Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

So I haven't played in a few years (excepting a quickly-splatted HeWz three months back) and I'd appreciate some advice on what order I should be clearing things now that the branches have been changed a bit. (For reference, I stopped playing around the time the Dungeon was condensed - I have a vague recollection that the Depths is basically the lower Dungeon but smashed into fewer levels?) Gear obviously affects things, but what's the common wisdom on order of branches? Dungeon -> Lair -> more Dungeon for a while -> Orc (not 4, or is there even a 4?) -> ?

Basically Dungeon to Lair, Lair, rest of D, Orc, Lair Branches, Vaults 1-4, Crypt, Depths, then Vaults 5 or Slime or Abyss for the 3rd rune. If you wanted to do Elf do it any time after V4 when you have the resists - unless you were planning on doing the abyssal rune anyway...

I will often clear a bit more D if I hit Lair and can't kill death yaks or hydrae, but that's basically it. It's really not worth doing Orc too early anymore as it's 2 levels and even Orc 1 can be a real bitch now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks! I liked the evokable flight and blink, but I suppose I can drop that. Trogbros has solved my hydra problem and I have Spider & Shoals so it's not a big deal. The mottled dragon armor was nice because 1) I have decent dodging on a mino and 2) it was in a store pretty early in the dungeon so huzzah. I'll check for ego'd chain/plate.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I suddenly just remembered Controlled Flight used to exist. I feel better about current state of game again.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

cheetah7071 posted:

High Elf form, which recalculates your skills, abilities, and xl as if you were a high elf for the duration of the spell.

singularity form

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Samog posted:

singularity form

Given that you'd be the only high elf in existence, wouldn't high elf form be singularity form?

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

World Famous W posted:

I suddenly just remembered Controlled Flight used to exist. I feel better about current state of game again.

Real gamers remember the joy of Control Teleport combined with a ring of teleport

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just floating around, items under your feet far from your reach. Tengu only able to levitate and not fly from potions even though Dr could. Good times.

Edit: on current state of affairs, why can Tengus still not cancel their innate flight ability before it becomes permaflight?

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 28, 2017

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

ACTUAL gamers remember the days before auto explore existed

and they weep

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Saving up all my experience for disarming all the needle and dart traps in the dungeon so that I dont blunder blindly into every Zot trap.

Collecting all those darts for the horrible spores.

Starving to death because of a cursed whip.

Thinking Ogre Mages were playable.

Dropping all my potions because of an Ice Beast.

Fun times.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

World Famous W posted:

Collecting all those darts for the horrible spores.
I'd forgotten those were a thing and I don't appreciate you reminding me

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

tote up a bags posted:

ACTUAL gamers remember the days before auto explore existed

and they weep

My first win I didn't know about auto-explore for like 90% of it, I'm sure I idled at least a few times but play time was listed as 34 hours :gonk:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress you, I miss spores and their colonies, that poo poo was great.

I also enjoy item destruction, so what I'm saying here is maybe I should go play IVAN?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Serephina posted:

gently caress you, I miss spores and their colonies, that poo poo was great.

I also enjoy item destruction, so what I'm saying here is maybe I should go play IVAN?

I haven't played it yet, but from what I've watched Cogmind is pretty good and is designed around item destruction.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Cogmind is good and its item destruction means you have to change your tactics on the fly based on what you've got available.

Unless they've changed it quite a bit since I last played it the game heavily favors stealth builds over combat builds due to how risky fighting things are and the resultant attrition.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Found a +9 greatsword with rC, mp+9 :catstare:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Don't forget the most deadly type of item destruction, food destruction. Watch out, if you get attacked by too many harpies you'll run out of chokos and be unable to appease chokowaru.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

As a person who mostly played spriggans at the time, harpies loving terrified me

MY BREADS :negative:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

As a person who mostly played spriggans at the time, harpies loving terrified me

I always dropped all my food except one when going into shoals...

...and all my potions except one cure and one heal before going into an Ice Cave.
...and all my scrolls except one tport and one fear before going into a Volcano.
...and all my non-randart non-dwarven armor before going into Slime.

And don't forget leaving a few key scrolls at the stairs from Zot 5 to Zot 4 in case OOFs nuked the rest. And always make your stash on the Lair 1 stairs or at the exit to Hell Vestibule if you don't want slimes to eat it all while you are off adventuring!

