Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Death Zebra posted:

I like Finland. Similarly, the one thing I like about Russia, other than the fact that I don't live there, is their distrust of smiling strangers (from what I've heard). It's a shame the UK is not like this as the job markets demand for friendliness and what they consider "people skills" is doing no favours for my employment prospects.
Smiling without a clear and obvious reason is like laughing at nothing in other countries: you're a mental case in everyone's eyes. (But they won't be saying anything because Finland.) This is useful because if anyone approaches you while smiling you know they are either crazy, trying to pull of a scam or just noticed something really funny and really want to tell you about it (probability of the latter alternative is measured in of parts per million).

My pet peeve is the job interview question "describe your three worst qualities". This is from the employer's side (I'm not a boss, but participate in team interviews) and it's always a loving shitshow. For some junior guys it can be just a rehash of the skills they are still lacking in but for people with 10 or 20 years of experience it's just an embarrassment. Honest people will just have to frame some of their positive qualities in negative light or bring up some their minor negative qualities in positive or self-deprecating light, but we have hired people who never intended to do any actual work, just fake it until someone caught on and they got fired a couple of months along the line and guess what! None of those people included this fact in their answers to this question!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when I buy cereal that I normally like like Coco Rocks, and I get a bad batch so from the word go something tastes off. It's money wasted and it ruins that days breakfast. Like, in the last box I bought the rocky ones overpowered the soft ones badly, only one soft one in the first bowl, and the ones that were supposed to be crunchy tasted like they'd already gone soft. It's so annoying.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

cyberbug posted:

Smiling without a clear and obvious reason is like laughing at nothing in other countries: you're a mental case in everyone's eyes. (But they won't be saying anything because Finland.) This is useful because if anyone approaches you while smiling you know they are either crazy, trying to pull of a scam or just noticed something really funny and really want to tell you about it (probability of the latter alternative is measured in of parts per million).

My pet peeve is the job interview question "describe your three worst qualities". This is from the employer's side (I'm not a boss, but participate in team interviews) and it's always a loving shitshow. For some junior guys it can be just a rehash of the skills they are still lacking in but for people with 10 or 20 years of experience it's just an embarrassment. Honest people will just have to frame some of their positive qualities in negative light or bring up some their minor negative qualities in positive or self-deprecating light, but we have hired people who never intended to do any actual work, just fake it until someone caught on and they got fired a couple of months along the line and guess what! None of those people included this fact in their answers to this question!

Yeah, a large part of a job interview is testing if you can lie or deflect convincingly. It's called people skills. Truth-speaking is for mystics and lunatics.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

cyberia posted:

I have a pair of Sony earbuds that are the old, round style. I bought them at a music store for :10bux: a year or two ago and use them every day at work. I've previously had fancy and expensive brands like Klipsch but they eventually fall apart while the cheap Sonys seem like they're basically indestructible.

fake edit - These are the earbuds I have

Those are the same ones I bought at the airport.

Peeve, and I mentioned this in another thread: Ventriloquists. When one ends up on a show, ugh, ruins the entire thing. They are obnoxious and creepy, but more obnoxious. How Jeff Dunham has so many fans, is a true mystery. I have a FB I thought was cool until he got all excited about going to a Dunham show. I was just like, "WHY?!" Say what you will about the British panel show QI (and I know there are quite a few here that don't like it) but there was one episode in the I series that had this ventriloquist who had an old lady puppet. Not even the audience could fake laugh and the panel had a difficult time engaging with it. That's what made me think of this.

I did think this movie with Anthony Hopkins was pretty good, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzrduy5h3G0

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
People who suck at rating things, for instance The guns of august got a one star from a very bright person because it's "too detailed for me" :bang:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

doverhog posted:

Customer service people are "friendly" or at least polite here too, but they would never call you sweety, darling or honey bunny, etc.

I have waiters call me "boss" once in a while. Every time it happens, I'm tempted to tell them, "If I'm the boss, then you're fired."

