Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I might catch some flack for this, but the second boss fight loving sucks.

Save yourself some trouble and play it in offline mode. It still sucks, but at least you can just power through it and move on with the DLC.

"Let's do an Old Monk style fight!" = potentially good idea

"Let's do an Old Monk style fight where the player gets gangbanged by adds and projectiles also!" = not like, the best idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I just feel like I missed something with that area.

Souls games are usually methodical, and it's your own fault if you get hit... but in this area you have to run past everything? If you stand still they'll spawn curse on you, if you stop to fight anything you'll get cursed, shot or poisoned and you can't even get to the bodies without facetanking shots from the angels? Also there are several spots where you can't actually see where it's safe to run to, so you just gotta run and hope that you're going in the right direction. This hut can't be entered? Well gently caress you, die and try again. It feels like trial and error, not Dark Souls :smith:

Especially the second body (not the one overlooking the swamp but the one further out). As far as I can tell you need to run along the post-pyromancer root bridge head-on from the angel while facetanking shots in order to even reach the body (and the next bonfire, thank god) and that just feels completely wrong..

I fully admit (and hope) that I might be missing something with this one though :unsmith:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

Now how the gently caress do I get past the ghost archers?!

The surround you, look for alternate paths and if you have to take cover try and have 360 degree cover, just keep moving

Man the DLC was fun I did feel The ending was super meh, especially for the "Last" DLC

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I just feel like I missed something with that area.

Souls games are usually methodical, and it's your own fault if you get hit... but in this area you have to run past everything? If you stand still they'll spawn curse on you, if you stop to fight anything you'll get cursed, shot or poisoned and you can't even get to the bodies without facetanking shots from the angels? Also there are several spots where you can't actually see where it's safe to run to, so you just gotta run and hope that you're going in the right direction. This hut can't be entered? Well gently caress you, die and try again. It feels like trial and error, not Dark Souls :smith:

Especially the second body (not the one overlooking the swamp but the one further out). As far as I can tell you need to run along the post-pyromancer root bridge head-on from the angel while facetanking shots in order to even reach the body (and the next bonfire, thank god) and that just feels completely wrong..

I fully admit (and hope) that I might be missing something with this one though :unsmith:

I still haven't reached the second one yet because I keep fooling around in the relative safety of the swamp. But reaching the first one isn't a big deal. It's a pretty straight path up the root and there are plenty of places to hide along the way.

I'll see how I feel about this as I make my way up to the second.

So far though this doesn't feel that different from Old Yharnam in Bloodborne.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 28, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

So far though this doesn't feel that different from Old Yharnam in Bloodborne.

Never played that :smith:

Also someone tell me that Totally Not Patches ends up kicking you off a cliff and taking the Dark Soul (and every trinket off your corpse) for himself, ending the series for good (don't actually)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Never played that :smith:

Wellll you should

Anyway the second one is for sure a way longer trek but you only have to run into its attack for a very short dash. You can shelter behind the higher root and heal and catch your breath. The scariest part is the fall, I dunno if there's a good way to not take damage there and if you get hit right afterwards it seems like you could take an unpleasant death. A quick dodge to the side though and you're safe for the rest of the way. I can see how it could be frustrating but I had a good time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Wellll you should

Anyway the second one is for sure a way longer trek but you only have to run into its attack for a very short dash. You can shelter behind the higher root and heal and catch your breath. The scariest part is the fall, I dunno if there's a good way to not take damage there and if you get hit right afterwards it seems like you could take an unpleasant death. A quick dodge to the side though and you're safe for the rest of the way. I can see how it could be frustrating but I had a good time.

Believe me I want to, but I just don't have the kind of money to buy a console for a single game :negative:

I'm gonna look for that on the next character. The place I died (twice) on this character was the final dash where it's just a straight path and the angel straight ahead. Maybe I could've dropped off sooner than I did? Either way I was pelted with attacks for long enough that I had to chug estus to survive and it felt like "there's no way this is how you're supposed to do it"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

That's all there is. I don't know why From expects me to give a crap about their stupid painting full of murderous crows.

