Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dacap posted:

I just remembered this article from last year, I'm guessing Stark's cleanup is the real Damage Control and likely the reason they cancelled the TV show that was in production

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/fan-theory-potentially-reveals-status-of-marvels-damage-control-tv-show-a147830

I mean, the real reason that show never got off the ground is because NBC had the DC version of it in the works. Never mind that the NBC show as it is now isn't *actually* about that any more (thanks pilot season!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anyone that says you absolutely need six movies to setup Justice League is just flat out wrong. Sure it would be nice to have the luxury to do that, and now that we've seen the results it's easy to say things would have gone better otherwise because I'm not sure they could have gone worse considering. But a good writer can introduce as many fantastical characters as you can think of at once and make it work fine. Unfortunately we've had David Goyer with his hand in a lot of this so that option is out the window. Without another strong creative voice to guide him Goyer has proven that he really struggles with superheroes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Question, has there been any mention of the seventh member for this movie? It's kinda been bugging me since we initially had those posters of "Unite the Seven". Superman is the sixth, and seven is.............................Oh I dunno Moe?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jiro posted:

Question, has there been any mention of the seventh member for this movie? It's kinda been bugging me since we initially had those posters of "Unite the Seven". Superman is the sixth, and seven is.............................Oh I dunno Moe?

Martian Manhunter or GL? KRAMER?????

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's gonna be a cameo at the end by Guy Gardner who moons Batman through the satellite window.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Roth posted:

It's gonna be a cameo at the end by Guy Gardner who moons Batman through the satellite window.

Don't play with my heart like that. Would prefer Kyle, but let's be honest he'd constantly get poo poo on for being a "rookie" all the time. Even by loving Cyborg of all people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

They've pretty much abandoned the "Unite The Seven" tagline. They've started using "Unite The League" instead. There's also the possibility that since it really only appeared on that first Aquaman poster it might have been about the Seven Seas. That's been way over a year ago though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ImpAtom posted:

There are plenty of movies which introduce fantastical characters quickly. I mean christ Guardians of the Galaxy introduces characters probably more difficult to deal with than Man Who Runs Fans or Guys Who Lives Underwater. These things are not as complex as people make them out to be and there have been films like that before the advent of Everything's A Franchise.

X-O posted:

Anyone that says you absolutely need six movies to setup Justice League is just flat out wrong. Sure it would be nice to have the luxury to do that, and now that we've seen the results it's easy to say things would have gone better otherwise because I'm not sure they could have gone worse considering. But a good writer can introduce as many fantastical characters as you can think of at once and make it work fine.
The hard part isn't to have fantastical characters, it's to have characters from clashing settings and origins. The hard part isn't to put Gandalf next to Legolas and Aragorn, it's to put all three of them next to Voltron fighting Cylons in the Upside Down, and to somehow have it not come across too campy or self-referential, but as a cohesive and legitimate setting in its own right.

The characters in GotG are expressive and larger than life, but honestly not that different from each other; it's got our requisite audience insert protagonist and a bunch of alien side characters to play off each other. More importantly, they're all from the same setting. Two are just flat out "angry green alien guy" and "angry green alien lady." Not saying that GotG didn't do what it needed to do really well, but try throwing Jessica Jones or Matt Murdock into that bunch and see how well that gels.

"You can totally pull this thing off if you just do it well" is a technically true statement that doesn't actually mean anything at the end of the day. At the end of the day, some story concepts are going to be more challenging to pull off than others, and I think y'all seriously overestimate the amount and propensity of films that have managed to do what Marvel did with the Avengers. Heck, depending on who you ask, even the Avengers didn't actually manage to do it all that well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dude's name is Cyborg. His name is his origin.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I assume Justice League will be heavily tied to Cyborgs origin anyway since his current origin is heavily tired to Apokolips technology and the villain of the film are Apokoliptian.

Batman and Wonder Woman will have had their own film. The Flash seems to have the same origin and motivation as his popular TV show, the only character you are really going to have to introduce to audiences carefully that hasn't really been established organically is Aquaman.

Introducing Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg is going to be the point of the films first act anyhow, the "recruitment" phase.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
This trailer feels like it gives away the whole movie and is badly edited on top, but here it is anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiTECkLZ8HM

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Of course it does, it's a Sony trailer. Remember how bad their Ghostbusters trailer was? But that movie turned out pretty... bad actually.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Threep posted:

This trailer feels like it gives away the whole movie and is badly edited on top, but here it is anyway

The Vulture suit looks good as hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a feeling all that Iron Man stuff is the first third of the movie.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

So did that 'Life' movie turn out to actually be a Venom prequel or what?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like Sony is leaning on the whole "Hey, guys! Guys! Guys! We're part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, too! Look, Iron Man! Here's more Iron Man! Look, Captain America! Guess what? More Iron Man!!! Please, Jesus Christ, come see our movie, it's a Marvel movie, you like those, right?" really hard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

None of these trailers have been as bad as the first GotG 2 one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

JordanKai posted:

So did that 'Life' movie turn out to actually be a Venom prequel or what?

