Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else notice Drudge is not riddled with red headlines? He's been pretty subdued lately. Perhaps looking to divert attention???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Was reading the New Yorker profile of the Mercers which is old news to people that have been following these threads for awhile, but it's also where I learned that Rebekah Mercer, who has some real pull on this administration, wants her resident quack climate denying scientist to be the new National Science Advisor. This guy

quote:

The first candidate they threw their financial weight behind was Arthur Robinson, a chemist from Oregon who was running for Congress. He was best known in his district for co-founding an organization that is collecting thousands of vials of urine as part of an effort it says will “revolutionize the evaluation of personal chemistry.” Robinson didn’t win, but he got closer than expected, and the Mercers got a taste of what their money could do. ”

Piss all the way down.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Keep fuckin that chicken, guys

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

quote:

the “Making Access Records Available to Lead American Government Openness Act,” or “Mar-a-Lago Act.”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Rex-Goliath posted:

drat dude you should run for office this sounds so easy. i bet you'd be real good at it

keep making excuses for bad politicians, it has worked out so far

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I loving love this training. I always click to chase the guy who steals my iPad.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

you can't make excuses for why Dems didn't pass it last time and also argue why they will pass it this time. pick one

i think you'll find that i can

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

zegermans posted:

why though

Turns out humans aren't rational and the fundamental ideas underpinning the free market are a lie

Who knew

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
JOBS JOBS JOBS

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

indigi posted:

you can't make excuses for why Dems didn't pass it last time and also argue why they will pass it this time. pick one

2008 may as well be Mars it was so different than the political climate today

At this point, any Dem that promises UHC but doesn't follow through will be literally murdered. There's no media cult on the left to spin these things in favor of the establishment like redcaps can just tune into Hannity and be told it's alright

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Remember when obama bailed out the banks and charged the tax payers for it lol

Uhh dude did you forget your history? The banks paid back the bailout money and the government made a profit.

Bonus: America did not die.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Citizen Tayne posted:

For reference, General Electric is valued at around $29b and GM is valued at around $60b

An app for sending dick pictures is considered worth nearly as much as GE

GE isn't worth that though. They're mostly getting by on being an enormous government contractor.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Turns out humans aren't rational and the fundamental ideas underpinning the free market are a lie

Who knew

this post is a violation of the NAP

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

the next tech crash is going to own

it's going to be real loving good.

zegermans posted:

why though

most car makers aren't putting nearly enough into electric vehicle r&d to stay relevant once internal combustion goes out of fashion in big cities, which is going to start happening pretty soon, many big cities are already putting heavy restrictions on what you can or can't drive in the city, in preparation of completely removing them.

tesla, on the other hand, *is* ev r&d, and also isn't korean like LG or sarnsung, because everyone knows americars are better than korean ones.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/emilyaheil/status/846723723273142273

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Darkman Fanpage posted:

JOBS JOBS JOBS

My wife's stepmom gave me a lecture once about how god knows if you don't have a job and you won't get into heaven if you don't work hard.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ThndrShk2k posted:

You sound more obsessed over STE(A)M degrees than Hillary, almost as if it... steams your buns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNkn5fVBmE

lol, Hillary? what

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

GE isn't worth that though. They're mostly getting by on being an enormous government contractor.

GE is huge in the financial services sector, which is what kind of company they are now.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

Dems don't move as a bloc like the Republicans do.

this really isnt as true anymore

8 years where republican primaries could have been replaced by people shouting NO like they were at a hog calling contest have created factions that owe absolutely none of their political allegiance to the republican machine. then the loving fiasco of the republican primary and trump stuffing as many gop fixtures as he could into gimp suits and the party is shattered

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vladimir Putin posted:

Uhh dude did you forget your history? The banks paid back the bailout money and the government made a profit.

Bonus: America did not die.

Lol

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

probably some kind of hitler pep talk about sticking together or some bs

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Anyone else notice Drudge is not riddled with red headlines? He's been pretty subdued lately. Perhaps looking to divert attention???

"There's a big story to break" vs. "must support republicans". Day and night. Can't sleep, can't eat, keep discovering yourself eating cheetos out of the packet while taking a poo poo and have no idea how long you've been there. This is Drudge life right now. Takes its toll.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

ThndrShk2k posted:

You sound more obsessed over STE(A)M degrees than Hillary, almost as if it... steams your buns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNkn5fVBmE

i dont understand simpsonswave

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

doesn't Elon Musk have Eliezer Yudkowsky caged like a house pet somewhere in his cavernous mansion

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Until Ted Kennedy died in August (and he was sick before that). And part of that super majority were noted non-Democrats like Joe Lieberman. So whatever they passed had to be somewhat moderate to take advantage of the super majority.

