Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Intoluene posted:

I liked it more when I thought they were gay for each other. Then I learned the truth in my second time around. I guess 6O is enough gay robot for one Bunker :smith:

Just because one turned out to be a monster doesn't mean they're not gay. Also Jackass, if I'm reading things correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Intoluene posted:

I liked it more when I thought they were gay for each other. Then I learned the truth in my second time around. I guess 6O is enough gay robot for one Bunker :smith:

The way I see it, it was... both? Easily a thing Yoko would do.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Just because one turned out to be a monster doesn't mean they're not gay. Also Jackass, if I'm reading things correctly.

There's no specific intent of any kind tied to Commander White and Jackass' relationship, but that being said, I think what Yoko Taro was going for is that homosexuality is just a regular thing and not noteworthy to YoRHa bots so there's no real significance in 6O being gay. She just is. He was on record from NieR days saying that was his intent with Emil too.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Mindblast posted:

The way I see it, it was... both? Easily a thing Yoko would do.

I suppose violence and love are linked according to Jackass and, you know what, I'm okay leaving that thought right there. Also, weren't Commander White and Anemone an item? Not surprising considering 6O and the Commander seem to have gotten intimate.

Edit: Oh wait, it was Jackass that had a thing with the Commander.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've heard good things about this but so I've watched the first hour or so of the game. How representative is that of the overall game? I keep waiting to see what everyone is gushing over but so far all I see is anime junk.

Mass Effect Andromeda is the game for you friend.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, sexuality barely makes any sense in terms of androids anyway. I'm not sure they even really have gender? Or sex? Which makes them totally free, in a way that humans aren't.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I mean, sexuality barely makes any sense in terms of androids anyway. I'm not sure they even really have gender? Or sex? Which makes them totally free, in a way that humans aren't.

Love itself seems kind of pointless without reproduction as an eventual result but then, why not? I guess sex is still a thing if romance is?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

Assuming they have no sexual organs, they wouldn't have a sex but their gender would be whatever they identify themselves as. No reason why a B unit android couldn't identify as male despite being in a body that replicates the human female sex.

Intoluene posted:

Love itself seems kind of pointless without reproduction

100% not the case.
Love is a really weird and hosed up thing with loads of different forms that generally defies description and is its own reward, reproduction is merely a thing that happens more often between people who romantically love each other and that's about as far as that link goes.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 28, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Or even that there wouldn't be any problems moving personalities between bodies. That, unlike humans, an androids gender could be entirely their choice. Or rather, androids are not gendered at all, and simply have either masculine or feminine bodies because they are created in the image of humans.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Snak posted:

They have blood, drugs, booze, (some of them) eat for fun and there's a part where I think Pascal? tells 9S to avert his eyes while they work on a female android. There's probably some open question about the difference between yorha vs. "regular" androids, but it certainly seems like they can do stuff for fun in general.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Snak posted:

Or even that there wouldn't be any problems moving personalities between bodies. That, unlike humans, an androids gender could be entirely their choice. Or rather, androids are not gendered at all, and simply have either masculine or feminine bodies because they are created in the image of humans.

I'd say it's the latter. Rose in the stage play has implanted male human's memories but nobody even calls attention to that because presumably gender just isn't something that's important to androids.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They have blood, drugs, booze, (some of them) eat for fun and there's a part where I think Pascal? tells 9S to avert his eyes while they work on a female android. There's probably some open question about the difference between yorha vs. "regular" androids, but it certainly seems like they can do stuff for fun in general.

The real point here is that machines & androids echo humans, which also means their behaviours and societies. If you're asking "what's the point in an android doing x/y/z thing that a human does", the take away is "well, why do we do these things in real life because they're largely pointless" and if your answer is "well, I do drugs, drink and gently caress things because it feels good" then the answer for an android, who purposely copies humanity, is that they do it because "it feels good".

It would be way, way, way easier for an android to get a body where its self identified gender matches its sex, but it's not like this is impossible for a human either. Outside of life and death being cheaper to an android, there's really not a lot of difference when it comes to being human for 2B and pals and us in real life.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

2B should of tried to find some fortune cookies for 6O

She'd probably super be into those things.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

When I said they don't have sex, I meant the biological distinction. They clearly have sexual relationships and sex parts.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

100% not the case.
Love is a really weird and hosed up thing with loads of different forms that generally defies description and is its own reward, reproduction is merely a thing that happens more often between people who romantically love each other and that's about as far as that link goes.

I suppose I meant more in the sense of "Why would they be intended to feel love at all" but then, they're intended to be complete AI versions of humans so having love wouldn't be too far a stretch.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Intoluene posted:

I suppose I meant more in the sense of "Why would they be intended to feel love at all" but then, they're intended to be complete AI versions of humans so having love wouldn't be too far a stretch.

Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice has a good section on why you'd want an AI to feel love. The short version is that this is probably how the android's core goal of protectiveness towards humanity is accomplished. Leckie argues that it would be rational to choose Love to implement this, because other concepts of simple loyalty or obedience can fail if the target changes over time. What if humanity evolves over thousands of years? So to work in the timespan Nier operates in, only Love provides the sort of flexibility that makes it work.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

She laughs as the creepy music starts to play and tells you that 11B used to be an abusive rear end in a top hat because she wasn't a combat model, and now that she knows 11B is dead, she doesn't have to be afraid anymore and thinks it's hilarious that 11B went out running away like a coward.

