Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
someone in the kill six billion demons thread accidentally named a devil after me and there are certain uncanny similarities

Poltergrift posted:

"Anointed Mother" Absalom Malom du Serebryakov is variably Sister Absalom, Mother Absalom, the Prophetess, the Alchemist, or otherwise, a verdant devil clad in the nun's vestments, holy symbols, divine tattoos, anointments et al. of a dozen different denominations. She is always there for souls in need of guidance, and with her all-shrouding clothing, many desperate denizens of Throne mistake her (and her surprisingly soothing voice) for a holy woman, capable of granting immortality to those loyal to her and her unnamed God. Unfortunately, she lacks the smooth-talking skill of a real cult leader, and is forced to rely on scripts to convince the disenfranchised and desperate to attend her and strip her of her names. Her skill with management and logistics is far superior to her charisma -- each of Absalom's New Churches has risen to become an economic juggernaut, transmuting the fanatical labor of devotion into massive social and material capital... until it encounters a serious external threat. Then, unable to handle the resultant crises of faith, the Church collapses or schisms, and Absalom is back on the road, refining her pitch and trying to find a theology that works.

In every incarnation, she carries a string of elderly, heavily-decorated and -reinforced jars, each containing a single withered piece of flesh, a withered figurine the size of a Barbie doll. She claims that these are the shriveled and pickled remains of various legendary figures -- princes, swordsmen, saints, masters of the Art... each with its atum, its soul-flame, still flickering inside, awaiting the day of resurrection. With each new church, she adds those who fall in her service to the chain. One such, a particularly large container, purportedly contains the remains of an ancient, prophetic monster; it is currently in the possession of the Grand Dragon, and she has been planning to steal it for years, lacking only a band of holy fools to do the legwork.

In public, she enjoys clear water and tasteless wafers, claiming to have transcended the urges of devils. In private, she enjoys cognac, sweetmeats, black pudding and writing (terrible) novels. She talks to her jars, but it is unknown whether she genuinely believes her own hype, and -- if so -- whether she is soothing her faithful or taunting her victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
kill six billion demons is so dope

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Some guy at work had a gun blow up on him. Took a bunch of shrapnel to the chest.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schizotek posted:

Nah, not all stouts need to be engine oil thick. Granted there are way better light stouts, but its hard to find any on tap with a nitrous spout, which is what makes Guinness and Guinness-likes magical.

i dunno pretty much every brewery around here's been doing the nitro gimmick for a couple years now

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

stone cold posted:

.....you don't have that problem with chopsticks

im so sorry your mind or hands can't grasp how chopsticks work
They work like poo poo for granular things and I'm quite competent with them (usually, occasional lol exceptions usually involving nigiri). Jerry Seinfeld may have been playing to the home crowd but he was right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ku2H2fw3Xk

Whatever emotional experience is related to chopsticks, eating rice and things like this with them is inefficient as gently caress. Anything stringy or long, though, yeah, far superior to a fork and spoon - especially if it's in soup or broth. And, no, it doesn't matter what your technique is or how the rice is cooked. It's just nonsense. As the engineer points out, this isn't a question of taste, it's entirely empirical and you can model it. If you prefer to eat with chopsticks when it doesn't make sense, that's fine, but it's an emotional choice, not a rational one assuming availability.

Amusingly for LFties, you will appreciate that even after 11 years with conversational fluency, I'm still given a fork and spoon for chopstick dishes sometimes because innocent and trying-to-be-helpful :racism: heh. Have to demand the tiny pool cues for the morning glory and the dumplings and the spar-getty.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hell yes, "efficient" eating.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Some guy at work had a gun blow up on him. Took a bunch of shrapnel to the chest.

