Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wouldn't count on anyone picking up a 14 year old anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

i wouldn't count on anyone picking up a 14 year old
:aatrek:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gently caress you

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Why

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

gas

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

GiantDutchman posted:

The modern anime "boob physics" annoys my wife more than me, though she also enjoyed Sins despite that. I've thought about watching Yona, I'll have to check it out, Twelve Kingdoms is $22 on Amazon so I'll wait till some other service picks it up.

Yona doesn't have any gratuitous boobs to apply dumb boob physics to. There's actually not a lot of female characters period and Yona's design is fairly conservative (Except the eyes. Jun Maeda wants his eyes back). My main issue with it so far is that it has a lot of unnecessary comedy inserts. It's not nearly as bad here as it was in Drifters, which I refuse to watch because that aspect annoys me so much, but it's still a little annoying.

As for 12 Kingdoms, it's worth it at any price. It's a top tier show.

e: Good god, the new OP for the second cour of Yona is utter garbage. Who thought butt rock was a quality follow up to that beautiful first OP song?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 26, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I watched Yona recently since it has a lot of recommendations here and my main issue with it is similar to Arslan, where there's so many incredibly rediculously competent characters surrounding the main that it dilutes their own personal transformation from sheltered child into capable adult. Even when Yona does something laudable it doesn't stand out as being noteworthy on anything other than a personal level.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Are you really comparing the developments and successes of a weak sheltered princess to what the literal superhuman mystical beings around her can do

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think he's criticizing the decision to surround the weak sheltered princess with literal superhuman mystical beings.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That makes her strides just seem even greater though, since her reference points are so high up. It might be a cheap trick, but it works very well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I watched through Yona a little while ago and it was ho-hum. I honestly think she didn't have that much growth and making superhuman mystical beings her entourage did diminish what little growth she had, in my opinion. There isn't any real pay off, to be honest. You catch glimpses and when you think things will start getting interesting the show ends.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's when you read the manga

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Droyer posted:

I think he's criticizing the decision to surround the weak sheltered princess with literal superhuman mystical beings.

This and also the main shitkicker isn't even a magic dragon man. I'd like to see something similar where the fight scenes aren't like a scene from Dynasty Warriors. I guess there's Twelve Kingdoms and Moribito (which are also significantly better than Yona in other ways as well) but it's annoying to see two fairly recent shows with similar themes suffering from exactly the same problem

I'll admit that Yona is less bad for this than the adventures of DARYUN and Persian-themed Zhuge Liang Heroic Legend of Arslan

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The second Yona op is super good, and I'll fight all 120 of you people here who disagree.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Strange Quark posted:

The second Yona op is super good, and I'll fight all 120 of you people here who disagree.

it's all right but it's nowhere near as good as the first one

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The sharp contrast between the two helps demonstrates Yona's growth out of her traditional princess role.

And I also think it just sounds great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the early Yona stuff, but I feel that Yona herself shows off her chops best once all four of the dragons join the group which obviously doesn't happen in the anime. She is never going to have any of the super powers of the rest of the gang but the story has thus far done a superb job of making it clear that the entire group dynamic and all the good they do for the world is because of her extraordinary determination to see her goals through to the end and the group as a whole is very much a reflection of herself.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished Yona and it was... ok. It starts with some great ideas with plenty of potential, and then doesn't really do a lot with it. Obviously part of the issue is that they planned on a second season from the start, but even so the show didn't go very far with its ideas.

Yona's now now she's confident, driven, and can use a bow, but for the most part she's still pretty incompetent and is very often just a damsel in distress. Ironic, given the intend theme of the show. Oh, and she collected the human/dragon McGuffins whose purpose was never explained beyond "they were chosen to serve you". One of the more interesting things that the show did manage to do was to instill in Yona a sense of purpose and emotional strength through the things she witnessed in the course of collecting said McGuffins. But that doesn't explain the leadership qualities that she somehow already possessed but never had a reason to use before. They just... appear.

Honestly, I would much rather have watched a show about Su-won. He was a much more interesting character despite his limited screen time because the show handled his characterization pretty well. Yet despite having so much time to grow Yona, it fails to do much with her. Or anyone else really. All of the other characters are pretty flat and gimmicky. And the show often can't take itself seriously enough to not stuff tons of unnecessary comedy interjections to lighten the mood. It constantly panders to its audience in that way.

Overall, it feels like a case of lost potential.

tl;dr, Yona does some things very well, but not enough for me to recommend as a good fantasy drama or adventure.

The Colonel posted:

i mean, it ends on a cliffhanger because it's a direct adaptation of an ongoing manga, so if you want it to get the chance to fully explore its story that's kind of staring you right in the face

I get that, but it's annoying to realize only at the very end that I just watched 24 episodes of setup. There was no payoff. I don't think this first season had the right focus to make it satisfying on its own, or the ability to present its material in an interesting enough way to make me interested in the story going further. It ended up feeling half baked.

