Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

got any sevens posted:

Washington state is already a model for ignoring schools, despite supposedly being blue. They'll have no trouble in Kansas.

They're... Literally having trouble right now. There is a looming constitutional crisis predicated on the differing perspectives of two of the branches of the government. This isn't a thing that just quietly fades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ol Standard Retard posted:

They're... Literally having trouble right now. There is a looming constitutional crisis predicated on the differing perspectives of two of the branches of the government. This isn't a thing that just quietly fades.

The Republican party as a whole has just been careening fast first into a constitutional crisis for decades at this point. Their platform is "we do what we want, we get all the money, gently caress everybody else." The shenanigans they're getting up to in the states they run are just going to keep throwing gas on the fire of "everybody else" being pretty unhappy with them.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Republican party as a whole has just been careening fast first into a constitutional crisis for decades at this point. Their platform is "we do what we want, we get all the money, gently caress everybody else." The shenanigans they're getting up to in the states they run are just going to keep throwing gas on the fire of "everybody else" being pretty unhappy with them.

I just wonder what it will take for people in these states to vote out these people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mooseontheloose posted:

I just wonder what it will take for people in these states to vote out these people.

They likely won't, sadly. The people who would vote them out have probably already left or will leave. It's a common problem in those deep red states; the further to the left you are the more likely you are to move out. As the state continues to burn down the bug gently caress crazies are happy that everybody else is GETTIN' OFFA MAH LAND and those people are leaving. The damage being done is going to take decades to clean up, leaving the state in the shitter for a long drat time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mooseontheloose posted:

Accepting data-driven policymaking on things as simple to assess and understand as the need for seatbelts and traffic laws is too high a hurdle for most of my republican as gently caress but too proud to admit it libertarian acquaintances to clear. There's nothing that will get the deep red to change.

My brother lives in KS and is basically preparing to leave. One of his greatest frustrations is a surge in young people calling themselves libertarian to distance themselves from the past, continuing and compounding failures of the GOP from the Bush admin on down to local KS governments. Politically, apparently, 90% of 'em can't actually vocalize significant differences between their political ideas and the GOP platform at any level, but it does allow them to handwave away lessons from the past and present that that should be learning with a, "that's not us."

tl;dr even the next generation of conservatives is hosed.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 6, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KCStar/status/839605566083334147

So is this a time to rejoice or just more reason to hate yourselves?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/KCStar/status/839605566083334147

So is this a time to rejoice or just more reason to hate yourselves?

I'm glad to see things turned out so well for him after destroying my state's economy. I guess all of those old ladies praying for him really did turn some things around for him after all!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

So is this just a gentle way of removing him from office without tons of drama?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
There is no justice

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
How do you say "rear end-hat" in Italian?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's not like he wasn't going to get hired by some stupid lobbying firm for a big salary if he ever got voted out anyway. You can only fall up once you are "made" in politics.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So who takes over as Governor? Kobach? Because that might objectively be worse

Edit: look like it will be Colyer. Well he can't be any worse

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 9, 2017

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would Brownback have been facing a term limit in the next election? If so, then this means that the Republicans get the name-recognition of an incumbent the next go around where they were going to have to run a new face before. Sneaky.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Would Brownback have been facing a term limit in the next election? If so, then this means that the Republicans get the name-recognition of an incumbent the next go around where they were going to have to run a new face before. Sneaky.

Current Kansas law is the the governor may only have 2 terms of four years each, so yeah he couldn't run again.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So apparently Kansas is on fire right now going from a NPR piece about cattle farmers and wild fires.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

So apparently Kansas is on fire right now going from a NPR piece about cattle farmers and wild fires.

The good thing is that since global warming is a myth, you can write these fires off as just another example of the weather in the Great Plains.

On another note, I can't say for certain but I think two terms of Sam Brownback have not in the slightest diminished the Kansas voter's desire for a more and deeper cuts - Brownback's time in office is proof that the rot runs deeper still - and I can almost hear the sage words of a man on TV telling the world that the problem is high taxes, profligate government, over-regulation, and a system that punishes success.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
It sure is weird how Kansas both want government assistance but NO HANDOUTS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. It's like watching an accident happening in slow motion. I'm seriously having a difficult time feeling sorry for people who are hell bent on their own destruction. Like what the gently caress do you expect?

A lifetime of talking points is a hell of a thing to witness.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They want government assistance (money going only to them, personally) and not handouts (money going to other people who aren't them).

Those other people are lazy and it's their own fault. My circumstances are special and I'm in a temporary tough spot through no fault of my own.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm assuming this is gonna be vetoed in a millisecond

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/846750400518742016

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MaxxBot posted:

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/846750400518742016

Well he's already tweeted that he's disappointed the Kansas Senate voted to fund Planned Parenthood with taxpayer money, and he's already got his sweet gig telling starving foreigners to bootstrap harder, so all signs point to yes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Not quite enough there to override a veto, so good job on your useless gesture!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

They want government assistance (money going only to them, personally) and not handouts (money going to other people who aren't them).

