Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Weeping Wound posted:

I would have been disappointed if I had to fight those jerks Gwyn and Manus again. Instead, I'm looking forward to fighting the true spirit of Dark Souls, GUTS

It ends with you talking to that creepy evil heart source of it all,but it's voiced by Miyazaki... And then you, the player, gets raped by Griffith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is the path above the swamp past Zoey progress or should I be going some other way? Cause it strikes me as ball torture

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah. Fight some guy and, uh, commission a painting if you can be bothered? That's really it?

I mean, I guess it's supposed to be a signal of a true break of the cycle? Basically the world is done, but a new one will be made, and it will be a start from scratch? Also, in your name if you asked. Looking forward to Fromsoft's next game, "Fred"

Also, I thought i heard the DLCs were supposed to stand on their own / stand separately. I don't mind the through-line of the two DLCs - I'm pretty sure those "take the plunge" messages have Gael phantoms attached to them, like he's guiding you along. it's sort of a neat journey when you think about it, but The Ringed City itself feels like it stands alone with how much gets thrown at you in it. Acquiring the pigment feels almost like a side quest. With all the hints of lords and the abyss, I was really expecting a bit bigger of a culmination. Gael was a good fight, but he almost feels like he should have been a side/secret boss that's sort of a treat for people who do both DLC.

skasion posted:

Is the path above the swamp past [spoiler]Zoey progress or should I be going some other way? Cause it strikes me as ball torture

Progress. After Zoey I don't remember there being a whole lot, you run along a branch, drop, drop again, and then you're at a bonfire. There's parts of the branch path that provide cover from the angel, IIRC. If you have two angels up, you missed an opportunity to kill one. There should be a way to get onto the rooftops in the area leading up to Zoey with all the branches that kind of spiral upwards.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't even care what the real ending is, this is enough to satisfy me

:siren: Big ol' spoiler! :siren:

...and a fine dark soul to you too, you glorious interdimensional jerk you! :allears:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

The problem with large bosses is hitboxes and large arena's that might seem good in practice but, instead turn boss fights into 5k marathons where you play run for 30 seconds just to hit the weak spot once.

That and FromSoftware's continued, bizarre unawareness of how poo poo their own camera is in these kinds of fights. Either you make the camera dynamic and zoom it out so that you can get a clear view of giant enemies during those fights, or you don't have giant enemy fights; you can't have it both ways.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I don't even care what the real ending is, this is enough to satisfy me

:siren: Big ol' spoiler! :siren:

...and a fine dark soul to you too, you glorious interdimensional jerk you! :allears:

You said we'd be forever friends! :argh:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Well the second boss did it. Time for cheat engine and listening to the dialog until the game ends.

Azuth0667 posted:

The problem with large bosses is hitboxes and large arena's that might seem good in practice but, instead turn boss fights into 5k marathons where you play run for 30 seconds just to hit the weak spot once.

Spending 30 seconds between hits and having your ability to stay awake be the deciding factor sounds pretty Dark Souls 2 to me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, this first boss is a total blast

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

That and FromSoftware's continued, bizarre unawareness of how poo poo their own camera is in these kinds of fights. Either you make the camera dynamic and zoom it out so that you can get a clear view of giant enemies during those fights, or you don't have giant enemy fights; you can't have it both ways.

Yeah..
I thought I was gonna enjoy the dragon fight, the arena and everything made me think of Sinh (which I think was a great fight)... but instead it's a complete clusterfuck. The camera is extremely bad and the lock-on is worse than useless since it'll freak the hell out when he does his swipes, even flipping your character around so you get hit despite having a shield up. So you can't see poo poo, which is bad enough on its own.... but then you also have to hit his head to do any real damage. It would've been a much more fun fight if he took damage everywhere, but as it is right now it's extremely unfun and feels like the camera is the real boss :smith:

Oxyclean posted:

You said we'd be forever friends! :argh:

You're right, I did you wrong. To make up for it, I've found some marvelous treasure for you! It's right down there, in that pit over there. Go on, have a look!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

At least there's one happy ending to be found in this DLC :unsmith:

On that note, it looks like you fed all of the bad tomes to Irina because it looks like Eygon of Carim completely hollowed out looking for the Dark Soul for her. Oops. :smith:

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mailer posted:

Spending 30 seconds between hits and having your ability to stay awake be the deciding factor sounds pretty Dark Souls 2 to me.

