Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

A few days ago I organised a successful boycott of the sandwich chain Pret A Manger that was followed by a climbdown by their management on the issue of paying young workers with sandwiches.

At the time I dare say some Pret fans would have accused me of 'whining and moaning' too.

I'd like to hear moar about this boycott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Breath Ray posted:

How did Big Keir Starmer do last night?

Fine I guess, but it doesn't matter does it?

People have made up their minds and Leavers/Remainers is the new identity politics. Don't you know that German car manufacturers will force their government to give us an amazing trade deal :smuggo:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

I'd like to hear moar about this boycott

It's easy to take part. Simply avoid buying or eating any Pret A Manger products.

Pret Boycott '17. Lets take a slice out of their profits.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

People have made up their minds and Leavers/Remainers is the new identity politics. Don't you know that German car manufacturers will force their government to give us an amazing trade deal :smuggo:

Im always glad to see a labour rep doing well. Plus with his legal background he'd easily be able to dismantle the Tories discredited ideas on economics

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It's easy to take part. Simply avoid buying or eating any Pret A Manger products.

Pret Boycott '17. Lets take a slice out of their profits.

I thought you said management climbed down though? Why must you continue to punish big business

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Breath Ray posted:

Im always glad to see a labour rep doing well. Plus with his legal background he'd easily be able to dismantle the Tories discredited ideas on economics

Why would being a lawyer make you better at economics?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

I thought you said management climbed down though? Why must you continue to punish big business

I sense blood in the water.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i wonder what this thread will be like when corbyn is no longer labour leader and people will finally stop arguing with pissflaps about him

lol like they'll be able to help themselves even after he's dead

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

i wonder what this thread will be like when corbyn is no longer labour leader and people will finally stop arguing with pissflaps about him

lol like they'll be able to help themselves even after he's dead

Very few people argue in favour of Corbyn anymore.

I won the debate.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Why would being a lawyer make you better at economics?

Lawyers are fair minded and rigorous

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Very few people argue in favour of Corbyn anymore.

I won the debate.

Great, you can shut up about him now then. No more polls about who the public thinks is the bestest leader either, whatever will you do with yourself?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Don't Lol me posted:

Great, you can shut up about him now then. No more polls about who the public thinks is the bestest leader either, whatever will you do with yourself?

No I won't be 'shutting up' about UK politics nor will I be ignoring opinion polls.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Like the security guard on the front gate who considers himself head of the corporation...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
These personal attacks may make you feel better but they cast you in a very poor light and do nothing to further the debate our understanding of real issues.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I sense blood in the water.

Have you had your prostate checked

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/846662250861645824

imo it is very reassuring that this bold national undertaking of ours is being led by mewling children who cannot stand to hear anything negative whatsoever about their pet project

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Breath Ray posted:

Lawyers are fair minded and rigorous

They also tend to speak in a way that's hard for a lot of people to understand.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

They also tend to speak in a way that's hard for a lot of people to understand.

THats why I was asking how he did on the telly last night

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

No I won't be 'shutting up' about UK politics nor will I be ignoring opinion polls.

Oh, I didn't realise Corbyn is the entirety of UK politics, along with popularity polls.

Most people stop when they feel they've "won", why don't you?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

LemonDrizzle posted:

imo it is very reassuring that this bold national undertaking of ours is being led by mewling children who cannot stand to hear anything negative whatsoever about their pet project

lol. just lol.

:suicide:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/846616175488499712

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Starmer basically just held to the Labour strategy -"the people decided, we voted accordingly, now we're holding the government to account with these red lines and if they're not met we won't be voting for the final deal". A lot of talk about the importance of what's happening and doing it right. Pretty dull and sincere but that's where they're at, being the serious party that's part of the process and acts as the people's watchdog

He wasn't a very engaging speaker either! Props to Nick "mey waife" Clegg for straight-up calling the whole thing bullshit all night even though everyone hated him for it. No minds were changed

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Alexander "I just broke the Geneva Convention" Blackman, also known as Marine A, sentenced to seven years for manslaughter due to diminished responsibility. Because he had served three and a half years for the murder conviction already, he's due to be released within weeks due to good behaviour.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

The reduction of his conviction to manslaughter is an absolute disgrace.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Obviously stress makes you do crazy things, like committing war crimes.