Those other people are lazy and it's their own fault. My circumstances are special and I'm in a temporary tough spot through no fault of my own.

Handouts and government assistance programs just encourage the lazy to keep making the same mistakes in life. Why bother making changes to be less lazy if the libs are just gonna bail them out? *charges new Ford F 1-50 to Discover card*

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

MaxxBot posted:

Assumption confirmed.

What a spiteful, piece of poo poo garbage entity Sam Brownback is, holy poo poo.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Assumption confirmed.

What a spiteful, piece of poo poo garbage entity Sam Brownback is, holy poo poo.

He had to make sure to take one last poo poo on the state on his way out.

Though I am not familiar with Kansas law, is the legislature able to override his veto? Or will they not even bother.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zil posted:

He had to make sure to take one last poo poo on the state on his way out.

Though I am not familiar with Kansas law, is the legislature able to override his veto? Or will they not even bother.

The state house is debating an override right now. Whether or not they can muster the votes needed is up in the air.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

the senate only needs 27 votes to override they had 25 so it's a possibility.

edit-also even though something like this is a long shot it's way better than our previous legislators who just let brownback do whatever he wanted.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Beo posted:

the senate only needs 27 votes to override they had 25 so it's a possibility.

edit-also even though something like this is a long shot it's way better than our previous legislators who just let brownback do whatever he wanted.

Yeah don't get me wrong it's encouraging that it's gone this far, it's just that recent events have made me even less optimistic than my usual low baseline.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Assumption confirmed.

Standard Republican at this point. PA's last governor did basically the same thing; said "nah, gently caress that" to the expansion of Medicaid. Literally free money for the good of the state but nope! Gots to keep that elephant cred going on!

Then he got voted out. One of very few (first in like 200 years) governors to lose reelection. Now we have a Democrat that was like "gently caress yeah gimme that sweet, sweet medicine!" Of course the Republicans in our state government are actively sabotaging everything they possibly can while blaming him for everything that goes wrong.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
maybe some good news? anyone know anything about this guy

https://twitter.com/pblest/status/851274365643640833

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My wife has friends and family still trapped in Kansas. I gave the guy $100 and hope he can at least make a good showing to convince people not to (continue to) give up on Kansas.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just read an article about how Republicans are panicking on this guy/election and have flown in some big wigs to make endorsements and last minute attack ads. DNC has spent $0 on it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Standard Republican at this point. PA's last governor did basically the same thing; said "nah, gently caress that" to the expansion of Medicaid. Literally free money for the good of the state but nope! Gots to keep that elephant cred going on!

Then he got voted out. One of very few (first in like 200 years) governors to lose reelection. Now we have a Democrat that was like "gently caress yeah gimme that sweet, sweet medicine!" Of course the Republicans in our state government are actively sabotaging everything they possibly can while blaming him for everything that goes wrong.

I really don't understand that mentality though.

:cool: Here I'm going to give you free money to ensure that your citizens are healthy!
:newt: No

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Scaramouche posted:

Just read an article about how Republicans are panicking on this guy/election and have flown in some big wigs to make endorsements and last minute attack ads. DNC has spent $0 on it.

The DNC is worthless. Any retaking of seats at states is going to depend entirely on the local/state apparatus and outside funding while the DNC looks at ultra safe blue states victory lap in.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Their excuse was that if they got involved then it would attract the attention of the national Republican political establishment, of course the state party didn't do poo poo until yesterday either because the KDP is useless

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

rscott posted:

Their excuse was that if they got involved then it would attract the attention of the national Republican political establishment, of course the state party didn't do poo poo until yesterday either because the KDP is useless

It's very cool how a lot of Dems somehow agree with this, but don't mind big names clogging up poll centers with security details in other races that are about as tight all of last year. They really should have just swallowed that they hosed up and sent $10k.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

rscott posted:

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Oh no the republicans might actually have to play defense! The horror!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

:cool: Here I'm going to give you free money to ensure that your citizens are healthy!

The guiding principle of the GOP is that government is worthless. Any beneficial public services damage their ideological line.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Iron Crowned posted:

Outwardly, it's a "principled stand." Though that money has already been taxed from The People, it shouldn't have been, and it represents further government intrusion in our blessed free market perfect health care system.

Inwardly, they know it would be one of those things like Social Security where once enough voters benefit from it, they can no longer grab it and drown it in a bathtub even though it's ~big government~. And, being still considered part of the dread Obama Legacy, they cannot allow that chance to slip away. They may even end up doing something similar (but of course worse) later, but they absolutely will not stand for Obama getting credit for anything good.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

nachos posted:

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Oh no the republicans might actually have to play defense! The horror!

The impression I got was that this guy has a real chance and if he gets in, hey free seat. If not, and it's close enough to scare people, hey momentum. If it's a blowout then hey we didn't spend anything anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/04/11/don-t-read-much-into-kansas-special-election-results.html

The problem with Kansas is that the liberal courts forced them to spend money on schools. Also Kansas wasn't conservative *enough*. Conservatism can never fail, it can only be failed.

• Locked thread