Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is that based on any actual fact though? I can't say I know anyone that would go to a lunch place that serves a $15 plate of food, and if the price was $18 they would think it's too high and go somewhere else. Same with high-priced places; if I'm already paying $100 a plate, the price jumping to $120 is not exactly a mind-boggling price increase.

I have made plenty of decisions like that, and know many others who have. It's not like my choice is "is that $15 dinner worth it at $18?", it's "should I get similar food for $15 or $18?" since there will be some other place I can eat. Maybe In the tipping case it's a bit different, since if you think about it you'll know you're paying the same but it might not feel that way - instinct driving your customers away isn't so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Been a long time since I posted Botchamania

https://vimeo.com/209248750

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is that based on any actual fact though? I can't say I know anyone that would go to a lunch place that serves a $15 plate of food, and if the price was $18 they would think it's too high and go somewhere else. Same with high-priced places; if I'm already paying $100 a plate, the price jumping to $120 is not exactly a mind-boggling price increase.

I can understand it. I'm not happy about paying $15 for lunch, certainly not $18, if this a is a place I intend on getting my lunch regularly at. There is a reason why fast food is a big thriving industry, and it ain't the food quality.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rasmus posted:

There is a reason why fast food is a big thriving industry, and it ain't the food quality.

Is it because there's no tipping at fast food outlets?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is that based on any actual fact though?

Yes. Restaurants are one of the most price-elastic things there are. If prices go up, absolutely people switch to less expensive alternatives...including not eating out at all. Eating out in a restaurant is literally the textbook example of price elasticity of demand.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2804646/

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Yes. Restaurants are one of the most price-elastic things there are. If prices go up, absolutely people switch to less expensive alternatives...including not eating out at all. Eating out in a restaurant is literally the textbook example of price elasticity of demand.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2804646/

Restaurants are competing with every other source of food out there, from the local McDonalds to gently caress IT I'LL PACK A SANDWICH.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Alright, fair enough. I'm just going on my own experience, and the fact that prices have steadily gone up since forever, and restaurants are no less packed than always.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Alright, fair enough. I'm just going on my own experience, and the fact that prices have steadily gone up since forever, and restaurants are no less packed than always.

Restaurants are definitely less packed than they used to be, but it's not like a big catastrophe; the niche is just a little smaller than it used to be.

I did find an article from last year of a local restauranteur that tried it at his restaurants for a while and stopped mostly because of guest confusion and indifference.

Eliminating tipping isn't really something anyone here wants. :shrug: It's not an even comparison to undocumented farm laborers anyway; these guys are still being paid, and they are paying taxes too (at least on their credit card tips, which is the majority).

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

$15 or $18 a lunch is absurd unless you are talking post tip and taxes and even then its probably too much.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

schreibs posted:

$15 or $18 a lunch is absurd unless you are talking post tip and taxes and even then its probably too much.

$11-14 for a sandwich and side at an okayish restaurant or a mediocre one in downtown and $3 for a soda or coffee is absolutely reasonable here.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

$11-14 for a sandwich and side at an okayish restaurant or a mediocre one in downtown and $3 for a soda or coffee is absolutely reasonable here.

I found the extra $3 I am not used to. Thanks!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

Restaurants are definitely less packed than they used to be, but it's not like a big catastrophe; the niche is just a little smaller than it used to be.

I did find an article from last year of a local restauranteur that tried it at his restaurants for a while and stopped mostly because of guest confusion and indifference.

Eliminating tipping isn't really something anyone here wants. :shrug: It's not an even comparison to undocumented farm laborers anyway; these guys are still being paid, and they are paying taxes too (at least on their credit card tips, which is the majority).

Instead of building the gratuity into the meal, could he have just paid a reasonable wage to the staff?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

chitoryu12 posted:

Instead of building the gratuity into the meal, could he have just paid a reasonable wage to the staff?

