Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

And then what's up ... the Gael area that's just an ash wasteland?

I haven't even begun ~*~lore speculating~*~ but remember the opening cinematic of the game? It's straight out of that. What this means however (other than "duuuude it's the place from the cinematic!") is beyond me :iiam:

Oxyclean posted:

I found the NPC summon kinda helped? But with an UGS it's not too hard to get hits on his head, but there's definitely frustrations with his hitboxes and movement.

I found that she just made his moveset more erratic, which in turn made the camera problems even worse. Also I was using a spear. Don't use a spear :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh my god having so much fun at the second bonfire invading.

I'm Lord Babby Butt if anyone summons a Mad phantom on PS4 :cthulhu:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

So how do you get to the higher-up area in the Ringed City proper with a piece of loot you can spot from around door-lady, down gently caress-off giant boulevard?

You need to find the spot with The engraving that says "show your humanity" - it's on the other side of the gate from the Streets bonfire. If that has you stumped you need to:
go into the abyss swamp area just outside and use white branches or chameleon until you turn into a humanity sprite.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

You need to find the spot with The engraving that says "show your humanity" - it's on the other side of the gate from the Streets bonfire. If that has you stumped you need to:
go into the abyss swamp area just outside and use white branches or chameleon until you turn into a humanity sprite.

Oh really? I didn't expect those two things to be linked.

Well, I'll have to go back and try that out later then.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Deckit posted:

gently caress this optional dragon boss. Any suggestions for his bullshit?

I just summoned the NPC that's available and she took 95% of the aggro up until she died. By that point the dragon only had like 10% health from me standing between it's legs and I killed it.

Although stupidly I died to lingering fire after it died at the same time. :v:

Insurrectionist posted:

Oh really? I didn't expect those two things to be linked.

Well, I'll have to go back and try that out later then.

I don't know if it matters but try standing is a fairly clear area like the one just past the base of the steps when you do it. I kept turning into other things when near walls or objects.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've only played enough to get to the first bonfire, but I already found a Lightsaber, so I don't know I'd say this DLC is pretty great

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Just putting the controller down and trying a different character. Dex based character is having an incredibly hard time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So I'm a complete idiot and got killed in the middle of some NPC dialogue. Specifically the woman behind the door who then asks you to go kill the dragon.

Would any kind soul who's finished the DLC and doesn't mind searching this up be able to provide me with a link to a video of this part or a text transcript? I'm pretty bummed out that I missed what I was being told.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

So I'm a complete idiot and got killed in the middle of some NPC dialogue. Specifically the woman behind the door who then asks you to go kill the dragon.

Would any kind soul who's finished the DLC and doesn't mind searching this up be able to provide me with a link to a video of this part or a text transcript? I'm pretty bummed out that I missed what I was being told.

Did you try talking to them again? I had to bail on the convo to avoid getting killed and it started again from the start for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Did you try talking to them again? I had to bail on the convo to avoid getting killed and it started again from the start for me.

Yes I did and it was different.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes I did and it was different.

Her dialog is all transcribed here. I don't know how much is part of the first chain.

There's nothing super huge to be spoiled on, but you should be fine if you stop once you see whatever looks familiar.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Regy Rusty posted:

It's real dumb how that's positioned so that one of those dudes can roll up behind you while you're talking.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
More boss stuff:

How are you getting bleed procs on this loving dragon? I've got rouge on and literally just hit it 20 times in quick succession with no proc.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Her dialog is all transcribed here. I don't know how much is part of the first chain.

There's nothing super huge to be spoiled on, but you should be fine if you stop once you see whatever looks familiar.

Thank you kindly, that's exactly what I needed. I didn't even know her name to search for this page since I missed it entirely.

Yodzilla posted:

It's real dumb how that's positioned so that one of those dudes can roll up behind you while you're talking.

Yyuuuup that wasn't nice

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This just in, Ledo is a fuckboy

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of Ledo: Can you still run into him if you've killed the bosses? I noticed the other NPC invaders seemed to show up regardless of your kindled status. I'm pretty sure I went to the spot he's supposed to invade at, post boss deaths, but he didn't show up.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Boss Thoughts
Demons/Demon Prince: I thought this was all right. It wasn't too hard, not easy, and reasonably fun. Second phase felt a lot like Flamelurker 2, and that's all right with me.
Spears Fight: Well, the Old Monk is cool I guess. The fight is aggressively random, though, since it depends on who you end up getting, and I got someone with a giant hammer who didn't know how to use it too well, so I finished it without to much trouble. Still, I can't wait to do this myself, if I ever find the covenant item.
Gael: Really, this felt like FromSoft tried to do a Greatest Hits Version Boss Fight, with some thematic or mechanic element taken from previous Soulsborne bosses to use in the fight, making him kind of a giant conglomerate of ideas that work reasonably well together. I thought he was fun enough, and I got a sliver-of-HP-no-estus victory on him, which always feels good. Not as hard as Friede, who I will consistent rank as being the only fight in the series that really busts that "this fight is genuinely too hard even though it's fair" limit.
Midir: I'm not done fighting it yet. It's Sinh but worse. The only genuinely bad boss in the DLC imo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Can I just say I really appreciate that this DLC
1) has poo poo tons of chunks
2) has soul rewards that feel actually appropriate to the post game difficulty that Souls DLCs aim for