Does anyone still use stashes? I still drop my spellbooks and stuff like cure mut potions and recharge scrolls at the Lair 1 stairs. But I probably lose thousands of turns a game coming back for stuff.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

someone awful. posted:

MY BREADS :negative:

I checked the wiki and apparently this feature actually used to be in the game :lol: :eyepop:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
FR (this time unironic): Floorgod as an actual god choice

passive power: loot gets slightly weighted to be better (more likely to see weapons of the type you want, more likely to see branded stuff, etc)

* - identify items for hunger (and possibly MP)
*** - reroll the brand on an item, or add a brand to an unbranded one, for piety
***** - one-time-use power of turning any item into a randart of the same base item for free. also, acquirement on demand for a big piety cost

the piety costs on the *** and ***** powers should be enough to send you back to *. earn piety by exploring.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Also you used to need an edged weapon equipped in order to butcher corpses. So if you wield ID'd a mace/staff/(I think?)1h polearm and it was cursed, you couldn't get chunks and could feisably starve to death in super early game, with poor luck

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
The -3 gloves of It's Over Quickly {-Tele -3 Int}

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

FR (this time unironic): Floorgod as an actual god choice

passive power: loot gets slightly weighted to be better (more likely to see weapons of the type you want, more likely to see branded stuff, etc)

* - identify items for hunger (and possibly MP)
*** - reroll the brand on an item, or add a brand to an unbranded one, for piety
***** - one-time-use power of turning any item into a randart of the same base item for free. also, acquirement on demand for a big piety cost

the piety costs on the *** and ***** powers should be enough to send you back to *. earn piety by exploring.

I would rather take Oka or Gozag (or even Xom), since they have other useful stuff after I get enough drops.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Do I drop my faith +5 amulet for gourmand on a trog dude so I can use my bad rear end crossbow with my vampiric executioner axe, or do I micromanage food and never use ranged stuff most likely? It's super tedious switching like that.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Faith amulets have modifiers?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Does anyone still use stashes? I still drop my spellbooks and stuff like cure mut potions and recharge scrolls at the Lair 1 stairs. But I probably lose thousands of turns a game coming back for stuff.

I do. I like keeping everything neat and organized. Always near an up stair on Lair:2, always waypoint 1. Of course the place is just habit these days but still.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Floodkiller posted:

I would rather take Oka or Gozag (or even Xom), since they have other useful stuff after I get enough drops.

I'm kind of envisioning Floorgod as basically Gozag on PCP- you give up Potion Petition and Bribe Branch and the gold fuckery in exchange for being able to minmax the living gently caress out of your gear and have +9 literally everything and shrug off Pan lords like they were goblins

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Araganzar posted:

Only for spellbooks and some artifacts. Usually in D somewhere near the stairs to O or L, so I can pile up the branch end loot efficiently.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I frequently stash, though in my case it's more "here's these wands I have duplicates of" or "books", and I'll drop them right where I'm standing, make a waypoint and a level annotation.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You can use ctrl-F for those things.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You could balance Floorgod by making his penance brutal oods. So great for that early we, but if you dump him for something more useful better hope you got enough

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Old habits die hard. I still stash at L:1, making separate piles for weapons, armor, jewellery, etc. I like collecting stuff, even if I don't use 99% of it...

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've just started throwing whatever wherever and Ctrl-F for it later. The end of Item Destruction and monsters picking up seen items was one of the better changes.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Chalk me up for another L:1 stasher.

I also like to layout armours split into arts and non-art, placed in a way that it looks like a little person is there (helmets on top of chest pieces with shields on one side and weapons on the other...)

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Carados posted:

Do I drop my faith +5 amulet for gourmand on a trog dude so I can use my bad rear end crossbow with my vampiric executioner axe, or do I micromanage food and never use ranged stuff most likely? It's super tedious switching like that.

Generally, you don't need anything more than that vampiric executioner's axe, and instead of wasting xp on crossbows you should get that to mindelay and then concentrate on defenses for the rest of the game.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I keep a stash because I won't necessarily remember what I've come across. It's great that I can ctrl+f something specific that I know I need, but I might just totally forget that I came across some specific item and not think to search for it. If I go to my stash, I see it there and remember that it exists. I just do occasional visits and switch out inventory, pick up stuff I'll need for next branch, memorize spells, eat, whatever.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I just inscribe items I want to stash with !@ so I can just search that string to bring up my items of interest.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

For all the gameplay fuckery that's been happening recently I super appreciate how nice the UI/UX is.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

Generally, you don't need anything more than that vampiric executioner's axe, and instead of wasting xp on crossbows you should get that to mindelay and then concentrate on defenses for the rest of the game.

Yeah I went for evocations instead and then lost it in zot 5 due to being really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Finally got around to ascending an Uskayaw guy. The "solo" ability and pain link let me put out absolutely absurd amounts of damage to groups - it really did manage to encourage me to dive headfirst into crowds when I'd normally be luring back to a murder hole somewhere. I felt like I barely used stomp (was using a vampiric axe for most of the game, which seemed to do the same amount of damage + vampirism) or line pass, and while grand finale was super cool when it worked, it failed too often against tough enemies. I usually wound up getting to *****, hitting stomp just enough to get my piety down far enough to solo again, and repeating. I think I may have gotten more mileage out of the active abilities if I had focused Invocations earlier, but even relying mostly on the passives he still felt very powerful.

• Locked thread