Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
After playing through Yakuza 2,3,and 4 on normal, I switched the difficulty of 5 to easy. Best decision I made. The combat system for many boss fights just don't really feel great at all. Bosses will have long rear end life bars, block 80 percent of your hits and stunlock you at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

After playing through Yakuza 2,3,and 4 on normal, I switched the difficulty of 5 to easy. Best decision I made. The combat system for many boss fights just don't really feel great at all. Bosses will have long rear end life bars, block 80 percent of your hits and stunlock you at times.
Yeah, I have always felt boss fights were the weakest part of the series, since they are based on you avoiding stunlock while they have super armor 95% of the time. 6 fixes that to a large degree though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

blackguy32 posted:

This was a good decision.
If you aren't having fun in Yakuza combat something has gone terribly terribly wrong. If you aren't destroying 'menacing man's with sweet combos and motorcycles I don't know why you are playing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Playing Yakuza games on harder difficulties is basically something you only do for completion's sake after you've already beat it hard enough to unlock the Golden Gun and replay the entire game gunning down everyone. Then of course Yakuza 0 took out NG+ carryover of the Golden Gun so you have to do it legit (until you unlock Zap Guns and at that point it's just paying to repair Zap Guns).

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

RichterIX posted:

This makes it the same per month as the "3 months free" deal Sony is offering in case anyone would rather buy from Amazon than try to use their credit card on the PSN

Redeeming a 1 year code from Amazon (presumably from any source of PS 1 year code) also triggers the 3 months free deal. Although that was last week before Amazon put it on sale so maybe Sony remembered to not let these 'discounts' stack.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Toraen posted:

Redeeming a 1 year code from Amazon (presumably from any source of PS 1 year code) also triggers the 3 months free deal. Although that was last week before Amazon put it on sale so maybe Sony remembered to not let these 'discounts' stack.

Oh poo poo, that's cool. I figured they wouldn't be dumb enough to allow that but Sony

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fix posted:

Where do you even get that thing?

Helping the band in the one of the "parks" as Kiryu

Whoever added that gem must have been a masochist at Sega.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You only get it if you get a question wrong. I apparently did a perfect run on the band quest and got some other item.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ordered a PS4 pro from Amazon Warehouse? Apparently it's "Less than 10%" cosmetic damage for $345. Wondering if I'm better off just waiting for a sale for a new one.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Drunk Badger posted:

Has anyone ordered a PS4 pro from Amazon Warehouse? Apparently it's "Less than 10%" cosmetic damage for $345. Wondering if I'm better off just waiting for a sale for a new one.

Most of the time warehouse deals have tiny scratches or were never taken out of the packaging. Buy it, if you don't like it, you can send it back with no questions asked. I bought a 50" TV, a fridge, a 3ds xl and many other things from warehouse deals with no issues

Most of the things I got never left the packaging, which can be slightly damaged or hosed up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Toraen posted:

Anyone know if this still works? I have an unused annual code from Amazon

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Any talk of the Destiny 2 teaser trailer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ4i0AT8c-M

Looks like Cabal as main antagonist (as was predicted). Tower destroyed.

But if Cayde is still around, that means the one rumor that it would be completely different cast and no cross over with original Destiny is wrong.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
In Canada, I bought a 1 year code from best buy for $49 cdn. It says that when it expires, it will automatically debit my account 49 for another year. Does this mean I won't have to find another cheapo year? IAAL and the fine print seems to indicate as much but tbf I haven't read the EULA or anything.

tldr: does an automatically renewed membership renew your original rate or does it update to reflect the new pricing?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You only get it if you get a question wrong. I apparently did a perfect run on the band quest and got some other item.

Same. What does it even do?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Fix posted:

Same. What does it even do?

Never got it myself but I assume it gives you a decent stat increase while also enraging all enemies and making their ai as aggressive as possible.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ladies and Gentlemen... if you thought that buying Snake Pass might rekindle that "chill-but-challenging" old school 3d Platformer Rare-era nostalgia... I am here to report you thought right!

Literally the 2 worst things I can say about this game are:

It stutters on RARE occasion (and it may even not be stuttering on my PRO, but instead the camera hitting obstructions.

The camera can sometimes be your worst enemy. (not often.)

Your hand will cramp up if you get all invested in it.

Ok that was 3 things.

By the 3rd level, you should have a solid mastery of the controls and it's glorious.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So, I finished part 1 of the Phantom pain and now it seems that the game just wants me to grind old missions on extreme difficulty in order to unlock more plot? I know really I should be relishing the challenge, but to be honest I can only play for a few hours a week and I haven't got the time, skill or inclination to perfect stealth my way through missions again.

I've had an absolute blast with the game but it's just stopped being fun. That being said though I feel invested enough in the stupid plot that I want to know what happens. Does this grindy stuff end, or should I just catch the rest of everything on YouTube?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The Perfect Element posted:

So, I finished part 1 of the Phantom pain and now it seems that the game just wants me to grind old missions on extreme difficulty in order to unlock more plot? I know really I should be relishing the challenge, but to be honest I can only play for a few hours a week and I haven't got the time, skill or inclination to perfect stealth my way through missions again.

I've had an absolute blast with the game but it's just stopped being fun. That being said though I feel invested enough in the stupid plot that I want to know what happens. Does this grindy stuff end, or should I just catch the rest of everything on YouTube?

