Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Silver2195 posted:

Before Legends became non-canon, everything Palpatine did was for the sake of saving the galaxy from the Yuzhan Vong, IIRC.

The easiest answer to "What two words are responsible for everything wrong in Star Wars?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Silver2195 posted:

Before Legends became non-canon, everything Palpatine did was for the sake of saving the galaxy from the Yuzhan Vong, IIRC.

New Jedi Order: not even once.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Taerkar posted:

The easiest answer to "What two words are responsible for everything wrong in Star Wars?"

What about "Lucas's solitude"?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Taerkar posted:

"Nerds" is only one word though

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Holiday Special" also fits.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

"Holiday Special" also fits.

you've confused 'right' with 'wrong' again

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Peanut Butler posted:

you've confused 'right' with 'wrong' again

I like how you're prepared to go to bat for 10 minutes of wookies screaming at each other but not the prequels.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Despera posted:

Quality Hitler derail
That derall was better than the ongoing Star Wars discussion.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

frankenfreak posted:

As if I needed another reason to hate Reagan...STAR WARS USES PROTON TORPEDOS, NOT PHOTON TORPEDOS! PHOTON WARHEADS ARE FROM STAR TREK, AS IS SCOTTY! SPELLED WITH A Y, NOT A GODDAMN IE!! :arghfist::spergin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Silver2195 posted:

Actually, that's not true. He did everything for power. You get a bunch of Imperials saying he might have been trying to unify the Galaxy to fight the Invasion, but they're Imperials and even then his choice of "unity" was to give himself all the power without any planning for when he'd die.

Also trap sprung I guess. gently caress.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

As if I needed another reason to hate Reagan...STAR WARS USES PROTON TORPEDOS, NOT PHOTON TORPEDOS! PHOTON WARHEADS ARE FROM STAR TREK, AS IS SCOTTY! SPELLED WITH A Y, NOT A GODDAMN IE!! :arghfist::spergin:

Conflating Star Wars and Star Trek is an appropriate joke there. This was a guy who'd confuse old movies with reality.

Also, that X-Wing has eight laser guns. How will it close its wings?

Sandpuppy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 28, 2017

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, that's not true. He did everything for power. You get a bunch of Imperials saying he might have been trying to unify the Galaxy to fight the Invasion, but they're Imperials and even then his choice of "unity" was to give himself all the power without any planning for when he'd die.

Also trap sprung I guess. gently caress.

Oh, there was planning.
Those plans are explained in one of the new novel trilogies that came out, the Aftermath series by Chuck Wendig.
Literally, the plan is "An Empire that couldn't keep me alive doesn't deserve to exist.", and so it is revealed that he had put plans into motion that would be sure to finish off the rest of the Empire in case he ever died, with a select few chosen to be hiding outside of the galaxy to rebuild.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

the_steve posted:

Oh, there was planning.
Those plans are explained in one of the new novel trilogies that came out, the Aftermath series by Chuck Wendig.
Literally, the plan is "An Empire that couldn't keep me alive doesn't deserve to exist.", and so it is revealed that he had put plans into motion that would be sure to finish off the rest of the Empire in case he ever died, with a select few chosen to be hiding outside of the galaxy to rebuild.

Now that's the Sheev I know and love.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

the_steve posted:

Oh, there was planning.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Now that's the Sheev I know and love.

Different continuity. He wasn't even called Sheev in Legends.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Three straight $4,000 jeans cartoons.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Time for some foreign cartoons!

From Austria

From Austria

From Russia

From Switzerland

From Spain

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Sandpuppy posted:

Conflating Star Wars and Star Trek is an appropriate joke there. This was a guy who'd confuse old movies with reality.

Also, that X-Wing has eight laser guns. How will it close its wings?

I thought if that while I was in the middle of my gross nerd rant, but I was in too deep to care.

Not sure which part to attack first...

"The thing I was ranting about yesterday is actually an indicator of late-stage capitalism, which means it's suddenly good now", or "Our enemies actually hate us because of our freedoms :smuggo: (specifically the ones I despise and rail against and fought tooth and nail to prevent)".

Either way, I hope drunk duck forgets to wear his seatbelt the next time he drives drunk (and that he hits an inanimate object, instead of a car with actual people in it).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Scholtz posted:

Every Branco has a hilarious punchline in the "@reagan.com" email address.