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I am sorry for starting a derail re: calling people pet names. For what it's worth, when I was a server, I would automatically call dudes 'sir' if I thought they thought they were better than me. Which obviously was like 90% of the time. They would tip me on average 5% better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

bean_shadow posted:

Those are the same ones I bought at the airport.

Peeve, and I mentioned this in another thread: Ventriloquists. When one ends up on a show, ugh, ruins the entire thing. They are obnoxious and creepy, but more obnoxious. How Jeff Dunham has so many fans, is a true mystery. I have a FB I thought was cool until he got all excited about going to a Dunham show. I was just like, "WHY?!" Say what you will about the British panel show QI (and I know there are quite a few here that don't like it) but there was one episode in the I series that had this ventriloquist who had an old lady puppet. Not even the audience could fake laugh and the panel had a difficult time engaging with it. That's what made me think of this.

I did think this movie with Anthony Hopkins was pretty good, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzrduy5h3G0

I saw one on a variety show for the royal family a few years ago who had an amusing thing where he fell out with his dummy and left it behind as he stalked off the stage. The dummy then opened his eyes and asked the audience "Is it safe?" and continued the act solo. That was a pretty good use of the art, I thought.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I think I'm probably in the minority of weirdos who refer to their servers as "sir/ma'am" instead. Really anyone who is working in a service position gets my respect, so I address them to reflect that.

One that gets me though is older mechanics and repairmen often refer to me as "buddy." I'm a 5' 6" 120 lbs dude, so I'm pretty small, but that just seems insulting. It seems like it's one step away from calling me "kiddo."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tarantula posted:

People who suck at rating things, for instance The guns of august got a one star from a very bright person because it's "too detailed for me" :bang:
Ratings are personal opinions though. How is that being bad at rating?

If you were talking about the people who obviously don't understand how the rating system works (5 stars. I hated it.) or people who will absolutely never give top marks to anything (Absolutely perfect. 8/10.) I'd understand, but "I didn't like it because it was too detailed for me. 1 star." seems reasonable.

BioEnchanted posted:

I saw one on a variety show for the royal family a few years ago who had an amusing thing where he fell out with his dummy and left it behind as he stalked off the stage. The dummy then opened his eyes and asked the audience "Is it safe?" and continued the act solo. That was a pretty good use of the art, I thought.
David Strassman?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Every bad rating in an aggregate system reflects poorly on the product, no matter the accompanying reason. It's perfectly reasonable to be annoyed when the rating of something you like is dragged down by an idiot's own personal failings, or any number of illogical reasons.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

doverhog posted:

Yeah, a large part of a job interview is testing if you can lie or deflect convincingly. It's called people skills. Truth-speaking is for mystics and lunatics.
You'd think in most occupations that an inclination towards honesty would be more valuable than adeptness with self-serving lies.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Honesty comes in many forms. They want someone who will honestly try to do the job, not someone who will honestly tell their boss they are full of poo poo even if they are.

*Tell me about Roman robots?

doverhog has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Mar 25, 2017

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Tiggum posted:

Ratings are personal opinions though. How is that being bad at rating?

If you were talking about the people who obviously don't understand how the rating system works (5 stars. I hated it.) or people who will absolutely never give top marks to anything (Absolutely perfect. 8/10.) I'd understand, but "I didn't like it because it was too detailed for me. 1 star." seems reasonable.

David Strassman?

To me it's like buying a Ferrari and complaining it's "too powerful" or buying a physics book and being upset it's "too complex".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Every bad rating in an aggregate system reflects poorly on the product, no matter the accompanying reason. It's perfectly reasonable to be annoyed when the rating of something you like is dragged down by an idiot's own personal failings, or any number of illogical reasons.
No it isn't. That's the whole point of aggregate ratings.