No? You cant just keep playing through? Do you feel underpowered or what? (Theres not much plot left fyi) part 2 is basically a epilogue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You do not have to do any of the repeat missions to progress the plot. Make sure you listen to any specially marked tapes, because that gates progress. You do have to do missions to move time forward but those can include any side ops you haven't done yet

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I think there are several non-repeat missions in chapter 2 that you have to complete, but you can safely skip the extreme and subsistence missions.

For a bit of fun, fly the helicopter into the first subsistence mission (the radio towers one) and use the helicopter's machine gun to complete the mission without ever deboarding. Guaranteed S-rank.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ryoga posted:

Never got it myself but I assume it gives you a decent stat increase while also enraging all enemies and making their ai as aggressive as possible.

It does.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Perfect Element posted:

A commonly voiced sentiment is that the story is lovely and unfinished, thus the Phantom Pain felt by the player. Turns out Hideo's alternate reality experience and studio fallout drama is more interesting than the game itself!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Part 2 is only probably 8 hours of content maybe less and you only have to do some of it. There isn't really any grinding. It is a loving mess though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It has some of the best individual moments and vignettes of the entire game. They don't cohere into anything as a whole unless you really care about tying up lore loose ends, and even then it's kind of a wash

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the epilogue stuff is very disjointed and there's some dropped plot threads that are never addressed. you can tell there were problems with the development in that section of the game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Part 2 is only probably 8 hours of content maybe less and you only have to do some of it. There isn't really any grinding. It is a loving mess though.

No way is Part 2 anywhere close to 8 hours. I finished it in like 3-4 hours max.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it might be even less it's been a while.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are only like 3-4 new segments in the second part, so if you're just counting new content then yea it's pretty short. a lot longer if you include the mission retreads tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Phantom Pain is still mechanically the best game I've ever played. It's lightyears ahead of MGS 4 and pretty much every other game I've played.

They must have play tested it so much, it feels just so so good to play. Controls and movement are so fluid. Really really excellent stuff.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Phantom Pain is still mechanically the best game I've ever played. It's lightyears ahead of MGS 4 and pretty much every other game I've played.

They must have play tested it so much, it feels just so so good to play. Controls and movement are so fluid. Really really excellent stuff.

Yeah. I just wish the content was a bit more fleshed out. It does feel crazy good to control though, nothing else comes close in any genre.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Any recommendations for good, comprehensive LP's of Bloodborne? I stumbled through it as my first Souls game and thought it would be nice to watch someone who knows what they are doing for comparison.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
If you don't mind watching a streamer instead of an actual LP I would recommend Lobosjr's slow run of the game. That's probably as comprehensive as it gets, but it's not a traditional LP. He's very good at the game though, so that helps.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

el oso posted:

Any recommendations for good, comprehensive LP's of Bloodborne? I stumbled through it as my first Souls game and thought it would be nice to watch someone who knows what they are doing for comparison.

ENB's very first LP of it was good, if you like his style. He wrote the official guide, so it's a knowledgeable play through. Also he recorded it immediately after playing the game for the guide for months, so he makes quick work of pretty much everything.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Seconding ENB's (EpicNameBro) LPs. Very informative, interesting, and entertaining.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

ENB's very first LP of it was good, if you like his style. He wrote the official guide, so it's a knowledgeable play through. Also he recorded it immediately after playing the game for the guide for months, so he makes quick work of pretty much everything.

Wait he wrote the guide? His LP was amazing and so informative.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I started playing Titanfall 2.

It's good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

yea he worked on the official guide for bloodborne. he talks about it in some videos

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Checking in here to get some opinions on Destiny, since I have a giftcard from a Dutch store that now has a sale on Destiny: The Collection. I played vanilla and the first free DLC a LOT. Since it's on sale I can see getting my money's worth out of it since I like playing alone as well as strikes with pubbies and doing the old LFG pubby raid if possible. The new content (for me) should be nice to play through as well as getting some PvP on which used to be fun. However, all the LOVE/HATE in the past two pages in this thread makes me hesitate/even more exited. What's up SA, Destiny: The Collection yay or nay?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yeah, he was one of the writers. He focused on boss strats for the main game and narrative for the DLC, I think. I might have that backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sioux posted:

Checking in here to get some opinions on Destiny, since I have a giftcard from a Dutch store that now has a sale on Destiny: The Collection. I played vanilla and the first free DLC a LOT. Since it's on sale I can see getting my money's worth out of it since I like playing alone as well as strikes with pubbies and doing the old LFG pubby raid if possible. The new content (for me) should be nice to play through as well as getting some PvP on which used to be fun. However, all the LOVE/HATE in the past two pages in this thread makes me hesitate/even more exited. What's up SA, Destiny: The Collection yay or nay?
Free DLC? Hah! You must be thinking of something else, there was no free DLC until way past vanilla.

Anyway, I'd say definitely yay. I played it solidly for the first year, a good chunk f the second, and did everything in the third and I'd say the way you've described yourself with Destiny that there's a lot to love there.

Don't know if you're aware but yesterday they put out a big update that now brings all four raids up to endgame level so there's now a poo poo ton of gear to get and stuff to do.

You'll get your money's worth.