Yes.

Amy Adams is Felicia and Topher Grace is reprising his role as Eddie Brock.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I feel like Sony is leaning on the whole "Hey, guys! Guys! Guys! We're part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, too! Look, Iron Man! Here's more Iron Man! Look, Captain America! Guess what? More Iron Man!!! Please, Jesus Christ, come see our movie, it's a Marvel movie, you like those, right?" really hard.

That was a poorly edited mess of a trailer. Also kind of concerned that Keaton/Vulture talked about family and do we really need ANOTHER Spidey movie of the villain having a "he's a bad guy but doing it for good reasons" story ala Sandman in Spidey 3?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troubled that there doesn't seem to be any spidey snapchat nor EDM, things which interest me, an millenial teen.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Threep posted:

Pushing the MCU stuff a bit too hard there.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

zoux posted:

Troubled that there doesn't seem to be any spidey snapchat nor EDM, things which interest me, an millenial teen.

They mentioned YouTube

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dacap posted:

They mentioned YouTube

It would be very buzzworthy and NBD to subscribe to and like the Official Spiderman Youtube channel.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Look at this loving grandpa over here who still listens to EDM.

The kids these days are into Trip-Hop, Noisetronica, and Future Garage.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I only listen to the sound of Rwanda teenagers electrocution random capybaras

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I can already see a lot of people going to claim that Vulture is in fact the good guy in this movie because something something Stark is an evil libertarian capitalist holding down the working class from bringing the revolution and upheaval of this corrupt world.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

I can already see a lot of people going to claim that Vulture is in fact the good guy in this movie because something something Stark is an evil libertarian capitalist holding down the working class from bringing the revolution and upheaval of this corrupt world.

No, they're going to complain that Vulture isn't enough of a full-on "Marxist revolution now!" whackadoo, and therefore a tool of ineffectual Liberalism.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Phylodox posted:

No, they're going to complain that Vulture isn't enough of a full-on "Marxist revolution now!" whackadoo, and therefore a tool of ineffectual Liberalism.
Just like Bane

Oh and I'm sure there will be a lot of car destruction to focus on for some reason

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vulture blows up boat: "Medicare for all sounds great but is an unrealistic policy goal!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Keaton says he will do anything to protect his family, so this movie is clearly saying Spiderman is out to kill families.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Hell, I'll go to bat for it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Stark is an evil libertarian capitalist holding down the working class from bringing the revolution and upheaval of this corrupt world.

That's why Stark tells Peter he wants Peter to be better than him

at killing families for capitalistic gain.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Threep posted:

This trailer feels like it gives away the whole movie

I don't know, it looks like they're giving away all the action of the second act and the broad strokes of the first but otherwise not much else.
I mean I guess there's probably a field trip to DC.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Supposedly there's an entire action sequence near the end that we haven't seen yet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's not really spoilers, but they've said that Tony is only in the first 1/3 of the movie. So, anything with him in it is going to be the first act or very early in the 2nd act.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

They've pretty much abandoned the "Unite The Seven" tagline. They've started using "Unite The League" instead. There's also the possibility that since it really only appeared on that first Aquaman poster it might have been about the Seven Seas. That's been way over a year ago though.

I think that was also when the plan was to shoot JL part 2 back to back with the first. So Probably Superman would show up at end of first and Green Lantern would show up in the second.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Maybe Keaton is actually Batman in disguise and homecoming is actually a DC Universe movie!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Threep posted:

Holy poo poo they are really really riding the Iron Man is in this movie thing. Counting by the amount of scenes shown with Iron Man I would expect the movie to be called Spiderman: Rise of the Iron Man or something along those lines.

Also probably not a good sign that I stopped watching the trailer because it just seemed like they put in every completed scene (with post-production) in there and showed the entire movie in 2 minutes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Keaton says he will do anything to protect his family, so this movie is clearly saying Spiderman is out to kill families.

Peter looks up in the sky and seeing the ghost of Uncle Ben: "Kill them all Peter, kill them all. Just Like I taught you.""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

They should go a bit meta with the MCU come 2018 or whenever by having Tony quit superheroing to become CEO of Disney after Bob Iger quits, then from 2020 onwards you have Bob Iger playing himself as President of the United States in all the subsequent MCU movies and, if Tony ever appears it's exclusively as the boss of Disney.

• Locked thread