Tarantula posted:

To me it's like buying a Ferrari and complaining it's "too powerful" or buying a physics book and being upset it's "too complex".
So, perfectly reasonable?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's like fighting Yoel Romero and then complaining later that it was too hard. You knew it was gonna be hard, just not that hard.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

So, perfectly reasonable?

It's reasonable to consider a Ferrari too powerful or a physics textbook too complex as a reason to not want one, but if you don't want one, you shouldn't buy it and then complain. It's on you if you don't do even the most basic of investigation to see if something you're spending money on is something you actually want, and your failure to do that is absolutely not a flaw of the product.

Goddamnit, I'm arguing with Tiggum.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If I buy a Ferrari and the power to weight ratio is ridiculous but the suspension, braking, traction etc are totally inadequate I might complain. "Too powerful" might not really cover it though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

Say what you will about the British panel show QI (and I know there are quite a few here that don't like it) but there was one episode in the I series that had this ventriloquist who had an old lady puppet. Not even the audience could fake laugh and the panel had a difficult time engaging with it. That's what made me think of this.
She played a fairly big part in an episode of Black Books, and I didn't know she was a ventriloquist until the QI episode came out years later. I can't watch that Black Books episode anymore without thinking "what if they'd written the puppet in as well?"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who talk too loving loud about gross things, instead of MOVING the gently caress closer to discuss poo poo like loving euthanizing mice. In public. At a fish convention.

There is a public speaker on the other side of this thin wall, and all I can hear are three women alternating between screaming about breeding dubia roaches, parrot poo poo, and killing mice, and laughing stupidly loud over feeding roaches, parrots shutting on your shirt, and reptiles chewing live mice.

They are sitting across the room from each other and none of them will move a foot closer to limit the noise. The three year old is quieter!

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who talk too loving loud about gross things, instead of MOVING the gently caress closer to discuss poo poo like loving euthanizing mice. In public. At a fish convention.

There is a public speaker on the other side of this thin wall, and all I can hear are three women alternating between screaming about breeding dubia roaches, parrot poo poo, and killing mice, and laughing stupidly loud over feeding roaches, parrots shutting on your shirt, and reptiles chewing live mice.

They are sitting across the room from each other and none of them will move a foot closer to limit the noise. The three year old is quieter!

Dubia roaches are my pet peeve. They're so easy to keep, your herp will love them, they say.

Flash forward to me, horde of disgusting roaches living in my bedroom and somehow escaping to colonize my house no matter how I seal their tank, Meanwhile my stupid rear end lizards don't even eat them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

vintagepurple posted:

Dubia roaches are my pet peeve. They're so easy to keep, your herp will love them, they say.

Flash forward to me, horde of disgusting roaches living in my bedroom and somehow escaping to colonize my house no matter how I seal their tank, Meanwhile my stupid rear end lizards don't even eat them.

Have you considered collecting bedbugs

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I lost my phone yesterday (a FWP in and of itself), and having got a new one, I have to play the "make it exactly like my old phone" game with no preparation. Like, what apps do I need? What podcasts do I want?

To add FWP to FWP, there was a system update that I hadn't gotten on my old phone, so everything looks different.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

My Lovely Horse posted:

She played a fairly big part in an episode of Black Books, and I didn't know she was a ventriloquist until the QI episode came out years later. I can't watch that Black Books episode anymore without thinking "what if they'd written the puppet in as well?"

To me all ventriloquist acts are cringe-worthy. Like I feel embarrassed for them while watching. According to Candice Bergen, her father had a larger room, wardrobe, and allowance for Charlie McCarthy than for his own daughter. And I believe it. Those guys are weird.

Now I'm glad McCarthy is stuck in a clear box at the Smithsonian forever.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

vintagepurple posted:

How on Earth did they escape? They can't climb for poo poo.

loving crickets on the other hand drove me crazy when they would escape, get under the floorboards and proceed to chirp all through the bloody night. I hate them.