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone else get booted to the menu with a "You lack the license for this DLC" message?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Just once, and it allowed me back in no problem.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Boss Thoughts
Demons/Demon Prince: I thought this was all right. It wasn't too hard, not easy, and reasonably fun. Second phase felt a lot like Flamelurker 2, and that's all right with me.
Spears Fight: Well, the Old Monk is cool I guess. The fight is aggressively random, though, since it depends on who you end up getting, and I got someone with a giant hammer who didn't know how to use it too well, so I finished it without to much trouble. Still, I can't wait to do this myself, if I ever find the covenant item.
Gael: Really, this felt like FromSoft tried to do a Greatest Hits Version Boss Fight, with some thematic or mechanic element taken from previous Soulsborne bosses to use in the fight, making him kind of a giant conglomerate of ideas that work reasonably well together. I thought he was fun enough, and I got a sliver-of-HP-no-estus victory on him, which always feels good. Not as hard as Friede, who I will consistent rank as being the only fight in the series that really busts that "this fight is genuinely too hard even though it's fair" limit.
Midir: I'm not done fighting it yet. It's Sinh but worse. The only genuinely bad boss in the DLC imo

Covenant item comes from beating Midir.
Yeah, I barely scraped by Gael on my... second try? But defintely felt way more manageable then Friede, to the point I was surprised there was no swerve or surprise. Can't say I mind, Friede is one of those fights I don't really want to do solo.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Used more profanity than I think I have ever used before during the first couple bits of the DLC last night. I need to get a good weapon up to +10 on my pyromancer. Is the Onyx Blade still one of the best choices? Was using a raw rear end before this. I have heard that a chaos infused long sword or Lothric knight sword is good too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mentalcontempt posted:

Used more profanity than I think I have ever used before during the first couple bits of the DLC last night. I need to get a good weapon up to +10 on my pyromancer. Is the Onyx Blade still one of the best choices? Was using a raw rear end before this. I have heard that a chaos infused long sword or Lothric knight sword is good too.

I have more AR on the Onyx Blade by a good amount than on my Reinforced Dark Sword, go for it. The buff being Dark Weapon is fun too, since it also actually does damage if the flourish touches a guy.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
New covenant thoughts: It's fun conceptually and it's nice you get an NPC backing you up that respawns if you stall and the Old Monk style Homing Soulmass passive but it feels grossly unfair in favor of the host otherwise; they get all their Estus, you don't seem to get any stronger if they have phantoms so they can just gank you, and I have yet to be summoned while the real boss is active and he doesn't spawn while I'm in there (does he spawn at all if you come in, because he had some pretty unique abilities that players don't) so I don't even get the benefit of distraction unless the host is a moron and goes after the Painting Guardian, which means all I'm really accomplishing is trying to stall them out of Estus for the real boss (if there even is one online) and I get dick-all if they die to him after killing me. The only way to win seems to be to tag them with an Undead Hunter Charm so they can't just roll-and-Estus-and-roll spam through anything you do and then lay into them with something that bleeds effectively. I tried being silly and hiding while they're engaged with the Painting Guardian and then pop out and try to Soul Stream them but with the netcode it never works and they just heal through everything. You do get bonuses from the rewards that apparently help you in the fight itself but having to win fights at a massive disadvantage to get slightly less of a disadvantage is kind of lame.

Still fun sometimes though, and nothing beats blocking their healing and going ham on them. Especially if you have high Poise and the 10 reward item that enhances your defenses passively, which I assume stacks with what feels like a general buff just for spawning in as a boss, you can probably do a lot of otherwise inadvisable hit trades because you can get tanky.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I checked the last 10 pages and didn't see anything. On PS4 and It says my game installation is 24% complete on the title screen even though I downloaded both DLC and am using a disc and all updates installed. When I try to load a game it says game installation incomplete. I let it sit for 5 minutes and the installation percentage didn't move... what the gently caress?

Deleted and redownloaded DS3 without the DLC and now it's stuck at 98%. Left it sitting for 15 minutes and it hasn't moved.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna stream the DLC in a minute if anyone wants to watch me play poorly and stuff.

https://www.twitch.tv/lotusgramarye

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
When I beat the Spears boss it was to a dude wearing full Havel's and wielding two door shields. Not a bad build but I crushed him with my strength and Yhorm's Great Machete. :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
All right, finally, I killed Midir. It's not as bad as the Ancient Dragon, but it's definitely worse than both Kalameet (who I didn't think was a particularly great boss either,) and Sinh (who I think is actually pretty good.) A boss bigger than your screen should not have a 6-hit combo.

Also, the Spears of the Church covenant rules. Playing as The Old Monk is fun, and always has been.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

All right, finally, I killed Midir. It's not as bad as the Ancient Dragon, but it's definitely worse than both Kalameet (who I didn't think was a particularly great boss either,) and Sinh (who I think is actually pretty good.) A boss bigger than your screen should not have a 6-hit combo.

Also, the Spears of the Church covenant rules. Playing as The Old Monk is fun, and always has been.

Boss stuff:

Yeah Sinh was a good dragon fight. This fight is garbage because of the wonky hitboxes, lovely camera and the 5k you have to run just to fight the boss.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where do I go to access the optional boss?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
5k? There's a bonfire right outside the elevator, unless you mean traversing 2 rooms and a ladder?

Anyway I was fairly disappointed with the dragon, but I never liked any of the dragon fights in dark souls. I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between any of them except some of them fly around more?

Also already have a high bodycount for the covenant. The crow claw + rapier have served me the best so far. But man it's fun to be the boss again. Raddest part of DeS I'm glad to see come back. .

And while it's nice you can ressurect a boss for infinite slab farming I wish they'd just straight up extend that option for all bosses ;/

edit: Maybe that's wrong, I haven't tried it myself. But I still wish we had Bonfire Ascetics again!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 28, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

And while it's nice you can ressurect a boss for infinite slab farming I wish they'd just straight up extend that option for all bosses ;/

I thought I saw people saying you don't actually get slabs on re-kills.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

While I've enjoyed all of the DLC so far quite a lot, this second boss really does suck. I actually really liked the Midir pre-fight because even though it was very tight with not a lot of room to maneuver, all of his attacks were well telegraphed and avoidable. Midir proper is ridiculously hard to actually hit for such a huge target and every part of his body hurts you from just nicking you. Blah!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

5k? There's a bonfire right outside the elevator, unless you mean traversing 2 rooms and a ladder?

Anyway I was fairly disappointed with the dragon, but I never liked any of the dragon fights in dark souls. I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between any of them except some of them fly around more?

Also already have a high bodycount for the covenant. The crow claw + rapier have served me the best so far. But man it's fun to be the boss again. Raddest part of DeS I'm glad to see come back. .

More boss stuff:

Yeah its a 5k cause you have to literally be running 90% of the time to follow the drat dragon so you get a chance to hit it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Where do I go to access the optional boss?

There's a room with a gwyn statue somewhere around the Ring City Streets bonfire. Go up the elevator and unlock the door. This should take you to the inner ring city bonfire. While your on the elevator there is a hole in the wall. Go through that hole and down the corridor until you see a ladder. Go down the ladder and you'll come to a room with an altar and a hole behind it. Think darklurker, the boss is down the hole. However you need to first beat the dragon when its clinging to the bridge harassing you with fire.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Regy Rusty posted:

While I've enjoyed all of the DLC so far quite a lot, this second boss really does suck. I actually really liked the Midir pre-fight because even though it was very tight with not a lot of room to maneuver, all of his attacks were well telegraphed and avoidable. Midir proper is ridiculously hard to actually hit for such a huge target and every part of his body hurts you from just nicking you. Blah!
Yeah that's true, the bridge fight is way better and much more interesting. I like the IDEA of what follows but it isn't fun. Just put the boss on the bridge.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I stopped playing my last game around the time to start the DLC while i waited for this to come out. Does it matter what order i do them and when should I do the nameless king in comparison? assuming they're both designed for pre-final boss

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I'm so upset, I don't know what I did, but my grandma from the beginning of the DLC is dead. I was farting around getting items and went back to see if she had anything new to say after finding the ringed city and she was dead with her ashes on her body. There was a new angel flying around, so I guess that killed her? I couldn't find it's body for revenge. Interestingly, her ashes mention her being a wet-nurse for royalty. I'm assuming that means baby Lothric.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
im so good i beat the boss

my new dog fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 28, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Martian Manfucker posted:

I'm so upset, I don't know what I did, but my grandma from the beginning of the DLC is dead. I was farting around getting items and went back to see if she had anything new to say after finding the ringed city and she was dead with her ashes on her body. There was a new angel flying around, so I guess that killed her? I couldn't find it's body for revenge. Interestingly, her ashes mention her being a wet-nurse for royalty. I'm assuming that means baby Lothric.

The angel is her. Remember what she said about "what it feels like to be a god"? She got her wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Internet Kraken posted:

That's all there is. I don't know why From expects me to give a crap about their stupid painting full of murderous crows.

Ughhhh. I really wanna like this DLC. But for a conclusion to the series its leaving me wanting so badly. The biggest question I had will forever go unanswered because From doesn't care about DS2 enough.

This is how I feel right now. I actually liked this DLC but now that I'm done I'm a little...that's it? That's how this is all going to end?

Also I'm a bit bummed that once again so many of the new enemies are just giant fuckoff smashulons with a billion poise. Thankfully my main is a strength build but I have no idea how people who go dex and shortswords/daggers get through some of this stuff.