Look again. It got funnier.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

frankenfreak posted:

Star Wars is some kinda fantasy thing, right?

Meanwhile, relevant to Trump:

And I found the Reagan equivalent of "Dow Soars! Economy Humming!"

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah, the enemy was too dumb. That's why they maneuvered around the line, through Belgium, instead of attacking it head-on, just as the designers had intended.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Meanwhile, relevant to Trump:

Not pictured is that after a big umbrella fight, we made Japan sign an agreement that said they would only have that tiny bamboo umbrella (to avoid them participating in another umbrella fight), and that, to compensate, we would let them share our umbrella.

Also, the rain is North Korean aggression, so they kinda need an umbrella.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I've never heard a college professor refuse to say conservatives hate us for believing in the rights of gays, women, and nonchristians.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Kopijeger posted:

Yeah, the enemy was too dumb. That's why they maneuvered around the line, through Belgium, instead of attacking it head-on, just as the designers had intended.

:thejoke:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Not convinced. It seems like the cartoonist believed that the Maginot line fell to direct attack because "the enemy was too dumb to realize" that it was impenetrable.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Bruce Tinsley probably wrote a senior thesis. It was probably about how women and gay rights are a stronger driving force in international politics than poverty and violence. It was probably rejected because every citation was "google it" "look it up it's true".

This is why he hates professors.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
But you hate women and gay people. And so does almost every single person who justifies their Islamaphobia with "they're throwing gay people off buildings!", it seems.
Seriously, this might be the biggest ongoing trend of concern-trolling I've ever loving seen. The same people who constantly insult, attack, and demean various minority groups will then point out how patriotic we are as a country for supporting them when those SAVAGES in the Middle East attack them. Tinsley hates people who are gay, black, transgender, or female, but when the Middle East comes up he's running around bragging like he's always been their best ally. gently caress you, Tinsley. Weren't you super vocal against gay marriage? So yeah, trumpet on about how you think gay people have rights when you were fighting those rights every step of the way.

I used to think Tinsley was bland but these days he's easily one of my most hated artists. What an absolute piece of poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kopijeger posted:

Not convinced. It seems like the cartoonist believed that the Maginot line fell to direct attack because "the enemy was too dumb to realize" that it was impenetrable.

No, that's :thejoke:. It starts off by saying it has to "embrace ignorance" to see its value.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Fret not, Tinsley, as a college educator I very much believe our enemies hate our tolerance for women, gay people, and other religions. After all, that's why they're constantly trying to cut our funding.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 28, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Tinsley is probably the biggest hack among all the thread regulars. In terms of dull, uninspired commentary, only Rall comes anywhere close, and at least Rall's is outside the mainstream. Seriously, he thought a "kids are buying expensive ripped jeans??" joke was good enough to stretch out to three strips in 2017. I don't think any of the other thread regulars have reached that level of "who cares, they'll print anything." The only reason that loving comic exists is so newspaper editors can deflect complaints about Doonesbury being too liberal with "we have a conservative comic too, see, we're representing both sides."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Silver2195 posted:

Different continuity. He wasn't even called Sheev in Legends.

He's Sheev in Aftermath.
At least, that's what he tells the kid responsible for finishing off the Empire in the event of his demise. We also now have a genderfluid space pirate running a pirate town out of a stolen Star Destroyer, so that's fun.

Either way, I would recommend the books if only for Sinjir Rath Velus, he is such a delightful bastard. And now I'm going to stop making GBS threads up the thread with Star Wars novels.
Here, have a Rogers.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Replace enemies with conservatives

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought the "they hate us for our freedom" thing died with George W Bush but I guess I was wrong!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Taerkar posted:

George Lucas?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"blue jeans"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

"Jizz Wailers"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I see, Tinsley is a pacifist. He only wants to deny gays, women, and atheists rights because he wants peace with the enemies.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

That is absolutely the joke. The reference to the Maginot line is "An insanely expensive defence project to give you a false sense of security that the enemy will absolutely focus on finding a cheap, effective way to neutralise".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Cat Mattress posted:

I see, Tinsley is a pacifist. He only wants to deny gays, women, and atheists rights because he wants peace with the enemies.

Is he really arguing that women shouldn't have rights? Really?

• Locked thread