Phrakusca has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Mar 26, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bean_shadow posted:

According to Candice Bergen, her father had a larger room, wardrobe, and allowance for Charlie McCarthy than for his own daughter. And I believe it. Those guys are weird.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea that guy was Candice Bergen's dad. Mind slightly blown.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

genetic_knockout posted:

I don't mind being called those things at all, really (except obviously in situations where it's done really condescendingly, like Mr. rear end-Eater pointed out). It's just I normally expect it to come from like...an older, kindly Mom-type person. Not someone who looks like they just graduated high school. Anyways, way better than being called ma'm or lady or that poo poo.

I have a co-worker who says "honey" and "darling" She's younger than me but it's her habit. I don't mind, she doesn't say it that often to customers and when she does, I remind her.

Hell, I call people "tiger"or "shooter" all the time. Who am I to judge? It's only words. The only thing I hate is being called "Sir".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Hell, I call people "tiger" all the time.

Are you Spider-Man's wife?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Job ads are the worst. If you're looking for someone to answer the phones, say that. Don't say you're looking for a "rock star" who's "passionate" about whatever the gently caress it is your company sells. And don't ask applicants to tell you what they want to be paid like as though it's some kind of negotiation. You know how much you're going to pay, so just say it. And why did I have to click through three different screens to get to the actual job description and then two more to get to the page where I can actually upload my résumé? You need someone to answer phones. I need someone to pay me money. It should not be this complicated or involve so much bullshit to work this out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I always assumed the "how much do you want to be paid" question is less about negotiation and more just to gauge both your knowledge of the field and the going rate for someone with your abilities (just to weed out the people who applied just because it was there) and to see if you have an inflated sense of your abilities. I wouldn't hire someone who said they wanted 50k a year with full benefits and 6 weeks paid vacation per year for a callcenter or minimum wage job even if they accepted the lower wage after I told them what it was. On the opposite end where you are highly skilled, they might be hoping you will give a lower number than they were prepared to give and save some money.

For very basic entry level jobs I don't know why there are interviews at all though with questions like that beyond just describing the duties and making sure they are capable of doing them. My first job was doing the sky ride at busch gardens and the entire interview was "ok, you'll be standing in one place up to 60 hours a week in the florida summer sun stopping/loading/unloading heavy carts. You should also know most people quit this job within a couple weeks. You still want it?" and I said yeah and I was hired. I would have thought entry level callcenter job "interviews" would have the same kind of thing - describing that almost everyone who works there hates it and the people calling in will be 90+% assholes and then take everybody they can get.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
nope, call centers in my experience pretend to be real employers and act like they expect a dedicated rock star personality

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
People who hit 'reply all' and create an enormous chain of emails in my work in-box. Fortunately, I use a version of Outlook that stacks together conversations on the same email chain instead of each answer appearing as an individual email, otherwise this latest one would be generating 20-30 emails a day alone.

It's a phishing email from an 'academic journal' in India, trying to get people to submit articles and papers for publication. Before I took about 15 minutes or so at the weekend blocking the key email addresses, I was getting constant emails from people asking to be removed from that mailing list, or people yelling at everyone not to hit 'reply all' or people trying to explain the the entire thing was a phishing scam and just to delete the emails and stop replying to everyone.

I checked my junkmail this morning, and there are about 50 of these emails, just since Sunday evening.

It's bad enough that people at my university can't distinguish between Reply and Reply All; now I'm getting phishing emails with people hitting 'Reply All' and trying to argue with a bot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

How can people working at a university not know how to spot phishing things or phony journals like that? I get them at least once a week, I don't even have to click on them to know it's bullshit.

I do share your hatred of the reply all (unless it is actually important the whole group sees it), especially when you reply to one person specifically directed to one of their questions that you don't really want the rest of the group to see and when they reply they add everyone back in. I'm not trash talking people or anything that bad but still, I did not reply only to you, address it to only you, and address things only you said by mistake.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

How can people working at a university not know how to spot phishing things or phony journals like that? I get them at least once a week, I don't even have to click on them to know it's bullshit.

