Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Hunt11 posted:

Engineer update:

So this is what I have proposed for my current engineers to start working on in regards to a new defensive line.

The question I have is what else is needed or requested?

As a point of note I tried to make sure there are no gaps that the Germans can really take advantage of. And with this setup there is only one real potential weak spot that can be covered up with barbed wire.

Oh, sorry for the late question, but what is the purpose of staggering the trenches like that? Especially in the south, it seems better to just extend the trench from the vallee and maybe add some blocks in it. And in the north I'd suggest digging the trenches a bit more than 8" in front of Frere Droit, to give us the option of a fallback in the field that's out of rifle range from our trenches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Lenoon

I have updated your artillery orders.

See the The Original Order Post

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Istvun posted:

Oh, sorry for the late question, but what is the purpose of staggering the trenches like that? Especially in the south, it seems better to just extend the trench from the vallee and maybe add some blocks in it. And in the north I'd suggest digging the trenches a bit more than 8" in front of Frere Droit, to give us the option of a fallback in the field that's out of rifle range from our trenches?

The idea of those trenches to the north is that they are just far enough away from the forest that any German attack will have to leave the forest and will not be able to hide their machine gun in it whilst it shoots our men. The trenches in the south can do both, especially when we get more guys but the point is to try and create a false weakness in our line whilst also not giving the Germans a hint at our trench work in the Vallee.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infantry Engineer 2: Once the wire work is complete back towards Vallee and built wire as indicated. Once that is done build a trench that connects to the row of trenches already made running north to south in the Vallee as indicated.

Mounted Engineer 1: Sep up wire as indicated on the map before getting to work on creating trenches that are just out of range of any machine gun fire on the forest but are also ready to fire on any idiots attempting to use the road and get caught in the wire.

Mounted Engineer 2: Once your current work is finished go and dig two trenches right in front of Ferme Solitaire.

Emergency Orders

Fall back away from the enemy to the west end of Saucisson Vallee and set up wire across the road (Infantry engineer) before starting work on trenches on either side of the road that are outside the Vallee.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brigadier General Mllaneza, 21st Bde, 7th Div

*******************************************************************************************

Fatigue tokens: 1, will gain 2nd token at 0800 tomorrow

*******************************************************************************************

ORDERS FOR 21st INFANTRY BRIGADE

Redeploy North to hold the trenches in the SE corner of Effyaders.

Form up to move

Advance

Into the trenches

Once in the trenches assume a Defense stance.
Stand your ground
Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

And of course, unoccupied companies not in trenches will dig in.

Conditional.

If an enemy is encountered while advancing, charge to contact, kill them with bayonets, and then take the trenches.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 28, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Initiate cavalry charge like this:

Hopefully, my MG and my artillery are already in position to take shots at the enemy. That east Arse Hortillery ought to put the boot down on any enemy indirect fire attempts nearby.

Once all enemies in Foret de Effyaders and in close proximity to the given trajectory (on my side of the fords) are dealt with, proceed to take positions given here:

Standing orders when on the attack:
Mount
Keep moving along original path
Launch a Cavalry Charge
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Standing orders when in defensive stance:
Dismount
Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Conditional order when in defensive stance: If the enemy manages to bayonet/cavalry charge you or 21st infantry brigade, you are to mount, take up attack stance, and countercharge the enemy in question, fighting them off before returning to the above positions.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I'm impressed that not only is my dad still alive, but also prospering! Didn't Trin say you would get some more companies if you were still alive?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

Initiate cavalry charge like this:

Hopefully, my MG and my artillery are already in position to take shots at the enemy. That east Arse Hortillery ought to put the boot down on any enemy indirect fire attempts nearby.

Once all enemies in Foret de Effyaders and in close proximity to the given trajectory (on my side of the fords) are dealt with, proceed to take positions given here:

Standing orders when on the attack:
Mount
Keep moving along original path
Launch a Cavalry Charge
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Standing orders when in defensive stance:
Dismount
Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Conditional order when in defensive stance: If the enemy manages to bayonet/cavalry charge you or 21st infantry brigade, you are to mount, take up attack stance, and countercharge the enemy in question, fighting them off before returning to the above positions.

Orders look good. I do have one question.

What will the two RHA batteries and the MG team doing if they can;t get LOS on targets during the charge?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 28, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

AbortRetryFail posted:

Lenoon

I have updated your artillery orders.

See the The Original Order Post

I've edited the post but literally had a nightmare about counter-artillery fire. If they've been spotted and we've been spotted the wise choice for both of us is to move the gently caress out of position. So instead we're not doing that, but I presume the germans are, because they've been incredibly skittish all day. Do we have a spotter plane this turn? If I were them I'd be shifting the arty south to push of from what they think is a fantastic position over their ford/bridge thing. I can spend some indirect missions on hitting where they were/might be. Thoughts would be appreciated.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

If you hit them first they can't hit you. That's the purpose of the initial counter-battery against the only ones that have you in range I put in the order post. The other thing is they may just keep assisting their own units and ignore counter-battery altogether, since only 3 of their guns can hit you. This is the most likely situation IMO.

