Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

That's not how that song goes :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But nuclear bombs explode, surely nuclear power plants are just very slow bombs. It's only sensible! :eng99:

Not that I disagree, but this is basically the cultural image of it passed around in the real world - it's one reason it's so expensive to build the things, or why even the extant ones are mostly gen 2 reactors when far safer designs (and the ones we have are already pretty safe) have been around for decades. I wouldn't necessarily expect the type of people who've made the type of.... "game" we've seen so far to necessarily be read enough to know that; hell plenty of actual game developers keep putting exploding nuclear reactors in their games.

Also, while most of the designs have been really goddamn bad, and these two new ludicrous 'mons are exactly that, I'm kind of waiting to see what's up with the legendaries. It's not like GF has never released really loving dumb stuff even outside of legendaries - Wobuffet (and Shadow Tag) comes to mind, as does loving Stealth Rock. That's an entry hazard that should have been removed the next generation after it was introduced, not still around. Note I'm fully aware Uranium has been consistently bad with these setups as opposed to just the occasional misstep, but GF is not exactly sparkling clean either.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Stealth Rock is just bad and should've been nerfed, I'm kind of the school that if one move is an absolute must in the competitive scene, that it's just too powerful.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Are there any good Pokeman fanfics? Sorry for bringing the subject up,but anything's more interesting to talk about than Uranium.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Here's one I linked a while back. It's not narrative, but I think it's interesting.

The Natural History of Pokemon

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
All the talk about Sage got me to check out the demo. I have to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised. It's definitely trying to be an actual Pokemon game. I do have a few issues with the demo, but it is 2 years old and maybe they've fixed them by now. Thankfully, I only really have issues with the gameplay side of things. There's no edgy writing and stuff like getting a key from a stalker to get into a house. It's more in line with the Pokemon games, actually. The issues I have is that the early game is a bit rough (Some Pokemon really could do without having both Sand Attack and Growl, and some trainers could do with less Pokemon) and the encounter rate is just too high. Despite that, I enjoyed it, and I think it seems promising. Having read the wiki, the people working on the project seem to have some good heads on their shoulders, so I look forward to the next demo.

Despite the majority of the early game Pokemon being Ice types, you won't really see Ice moves come out until sometime after you can get Pokeballs. Which means that if you pick the Grass starter, you won't be screwed over right away and can build up your team well before you run into them. That really speaks volumes about the game balance and already puts it above Uranium in my eyes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dr. Fetus posted:

All the talk about Sage got me to check out the demo. I have to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised. It's definitely trying to be an actual Pokemon game. I do have a few issues with the demo, but it is 2 years old and maybe they've fixed them by now. Thankfully, I only really have issues with the gameplay side of things. There's no edgy writing and stuff like getting a key from a stalker to get into a house. It's more in line with the Pokemon games, actually. The issues I have is that the early game is a bit rough (Some Pokemon really could do without having both Sand Attack and Growl, and some trainers could do with less Pokemon) and the encounter rate is just too high. Despite that, I enjoyed it, and I think it seems promising. Having read the wiki, the people working on the project seem to have some good heads on their shoulders, so I look forward to the next demo.

Despite the majority of the early game Pokemon being Ice types, you won't really see Ice moves come out until sometime after you can get Pokeballs. Which means that if you pick the Grass starter, you won't be screwed over right away and can build up your team well before you run into them. That really speaks volumes about the game balance and already puts it above Uranium in my eyes.

the prevalence of early ice types is also neat because the devs straight up don't want to put in fairy type or mega forms since those were added after the sage dex was mostly locked down, so having good ice options is needed for any eventual dragon pokemon if they ever start being more of a thing in the theoretical later bits of sage.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This is beautiful, thank you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:golfclap:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not every setting needs to be grimdark gritty. Pokemon does not need grimdark gritty.
Friendly reminder pokémon has vengeful dolls, trees, haunted tree stumps, candles that drain your life energy, cacti that follow travelers in the desert, waiting for them to tire before closing in, literal eldritch abominations and several other similar horrors

If you look past the surface of the games, there's a lot of dark stuff going on

Especially in ORAS and SuMo

VolticSurge posted:

Are there any good Pokeman fanfics? Sorry for bringing the subject up,but anything's more interesting to talk about than Uranium.
I hear Ashes of the Past by Saphroneth is pretty good and holds the most reviews, follows and favorites on Pokémon's FFN section

Not my cup of tea since it's a Peggy Sue fix-fic that is basically covering the entire Pokémon Anime
It's over 200 chapters and has gotten to the Battle Frontier

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 28, 2017

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Slightly off-topic but what the gently caress is Rat!Fic.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Obstinately "Rational Fiction" in which authors take a setting and try to make it "rational." HPMoR tends to be the poster child.

