Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So to be more positive about this DLC, Dreg Heaps is actually a really nice invasion spot. I thought it would be awful because of the forced falls but From actually designed the invasion spots properly for once. I have yet to be placed lower than the host is, so I've never been locked out of fighting them. Finding them is pretty easy too despite how confusing the area can seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have provided the tower falling that gives you an alternate path to the first bonfire because maybe that's how people are missing the teaching moment?? I dunno

you can easily kill the thing and not see the angel at all when it dies

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

So to be more positive about this DLC, Dreg Heaps is actually a really nice invasion spot. I thought it would be awful because of the forced falls but From actually designed the invasion spots properly for once. I have yet to be placed lower than the host is, so I've never been locked out of fighting them. Finding them is pretty easy too despite how confusing the area can seem.
Likewise, I imagine the Spears covenant boss fight is also a lot more fun, when you're the boss. :getin:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The thread title should clearly be Fear not, the dark, my friend. And let the feast begin.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So from added a weapon that has an RNG weapon art. I dunno what the two "good" results do but the bad one create a homing purple orb that will blow up, damaging you. You can roll through it and it might hurt enemies, but still :psyduck:

Your Computer posted:

The thread title should clearly be Fear not, the dark, my friend. And let the feast begin.

I shall partake.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gnumonic posted:

So I found and killed that one and I still haven't the slightest idea where the ugly thing for the swamp angel is. I'm just gonna wait til I can find a video showing the location, the fun part of this game is the combat, not running aimlessly into instant death for hours on end. It's like they thought the bed of chaos would be a great design choice for a whole level, this is awful.

Dude, check my post on like the last page. There's a youtube video that shows you the route.

e: here

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Invasions are instant and in the invaders favor early on!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I hope there's a weapon to displace the Dark Sword in this DLC. That's about all I hope for in gear.

WaltherFeng posted:

Bloodborne is still the best Dark Souls game, I see

Bloodborne will always be the best souls game because they were able to toss all the canonical What Is Dark Souls (author: the Internet) bullshit and just make a good game. Given the comments I see here and having watched a video of the last boss I'm already getting a big Dark2 vibe on this DLC and that ain't great.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
the mother brain styled mechanic from Bloodborne gave me conniptions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I couldn't figure out where to go from The Dreg Heaps after exploring every avenue I could find, so in frustration I jumped off a big ledge with lots of bloodstains at the end next to "try jumping!" and "liar ahead" messages.

I landed safely at the base and found the next bonfire :doh:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I am so happy I (boss spoiler) killed a dragon and turned it's soul into an anime katana

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm worried about progressing without finding whatever it is Not Patches is searching for. Will it be obvious when I get there? Can I screw his "quest" up in any way? He's sitting on a chair in the little hidden area before the swamp, but all I get is a 'Say Nothing' prompt.

Jerusalem posted:

I couldn't figure out where to go from The Dreg Heaps after exploring every avenue I could find, so in frustration I jumped off a big ledge with lots of bloodstains at the end next to "try jumping!" and "liar ahead" messages.

I landed safely at the base and found the next bonfire :doh:

Take the plunge. You won't die.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Your Computer posted:

I'm worried about progressing without finding whatever it is Not Patches is searching for. Will it be obvious when I get there? Can I screw his "quest" up in any way? He's sitting on a chair in the little hidden area before the swamp, but all I get is a 'Say Nothing' prompt.
Find the Purging Monument. It's in a hidden area around that part. Once you've located it you'll have another dialogue option.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

You can't mess that up, I didn't know about it until after I killed every boss and progressed it just fine from start to end

The solution to get what he wants

General location It's in the swamp after you get the shortcut there

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

There is one Kinda easily missable thing in the DLC By the way,

Quest spoiler, Boss Spoiler, Slight (super minor) story spoiler

The lady you can talk to through the door after the room with all the hollow clerics, she asks you to kill the dragon, who is an optional boss. If you do that before disturbing the Princess and come back to her, she gives you a slab apparently, I messed it up as I wanted to take a break from that boss

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Gnumonic posted:

So I found and killed that one and I still haven't the slightest idea where the ugly thing for the swamp angel is. I'm just gonna wait til I can find a video showing the location, the fun part of this game is the combat, not running aimlessly into instant death for hours on end. It's like they thought the bed of chaos would be a great design choice for a whole level, this is awful.