It's like how OCD makes you a neo-Nazi assassin.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Literally hundreds of posts consisting of little other than corbyn bad or an opinion poll may make you feel better but it casts you in a very poor light when you do nothing to change the situation you complain about and opt for endlessly whinging and expecting others to do the work for you.

It's not even accursed slacktivism. It's akin to a stroppy child continually complaining when their room is a mess rather than tidy up a single toy or even discuss the process of tidying. But for years on end, and hundreds, if not a thousand+ posts now.

TinTower posted:

Obviously stress makes you do crazy things, like committing war crimes.

It's like how OCD makes you a neo-Nazi assassin.

Quiet gardener. Can't upset the tabloids.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

I'm glad that everyone involved is taking this in the spirit of sincerity and political neutrality we need.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

The reduction of his conviction to manslaughter is an absolute disgrace.

Seems he has a mental illness and claimed diminished responsibility?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

He got stressed out so it's okay that he waited until any observers flew away before openly admitting to breaking the geneva convention and telling everyone to keep it quiet.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Wow ok mr atos. I would be very circumspect before concluding that a person's words or actions invalidate any existing mental health issues.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Wow ok mr atos. I would be very circumspect before concluding that a person's words or actions invalidate any existing mental health issues.
I'm not trying to ~mental health shame~ the guy but the defence was basically "battle stress, a definite medical condition that doesn't exist largely to let soldiers off when they commit war crimes, made him do this".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

"So, Mr Goebbels, do you have any response to the accusation that not only were you directly involved in the commission of genocide, you also engaged in human experimentation on prisoners of war?"
"I vos stressed."

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

From what I can tell from newspapers and online commenters, the argument is that its actually okay to murder people as long as we can define them as terrorists.

Bit different when the sides are switched though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

jBrereton posted:

I'm not trying to ~mental health shame~ the guy but the defence was basically "battle stress, a definite medical condition that doesn't exist largely to let soldiers off when they commit war crimes, made him do this".

Mental issues in soldiers is a very real and very serious issue. I'm not saying this guy has it, and I'm not sure if he saw professional if he was using that defence in court, but suggesting that mental issues, including battle stress, are made up to help soldiers get away with war crimes is a very slimy thing to do.

haakman
May 5, 2011
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/fergus-wilson-bans-coloureds-123028/

I pray for Logan's Run.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TomViolence posted:

Well, in my case since winning his second leadership election.

It's almost like Corbyn should have... stepped down after the brexit referendum.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Breath Ray posted:

Certainly didn't diminish his capability to try an organise a cover up of the murder he comitted with malice aforethought. On camera.

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I think it's more as a result of a bunch of "aaar boys" rabble rousing by tabloids than by any legal debate that he goes free.

Weirdly enough I have a strange (and very limited) sympathy for him because I kind of understand the motive. The guy he murdered was probably dead soon anyway. I can imagine if the situation were reversed he might have seen it as mercy, and certainly if I was bleeding out from being shot by an apache I would want it ended quick. It didn't change the fact he aknowledged it was illegal, did it anyway and then tried to cover it up.

Knew it was illegal. Did it anyway. Covered it up. Had he gotten away with it the army would have probably given him a medal instead, because that's just how they roll.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TinTower posted:

Alexander "I just broke the Geneva Convention" Blackman, also known as Marine A, sentenced to seven years for manslaughter due to diminished responsibility. Because he had served three and a half years for the murder conviction already, he's due to be released within weeks due to good behaviour.

Marine A has suffered enough you guys!!! He's the real victim!!!

Pretty sure identity politics is still around

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 28, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gorn Myson posted:

From what I can tell from newspapers and online commenters, the argument is that its actually okay to murder people as long as we can define them as terrorists.

Bit different when the sides are switched though.

Without endorsing summary battlefield execution I feel a distinction can be drawn between civilian victims of terrorism and taliban gunmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I can imagine the lawyers for Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale are already getting the paperwork together.

• Locked thread