Dark Souls 2 didn't feature bosses performing seven-hit combos that require you to pound the dodge roll key until your thumb implodes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Weeping Wound posted:

At least there's one happy ending to be found in this DLC :unsmith:

is it me getting lots of cool fashion and weapons to do gimmick runs with

because I'm pretty happy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
how far in is the mega sweet greatsword? i want to play as much of the dlc with it as i can

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

how far in is the mega sweet greatsword? i want to play as much of the dlc with it as i can

Do you mean the one with the flip animation on it? It's transposed from the final DLC boss' soul.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How cool is Old Moonlight? Going through the wiki looking at the new stuff.

Also the descriptions for the ruin set, ringed knight set, and a couple others are pretty interesting. The ringed knight one seems to imply the Darksign isn't natural. Maybe Kaath was right?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

skasion posted:

Is the path above the swamp past Zoey progress or should I be going some other way? Cause it strikes me as ball torture

You do not have to go that way at all to progress; just go straight forward from the bonfire, you never NEED to jump down into the swamp.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I enjoy that for once your character is pretty chill about being seized by Batwing Demon Transport Services International

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

You do not have to go that way at all to progress; just go straight forward from the bonfire, you never NEED to jump down into the swamp.

How do you get to the second bonfire without going through the swamp? You've got me curious so I went back to run around up there but there's the big gap in the sideways tower that leads to the bonfire and I don't see how else you can cross it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What if Patches was the Dark Soul all along??

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Sell me on the second portion of the DLC because my will to continue to dark souls is at an all time low after running through the Dreg Heap of poo poo that was too Cheap for the Base Game and being rewarded with a boss fight consisting of another loving pack of gargoyles and their bigger, phase 2, brother, a gargoyle that takes 50% less damage.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh hey the dlc is out. Time to reinstall

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

How do you get to the second bonfire without going through the swamp? You've got me curious so I went back to run around up there but there's the big gap in the sideways tower that leads to the bonfire and I don't see how else you can cross it.

If you walk past the swamp entrance, there's a root you can jump to near the hut by the cliff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Sell me on the second portion of the DLC because my will to continue to dark souls is at an all time low after running through the Dreg Heap of poo poo that was too Cheap for the Base Game and being rewarded with a boss fight consisting of another loving pack of gargoyles and their bigger, phase 2, brother, a gargoyle that takes 50% less damage.

The ringed city is pretty and a much cooler area. It's still quite tough and the first section is kind of annoying.

Also, protip regarding those big headless dudes, applies more to the Ringed City area then the Dreg Heap: plunge attack them. It's either an auto-kill or a bonkers amount of damage.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mailer posted:

Well the second boss did it. Time for cheat engine and listening to the dialog until the game ends.

E: Forgot spoilers.

Boss stuff:

Yeah it is its basically a mashup of Black Dragon Kalameet which was an okay boss from DS1 and Ancient Dragon which was the shittiest boss of all the souls games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Elman posted:

If you walk past the swamp entrance, there's a root you can jump to near the hut by the cliff.

Well poo poo! That is a very nice sequence break that would make this area a lot easier. Cool!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Also, protip regarding those big headless dudes, applies more to the Ringed City area then the Dreg Heap: plunge attack them. It's either an auto-kill or a bonkers amount of damage.

They're also really weak to a plain ol' bow, their "head" is actually enormous and you'll hit it most of the time if you're locked on and at equal or higher elevation.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vermain posted:

Do you mean the one with the flip animation on it? It's transposed from the final DLC boss' soul.

damnit all. i guess i can use it for invasions

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

:zenpop:

This changes everything!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Jesus Christ this is insanity and my process so far can only be described so far as "run like an insane person in hopes that I will accidentally take the correct path"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Been playing too much Zelda, when do I get the paraglider?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm loving this last boss but I'm so bad at the "after-image" type effect on attacks like on the Abyss Watchers. It's really cool that it's his cape, but it doesn't make it any easier to dodge :arghfist::saddowns:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So, just making sure I've done everything noteworthy in the DLC. I've given the pigment to the painter, killed the dragon, killed the dragon armor, and been kicked off a ledge by patches. Anything else aside from item hunting left to do?

