Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phuzun posted:

Saw a news article (sorry, don't have the link) yesterday that the Model 3 is targeting the BMW 3 series. To my surprise, the 3 series does in fact start at $34,000, though it is literally a no option car for that price. And it quickly escalates with $800 being the cheapest options package (cold weather) along with several multi thousand dollar packages to add and other features. Wonder if Elon is planning to include a $188 iPad holder option for the Model 3.

What I'm saying is that seems like a bad target and why wouldn't he say he was targeting something like the hugely popular Maxima? Unless the options will be the kick in the face to the middle class buyers.

Here it is: friggin Bloomberg and the article really doesn't explain why they used that comparison. Has Tesla actually made this statement?

Why not target something like the hugely popular 3 series? :confused:

Maxima Feb 2017 YTD sales 8,636

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/U-S-Sales-Reports/releases/nissan-group-reports-february-2017-u-s-sales

3 Series Feb 2017 YTD sales 8,440

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170301006302/en/BMW-Group-U.S.-Reports-February-2017-Sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
As a Southern California resident, I'm honestly shocked that the 3 series doesn't outsell the Maxima by at least triple. There's a 3 series in every other garage on my block and I rarely see a new Maxima.

I'd bet that at least one out of five cars on my street are a plug in of some kind, as well. Several S and X Teslas, and quite a few plug in Hyundai Sonatas to go along with the million Fiat 500e and Golf Es.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

As a Southern California resident, I'm honestly shocked that the 3 series doesn't outsell the Maxima by at least triple. There's a 3 series in every other garage on my block and I rarely see a new Maxima.

I'd bet that at least one out of five cars on my street are a plug in of some kind, as well. Several S and X Teslas, and quite a few plug in Hyundai Sonatas to go along with the million Fiat 500e and Golf Es.

There are a lot of people that don't have SoCal money for car shopping. While I see more Mercedes minivans than Camrys around Miami, I'm under no illusion that they're a better-selling car.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cocoa Crispies posted:

There are a lot of people that don't have SoCal money for car shopping. While I see more Mercedes minivans than Camrys around Miami, I'm under no illusion that they're a better-selling car.

A Maxima isn't a hell of a lot cheaper than a 3 series, and my point was more than I almost never see a Maxima. I see cars in the Maxima price range everywhere, they just don't seem to be a popular choice this generation, at least here (or they just blend in).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

A Maxima isn't a hell of a lot cheaper than a 3 series, and my point was more than I almost never see a Maxima. I see cars in the Maxima price range everywhere, they just don't seem to be a popular choice this generation, at least here (or they just blend in).

You of all people should know that cars are a fashion choice. Where you live, a Maxima is "just another Nissan," while in lots of the country, even a 3-series is an "obnoxious fancy Eurotrash luxury car." This is why Ford sells a $60k F-150 with leather seats for five.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Didn't realize 3 series actually sold that well and it is clearly a regional thing as we dont have a dealership. We have Audi and Mercedes, though it seems anyone buying those around here, are opting for higher end models.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Phuzun posted:

Has Tesla actually made this statement?
And for the record musk has said repeatedly that the 3 series is the design target for the 3.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eyebeem posted:

I'd wager you don't see the Maxima because it blends in with everything else. The 3 series is instantly recognizable as a BMW.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Funny enough, our car progression has been 2003 bmw 325xi - 2011 nissan leaf(lease) - 2014 leaf (bought) - 09/2016 S90D and then when ever its available the 3 PXXD.

I think targetting the BMW 3 series market is pretty perfect. The 3 is basically what we wish we could have bought in 2011. It's a similar size profile and luxury level, hopefully. We bought the S for the distance and the autopilot but it is a loving boat of a car. Literally 6 inches longer and 3 inches wider than our SUV. We couldn't even consider it until they offered auto fold in mirrors because the drat thing wouldn't fit in our garage otherwise.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

ilkhan posted:

And for the record musk has said repeatedly that the 3 series is the design target for the 3.

Yeah, makes sense then. And I guess I won't be surprised when options are equally as marked up to the point that a full options car is just under the basic S.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Phuzun posted:

Yeah, makes sense then. And I guess I won't be surprised when options are equally as marked up to the point that a full options car is just under the basic S.
A full options 3 will probably cost more than a base S.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla-Bjørn does 292 mi in a Chevy Bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d57UmDNYOuc

The range seems great. I have no problems living with the plastic interior and the non-power seats, a little bit of a question mark with 50 kW charging (which might be fine with so low consumption) and possibly no remote preconditioning (?) but am really annoyed with the disco light dash. Lots of white green and blue lights that seemingly can't be switched off will destroy your night vision and be incredibly annoying when driving cross country or parking the car in a tight spot at night.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Okay so I have decided to whore myself out to a Californian company and they are offering me a company car. I already have a Tesla, which I guess I will park unless I'm feeling it that day.

So my question is, in the electric lease market, what is good these days? Looking at e-golf, i3, and 500e. Which would you guys choose?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Tesla just released their version 8.1 software, bringing the new Autopilot system to roughly the level of the first-gen hardware:

https://www.teslarati.com/first-look-v8-1-tesla-autopilot-2-0-autosteer-80-mph/

I could've sworn I'd heard they were originally just going to bump up the Autosteer speed limit to 55. It'll be fun to see how far they manage to get before the Model 3 release date.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

Okay so I have decided to whore myself out to a Californian company and they are offering me a company car. I already have a Tesla, which I guess I will park unless I'm feeling it that day.

So my question is, in the electric lease market, what is good these days? Looking at e-golf, i3, and 500e. Which would you guys choose?

Try them all, if you can. Considering the i3 is the only ground up EV in that group, it's likely the best all around. How soon do you have to choose? Why not a Bolt or a Leaf, which both are going to have better range.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Phuzun posted:

Try them all, if you can. Considering the i3 is the only ground up EV in that group, it's likely the best all around. How soon do you have to choose? Why not a Bolt or a Leaf, which both are going to have better range.

Hate how the leaf looks and hold an irrational hate for GM after being forced to drive a cavalier for my first car.

EDIT: Choose within next month or so,

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 30, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

EDIT: Choose within next month or so,

Will you be driving to clients etc on the job? Or just a perk? Either way I would keep using the Tesla and ask for more money instead.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Keep driving the Tesla, get a 2 seater roadster for the lease to have fun with on weekends.

If the company is serious about having you get it and use it, I'd say the i3 with some nice options. It'd be the best of that bunch outside of maybe the 0-60 perf, which I think the Golf is quicker at.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Phuzun posted:

The Soul EV is also a legit nice vehicle

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Ola posted:

Will you be driving to clients etc on the job? Or just a perk? Either way I would keep using the Tesla and ask for more money instead.

I don't envision much client engagement, likely I will be selling them some IP and assisting with the tech transfer for a year or so.

Phuzun posted:

Keep driving the Tesla, get a 2 seater roadster for the lease to have fun with on weekends.

If the company is serious about having you get it and use it, I'd say the i3 with some nice options. It'd be the best of that bunch outside of maybe the 0-60 perf, which I think the Golf is quicker at.

I'm pretty attached to electric at this point, I still maintain a Porsche in Chicago when I want something different. Plus HOA lane usage with only one driver in an EV in cali really sways me.

Looks like I'm going to check out an i3! Thanks for the suggestions.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The only downsides to the i3 are the expensive specially-sized tires and the relatively low range. Other than that, it's a really high-quality automobile.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

They have a 33kwh battery now as well, which should provide decent range. Not sure if they ever made the range extender manually controlled to let you start it immediately for a long planned trip.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Sicilian posted:

Plus HOA lane usage with only one driver in an EV in cali really sways me.

Very.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Sicilian posted:

I don't envision much client engagement, likely I will be selling them some IP and assisting with the tech transfer for a year or so.

I'm pretty attached to electric at this point, I still maintain a Porsche in Chicago when I want something different. Plus HOA lane usage with only one driver in an EV in cali really sways me.

Looks like I'm going to check out an i3! Thanks for the suggestions.

Every post of yours, Sicilian. Let me know if you want another employee in Chicago :) I want to learn about what you do.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I've heard a bunch of good things about the eGolf. I saw one on the road the other day and didn't notice it wasn't a normal VW til I saw the badge. It's only 24kwh but the 2017 model is supposed to have more whenever it comes out.