It's not people from my uni answering -- it's people from universities (judging from the email addresses) from all over the world. gently caress knows. But, that said, people at my own university also do the 'reply all' thing to massive emails, which is annoying because they invariably have nothing to offer to the conversation.

And, yep, to reply-all and including people -- including students -- whom you'd rather didn't see the entire chain of emails. I had to beat that out of a colleague who did trash talk students in emails, thinking they wouldn't see his responses in reply-alls. Magical!

As for falling for phishing -- it happens all the frigging time, if the intranet news is anything to go by. We get some damned good spoofs of our various email pages, but hovering the mouse over my.universitys.address at ac uk reveals all sorts of gibberish and nonsnes that gives away the game. Yet more than once a semester you find out that someone has given away all of their log in details to a phisher and passwords and all sorts of poo poo need to be reset.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
How about the extremely rare inverse, where someone should have replied all but doesn't? I saw my first one the other day. I emailed off a question to some lady and cc'd the bosses. She emailed back just to me with the reply, but then got like 10 more emails from the bosses asking for her answer, which she then replied to (presumably) individually. Coulda just sent us all the same answer the first time!

Also--today is the second day in a row that I've had people no-show on meetings with me. So loving annoying! Now I'm not sure whether you're going to show up half an hour late, if I should just start doing something else, if you're lost in the building, or whatever. I super don't care if you need to cancel or reschedule. But let me loving know!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That one has gotten some people annoyed with me at work lately. If you schedule a meeting with me and aren't there within 5-10 minutes of the time, I'm loving off and doing something else and will not meet with you when you arrive 20 minutes later. I'm not going to hang around waiting for you and suspend all my work. You set the drat time, be there when you say you will or the meetings cancelled, I'm busy now.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That one has gotten some people annoyed with me at work lately. If you schedule a meeting with me and aren't there within 5-10 minutes of the time, I'm loving off and doing something else and will not meet with you when you arrive 20 minutes later. I'm not going to hang around waiting for you and suspend all my work. You set the drat time, be there when you say you will or the meetings cancelled, I'm busy now.

When I was still in construction management, I had an engineer ask me to come in on a Saturday morning to help him with something for a project we were bidding on.

I got there at 9, stuck around for 30 minutes, during which I called his cell a few times with no answer, and left.

On Monday, he tried to get me in trouble with the district manager for bailing. Thankfully nothing came of it because another engineer vouched for me being there and the idiot engineer not showing up until noon.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Bobby Digital posted:

When I was still in construction management, I had an engineer ask me to come in on a Saturday morning to help him with something for a project we were bidding on.

I got there at 9, stuck around for 30 minutes, during which I called his cell a few times with no answer, and left.

On Monday, he tried to get me in trouble with the district manager for bailing. Thankfully nothing came of it because another engineer vouched for me being there and the idiot engineer not showing up until noon.

This is one of the reasons I was so upset about my no-shows, that lingering anxiety that for some reason you are the one who is going to get in trouble, even when you were the only one who showed up/who gives a poo poo. I'm sure the two ladies who bailed on me yesterday are bitching to their bosses right now about how stupid and useless I am (even though I sent them 3 reminder emails, a reminder through the EMR messaging system, and two follow-up emails outlining what my next steps with them are after they bailed). Jesus.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

genetic_knockout posted:

How about the extremely rare inverse, where someone should have replied all but doesn't?
Sharing a flat with one other person. I email the real estate agents about some issue, cc the other tenant. Reply comes just to me and I have to forward it on to the other tenant. Every loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is there a way to document that you were there at the designated time? I would think an email saying "Hey I'm here, where the gently caress are you?" should be a good enough paper trail that management wouldn't really want to pursue any kind of actual discipline.

Seems a little ridiculous that in the type of professional environment that requires scheduled meetings people are tattling on each other and "getting in trouble". Absolutely peeve worthy.