Yeah, I'm looking at the bigger ones right now. I don't have the tires yet anyway but assuming I eventually do I might get the 300 or 450.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just helped my brother find and buy a pickup and holy crap the market on them is crazy, he ended up spending over 8k on an '02 silverado :psyduck:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

People from up north coming down here and buying them up, plus every banjo playing fuckhead cousinlover wanting a truck makes for stupid prices. About once a week I get some idiot who overpayed for a shitheap truck/van with 150k+ fixing it up just enough to drive north. Cue them being pissed I don't have every part they need on hand or them not wanting to pay what the part costs because they blew all their money thinking it would have no problems. I think I'd rather deal with salted roads. :argh:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 28, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I couldn't help comparing the Lexus LS I just bought recently to it.....A flawless '03 for 9k that was twice the price of a Silverado brand new, gotta love luxury car depreciation :v:

The truck he ended up getting is nice but is definitely used GM quality and drives like garbage, no way I'd want one as a daily.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just helped my brother find and buy a pickup and holy crap the market on them is crazy, he ended up spending over 8k on an '02 silverado :psyduck:

Ya I can't find one less than five years old for under $25k/100k miles without driving 400 miles

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

TurboDrizzle posted:

crossposting from the miata thread (do we even have an autox thread anymore?)

Am i off the throttle too much? Skipped past the slower, boring runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwktuaDLayE&t=160s

Only watched the first run, but the big things that stand out are you are really late to get back on the throttle, you need to commit to the throttle (if you are pressing on the gas and then lifting almost immediately, you done hosed up 99% of the time), and your car seems kinda loose for the way you drive it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Paying for air at a petrol station? Jesus Christ.

Even better: the nearest petrol station by my house has a compressor that takes credit cards. You can now finance air!

Speaking of compressors I bought my first compressor from harbor freight (just a 10 gallon cheapy) for a home project and I am so excited! :feelsgood:

What's the required wait time until I can buy all the air powered tools?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've heard using a prepaid visa gift card with no money on it on the air compressor machines works and while I advocate strongly for stealing air I will not bother attempting to do so

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TurboDrizzle posted:

crossposting from the miata thread (do we even have an autox thread anymore?)

Am i off the throttle too much? Skipped past the slower, boring runs.

In addition to what Brig posted, I would say that you are too 'on/off' with the throttle, although not knowing your car I'm only going by sound and how the car reacts. There are a few times across the runs where you could have gotten back into the throttle earlier coming out of a corner if you 'eased' into the throttle, but instead you just hammer it after coming out and end up having to catch the car as the back end trys to come around. To me that says that you are going from off-throttle, where the front tires are loaded and getting grip, to max (or lots of) throttle which causes the back tires to lose grip before the weight can transfer back to them for more grip.

Other than that, too much time coasting. In general on an autocross you should be on the gas, on the brakes, or some combination of the two. Normally even in a steady-state corner you should still have some gas going, not be coasting, even if that means you are also braking (left foot braking is a great thing to learn for autocross). That style of driving doesn't work for everyone, but if you figure it out, you can continuously be balancing the car with the throttle and brakes even in the corners. It's kind of hard to describe it, so I hope I'm not making it more confusing than I think I am.

In this video, listen to the engine. Notice that you can almost always hear that I'm in the throttle on corners, balancing the car by left-foot braking during the turns while still keeping in partial throttle. I think the video explains better than my description does, I hope.

https://vimeo.com/29585116

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

$800 in repairs and parts later... same goddamn problem with my Accord.

I'm starting to think it's the solder joints on the main relay circuit board failing. If I had the tools and didn't live in a downtown apartment I would resolder the loving thing myself, but even if I could I don't know if that's really a long term solution.

Back to the shop bright and early tomorrow morning to get the loving thing fixed. Again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I've heard using a prepaid visa gift card with no money on it on the air compressor machines works and while I advocate strongly for stealing air I will not bother attempting to do so
Huh. I have found a use for the *$0.02* prepaid card t-mobile sent me as a refund when I switched to verizon.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So this is a retarded question, but how in the hell do you embed a gifv from Imgur on these here forums? I followed the only instructions I could find, surrounding the link in a [url] tag, but that doesn't do anything other than just give me a clickable URL. Neither does putting it in an [img] tag either.

Surely I must be missing something here...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Work have decided to axe our phone system for a 'softphone' software replacement. Yesterday we moved over from our old IP based phone system. It's been a loving disaster. The software itself is complete loving garbage, incoherently laid out, does bizarre things with contacts in that it deletes them when you add a new one, needs to be signed in and out of daily, doesn't save your audio settings properly...

I'm wondering if they actually tested it for more than 5 minutes because it really doesn't seem so. It's super flaky. What's worse is we already have Skype for Business linked up to everything so this offers no advantages other than call forwarding to mobile devices, but if you can see the person you're calling is out of the office you'd contact them on their mobile anyway.

It's poo poo.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bajaha posted:

I've been a sucker for buying subsidised phones from Costco, but I'm also from one of the two blessed prairie provinces that have less rape-ey plans.

According to my contract I'm paying $55 per month, ~$49 dollars of which is to pay down the balance on the phone, and got paid a few hundred in Costco cash for taking an S7 edge under contract.

Only until the Bell buyout of MTS goes through fully, then you're into get-hosed-like-the-rest-of-Canada territory :(

I should have kept my MB number when I moved to Ontario, and my plan, because holy poo poo was it better AND cheaper than what I get out here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Siochain posted:

Only until the Bell buyout of MTS goes through fully, then you're into get-hosed-like-the-rest-of-Canada territory :(
Yep as landline and TV business keeps sliding they will do everything they can to prop up profits elsewhere like cell and internet any way they can.

I'm moving to a new build next month and while my internet service is fibre right to the home which is great, I am handcuffed to Telus for the foreseeable future because the CRTC hasn't opened that up to the 3rd party providers yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Fitness chat : I'm back down a pants size again.

• Locked thread