If they creep forward to go full on counter-battery, our horse artillery will get some shots on them making the position untenable. I'm on roll20 if you want to discuss it in real time.

Edit: I just noticed you aren't hitting their field guns down south in your new orders. This must be done otherwise we are going to be hit by them the entire turn and there's nothing we can do about it.

Edit2: Oh yes you are, just a little bit later on. I think Trin will probably want your actual chit dropping locations for ordered fire because otherwise he has no idea how to decide where they are going to hit without bias.

I'd much rather have the field guns hit on turn 1, can you move one of the shots on the cavalry down to the field guns? If we take out the brigade commander the cavalry will literally be unable to move, and we can take them out later, whereas the South has an unknown number of chits coming.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 28, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'll move a gun up to counter battery, and put shot locations in for the southern area - Trin does artillery scatter from initial aiming point, or does it work on a hit/miss basis? This is just for making my orders clearer, not trying to gain any weird advantage!

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

You probably won't get an answer for a while, but everyone is operating either under the assumption or Trin has stated somewhere that you specify the 50px square as mentioned below and then it is a dice roll on all things under it. Hence you can rotate or do whatever you want to the 50px squares. You are essentially putting chits on top of other chits and get a dice roll on everything underneath it. So just like setting up brigades to have tiny gaps for your dudes to shoot through, you can do things like barely scrape a chit and get the full effect on multiple enemies. Again, I don't know where this was stated but everyone is operating under "there is no scatter, just hit/miss die rolls" and we won't have time for another meeting before the deadline regarding what to do since I'm heading off in a few hours.

quote:

Your artillery may still use direct fire according to the rules, and is still subject to the rules about limbering and unlimbering. However, it may also use indirect fire when directed to do so. Indirect fire range is currently 40". All guns in a brigade must fire at once, and target an area equivalent to the number of chits in the brigade. (So, a brigade with one gun targets a 50px single-chit sized square; a brigade with four guns can arrange four 50px target squares however it likes; a brigade with eight guns can arrange eight squares, and so on.)

I can't find any mention of any scatter at all. Run under the assumption that your hits will land directly where you send them, and then you run die rolls on everything under the hit location. And, you definitely have to specify the hit location precisely.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

lenoon posted:

I'll move a gun up to counter battery

Phrases like this are terrifying me. It'll take two turns to move a gun, then a third turn to get it ready to fire, then fire on the fourth turn. I need you starting to move back on turn 5 (for your own safety), so if you moved a gun forward on turn 1 and back on turn 5 then we arenot sending what is essentially half-an-artillery-brigade's worth of firepower down range. Not only that, but guns are all either moving or firing as a group. If one gun is moving, the others aren't firing.

I think there is some level of miscommunication, and I'm sorry for that. It's probably mostly my timezone and changing orders on you. I'd love to go through the planning phase with you, but since this is likely the most critical point in the battle and we are running out of time, we do not really have that luxury. It's very important due to the movements of everyone else that you try follow these upcoming illustrations as closely as possible. Please use these in conjuction with my orders post. The capital A chits are locations to drop the shells.

Turn 1:

Turns 2 and 3:

Turn 4:

I will explain the reasoning of anything here that you like if anything is unclear of it's purpose, as long as I am still awake.

PS: The way I am running this is just yelling in roll20 whenever I'm free at whoever is there for advice / coordinating strategy with the other division commander / relying on staff officers for the crunch. I've been trying to give brigade level commanders as much freedom as possible in interpreting their orders and acting to their best judgement, but in this situation we are running with a very complex machine with a lot of moving parts. Since you are the last to put orders in (my fault) and we don't have much time left, I can't give you as much of this as I would usually like. If something goes off plan, make no mistake, this is going to be a total wipe for us.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 28, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

lenoon posted:

I'll move a gun up to counter battery

OPERATION MAXIMAL ELAN LIVES AGAIN

Perhaps Mon Pere's response to my attempt at implementing this could come in handy:

my dad posted:

You are explicitly forbidden from moving into range of known enemy artillery positions.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

No, no, I meant reassign the targeting not physically move the guns. I know you're all probably either sighing or freaking out in the roll20, but some insane work commitments are keeping me from hanging out there in mutually agreeable time zones.

You guys are too worried about this: look at my lines, they terminate where a 50px square should be. ARF you keep giving me orders that I've agreed to and ordered on down - the only changes I still have to make is assigning a few guns to hit where the enemy guns were, and to change the zone to individual shots- both of which I've agreed to do. Everything else is done in my original orders post, which I've been editing throughout this whole discussion.

As far as "do not move the guns" goes, the more I think about it the more I realise that we were almost certainly spotted last turn, and that the intelligent German move would be a t32 relocation and then counterbattery for the rest of the evening. I'm not going to issue orders that would prevent our artillery from being totally destroyed if this comes to pass, because I have orders to the contrary - but still. I think that's how it's all about to go down.