:yikes: how so

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now on the other hand watching white people overcompensate and try to use chopsticks for things you're not supposed to use them for is hilarious.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I have spent over ten thousand dollars on minimizing the number of therbligs I expend in shoving mass into my food tract, get on my level humanities majors.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there is no meal more refreshing than the smooth mold-tinged flavor of a cool glass of soylent

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
your refusal to bring a plastic knife and fork to the sushi joint belies a real emotionality, susan, and it will not look good on your performance review if you continue

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
also, good to see you back effectronica. does this fine day find you well?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

also, good to see you back effectronica. does this fine day find you well?

yeah

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

that's good, i'm glad to hear it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

ReindeerF posted:

They work like poo poo for granular things and I'm quite competent with them (usually, occasional lol exceptions usually involving nigiri). Jerry Seinfeld may have been playing to the home crowd but he was right:

Whatever emotional experience is related to chopsticks, eating rice and things like this with them is inefficient as gently caress. Anything stringy or long, though, yeah, far superior to a fork and spoon - especially if it's in soup or broth. And, no, it doesn't matter what your technique is or how the rice is cooked. It's just nonsense. As the engineer points out, this isn't a question of taste, it's entirely empirical and you can model it. If you prefer to eat with chopsticks when it doesn't make sense, that's fine, but it's an emotional choice, not a rational one assuming availability.

Amusingly for LFties, you will appreciate that even after 11 years with conversational fluency, I'm still given a fork and spoon for chopstick dishes sometimes because innocent and trying-to-be-helpful :racism: heh. Have to demand the tiny pool cues for the morning glory and the dumplings and the spar-getty.
who are you

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

kill six billion demons is so dope
how good is it i'm going to marry the sphinx

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/MagicRealismBot/status/846696427900157954

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Not entirely sure. It was something to do with some sort of misfire where you are supposed to step away from the weapon for a few minutes before you fiddle with it, and he only waited like ten seconds. Opened it up and kablooie. Spent the night in the hospital, but he'll be fine. Will probably set off metal detectors for the rest of his life tho. I saw the rifle afterwards and goddamn. The upper receiver exploded into two pieces and I guess a chunk of the lower hit someone further away in the head lightly. The thing was loving mangled.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Volkerball posted:

Not entirely sure. It was something to do with some sort of misfire where you are supposed to step away from the weapon for a few minutes before you fiddle with it, and he only waited like ten seconds. Opened it up and kablooie. Spent the night in the hospital, but he'll be fine. Will probably set off metal detectors for the rest of his life tho. I saw the rifle afterwards and goddamn. The upper receiver exploded into two pieces and I guess a chunk of the lower hit someone further away in the head lightly. The thing was loving mangled.

Hangfire? Hangfire into a squib?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

Hangfire? Hangfire into a squib?

Hangfire yep that was the word

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Pirate Radar posted:

Now on the other hand watching white people overcompensate and try to use chopsticks for things you're not supposed to use them for is hilarious.

Chopsticks are made for froot loops

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Avshalom posted:

who are you

notorious badposter

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
"waiter, a pint of asahi super dry and a pair of chopsticks please"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

about as stupid of an incident as i expected

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Avshalom posted:

"waiter, a pint of asahi super dry and a pair of chopsticks please"
well, how else are you going to get skittles out of the beer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so, what's the europol hot take on austrian withdrawal from the eu refugee resettlement agreement

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so, what's the europol hot take on austrian withdrawal from the eu refugee resettlement agreement

Blame Germany.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
randler, what's an alb and why is it swabbish?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

somehow, someone more boring then volkerball steps up to the plate

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the main source of joy in my life is eating rice with chopsticks

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I'm not putting a lot of thought into all the Russia goings-on but man this administration is making it real hard to do so

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I need to go back to K6BD. Last I followed it was written stories about Yisun's stupid and evil student

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cease to Hope posted:

the main source of joy in my life is eating rice with chopsticks

The main source of joy in your life is eating plain white rice?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I'm not putting a lot of thought into all the Russia goings-on but man this administration is making it real hard to do so

i'm actually loling at the guy in washington d.c. saying with a straight face "it's all politics here"

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also alps are mountains travel editor bird.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

The main source of joy in your life is eating plain white rice?

you can do lots of things with rice that are not plain white rice

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacex product placement in me andromeda :whitewater:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Randler posted:

Also alps are mountains travel editor bird.

No, I thought that was a typo too at first, but Swabia has an "Alb".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

No, I thought that was a typo too at first, but Swabia has an "Alb".
yeah, that's highland in swabia. look up swabian jura/alps

• Locked thread