By the time they actually got around to doing anything (after the stimulus), Ted Kennedy had died, Scott Brown had taken his seat because Martha "I am the worst" Coakley was the worst, and they had lost their "super majority."

as much as i respect howard dean and his 50 state strategy it deffo fostered the presence of more conservative dems in congress and ended up watering down the aca

then again w/o the 50ss it wouldnt have been a democratic majority, so welp

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

indigi posted:

Oh of course they won't pass it this time. I'm just saying it's different than when Republicans voted to repeal Obamacare not having to worry about the consequences, because a public option would actually be good.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seriously did you forget your history? The banks paid back the bailout money and the government made a profit. Taxpayers were made whole on the bailout.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Haha I missed this from last night.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/846543183223963649
Everything is fine even though I'm predicting our healthcare system is collapsing!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

2008 may as well be Mars it was so different than the political climate today

At this point, any Dem that promises UHC but doesn't follow through will be literally murdered. There's no media cult on the left to spin these things in favor of the establishment like redcaps can just tune into Hannity and be told it's alright

this already happened though. after 8 years of Bush and ~4-6 years of Republican legislative dominance (I forget how long they had both houses) Dems were swept into power in both houses and the presidency with an energized base and a strong mandate to get good healthcare legislation done, and they didn't. 2010-2016 was them getting murdered at the state and federal levels. I'll believe they'll do anything different when there's any evidence otherwise

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Washington Post saying it was the WH that wanted to keep Yates from testifying.

(Mattering quotient still zero since they're probably paranoid about holdovers)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

JEB! JEB! JEB!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/846725850129162241

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Truga posted:

it's going to be real loving good.

most car makers aren't putting nearly enough into electric vehicle r&d to stay relevant once internal combustion goes out of fashion in big cities, which is going to start happening pretty soon, many big cities are already putting heavy restrictions on what you can or can't drive in the city, in preparation of completely removing them.

tesla, on the other hand, *is* ev r&d, and also isn't korean like LG or sarnsung, because everyone knows americars are better than korean ones.

cities aren't going to ban internal combustion engines. that's madness, there are poor people who drive in cities too and we've all got non-electric vehicles or just vehicles for short, as the vast majority of people who own a vehicle own one that uses combustion.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mormonpartyboat posted:

this really isnt as true anymore

8 years where republican primaries could have been replaced by people shouting NO like they were at a hog calling contest have created factions that owe absolutely none of their political allegiance to the republican machine. then the loving fiasco of the republican primary and trump stuffing as many gop fixtures as he could into gimp suits and the party is shattered

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but a key difference I'm seeing is that the movement here is to get the Dems themselves to adopt UHC and $15 whereas with the Tea Party it was to fight Obamacare etc, and the GOP just happily took in that tumor and called it its own

I wish more town halls of Dems getting saucy questions and booed would get played because they ARE happening. My own Senator is eating poo poo not for supporting Gorsuch, but for not opposing him enough

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

TheBigAristotle posted:

drat, Mass Effect Andromeda is ugly af

would it surprise you if i said that is actually one of the better facial animations in ME:A?

Serf
May 5, 2011

indigi posted:

this already happened though. after 8 years of Bush and ~4-6 years of Republican legislative dominance (I forget how long they had both houses) Dems were swept into power in both houses and the presidency with an energized base and a strong mandate to get good healthcare legislation done, and they didn't. 2010-2016 was them getting murdered at the state and federal levels. I'll believe they'll do anything different when there's any evidence otherwise

the simple fact of the matter is that no one wants to give americans good health care. any promises to do so by politicians or capitalists are just lies to placate the populace

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

indigi posted:

well what's your plan? support only a third party and end up with loonies forever like in Maine?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Citizen Tayne posted:

GE is huge in the financial services sector, which is what kind of company they are now.

Fair enough, last I remember they were loving with the smart grid rollout in Europe because they were trying to convince the EU that it was a bad idea.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol how do they not realize how loving bad this looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Lol how do they not realize how loving bad this looks

lmao

• Locked thread