Yeah it was weird that he added the gratuity on separately rather than raising prices, but do understand that restaurants operate on incredibly slim profit margins and raising wages would require raising prices, which is the original problem I was talking about.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Restaurants have to be packed to turn a profit. The reason you don't see empty restaurants is because when demand goes down, restaurants just go out of business until the supply/demand re-balances to the point that the remaining restaurants are busy enough to remain profitable.

That said a local McDonalds chain owner was crying that he needs to be able to hire sub minimum wage foreign workers who get instantly deported if fired or don't perform well or else he'll go out of business because locals just don't want to work for his pay or put up with his bullshit abusive management style. The restaurant industry is full of horrible horrible people and the thin margins can turn many owners into insane libertarians that feel entitled to slaves.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There are a lot of very bad restaurant owners out there, yeah, it's not a very kind industry to work in on the whole.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
$15 for a meal? Jesus. I think I'll stick with the Tesco £3 ($3.77) Meal Deal.

When at work I normally buy something like this
£2.35 sandwich or sub (488 cal)
£1.25 Coke 500ml or £1.39 Monster energy 500ml
£0.80 chocolate bar or salted peanuts

That comes to around £4.50 for the Tesco £3 Meal Deal.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Ak Gara posted:

Now factor in the future health care expenses.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

Like they do in the entire rest of the world? Nope, can't possibly do that!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ak Gara posted:

This is literally what dine in restaurants with more staff and higher overhead are competing with. That is exactly his point of why they don't want to be seen raising their prices even if you end up paying the same without the tip.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

yaffle posted:

That is in pounds, NHS is free. Idiot.

:btroll: it up op

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In Canada fast food is often the same price or like a dollar cheaper than a real restaurant and I don't understand why anyone goes there. I'll walk down the street and go to a cute little mom and pop sushi place and have a nice sit-down full service lunch for like $7. Or I'll go to the thai place and get one of their dinner sized orders for like $13 and have left-overs for the next day. But people in my office never do that, they always go to fast food because "I can't afford to eat fancy food" but they'll manage to spend $7 or more going to Subway or McDonalds or something disgusting. There's just this idea that fast food = cheap.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/amp/60-percent-customers-disliked-groundbreaking-no-tip-trial-n573521

This was an example. Joe's Crab shack tried a no tipping policy, and they are a national chin. Not huge, but I imagine most major cities have one in the US? 130 restaurants nationwide per the article. They ditched the experiment due to customers and employees both complaining.

When asked, everyone seems to want to ditch the typing system, but nonetheless it seems to fill every time I see an article.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Baronjutter posted:

In Canada fast food is often the same price or like a dollar cheaper than a real restaurant and I don't understand why anyone goes there. I'll walk down the street and go to a cute little mom and pop sushi place and have a nice sit-down full service lunch for like $7. Or I'll go to the thai place and get one of their dinner sized orders for like $13 and have left-overs for the next day. But people in my office never do that, they always go to fast food because "I can't afford to eat fancy food" but they'll manage to spend $7 or more going to Subway or McDonalds or something disgusting. There's just this idea that fast food = cheap.

The same is true where I live in the US (Maine, AKA "Canada South"). But, having a toddler, I kind of get the appeal of drive through, if not the sit-down experience of fast food. If we're on our way home from whatever and we're all hungry, it's simpler and faster, especially with a two year old, to not get out of the car to get some food. Otherwise, though, I agree. Fast food has not been really cheap for quite a long time.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Where's that kid-kicking video?

Open faced sandwich, etc

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
https://youtu.be/K99CqaltNd8

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Ak Gara posted:

Why did you tell us the calorie count of the sub? We really didn't need it to get an idea of your overall diet

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

Why not just cut to the chase and save money by consuming raw brown sugar right out of the bag.

2KG should last you a couple lunches.

