Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

the trump tutelage posted:

You can't compare the two.

no, you really can't

the 9/11 aumf is plainly worded to give the president unlimited and indefinite military power against anyone the president unilaterally deems to fall under the umbrella of it

the iraq war aumf was literally unnecessary to go to war in iraq (from a domestic standpoint, at least) because of how broad the 9/11 aumf was. the iraq aumf was more part of a larger political casus belli strategy to get the un to join in. that's why it's so much larger and has so much language tying itself to the un. the democratic hawks were interested in saber rattling and possible invasion to enforce un resolutions that nominally authorized military action, and saw bringing the un in as a mitigating factor for us military adventurism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If Hillary had actually evolved her views into being more anti-interventionist in the ensuing 14 years that would be one thing but it doesn't seem like her philosophy has really changed, she just obviously had to disavow the Iraq vote because it's politically toxic.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
its also important to remember that most of what made iraq such an unbelievable clusterfuck was the way it was carried out - de-ba'athification was more destabilizing than the invasion itself

if there was a competent administration that went in rather than the pnac hegemons, i imagine it could have been wholly possible to force regime change, scope out the MOUNTAINS OF WMDS THAT WERE TOTALLY THERE, and gtfo within a year

like nearly everything else, democrats were undermined by their naivete and belief in the fundamental good of humans' intentions

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

no, you really can't

the 9/11 aumf is plainly worded to give the president unlimited and indefinite military power against anyone the president unilaterally deems to fall under the umbrella of it

the iraq war aumf was literally unnecessary to go to war in iraq (from a domestic standpoint, at least) because of how broad the 9/11 aumf was. the iraq aumf was more part of a larger political casus belli strategy to get the un to join in. that's why it's so much larger and has so much language tying itself to the un. the democratic hawks were interested in saber rattling and possible invasion to enforce un resolutions that nominally authorized military action, and saw bringing the un in as a mitigating factor for us military adventurism

listen bub if what you're saying is that america is a manifestation of lucifer on earth then you won't hear an argument from me

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

listen bub if what you're saying is that america is a manifestation of lucifer on earth then you won't hear an argument from me

hail satan

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Soiled Meat

MaxxBot posted:

If Hillary had actually evolved her views into being more anti-interventionist in the ensuing 14 years that would be one thing but it doesn't seem like her philosophy has really changed, she just obviously had to disavow the Iraq vote because it's politically toxic.

Additionally she voted for the war at least in part because Bush bribed her with relief money for NY, which is also a disqualifying trait, imho, either she displayed an incredibly naivete by interpreting Bush's courting of her as show of good will, or showed a callous disregard for the consequences of tit for tat politics as well as a terrible lack of foresight. Whichever interpretation you pick, it's bad.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Mar 28, 2017

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Bush didn't trick Hillary into anything. She lusted to rain down death on the saracens just as much as anyone else

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The 9/11 AUMF was obviously too expansive but the immediate reason was Afghanistan really did need a military response for actually helping to make the attack on America happen. People treat folks who talk about how dumb Iraq was like we are pacifists. You don't have to be a pacifist to think attacking a country that didn't attack us to find imaginary WMD is insane.

It should have been repealed and replaced in 2008 once it became clear it was being used as a justification for any military action anywhere, though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

rudatron posted:

They don't have to be knowingly applying pomo to say that pomo has had this effect. Pulling a special pleading of "well Tumblr kids aren't really practising post modernism because they're not academics" is asinine - they're taking the post modernism to its absurd conclusion. The fact that they end up with absurd conclusions isn't a condemnation of them as individuals, is an indictment of post modernism itself. They, through their stupidity, are demonstrating the stupidity inherent in post modernism, that learned academics won't expose

Because said academics are usually normal people with ideas of 'common sense', ie, the academics are smart enough to be able to ignore the glaring flaws of post modernism, and just selectively apply it when it's useful to them.

The Tumblr kids, lacking that external restraint, apply it everywhere - they are the true 'post modernists', not the academics

In other words, to do anything of substance, you have to ditch post modernism as soon as possible - which of course the academics do, but subtly, without anyone noticing

I like post modernist fiction :(

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The 9/11 AUMF was obviously too expansive but

lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Has anyone ever held Paul Bremer and those guys to account for Iraq? Disbanding the military and firing most of the government is beyond the pale.

Why the gently caress were those guys concerned about lowing taxes and privatizing state industries in Iraq?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Frosted Flake posted:

Has anyone ever held Paul Bremer and those guys to account for Iraq? Disbanding the military and firing most of the government is beyond the pale.

Why the gently caress were those guys concerned about lowing taxes and privatizing state industries in Iraq?

Paul bremer basically created Isis lmeb

Think he ever brings that up at parties

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/LinaArabii/status/846773225245872129

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

They interviewed Colin Powell about that guy on a NatGeo/Fox News special a while back.

The look of sheer disgust on his face talking about that man sums up how much he hosed things. Even Fox New doesn't bother to even sugar coat it. Think about that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/846740315721678853

sighs

No it's not.

Bill has said PLENTY of racist poo poo on his program before. Bill has said plenty of stupid poo poo on his program before. These are things that we should be going after him for.

Making fun of someone's hair? Jesus christ. Our side has truly gone loving stupid.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He apologized for saying it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah this one was much, much worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaHrGwlWvk

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhCMFKT8DR0

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bingo.

Also Marc Lamont Hill seems like an awesome guy, and deserves better than that sort of insult. (Hell he deserves better than having to appear on O'Reilly's show...)