Absolutely agree, the Angels punish caution yet hit you even while running, so I guess they punish you for rushing as well? don't even know, I'm not feeling this dlc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stormgale posted:

You can't mess that up, I didn't know about it until after I killed every boss and progressed it just fine from start to end

The solution to get what he wants

General location It's in the swamp after you get the shortcut there

Okay I've killed everything, gotten the shortcut and run around for a good while now and I can't find anything :negative: Is it an illusory wall? I've tried rolling into all the walls I can find but haven't found anything.

e: oh wait I can actually read this engraving. I noticed it but didn't know I could interact with it. Interesting!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 28, 2017

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Anybody dying to the angels just boggles my mind. It took like ten seconds of observation to figure out how to deal with them. Their first two shots are slower and have less beams, they're easily rolled through with minimal damage. After that they go nuts and will just spam dozens of beams and you will die. But you should never have to be out of cover for longer than two shots, even if they spot you the second you break cover.

As for getting rid of them, don't people play online? All their true bodies had like 50 messages leading to them for me.

Getting lost in Dreg Heap is shameful too, Gael has like a billion dev messages showing you the way. Y'all need to read messages!

Just got past the fatty staircase and the big hammer invader down in the city and this is the most fun I've had with Souls yet. Loving it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Monomythian posted:

Absolutely agree, the Angels punish caution yet hit you even while running, so I guess they punish you for rushing as well? don't even know, I'm not feeling this dlc.

The angels punish caution, punish rushing out of cover for too long, and are weak to savequitting. If you actually know where to go it's not that horrible but it wasn't a fun section. It reminded me a lot of Shrine of Amana.

AttackBacon posted:

As for getting rid of them, don't people play online?

Virtually never.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Mailer posted:

The angels punish caution, punish rushing out of cover for too long, and are weak to savequitting. If you actually know where to go it's not that horrible but it wasn't a fun section. It reminded me a lot of Shrine of Amana.

it's mostly the one in the Bog ish area, it can flush you out of cover and has a patrol that covers a massive area

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Dang, all my saves are gone for good this time. Well time to start fresh before hitting up the new DLC, I don't know what kind of build I should do though. what kind of stats do the sick new weapons use?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I ended up googling the riddle and I'm happy I did. That's more obtuse than I could've imagined.

Even with the solution it took me something like 15 branches to even get the right disguise. I assume I'll run into him again somewhere? Possibly with his charming personally back? He said he'd go to the monument but he's not there and his chair is empty.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yep, continue on, you will see him soon!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir posted:

how well does a luck/dex/hollow-based bleed build fare in PvE these days, and any good tips to get started?

I'm not asking too much here, I hope. like, what weapons and infusions should I be going for at the beginning, and what's the best weapons? should I go for pointy swords, katanas or SS?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's the item in the statue of Gwyn's hand? I didn't bother dropping down to pick it up because I forgot. Is it anything important or just like a soul item?

edit: I really like the idea of the DLC, lore-wise. This has all been leading up to (ending spoilers) harnessing the last remaining power of the Dark Soul itself to create a new world outside of the light and dark cycle, to put an end to it for good. And if you ended the DLCs properly, you've done it! The little girl will paint a new world with the ~blood of the dark soul~ with no souls, no light and dark, nothing, returned to just plain ol ash.

But what I find to be most interesting about that is... y'know... that sounds pretty familiar.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

ulvir posted:

I'm not asking too much here, I hope. like, what weapons and infusions should I be going for at the beginning, and what's the best weapons? should I go for pointy swords, katanas or SS?

its a pretty hard question since they just patched bleed stuff. in the previous patch luck builds were kind of pointless unless you went for anris sword for some reason. generally it was better to do quality and just use cathrus rouge on your weapon to do bleed. and carthus curved sword was is probably still up there for good bleed weapon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm loving this DLC but I have to agree that there are some bullshit parts. The judicator giants are awful, except for perhaps the first one. It feels like a dice roll every time, sometimes they keep summoning archers even if you're in melee, they'll frequently spawn enemies in every direction which makes it impossible to keep track of and the witches that use the shockwave attack can appear in such a way that you can't dodge all the attacks. Oh, and those shockwaves deal 80% of my health in a single hit. Aaaand I'm also fighting the giant itself.

I definitely see myself running past a lot of this in the future, which is a shame. :( I'm the type who loves to kill all the mobs (to me, that's half the fun) and especially when doing gimmick runs, "how do I deal with this enemy encounter" becomes a big part of the challenge... but some of these encounters just aren't fun.

Stormgale posted:

Yep, continue on, you will see him soon!

Thanks, good compeer.

Now if only I can beat this big dumb dragon!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Time_pants posted:

Does there seem to be any clear elemental weakness among the monsters or bosses to exploit?

I've found that this works pretty well against any bosses that one might be struggling with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp28JPs25ek

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ffs the DLC has only been out for like 12 hours please don't post the series-ending cinematic in this thread without even a spoiler tag <:mad:>
my life is enriched for having watched that video, what a video

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ulvir posted:

I rolled with the same old Dark Sword quality build that worked for my achievement run when the game first released. Bleed has been nerfed according to the patch notes but I'm still using rouge and at SL120 the DLC has felt fine so far. You'll never get the equivalent of sorcery shotgunning in dark1 or hexing everything in dark2 because everything is ~esports balance~ now but a quality build with a good weapon still works just fine.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Iretep posted:

its a pretty hard question since they just patched bleed stuff. in the previous patch luck builds were kind of pointless unless you went for anris sword for some reason. generally it was better to do quality and just use cathrus rouge on your weapon to do bleed. and carthus curved sword was is probably still up there for good bleed weapon.

Mailer posted:

I rolled with the same old Dark Sword quality build that worked for my achievement run when the game first released. Bleed has been nerfed according to the patch notes but I'm still using rouge and at SL120 the DLC has felt fine so far. You'll never get the equivalent of sorcery shotgunning in dark1 or hexing everything in dark2 because everything is ~esports balance~ now but a quality build with a good weapon still works just fine.

quality build is centred around equal points in str/dex, right?

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

CJacobs posted:

What's the item in the statue of Gwyn's hand? I didn't bother dropping down to pick it up because I forgot. Is it anything important or just like a soul item?

edit: I really like the idea of the DLC, lore-wise. This has all been leading up to (ending spoilers) harnessing the last remaining power of the Dark Soul itself to create a new world outside of the light and dark cycle, to put an end to it for good. And if you ended the DLCs properly, you've done it! The little girl will paint a new world with the ~blood of the dark soul~ with no souls, no light and dark, nothing, returned to just plain ol ash.

But what I find to be most interesting about that is... y'know... that sounds pretty familiar.

Chloranthy Ring +3

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Chloranthy Ring +3

Hoo boy, that would've been useful for the final fight :suicide:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

ulvir posted:

quality build is centred around equal points in str/dex, right?

yes. some quality builds can also go 30/40 or 40/30 depending on weapon but most just go full 40/40.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
How does fire do in the DLC? I was thinking of going for the fire sword from ashes again since I had a lot of fun with that last time I played.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
first and hardest boss is immune to fire i think. weak to dark.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Iretep posted:

first and hardest boss is immune to fire i think

noooooo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

There's no way that's true, right? I can't imagine they'd make a boss that completely screws over one of the main builds like that.

Also that boss is definitely not the hardest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

First boss takes next to no damage from fire attacks and due to it's nature has a lot of hit points. Thankfully Pyromancers have access to dark damage, which should pull you through.