Use a permanent marker pen to write "diet" on the side of the packaging so you can convince yourself you're eating ok.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Don't fear, our salty/sugary meal deal loving friend is going to have some bad news soon as Brexit is going to push the cost up to the region of £3.50 :O

Also, the correct meal deal is a egg&cress sandwich, an orange juice and a packet of quavers. HTH

Ratjaculation has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Mar 28, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Why did you tell us the calorie count of the sub? We really didn't need it to get an idea of your overall diet

To show it wasn't some lovely wafer thin sandwich. I was also showing what the maximum value you can get for the Meal Deal. You could choose smaller lesser stuff that actually totals upto LESS than £3 but Chicken Salad + 750ml bottle of water + Pringles is popular.

Ratjaculation posted:

Don't fear, our salty/sugary meal deal loving friend is going to have some bad news soon as Brexit is going to push the cost up to the region of £3.50 :O

Also, the correct meal deal is a egg&cress sandwich, an orange juice and a packet of quavers. HTH

I remember when it used to be £2.50...

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

Fascinating. Do go on in this, the most appropriate of threads to discuss your meal habits.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Found out today that I'm related to Strom Thurmond through my dad's side. I don't know how short the link is and I'm not sure I want to :suicide:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

deong posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/amp/60-percent-customers-disliked-groundbreaking-no-tip-trial-n573521

This was an example. Joe's Crab shack tried a no tipping policy, and they are a national chin. Not huge, but I imagine most major cities have one in the US? 130 restaurants nationwide per the article. They ditched the experiment due to customers and employees both complaining.

When asked, everyone seems to want to ditch the typing system, but nonetheless it seems to fill every time I see an article.

The point behind tipping was supposed to be rewarding good service with extra money. It seems like every failure is by places that do something weird like eliminating tipping altogether or adding automatic gratuity to the meal and then wondering why it confuses people.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

The point behind tipping was supposed to be rewarding good service with extra money. It seems like every failure is by places that do something weird like eliminating tipping altogether or adding automatic gratuity to the meal and then wondering why it confuses people.

Don't forget to tip your customs agent for smiling when they stamp your passport or the parcel delivery dude when you need to sign for a thing someone sent you.

US politicians must have amazing customer service because holy poo poo do they rake it in with the tips.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I hate going on holiday and being dragged to restaurants/bars that Americans also visit because often the staff will then, hearing you're a native English speaker (even when you speak the local language), assume you're American and expect you to tip 20%, even for lovely service and overpriced food - and they're more likely to treat you like poo poo, too. Whether that's anti-Americanism or Americans abroad just being turds, I don't know, but it sucks and I'm really going to have to ask you guys to just stay home until you get your poo poo sorted out, because you're loving it up for the rest of us. Thanks

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I hate going on holiday and being dragged to restaurants/bars that Americans also visit because often the staff will then, hearing you're a native English speaker (even when you speak the local language), assume you're American and expect you to tip 20%, even for lovely service and overpriced food - and they're more likely to treat you like poo poo, too. Whether that's anti-Americanism or Americans abroad just being turds, I don't know, but it sucks and I'm really going to have to ask you guys to just stay home until you get your poo poo sorted out, because you're loving it up for the rest of us. Thanks

E: gently caress, thought this was the visiting europe thread. Nevermind.

orange sky has a new favorite as of 12:04 on Mar 28, 2017

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Say friends, does anyone have opinions on circumcision?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

Just the tip

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

zakharov posted:

My body my choice
Need that can of worms emote...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yaffle posted:

Wow, now that he ate a piece of bread, he's pretty much a ticking time bomb.

The only marginally unhealthy thing in that is the energy drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This derail has been so long, I don't remember what counts as schadenfreude anymore.

Is this schadenfreude?

Ha ha she's being tickled and she can't help it! :classiclol:

DMV workers, amirite? Glad I'm not that bunny!

Kid's mom died in childbirth. His dad banishes him to the labyrinth whenever he misbehaves or asks for food too often. All dad wanted was a blowjob now he has 18 years of hell. Haha stupid kid, owned!

This person has alzheimer's and forgot how to make a sandwich! LOL!