Am I incorrect in finding Maxine Waters kinda crazy and not in the good way? (Ie: "Nancy Pelosi or Rick Santorum" level crazy. )

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T76IPVdkDZ4&feature=share

lol. basicaly the end result of super woke bullshit.

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/846740315721678853

sighs

No it's not.

Bill has said PLENTY of racist poo poo on his program before. Bill has said plenty of stupid poo poo on his program before. These are things that we should be going after him for.

Making fun of someone's hair? Jesus christ. Our side has truly gone loving stupid.

this. its a dickish thing to say(though far from the worse poo poo that gently caress ever said) but its not racism.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
isnt quibbling over how whatever minute thing is or isnt racist exactly what ughhhhhh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

passionate dongs posted:

isnt quibbling over how whatever minute thing is or isnt racist exactly what ughhhhhh

no its never enough. you can never been woke enough. i mean he is right that people do it for "pride" but misses the point where thats all people like him do.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/846595720324902912

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/846598111631818752

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/846603717260468224

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/846817249897824256

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/846546004526620672

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/846547700761866242

now its time to e-beg.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/846846456862511104

Go vote Republican, Bob.

They share your view on the poors.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
sorry i should have finished: isnt keeping score and being unhappy that people dont have your shame calibrations, what this thread seems to do a lot of, basically uh... what "wokes" do

like, are we supposed to feel smug about the woke tweeter who feels smug about their own self awarenes

has this thread been the wokest all along?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no its never enough. you can never been woke enough. i mean he is right that people do it for "pride" but misses the point where thats all people like him do.
https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/846817249897824256

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/846846456862511104

Go vote Republican, Bob.

They share your view on the poors.

bob is hosed up idiot rear end in a top hat who still views things from they days in high school. everyone against him are the "brutish jock right wing FPS player" i am lefty as gently caress and a cripple nerd and i like FPS games, even cod. also bob has type 2 diabities and thinks halo promotes racism.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gender_Knot:_Unraveling_our_Patriarchal_Legacy

here is the book. outside of jon and others like him i havent heard much about the guy.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Mar 29, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

bob is hosed up idiot rear end in a top hat who still views things from they days in high school. everyone against him are the "brutish jock right wing FPS player" i am lefty as gently caress and a cripple nerd and i like FPS games, even cod. also bob has type 2 diabities and thinks halo promotes racism.

His views on economics and people being in poverty seem to echo the social darwinist views I saw via Fox News from guys like Varney, Cavuto.

Which makes little to no sense because he doesn't look like the type of guy who'd run in those circles with that sort of view.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuzzySkinner posted:

His views on economics and people being in poverty seem to echo the social darwinist views I saw via Fox News from guys like Varney, Cavuto.

Which makes little to no sense because he doesn't look like the type of guy who'd run in those circles with that sort of view.

He doesn't look the type of guy who'd run

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

the dude desperately wants to be seen as awesome and cool and elite. he is pretends to be an academic and a intellectual and he lords it over all the "brutes" and the dumb. he always wants to be the smartest, most politically savvy person in the room.

honestly, i think his brain broke around the time ebert said he didnt consider games art. so now assholes like him want to force "culture" and "values" and "progressive ideals against the jock horde" down peoples throats games will be art and bob and friends won't be failures who devoted their lives to making up bullshit culture critiques of video games.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
more like bob chimpman

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah I don't get why he's not a libertarian :confused:

Also why is it that the people most likely to call the poor worthless lazy scum-sucking losers are often incapable of taking basic steps to prevent their own morbidity and mortality?

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Mar 29, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I've ran into republicans that sound more like democrats the more you push them.

I've ran into democrats who sound indeed like they'd be rockefeller republicans in the 60's or so.

Guy Goodbody posted:

He doesn't look the type of guy who'd run

I'd get it if this sort of stuff was coming from a somebody who say writes for Time Magazine, lives in Manhatten, and went to...I dunno..Yale or something.

But dude looks goony as gently caress.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Has anyone suggested to him that he might try to get a real job, since male wokeness ambassador doesn't seem to be a paying gig?

edit: I'm just saying that I've long been a proponent of a Guaranteed Minimum Income, but this is the sort of thing that makes me think I might want to reconsider my position.

Weltlich has issued a correction as of 01:16 on Mar 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Weltlich posted:

Has anyone suggested to him that he might try to get a real job, since male wokeness ambassador doesn't seem to be a paying gig?

edit: I'm just saying that I've long been a proponent of a Guaranteed Minimum Income, but this is the sort of thing that makes me think I might want to reconsider my position.

he has enough money to bitch about tech nerd and libertarians in coffee shop he goes to every day. some say he comes from money, i personaly believe he probably comes from middle class, but he lives in SF while ebegging. so who knows.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Mar 29, 2017

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

He'll eventually be Wil Wheaton'd and, as soon as he feels betrayed by the wokes, he'll stop affecting the erudite progressive. :toxx:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

He'll eventually be Wil Wheaton'd and, as soon as he feels betrayed by the wokes, he'll stop affecting the erudite progressive. :toxx:

wait, wheaton actually realized they didn't care about him and were just using him as disposible idiot?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/woke8yearold/status/846803612420509698

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

seriously. like yeah mosul is loving awful and trump is retard fuckhead who lossed ROE even more then obama(who at least sorta tried) and this jackass is mad at the grunts? loving dumbfuck.

• Locked thread