Also today I've driven about 6500 miles in my Leaf which would be like $640 in gas in an ICE, plus 2 oil changes but I've only paid $430 in loan payments and my power bill only went up $10 a month maybe. Win.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Every post of yours, Sicilian. Let me know if you want another employee in Chicago :) I want to learn about what you do.
Same here, but Cali.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Oh poo poo! I have totally forgotten about California oddball EVs.

Just saw a plug in Panamera and now I'm interested again. Looks like my range has opened up, Panamera, X5....

Anyone know of other oddball EVs?

EDIT: ahhhh I see the Panamera is just a hybrid.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I guess most readers of this thread know about electric bicycles, but perhaps some don't. The Sicilian might not know what bicycles even are! (hint, they make a crunching noise)

The development is going like crazy. The manufacturers have hit their stride and are churning out a wide array of well thought out products, with new features and concepts showing up all the time - all abiding with the applicable laws that makes this category straddler possible. I've only tried an ebike once properly and it was great. The motor doesn't help you beyond a certain speed or acceleration, it just makes covering distance and climbing hills almost effortless. I think I can best describe it as making cycling feel as easy as it looks when you see someone really good at it go by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2KRNC4S2Is

e: Around 1:00, I think he's trying to say that the bike has regen braking. First time I see it in an ebike, awesome.

Ola fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 5, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I feel like the wattage and speed laws still ought to be changed, though.

Ideally commuting on an ebike and not having to shower would become a realistic and even desirable option for a lot of people.

It's not like a steel mountain bike with a 750W motor is any more dangerous than the lycra warriors trying to keep up their heart rate while they overtake people unsafely on public paths.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Model 3 looks unattractive and uninteresting.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-full-tesla-model-3-way-before-youre-suppose-1794073497

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As an Elon acolyte (Elolyte? Radicalized Musk-lim?), my knee-jerk reaction is to defend it but ... I think I agree. The features, range, performance etc will be interesting but that thing in those pics looks kinda awkward, out of proportion somehow. It's like someone washed a Model X on too high a temp. Or left a Panamera out in the sun too long. It might be shorter than the Model S, but it'll probably be just as awkward to park. Big overhang over the front wheels, long wheelbase, but still the same short, small trunk opening as the launch prototype. Not sure how the promised surf board or my skis will fit inside.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I know Elon says it's all about automation but it still has a steering wheel and a driver, which means it needs an instrument cluster. Center instrument clusters are horrible abominations, so unless that thing as a HUD which I think I recall was a "no" it's going to have to be pretty drat amazing to regain my interest.

Also from the Jalopnik comments, it definitely needs this:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ola posted:

As an Elon acolyte (Elolyte? Radicalized Musk-lim?),

Muskrat.

Around here, crackheads would think that's an ipad mounted to the dash, and smash the window to rip it off.

hopefully you can take your gauge cluster off and lock it in the glove compartment isn't a thing i should have to say.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

wolrah posted:

Yeah, it looks really cheap without anything there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ola posted:

As an Elon acolyte (Elolyte? Radicalized Musk-lim?), my knee-jerk reaction is to defend it but ... I think I agree. The features, range, performance etc will be interesting but that thing in those pics looks kinda awkward, out of proportion somehow. It's like someone washed a Model X on too high a temp. Or left a Panamera out in the sun too long. It might be shorter than the Model S, but it'll probably be just as awkward to park. Big overhang over the front wheels, long wheelbase, but still the same short, small trunk opening as the launch prototype. Not sure how the promised surf board or my skis will fit inside.

I really wanted it to look good, because that was one of the best things the Model S did for electric cars. I think it reinforces an idea I had that it's very easy to make one good looking car, but once you codify that car's design language and try to emulate it across multiple vehicles, you end up mostly with uninspired garbage.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

I know it varies in the states, but in Norway front plates are mandatory so that spot gets filled out nicely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blugu64 posted:

Yeah, it looks really cheap without anything there

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Model S is bland but well proportioned and handsome. With the Model 3 they are replicating the same design language but throwing away the well proportioned bit and the language itself is a bit more dated by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

:what:

That looks really weak compared to the three prototypes on stage. I'm sure bigger wheels will make a difference and the rest like the softened fascia lines is probably because of pedestrian regulations.

• Locked thread