Hell, the yellow dragon literally states the core issue towards the end of the last episode: Yona, at no point throughout this first season, knows what she wants to do. She collected the dragons because she needed something to do after the inciting incident and that's what she was told to do. She could just as easily have gone on her character-building roadtrip with just her starting companions and the story wouldn't be much different. It's not until the last 5 minutes of the show that she makes a decision as to what she wants to do. This is something that the show should have implicitly conveyed through her character arc, not via explicit dialogue right at the very end. It's a bad setup for a second season.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 27, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean, it ends on a cliffhanger because it's a direct adaptation of an ongoing manga, so if you want it to get the chance to fully explore its story that's kind of staring you right in the face

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Just finished Yona and it was... ok. It starts with some great ideas with plenty of potential, and then doesn't really do a lot with it. Obviously part of the issue is that they planned on a second season from the start, but even so the show didn't go very far with its ideas.

Unless you're planning to dive straight into the manga, I'd recommend watching episodes 2 and 3 of the OVA. They cover the backstory of the yellow dragon and are actually pretty good. They won't change your opinion of the "ending", but might provide a little extra inspiration to start the manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My confession is that I've never actually seen an episode of the Yona anime, I just really loving love the manga and that is what informs all of my opinions about that story. I had thought the main pitch was that one would watch the anime as an introduction and then flow into the manga smoothly afterwards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the manga is nearly impeccable, I can't say anything about the anime but it sure doesn't sound as impeccable as the manga!

hell one of my favorite characters isn't even part of the main crew. like he's had two major appearances/storyline beats and has showed up a third time recently, but his growth rivals Yona herself. the writing for the characters in Yona is so god drat good and if the anime doesn't even introduce Zeno then it's probably garbage anyways and you should've just gone straight to the manga and looked up key moments in animated form instead

Zeno is such a god drat good character and also his mere existence is a catalyst for the series taking things to another, much more :stare: level

yona is one of the best currently running mangas and it sounds like the anime doesn't do it justice at all

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Apparently the aforementioned set of OVAs do indeed cover Zeno's backstory so that might be worth checking out as a manga reader, since that might be one of my absolute favorite parts.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the manga is nearly impeccable, I can't say anything about the anime but it sure doesn't sound as impeccable as the manga!

hell one of my favorite characters isn't even part of the main crew. like he's had two major appearances/storyline beats and has showed up a third time recently, but his growth rivals Yona herself. the writing for the characters in Yona is so god drat good and if the anime doesn't even introduce Zeno then it's probably garbage anyways and you should've just gone straight to the manga and looked up key moments in animated form instead

Zeno is such a god drat good character and also his mere existence is a catalyst for the series taking things to another, much more :stare: level

yona is one of the best currently running mangas and it sounds like the anime doesn't do it justice at all

Well that's quite a sell. I might check it out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Throw me in as another one who's never actually watched the show, i just read the manga and based my opinions solely on that.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yona the show is good, it just doesn't get to the point where the manga gets really really good. If it ever gets a second season it'll own really hard.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Recommend me something that will make me think, something smart and provocative but maybe not too violent

Also another one that's dark like Madoka or Evangelion, this one can be violent

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

JD posted:

Recommend me something that will make me think, something smart and provocative but maybe not too violent

I'm going to recommend anything by Yuasa. My favorite is Kaiba, though I think most would say The Tatami Galaxy or his fantastic movie Mind Game. Tatami has the benefit of being available for streaming, on funi.

Nothing particularly violent in these, iirc, but certainly dark on occasion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JD posted:

From the New World

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

JD posted:

While it's not the same genre as either of your examples, you might check out Now and Then, Here and There.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

JD posted:

Shin Sekai Yori aka From the Ne....

Sakurazuka posted:

From the New World

Yeah this.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Thanks guys, those look interesting!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

From the New World

Yep.

Also check out some more Gen Urobuchi. Fate/Zero and especially Psycho-Pass.

Also Ghost in the Shell.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't watch fate/zero first if you have any interest in any of the other fate stuff

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

JD posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

don't watch fate/zero first if you have any interest in any of the other fate stuff

Watch it anyway because ADTRW has a hate boner for kiritsugu and it is in fact far better than all the other Fate/ content.

But it is true that Fate/Zero is an original work by Urobuchi based on the Fate/Stay Night VN rather than being a direct adaptation, and tells a very different kind of story. You should still watch it first, as it will not work quite as well if you already know the important characters from the main Fate/ content.

I will also admit that the "walking ominously in a circle" scene was kind of dumb.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bongo Bill posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes.
This though it can get quite violent, though that is often to punctuate a point rather than for its own sake which makes it a lot more meaningful

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

This though it can get quite violent, though that is often to punctuate a point rather than for its own sake which makes it a lot more meaningful

Yeah, the violence only gets graphic like once a season, and it's always brief and suitably shocking. Most of it's from a rather bloodless, god's-eye perspective.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Legend of Galactic Heroes is good, but fair warning, it's pretty slow and extremely long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Splode posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes is good, but fair warning, it's pretty slow and extremely long.

Still faster and shorter than One Piece! :v: