Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

New Sparks is up for pre-order! First 1,000 orders get a free 7". Signed lyrics sheets, too. https://sparks.tmstor.es/

And ordered. Got the picture disc, heres hoping its worth as much as Bangerz in a few years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

New Sparks is up for pre-order! First 1,000 orders get a free 7". Signed lyrics sheets, too. https://sparks.tmstor.es/

Booooo, I don't have any money.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Light in the Attic is having a little sale

http://lightintheattic.net/shelves/Spring%20Cleaning%20Sale%202017

I picked up the Loma set and the Jane Birkin and Serge.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Small dump: Limited red vinyl edition.

Anal Trump - That Makes Me Smart!

Dodecahedron - Kwintessens

Death - Human

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

:O

https://twitter.com/newburycomics/status/846744279796068354

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dope

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
That album has to have been pressed in every possible vinyl record color at this point right?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Giga Gaia posted:

That album has to have been pressed in every possible vinyl record color at this point right?

yeah, but now it's in marbled blue and gold.

it's a newbury pressing so it'll be $45+ before shipping. Awesome :downs:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

yeah, but now it's in marbled blue and gold.

it's a newbury pressing so it'll be $45+ before shipping. Awesome :downs:

The quality control on these are also pretty spotty. I got two copies of John Carpenter's Lost Themes II from them that were bad pressings before they just gave me a refund and then I went home and bought the black vinyl one from the label.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

Yesterday's finds. Paid a really good price for the fagen album.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hi y'all, sorry I haven't posted in a long time. I'm gonna want to hire somebody to rip some 78s for me. This is a RFP. PM your bids to me. Let's say I'm going to be asking to get a dozen 10" 78 records ripped, to 24/4800 .wav, and ask that you return the albums when you're done, tunes on disc - NOT music discs, obv. I want a pretty high quality job. That is all.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I've got an Audio Technica AT-LP60 turntable, and it works well enough but I'm looking to do a little upgrade. My main complaint is that the sound quality gets worse the closer it gets to the center of the record. I've been told that some of this is just due to the way vinyl works/is made, but I'm curious if a cartridge upgrade would help. I'm also slightly concerned that my setup may be tearing up my records, but I have no evidence for this other than hearing that cheap turntables can do that sometimes. Should I look into upgrading my cartridge, or would I be better off just upgrading my whole turntable? And if I can just upgrade my cartridge, do I have to get one made by AT or are they all pretty much universal as long as you get the correct size/mount?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just played David Bowie's Blackstar for the first time in awhile and noticed some kind of clear residue smeared across both sides of the record.

I guess it's time to take it out of the gimmick PVC sleeve. :rolleyes: At least it wiped off easily.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

camoseven posted:

I've got an Audio Technica AT-LP60 turntable, and it works well enough but I'm looking to do a little upgrade. My main complaint is that the sound quality gets worse the closer it gets to the center of the record. I've been told that some of this is just due to the way vinyl works/is made, but I'm curious if a cartridge upgrade would help. I'm also slightly concerned that my setup may be tearing up my records, but I have no evidence for this other than hearing that cheap turntables can do that sometimes. Should I look into upgrading my cartridge, or would I be better off just upgrading my whole turntable? And if I can just upgrade my cartridge, do I have to get one made by AT or are they all pretty much universal as long as you get the correct size/mount?

That TT is basically the most garbage turntable on the market that isn't a Crosley. Go haunt craigslist for a <$100 vintage deck that you can hear play in person, make sure the basic parameters check out, then drop another ~$100 on a proper cartride. Buy a spare stylus while you are at it. Boom, enjoy a decade of worry free playback

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

camoseven posted:

This isn't how vinyl is made to work.

First check that your tracking force is set to the manufacturer recommended setting. Then look up how to check your cartridge alignment. It sounds like it's not aligned.

Does that TT have anti skate?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

petit choux posted:

Hi y'all, sorry I haven't posted in a long time. I'm gonna want to hire somebody to rip some 78s for me. This is a RFP. PM your bids to me. Let's say I'm going to be asking to get a dozen 10" 78 records ripped, to 24/4800 .wav, and ask that you return the albums when you're done, tunes on disc - NOT music discs, obv. I want a pretty high quality job. That is all.

you think any of these clowns know how to do that?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I put my phone next to the speaker and record doesn't seem that hard

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What's a 78? Do they sell them at Urban Outfitters? That's where I buy all my Taylor Swift vinyls.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Boinks posted:

This isn't how vinyl is made to work.

First check that your tracking force is set to the manufacturer recommended setting. Then look up how to check your cartridge alignment. It sounds like it's not aligned.

Does that TT have anti skate?

The AT-LP60 has none of these features.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea, it's the cheapest TT that Audio Technica makes. I got it on Craigslist for 20 bucks cause I wanted something cheap to see if I actually enjoyed collecting, and 2 years later it seems the answer is yes. So I guess I just need to upgrade to something better.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

camoseven posted:

So I guess I just need to upgrade to something better.

Yes. Get a niiiice vintage deck off Craigslist or a hanpin super OEM. You will be glad you did.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

interpunct posted:

The AT-LP60 has none of these features.

Christ. Sell it on Craigslist and buy something better.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What's a 78? Do they sell them at Urban Outfitters? That's where I buy all my Taylor Swift vinyls.

You gotta push both the 45 and 33 buttons so it adds up to 78

Its like gimmick stuff people do to sell records to dumb hipsters who aren't interested in having a proper hifi setup with energy absorbing crystals to balance the acoustics.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Herb Alpert is going to be performing here in May. Thinking of going.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A human heart posted:

you think any of these clowns know how to do that?

oh my bad

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

You gotta push both the 45 and 33 buttons so it adds up to 78

Its like gimmick stuff people do to sell records to dumb hipsters who aren't interested in having a proper hifi setup with energy absorbing crystals to balance the acoustics.

That's actually how you get the 78 speed on my turntable.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

CPL593H posted:

That's actually how you get the 78 speed on my turntable.

I was going to say, I think he was making a joke but that's legitimately how many turntables work, hah.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

New M.O.O.N. album in pre-order. If this is even a little bit your thing it's probably worth picking up. The two EPs he's put out are both quite good and appreciated nicely.

http://music.musicofthemoon.com/album/clinically-blas

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Ugh, I ordered a Nightstop album from Qrates and apparently they left the preorders opened by accident, so me and like 60 other people got dicked out of an album. And the artist doesn't want to do a repress because apparently the process to get the album made so so onerous. #vinylcollectorproblems

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

super nailgun posted:

New M.O.O.N. album in pre-order. If this is even a little bit your thing it's probably worth picking up. The two EPs he's put out are both quite good and appreciated nicely.

http://music.musicofthemoon.com/album/clinically-blas

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Stan Taylor posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

And it's spelled M-O-O-N!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Actually it's very clearly M|O|O|N.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Boinks posted:

Do it, the dude can play.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Allen Wren posted:

Do it, the dude can play.

Useless trivia: he's the only artist to have a #1 vocal & #1 instrumental song on the Billboard Hot 100 charts.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boinks posted:

I wonder if he has some tour edition colors of Whipped Cream available at the merch booth.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

dorium posted:

I wonder if he has some tour edition colors of Whipped Cream available at the merch booth.

I can't find anyone else who wants to go. Maybe I should be asking my parents friends...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

I can't find anyone else who wants to go. Maybe I should be asking my parents friends...

Are your parents in their 70s?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Are your parents in their 70s?

Not quite.

On another note I found a Wham album at a thrift store today.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Not quite.

On another note I found a Wham album at a thrift store today.

Now you can open up a really lovely record store based on a hilariously terrible business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Speaking of old vintage poo poo: my dad asked me if I wanted his United Audio DUAL 1225 turntable from the cretaceous period. Of course I said yes because it's covered in wood grain and looks baller as gently caress, and I have great memories of listening to it as a kid. That being said, it works but needs a new cartridge (or at least a new stylus). What's a good place to find something that works with something this old?

The turntable in question: