Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
"Sorry Marty, we already have like four people who can punch really hard, no room for one more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New Birdman 2 trailer dropping in 4 hours.

https://twitter.com/SpiderManMovie/status/846346096792109058

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiTECkLZ8HM

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For all the criticism they got, I still find the Amazing series to have a more visually interesting Spidey.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wow, Iron Man 4 featuring Spider-Man is looking great!

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Wow theres some powerful Brand Synergy in that trailer. Can't wait to see an extended commercial for other movies featuring my favorite Marvel Cinematic Universe superheroes!

I'll definitely try to get my lobotomy scheduled between now and the release date so I can sit through it

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Michael Keaton's giant feather collar on that vest is funny.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Birdman costume and the jet scene look really good.

The rest was fine, but not blowing me away.

I like that they actually got the inside of the Washington Monument elevator with bricks from all 50 states accurate.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For all the criticism they got, I still find the Amazing series to have a more visually interesting Spidey.

Yeah, I had the same reaction.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Michael Keaton looks great, but whenever I see the clip of him behind the wheel threatening someone in the back seat I think of someone in CineD saying he should have been Peter's bus driver who hates him.

I also don't understand why this movie would try to do a worse version of the Spider-Man 2 train scene.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That looks pretty boring TBH.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They're either hiding something or it's going to be incredibly paint-by-numbers.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It looks pretty much the same as every other Marvel movie; poorly shot, a complete lack of compelling drama but some decent jokes delivered by some very good actors.

I'll still watch it and enjoy it, but I'll almost certainly forget almost everything about it once the credits roll.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That trailer did nothing for me. The auto-formfitting costume is a cool idea though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Dave posted:

They're either hiding something or it's going to be incredibly paint-by-numbers.

Not sure if it counts as hiding something, but Tony Stark is only in the first 1/3 of the movie.

The jet scene might be near the end, but the rest of the clips look like they are from the beginning of the movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At the very least as a continuation of Tony's story I love where it's going. Tony's selfish nature proves again and again that he's not capable of being the hero he wants to be. So he's realized that in order to protect the world, he can't just build a better Iron Man. He has to build a better Tony Stark. So he finds a genius young kid with superpowers and tries to make him a good man. Fantastic.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There's going to be some angry posts in this thread when Michael Keaton's whole bit about how the rich and powerful don't care about them goes nowhere near the film actually indicting Stark Industries.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm still waiting to see what Ryan Coogler's cooking up. Jon Watts' visual direction seems to have pushed the cinematography a little above average (ironically, the action now looks as good as the stuff in the F&F "movie fight" clips), but I'm basically putting all my chips on Black Panther being the best MCU movie since The First Avenger.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

At the very least as a continuation of Tony's story I love where it's going. Tony's selfish nature proves again and again that he's not capable of being the hero he wants to be. So he's realized that in order to protect the world, he can't just build a better Iron Man. He has to build a better Tony Stark. So he finds a genius young kid with superpowers and tries to make him a good man. Fantastic.

Yeah this is at least something worthwhile. The rest looks bland as hell.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think it helps that Homecoming is not completely made within the Marvel Studios system.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tying it in with other popular characters and hiring a great actor with recent visibility via other good movies is all great on a strategic level. Truncating the Spiderman origin story, also good at this point. I think it will do really well and I wouldn't mind seeing Michael Keaton and Robert Downey Jr. in a scenery chew-off.

I think everyone's in general agreement that the Spiderman CG suit just looks kind of wrong? That's about the worst I can say about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dont even fink about it posted:

I think everyone's in general agreement that the Spiderman CG suit just looks kind of wrong? That's about the worst I can say about it.

Nah, I like it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The MSJ posted:

I think it helps that Homecoming is not completely made within the Marvel Studios system.
Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”.....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah this movie looks like a trash fire.

The only thing that might be pretty good is the Vulture and that's if the actually DO anything with him.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Spiderman Homecoming looks better than Justice League.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I want Spiderman to team up with Vultureman to fight the Avengers. Vultureman is right.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It is kind of hosed up that Birdman tries to make indie art and gets sucked in by corporate media. Then, he tries to go straight as a humble alien janitor and is muscled out by corporate interests.