Ughhhh. I really wanna like this DLC. But for a conclusion to the series its leaving me wanting so badly. The biggest question I had will forever go unanswered because From doesn't care about DS2 enough.
I just... didn't like it. It was largely nonsense; I get that time is fluid and we're going increasingly into the future and all that poo poo but it doesn't actually tell me anything about anything. The new areas are pretty but the framerate drops in the Dreg Heap are unforgivable and every area is filled with utter bullshit: Invincible enemies, the giants' summons constantly attacking you, the headless guys are easy but are giant HP sponges that are boring to kill, the locusts and wretch guys are utterly forgettable, basically only the Ringed Knights were cool and decent enemies. One so-so boss (Demon Prince), one cool idea with questionable execution (the Spears boss), and one that's legitimately awesome (Gael). Everything else was either aggravating (was Miyazaki molested by a swamp as a child?) or pointless. For how long the wait was, there just didn't feel like much of consequence there. It was about as long as The Old Hunters, maybe longer, but The Old Hunters was absolutely dripping with lore and meaningful (and well-made) boss fights and the new weapons in it were legitimately exciting to get. The only super cool weapon in the DLC seems to be the dual UGS, which is just too hilarious not to be amazing.

Oh and most important, the optional boss fight against Midir is absolute horseshit. Too much defense and HP and he's impossible to loving hit despite being the size of a house. I tried everything and just ended up whacking his feet with Carthus Rouge Anri's because bleeding him was the only way to do any damage at all outside of the occasional moments where his loving face would sit still long enough to get hit, making bleed once again the answer to everything that isn't Dragonslayer Armour. If neither a UGS nor an Exile Greatsword can even hit a boss, the boss's hitboxes are loving terrible. And maybe the arena doesn't need to be like thirty times the size of Ebrietas's? Just a thought.

The DS3 DLC felt... okay, but not really worth the time spent waiting or the price I paid for it. For the pace of release and the amount of content I think I enjoyed DS2's DLC more. And with DS1's we really had no expectations for it and so it's hard to be let down by it (and it was pretty great). I just feel like DS3 swung and missed on a lot of things and the DLC is symptomatic of most of that. With the whole series complete there's no question in my mind that Bloodborne + The Old Hunters is the best full package, probably followed by Scholar.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

dang, blew threw the dlc (sans the dragon in the hole) in ~4 hours at SL ~95. the final boss was pretty neat and well designed but really just required a bit of patience, nothing too surprising. i think nameless king still takes the cake for most challenging boss in the game which is a bit of a disappointment. time to go crawling through item descriptions and other things i might have missed out on!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I don't think I'm gonna bother with finishing this. it looks nice but I'm not enjoying it on any level beyond aesthetic right now

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the dual ultra greatswords are amazing :allears:

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
The fatties really drag the DLC down. That section in the city with 6 of them is so tedious, either keep kiting them to the bridge for drop attacks or try and fight them normally which takes ages because they have a ridiculous amount of HP. I love the souls series and I hope From come back to it eventually but its pretty clear they're running low on ideas.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo that first boss is sick

Too tired to tackle this tonight so that's where I'm calling it. DLC owns so far.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
2000 hours into these games and I might actually just give up on this. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with this angel poo poo (other than respec full vit until I can find a bonfire? but gently caress that) and I don't really fancy dying over and over again without any idea of what to do better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know I enjoyed the Dreg Heap but I know a lot of people hate area like that so I really gotta wonder why From decided to make it the first DLC area.

"Combining Earthen Peek and Blighttown together? A bold move that I'm sure plenty of people will love."- Miyazaki, apparently.

How the hell do people struggle with the angels so much though? Just run from cover to cover.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

The fatties really drag the DLC down. That section in the city with 6 of them is so tedious, either keep kiting them to the bridge for drop attacks or try and fight them normally which takes ages because they have a ridiculous amount of HP. I love the souls series and I hope From come back to it eventually but its pretty clear they're running low on ideas.

the bonfire is right after them so just run past them. once the swamp starts turn right immideatly until you see an opening.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gnumonic posted:

2000 hours into these games and I might actually just give up on this. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with this angel poo poo (other than respec full vit until I can find a bonfire? but gently caress that) and I don't really fancy dying over and over again without any idea of what to do better.