I liked the actual ringed city's environment and its level design. The final boss was pretty good. The boss arena was especially neat. Dreg Heap was a bit dull and they certainly overused the cover mechanic. That was cool once in Old Yarnham. Overall, it's no Old Hunters, but it was a lot better than Ashes.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

The ringed city is pretty and a much cooler area. It's still quite tough and the first section is kind of annoying.

"this garbage cheapshot area filled with creatively bankrupt meatwalls is followed up by BIGGER meatwalls" is the exact opposite of a recommendation. I'm going to cut my losses and stop trying to hack through an effective 30.000 hp of gargoyle only to have it fly off camera and oneshot me from there.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Okay some :siren: PROBABLY SPOILERY LORE SPECULATION AND QUESTIONS :siren: poo poo follows. Finish the DLC first.

Time poo poo: What the gently caress is up with the timeline in DS3? People have speculated our Firelink is in a different time from Lothric due to the Untended Graves and Gundyr and such (is it the past or the future?), but the Kiln and Ringed City appear to definitely be in the future even beyond that as Lothric Castle is part of the Dreg Heap and the Dragonslayer Armour's armor explicitly states it has returned to fight you again and Patches has hollowed out and still exists. There's another thing: If you look at the ashes of the old pilgrim lady she's clearly supposed to be the shrine handmaiden from Untended Graves (or possibly Emma?) as the hand is wearing a Priestess's Ring and says she used to be a nursemaid to royalty. So is that Emma and the Emma who dies in the game is in some other timeline where we killed Lothric rather than him just letting the Fire fade? And then what's up with "waking" Filianore and the Gael area that's just an ash wasteland? It's obvious that even the Ringed City has been destroyed, so are we way in the future again? But the Darksign Eclipse is gone, and there seems to be a dawn (or dusk?) over the distant castle. Said castle is clearly Lothric, so... what? Lothric was absorbed into the Dreg Heap, what's going on? Did we jump back into the game timeline and the High Wall is the only thing in the world not yet buried under ash? What even happened with Filianore?

Crown Symbolism, Manus, the Abyss, & the Darksign: There's a weird undercurrent running through the DLC about crowns and kings that seems to call back to DS2's DLC. Specifically there's the statue of Gwyn crowning the Pygmy (who is clearly a hollow, a human's true form), and the Pygmy Kings that Gael kills for the Dark Soul are likewise crowned. Gwyn is known to crown men, as he did with the Four Kings, so this seems like a way of controlling them as power that derives from Gwyn ultimately enslaves men to the gods' will. The Ringed Knight set refers to a "seal of fire" being placed on Abyss-made things and it resembles the Darksign, which is also represented in the sun itself. It also claims things of the abyss "betray a smidgen of life" and this caused the gods to fear, and one of the locust guys that tells you to fear not the dark likewise mentions that there are things the Abyss is supposedly incapable of birthing but perhaps has anyway. Aldia also talked about life being a lie of the gods forced upon man, which would suggest the traditional human appearance and life are the result of the "seal of fire;" yet the Abyss "betrays a smidgen of life," so what does that mean for Aldia's theories? Manus's whole deal was what happened when Humanity ran wild in people and began mutating and changing them; Manus is also the Father of the Abyss, not its king, and his daughters are drawn to kings. There's also the Deep which seems to be the Abyss or related to it. Anyway the only time being crowned seems to be seen as a positive thing is when you become a "True Monarch" in DS2 by seizing the crowns for yourself and not because they're granted to you by the cycle set up by the gods. Yuria also refers to the "true monarch" in her dialogue emploring you to become Lord of Hollows, which once again involves wresting the power of the gods' cycle for yourself. Just a lot of threads relating to all of this that are hard to piece together because they'll never just loving say anything.

skasion posted:

I enjoy that for once your character is pretty chill about being seized by Batwing Demon Transport Services International
At this point what could you possibly be surprised by? This is just another means of transport.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

gently caress this optional dragon boss. Any suggestions for his bullshit?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Deckit posted:

As ever, Carthus Rouge. Even nerfed, bleeding does something if you can get enough hits in. His hitboxes are garbage bullshit so I'd aim for the feet just to do any damage at all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deckit posted:

Don't summon (only makes him worse), aim for the head, don't lock on, get good at figuring out where his head is off-camera because that's the only way you'll hit it and do any damage. Basically, the camera is the real boss :smith:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

"this garbage cheapshot area filled with creatively bankrupt meatwalls is followed up by BIGGER meatwalls" is the exact opposite of a recommendation. I'm going to cut my losses and stop trying to hack through an effective 30.000 hp of gargoyle only to have it fly off camera and oneshot me from there.

:shrug: The big hollow head dudes arent the only enemy around. They have that glaring weakness that's easy to exploit, and it's pretty easy to just run from them. The Ringed City area has a fair variety of enemies, I'm was also just warning you the first section is a cover area like the angels, after that it's better. It's still hard, but this is fuckin' Dark Souls. I mean, I'm giant babby who gets mad at video games, and I found the difficulty of the DLC manageable. As a point of comparison it didn't feel it nearly as frustrating or cheap as the DS2 dlc, but maybe I've just gotten better / was going at it with a better mindset.

Your Computer posted:

Don't summon (only makes him worse), aim for the head, don't lock on, get good at figuring out where his head is off-camera because that's the only way you'll hit it and do any damage. Basically, the camera is the real boss :smith:

I found the NPC summon kinda helped? But with an UGS it's not too hard to get hits on his head, but there's definitely frustrations with his hitboxes and movement.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013
My toon is on NG+6 and I need some help beating Sister Friede to get to the DLC. I'd greatly appreciate it!

SL: 125
PSN: LIGONATOR7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So how do you get to the higher-up area in the Ringed City proper with a piece of loot you can spot from around door-lady, down gently caress-off giant boulevard? Climbing up to the bridges from the other side (up the tall ladder in the bog that brings you to talky dude and Big loving Hammer dude's tower) I can see there's some kinda ladder going down to a bridge and then you can run over to some larger area with the item, but I searched the whole loving place and the bog side too multiple times without finding any way there, and it's the only thing I haven't figured out in my backtracking adventures, even despite starting from the previous bonfire and trying to diligently hit every wall looking for a secret one, down to the next bonfire in the bog. Well, I also haven't found the dragonfight but that's because I did all my searching before knocking him off his bridge and I haven't looked for him yet. It doesn't help that this area is filled with Ringed Knights and aforementioned gently caress-off giants that aren't huge threats but are still annoying to deal with, hindering combing of the area. I was thinking there was probably a different entrance from another area but trying to figure out the geometry of the levels, it looked like the area you come from (with the first Judicator) is on the wrong side, and so is the bog. I thought there'd be a way from the building after bridge-dragon maybe but I looked through it without finding any routes there either (nice try with that triple-illusory wall though, From). I'm way madder about this than I am about any bossfights in DS history! At least I found a bunch of other secret stuff/stuff I missed in my backtracking other than this.

E: As for thoughts on it, I like the first and third bosses, and the second has a cool gimmick even if I didn't find it very fun, so before seeing the dragon I liked the bossfights. I thought the angels were lame but whatever, and the other enemies were pretty fun. I loved the Ringed City's looks and some parts of the first area's aesthetics, not a fan of the bog part towards the end though. I thought the levels, unless I missed a lot of poo poo which I don't think I did, were a bit overly simple and straightforward progression-wise, even said bog with the second Judicator wasn't proper open and huge like, say, Farron Keep - you basically could just circle around the side and you got everything. And every other area was incredibly route-a - some had a lot of hidden nooks and crannies sure, but there were basically no alternate paths or longer detours or the like, just a room or two and then you dropped back on the main path. It actually really stood out to me and I thought AoA did a lot better on that. The DLC also seemed really small to me, I had expected it to feel meaningfully bigger than AoA but both by time spent and just plotting the route I went in my head it seems pretty much the same as AoA to me. Again, barring some huge missed area(s) on my part. Especially disappointing that there's basically nothing between the second and final bosses.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 28, 2017