Birdman can't catch a break.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Vulture looks awesome. Michael Keaton is awesome.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder what the pitch was for Keaton.

"I know Birdman was all about how playing a superhero had ruined your career. I get it. I do. So how about playing a supervillain instead?"

Alternatively, lots of money.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mordiceius posted:

I immediately watched the Justice League trailer after watching the Homecoming trailer. The difference in visuals is hilarious. Snyder owns.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

teagone posted:

I immediately watched the Justice League trailer after watching the Homecoming trailer. The difference in visuals is hilarious. Snyder owns.

B-but no color!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

teagone posted:

Yeah, but if I don't give a gently caress about the characters, visuals are meaningless.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So I'm predicting that by the end Peter gets the suit back (or redesigns a suit that looks like the traditional Spider-Man getup) but removes all the technological crutches Stark put in there after he proves he can be Spider-Man without it.

Also kind of funny that we all assumed that the boat scene was going to be the final set piece of the film.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Drifter posted:

What's the 'niche' between Aquaman and Wonder Woman, given that I'll bet they'll be fighting on land 100% of the movie? Superman taken off in JL is likely due to the story, not the difficulty of his powerset, especially when Batman beat the everloving gently caress outta him last movie.

There's obviously water scenes in the movie, hence Aquaman. Also comic relief, shared with the flash. . And Wonder woman is the one that kicks rear end. The DPS to Supermans Tank, if you will.

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

They've been writing stories about these characters together since the 60s. Why do you have this idea that it's impossible to put them in a movie together?

I didn't say impossible! Just that it's easier to tell a story when you don't have a guy with the powers of everyone else combined, let alone two of them.

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, but if I don't give a gently caress about the characters, visuals are meaningless.

I think they're keeping the overall strokes of the JL story a secret for the time being, instead of blurting it all out like the spider-man trailer did, so they might be keeping the character related details hush hush. Considering the reaction to the doomsday trailer of BvS that's probably a good idea.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mordiceius posted:

Nah.

teagone posted:

This is correct.

Mordiceius posted:

Why do you give a gently caress about Peter Parker?

Like, Batman and the Flash is literally the same exact relationship as Iron Man and Spider-Man, except the cinematography is way better and the effort to create a weird, uncanny, alien, and marvelous setting is pushed to greater extremes then simply two red blurs flying over "anywhere New York," again.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

McCloud posted:

I think they're keeping the overall strokes of the JL story a secret for the time being, instead of blurting it all out like the spider-man trailer did, so they might be keeping the character related details hush hush. Considering the reaction to the doomsday trailer of BvS that's probably a good idea.

Good idea, keep reasons for me to be interested in the film hush hush so that I don't have any desire to go see it.

K. Waste posted:

Like, Batman and the Flash is literally the same exact relationship as Iron Man and Spider-Man, except the cinematography is way better and the effort to create a weird, uncanny, alien, and marvelous setting is pushed to greater extremes then simply two red blurs flying over "anywhere New York," again.

Meh. I grew up as a big fan of Spider-Man. I never had much affinity for Batman/Wonder Woman/The Flash/Superman. They just didn't click for me in the way Spider-Man did.

The only interesting Batman is Batman Beyond. :colbert:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Im tired of Tony lecturing people.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Still pissed that Peter steals Miles' best friend, they should have just made it Miles then.

Also it is pretty depressing honestly that Stark is the one who coins "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man". It makes it seem cynical and ironic the way he says it.

Otherwise the movie looks decent? Probably not as good as the last two but will be better received because of the shiny "official Marvel product" sticker on the front of the box.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Mordiceius posted:

Good idea, keep reasons for me to be interested in the film hush hush so that I don't have any desire to go see it.

Meh. I grew up as a big fan of Spider-Man. I never had much affinity for Batman/Wonder Woman/The Flash/Superman. They just didn't click for me in the way Spider-Man did.

The only interesting Batman is Batman Beyond. :colbert:

That's because Batman Beyond IS Spider-Man. His villains are reflective of Spideys., he even met the Fantastic Four in one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

The Dave posted:

So like every other marvel movie?

• Locked thread