Use cover, run fast, find the first angel. The level design points you right towards him. Once that's done the swamp is totally safe to explore. When you're ready head up along the roots to either get to the next bonfire or find the next angel. It's challenging but there's nothing unfair about it and you don't need to tank angel shots.

Internet Kraken posted:

How the hell do people struggle with the angels so much though? Just run from cover to cover.

Yeah I really don't get it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Optional (?) boss spoilers:

Has anyone tried cutting the tail? :haw: Also does it have an absolutely crazy amount of HP or is it one of those "you must hit the head" type bosses? I gave it one attempt before going back to explore the bug swamp more.

Also protip for anyone who cares about lore: go back and talk to NPCs! I've been going back and forth and at least the old pilgrim woman has had some interesting things to say. Like straight up telling you that the first boss is the Demon Prince that Lorian fought :woop:

e: actually I might misremembering. Was it another NPC who said that? Either way the NPCs have interesting things to say and details that you wouldn't get if you didn't backtrack!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 28, 2017

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Use cover, run fast, find the first angel. The level design points you right towards him. Once that's done the swamp is totally safe to explore. When you're ready head up along the roots to either get to the next bonfire or find the next angel. It's challenging but there's nothing unfair about it and you don't need to tank angel shots.

Uh, I shot the first angel to death and another one immediately respawned. I can get precisely nowhere outside of cover in the swamp area at all without dying. (I'm kind of low level, but nothing else in the game or the first dlc was really a problem at 75).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gnumonic posted:

Uh, I shot the first angel to death and another one immediately respawned. I can get precisely nowhere outside of cover in the swamp area at all without dying. (I'm kind of low level, but nothing else in the game or the first dlc was really a problem at 75).

You're not supposed to shoot them. You need to find the grotesque thing on the ground that is controlling them. If you go back to the very first one before you get to Earthen Peak and look around you'll see one right out in the open, it's teaching you how to handle them when you are up against two at once.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Your Computer posted:

Optional (?) boss spoilers:

Has anyone tried cutting the tail? :haw: Also does it have an absolutely crazy amount of HP or is it one of those "you must hit the head" type bosses? I gave it one attempt before going back to explore the bug swamp more.
I tried to cut the tail but it's almost impossible to hit and the back 2/3 of it seems to not have a hitbox. I was able to get some damage in on it but nothing substantive. He has a shitload of HP and hitting him anywhere but the head seems to do half damage, sort of like Amygdala in BB. It's just really hard to hit the rear end in a top hat at all, and God help you if you have phantoms because he'll spaz out and flail around constantly not really being a huge threat but being an enormous pain to hit. It's so great when he dashes across his mile wide arena and you have to loving jog to his rear end to continue the fight. It's not like he's even taking advantage of the range, he's actually nearly harmless when he's far away, he's just being a dick.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There really should of been a message that blatantly said "DON'T SHOOT THE ANGELS" cause based on this thread and my invasions, way too many people try that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

There really should of been a message that blatantly said "DON'T SHOOT THE ANGELS" cause based on this thread and my invasions, way too many people try that.

Maybe they shouldn't have provided the tower falling that gives you an alternate path to the first bonfire because maybe that's how people are missing the teaching moment?? I dunno

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
im confused why the bow even excists except the greatbows since they are almost always really lovely solutions to anything. greatbows own because you can cause people to fall off ledges though.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Iretep posted:

the bonfire is right after them so just run past them. once the swamp starts turn right immideatly until you see an opening.

I found the bonfire but on my first playthrough I really hate running past enemies, that's something thats reserved for areas I've already cleared or the poison swamp levels.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wish for a world where everyone used spoiler tags :smith:

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have provided the tower falling that gives you an alternate path to the first bonfire because maybe that's how people are missing the teaching moment?? I dunno

:agreed:
I only found it because I decided to backtrack in case I missed something. Turns out I missed something quite important! I can definitely see people just bypassing it and never learning how it works.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I found the bonfire but on my first playthrough I really hate running past enemies, that's something thats reserved for areas I've already cleared or the poison swamp levels.

if youve already killed them all once or twice i dont really any point in not just running past them to find the bonfire.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Iretep posted:

if youve already killed them all once or twice i dont really any point in not just running past them to find the bonfire.