The number of sidequests that take a nosedive into creepytown at the very end seems to be way higher than Nier but it hasn't lost its edge yet.

they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin they had it comin

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
The OST is on Amazon.com for $39 with an April 7th release. Anyone know if this 3 CD set includes the Hacking Tracks?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also I'm deep into Route B and still keeping the difficulty on Normal because 9S' gameplay suuuuucks and I want it over with as quickly as possible

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Snak posted:

I don't know why you would have any interest in this game at all if you have an aversion to anime.
I absolutely loathe obnoxious anime crap and the only time i was significantly irritated was 9S going shinji-insane at the end because they needed a final A2/9S conflict because... reasons. I guess his breakdown didn't resonate at all with me, and yeah yeah i know logic virus infection yada yada

RanKizama posted:

The OST is on Amazon.com for $39 with an April 7th release. Anyone know if this 3 CD set includes the Hacking Tracks?
There's an mp3 floating around that's basically all dynamic music sections/variants that loop/transition in-game exported as a sequence. It's goddamn 6 hours long, although that does include both lyric/instrumental versions. I doubt 3 cds will cut it.

Oxxidation posted:

Also I'm deep into Route B and still keeping the difficulty on Normal because 9S' gameplay suuuuucks and I want it over with as quickly as possible
Difficulty doesn't affect hacking does it? Just put it on easy and cruise through the main questline.

Monomythian posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is the game for you friend.
well now that's just needlessly cruel and uncalled for

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 28, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Oxxidation posted:

I was constantly switching between hard and normal during the main game depending on if I just wanted to get through the story segments.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RanKizama posted:

The hacking tracks are a first press bonus in Japan, so probably gently caress no.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The hacking tracks are a first press bonus in Japan, so probably gently caress no.

Squeenix's EU store specifically said they were included when I ordered the soundtrack from there.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Gotcha. CDJapan still has it available with the bonus Hacking CD so I got it there. $49 shipped via EMS with a 3-6 day delivery. Thanks. :cheers:

EDIT: You can get it here if you wanna make sure you get everything.

>> BUY IT HERE <<

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Squeenix's EU store specifically said they were included when I ordered the soundtrack from there.

You are right, it's also a first press bonus there, tho. I'd wish I could buy the OST Digital.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RanKizama posted:

Gotcha. CDJapan still has it available with the bonus Hacking CD so I got it there. $49 shipped via EMS with a 3-6 day delivery. Thanks. :cheers:

EDIT: You can get it here if you wanna make sure you get everything.

>> BUY IT HERE <<

This is way cheaper than shipping to Europe from Squeenix's European store, what the hell

Thanks for the heads up

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Squeenix Shop is really bad. I live in Germany, they ship from the UK and want 15 Euro shipping for the tiniest items

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I hope there will be a digital release at some point. I've got nothing against cd's but I'm sorta fully used to the digital era we're in.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mindblast posted:

I hope there will be a digital release at some point. I've got nothing against cd's but I'm sorta fully used to the digital era we're in.

Same, I bought all the Nier 1 OSTs, and ripping them and uploading them to the cloud is kinda unfortunate. The FFXV OST was on Google music almost instantly.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
CDJapan were nice enough to give me some loyalty points that just straight up took 300 yen off my order. They seem like swell guys.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

CDJapan were nice enough to give me some loyalty points that just straight up took 300 yen off my order. They seem like swell guys.

I ordered a lot from them back in the day, including a 200 Dollar Ar Tonelico OST, and never had any issues. They also give you points for your birthday and all that.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Intoluene posted:

I suppose violence and love are linked according to Jackass and, you know what, I'm okay leaving that thought right there.

Well that makes sense for combat units, but what about operators? Do operators feel a jolt of pleasure whenever they see other YoRHa units effectively coordinating their efforts? They seem really intent on forming relationships, and that one operator was really fixated on the idea of families. Seems like the operators are wired to fall in love with the units that keep getting sent out to die on Earth. Then, whenever they try to form relationships with each other on the Bunker, some safeguard kicks in and prevents that from happening.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I ordered a lot from them back in the day, including a 200 Dollar Ar Tonelico OST, and never had any issues. They also give you points for your birthday and all that.

Was this the Ar tonelico box with a poo poo load of disks?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yes, exactly that one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, also, the Yorha units are special, no? In that they are basically Machines, so plausibly they inherit the Machines' need to connect with each other, and to imitate humanity.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yes, exactly that one.

Fuuuck, I'm jealous.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Fangz posted:

Well, also, the Yorha units are special, no? In that they are basically Machines, so plausibly they inherit the Machines' need to connect with each other, and to imitate humanity.
9S also wants badly to **** 2B

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My favorite boss scene was (route c) auguste, as it's the only one that effectively communicates 9S' frustration with the machines - a somewhat cute machine relationship repeated endlessly until it turns into idiocy with no meaning

Also one of the more fun (but easy) boss fights because you dont have to fight the camera as much

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Fuuuck, I'm jealous.

I checked, it was 170 bucks total with shipping.

By the way, Squeenix EU wants 22 Euro shipping for the Nier Automata OST :aslol:

I'm pretty sure they ship from the UK,so gently caress them. That's 22 Euro for a 24, 99 Item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I really hope there's a digital version eventually like the first game's soundtracks. Even though I'd hate having to use something like iTunes for it