Edit:

In the literal seconds I have left to think about this before the end of day, my revised plan based on ARF and my own ideas is as follows:

Artillery Orders t31-evening

t31

Northern guns:
Hit the brigadier and his motley crew
Blind fire on la ferme

Southern guns: hit the batteries and main mass of the Germans to the south.

t32-34

All guns to hit the southern batteries, MGs and wire.

t35-onwards

Limber up, redeploy to the immediate west of the saucisson wire. Support troops to the east with targeted fire.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 28, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

You are right, I am freaking out because I have been spending a lot of time on this thing, and went from being a no-one to basically running the entire war in one day. I must have missed the bit where you said you would be changing the zone as well, sorry about that.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It's alright man, I'm on it. I'm just trying to squeeze this in to some extremely hectic times.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What's that you've got there about underpants around the University?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2dhD9zR6hk

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Okay now I'm really curious to know what it says because I looked and either that's a weird font or it doesn't actually say underpants, and I have no idea whatsoever could fit into that.

Also hi, I'm alive but my character isn't. Give me a brigade and it will be commanded by a lunatic.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Now I'm racing back on the bus to make those orders in nice clear photoshop. I think it's "participants at university", but it could well be underpants. Not too sure.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Do we have all the orders in?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

If my sketches count then I think we're all good to go. I think the plan as ordered is presuming that the Germans are all stationary, so we'll see how it goes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bacarruda posted:

What will the two RHA batteries and the MG team doing if they can;t get LOS on targets during the charge?

According to the rules, the MG will follow and stop and shoot at whatever it can target. The artillery, well, honestly, I have no idea. They can't shoot from the woods unless they're at the very edge. "Go as far as you can while still being able to shoot" seems to be how stuff like this is generally resolved, but I guess we'll see.

Trin Tragula posted:

What's that you've got there about underpants around the University?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2dhD9zR6hk

:munch:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

exception: lenoon has however long it takes me to capture everyone else's orders, and I won't be hurrying, to draw some pretty pictures/explain the roving gangs of underpants

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm about ten minutes from home - I left work early to get this done!

Trin - putting them in here!

right...

General conditionals:
Break off if enemy gets within 8
Do NOT change this fire pattern no matter requests from God himself, let along a brigadier. RSM requests are of course to be agreed to quickly.

Turn 32:

Battery to split fire onto Brigadier, Counter Battery and Southern Germans.

Turns 33+34:

Battery to paste targets given above, individual guns have their targets.

Turn 35+:

Limber up, move west, redeploy on red line. Support immediate eastern brigades with any remaining indirect fire missions, or direct fire as relevant.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 28, 2017

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

xthetenth posted:

Also hi, I'm alive but my character isn't. Give me a brigade and it will be commanded by a lunatic.

Same. :hfive:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We seriously need to work out some organizational/structural issues. I don't think lenoon losing his job IRL is an acceptable solution to our artillery problems. :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

my dad posted:

We seriously need to work out some organizational/structural issues. I don't think lenoon losing his job IRL is an acceptable solution to our artillery problems. :v:

We should post in the recruiting thread and see if we can get more staffers :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think we need to start setting timetables for the chain of command.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hunt11 posted:

I think we need to start setting timetables for the chain of command.

Commanders intent: 6 hours
Division command: 12 hours
Brigade command: 18 hours
Final assessment: 24 hours?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think most of that was on me, ARF was very helpful.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Remember, there are two things that entertain the spectators:

1) :siren::derp: MASS PANIC :derp::siren:
2) :supaburn: SURPRISE AND TERROR :supaburn:

We're not doing our job as Goon LP victims participants if there isn't at least a little of both per round! :mil101:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Remember, there are two things that entertain the spectators:

We're not doing our job as Goon LP victims participants if there isn't at least a little of both per round! :mil101:

What about suicidal overconfidence?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also predictions about what the other side is definitely doing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PittTheElder posted:

Shoo, back to your own thread, mr observer.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I need to get the orders out faster without making massive changes, so that as I am about to go to sleep I don't misread something as "I'm gonna move all the guns back and forth the whole turn" and almost die.

quote:

Commanders intent: 6 hours
Division command: 12 hours
Brigade command: 18 hours
Final assessment: 24 hours

Something like this would be ideal but it entirely depends on when the brigadiers have time free. We just need the division command orders out quicker so the brigadiers can post their orders in response at their own pace but still give us time to have a look at them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

AbortRetryFail posted:

Something like this would be ideal but it entirely depends on when the brigadiers have time free. We just need the division command orders out quicker so the brigadiers can post their orders in response at their own pace but still give us time to have a look at them.

This is what burned me out hard last round - being the bottleneck for the entire command chain.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

PittTheElder posted:

quote:

:D

my dad posted:

This is what burned me out hard last round - being the bottleneck for the entire command chain.

For me, I figure get the goal out in broad strokes quickly, let the division commanders add more detail, and so on until Brigade commanders are determining individual companies.

Corps Commanders dont need to manage every tile, thats what subordinates are for :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 28, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

nah, crazycryodude's an observer this time around.

vvvv They've got a corps of paratroopers running around from the start of last update

Istvun fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I predict the enemy is going to cause us much MASS PANIC and SURPRISE AND TERROR this round. :ohdear:

• Locked thread