I got them all the first go, its just that replaying on another character/sunbroing randoms through the area I know there's that bit of poo poo to look forward to.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This DLC was basically absolute horseshit design wise and lore wise from top to bottom. I think I actually hate it. I already wasn't a fan of the first DLC, but this was on a whole other level.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Second boss question: How do you get summoned for it? Do I have to beat that dragon boss and go back to the lady behind the door?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Uhhh... before I fly into a gibbering panic.... my savegame is gone? I haven't played since I completed Ashes of Ariandel and I just loaded up the game and my save isn't there :stare:

If I look in my users folder there is still a save game there dated for today, please for the love of God tell me the game hasn't somehow overwritten my 130+ hour savegame with a blank file, and this is just some kind of server issue from the new release? :ohdear:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Uhhh... before I fly into a gibbering panic.... my savegame is gone? I haven't played since I completed Ashes of Ariandel and I just loaded up the game and my save isn't there :stare:

If I look in my users folder there is still a save game there dated for today, please for the love of God tell me the game hasn't somehow overwritten my 130+ hour savegame with a blank file, and this is just some kind of server issue from the new release? :ohdear:

Have you switched computers/had to reformat/etc. since last playing it? Cause it doesn't use cloud saves or back you up anywhere online.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

Second boss question: How do you get summoned for it? Do I have to beat that dragon boss and go back to the lady behind the door?
Beat the optional boss. It drops the covenant item. I presume you just equip that and be in the zone for the chance to be summoned?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Have you switched computers/had to reformat/etc. since last playing it? Cause it doesn't use cloud saves or back you up anywhere online.

I did actually, I just had a look in the windows.old folder and found a savegame from the end of October last year, so I think I might be saved :pray:

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

You're not supposed to shoot them. You need to find the grotesque thing on the ground that is controlling them. If you go back to the very first one before you get to Earthen Peak and look around you'll see one right out in the open, it's teaching you how to handle them when you are up against two at once.

So I found and killed that one and I still haven't the slightest idea where the ugly thing for the swamp angel is. I'm just gonna wait til I can find a video showing the location, the fun part of this game is the combat, not running aimlessly into instant death for hours on end. It's like they thought the bed of chaos would be a great design choice for a whole level, this is awful.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

What levels are people doing this at? supposedly the DLC is scaled for 120 +?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Stormgale posted:

I did it at 80 and managed fine. Regardless of levels, this DLC is definitely meant for character with fully upgraded gear though. The only upgrade materials you find are chunks and slabs.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

So I found and killed that one and I still haven't the slightest idea where the ugly thing for the swamp angel is. I'm just gonna wait til I can find a video showing the location, the fun part of this game is the combat, not running aimlessly into instant death for hours on end. It's like they thought the bed of chaos would be a great design choice for a whole level, this is awful.

When you drop down to the area run to the little shack in front of you. Wait for the angel to use the curse attack and then run to the cave ahead of you, it can't fire bolts while its using the cave attack. Heal up and use a moss in the cave, you'll see a root on the far right hand side of the swamp that you can run up. Run up there and follow the path to find a building you can drop on to and run across, the ugly thing is up there.

Stormgale posted:

I'm at 85 and getting summoned basically as soon as I drop my sign.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Does there seem to be any clear elemental weakness among the monsters or bosses to exploit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

I did it at 80 and managed fine. Regardless of levels, this DLC is definitely meant for character with fully upgraded gear though. The only upgrade materials you find are chunks and slabs.
Chunks drop like Large Shards and Slabs drop like Chunks in the DLC. It's definitely tuned for endgame/postgame, so at least 60+ and more comfortably 80-100+.

Time_pants posted:

Does there seem to be any clear elemental weakness among the monsters or bosses to exploit?
The first bosses seem weak to Dark. The optional boss is probably weak to Lightning, if nothing else he seems resistant to physical and magical damage. Status-wise, it seems that every single boss can bleed although some bleed harder than others.