The culture surrounding it tends to be high on ego, lesswrong types.

You can find some good stuff but like I mentioned before, that's just because the 1% of things created are not poo poo holds up rather than any virtue of the style itself.

Leon Cross fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 28, 2017

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
So basically like hard sci-fi but without any of the charm? .... and without half the authors actually being professionals in the field they're speculating on through fiction?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
rational fics are terrible and basically no fun allowed stories.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dang MissEchelon of Lets Play Megaman Battle Network fame doing art? Noice.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like that smug arcanine

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Vinylshadow posted:

If you look past the surface of the games, there's a lot of dark stuff going on

Oh god we only go in circles, and not cool circles like MEGAWEAPON's treads.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oh god we only go in circles, and not cool circles like MEGAWEAPON's treads.

hey have you guys ever thought about how pokemon battles are basically dogfighting hosed up right

they should, like, make a pokemon game that shows the real heart of darkness behind the pokemon world, man

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

GeneX posted:

I like that smug arcanine

Wanna pet that smug arcanine tbh.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"
I'm not sure if you can even make a legitimately difficult Pokemon game. The usual Pokemon engine is not flexible enough to allow you to adopt specific strategies that are not "Pick 1-2 Pokemon and use only them the entire game", "Pick the strongest moves and type-coverage over time", "Power up and sweep everybody", and/or "Item spam" without grinding a lot in one way or another, for instance having to catch and train certain Pokemon and knowing they can have specific movesets and/or abilities in the first place without cheating and looking up Pokemon locations.

Thus we run into situations like Uranium basically expecting you to have a strong Water type or someone with Flash Fire for the Overheating Pokemon shown in the OP.

Or Pokemon Rejuvenation and to a lesser extent Pokemon Reborn where you have to adopt specific strategies to nullify or counter field effects that basically turn Gym Leaders' teams into armies of 6 Mega Rayquazas of a specific type and benefit specific original moves only they know and will never teach you in anyway while providing no benefit to you whatsoever aside from one gym battle in Reborn where the field effect benefits the gym leader's Ghost Pokemon but also Electric types as well.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

And the only time Pokemon have been used for energy is by the bad guys, like Johto Team Rocket using a bunch of Electrode for power.

First season of the anime has a bunch of pikachu being used as the backup generator for a pokecenter, but I guess that's a bit different to the sort of "always on" systems we're talking about here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30FQ0hIEnxQ

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FishOnAPiano posted:

First season of the anime has a bunch of pikachu being used as the backup generator for a pokecenter, but I guess that's a bit different to the sort of "always on" systems we're talking about here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30FQ0hIEnxQ
Also, you know, second law of thermodynamics. And slavery.

Neatly sidestep the issue of if battling Pokemon is wrong by locking them in a basement and having them turn a big wooden crank all day!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Bydoless posted:

I'm not sure if you can even make a legitimately difficult Pokemon game. The usual Pokemon engine is not flexible enough to allow you to adopt specific strategies that are not "Pick 1-2 Pokemon and use only them the entire game", "Pick the strongest moves and type-coverage over time", "Power up and sweep everybody", and/or "Item spam" without grinding a lot in one way or another, for instance having to catch and train certain Pokemon and knowing they can have specific movesets and/or abilities in the first place without cheating and looking up Pokemon locations.

Thus we run into situations like Uranium basically expecting you to have a strong Water type or someone with Flash Fire for the Overheating Pokemon shown in the OP.

Or Pokemon Rejuvenation and to a lesser extent Pokemon Reborn where you have to adopt specific strategies to nullify or counter field effects that basically turn Gym Leaders' teams into armies of 6 Mega Rayquazas of a specific type and benefit specific original moves only they know and will never teach you in anyway while providing no benefit to you whatsoever aside from one gym battle in Reborn where the field effect benefits the gym leader's Ghost Pokemon but also Electric types as well.
Pokemon Omega Emerald had a really nice difficulty curve. A lot of the boss fights fully encouraged you to assemble counters to specific threats, and the fact that all of the gym leaders have full 6-mon teams is a welcome challenge, but the game never seems like it's completely screwing you over (Wallace's redone team is kind of pushing it though).

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Bydoless posted:

Just enforcing the standard multiplayer rules would dramatically change the average difficulty of the game. Potions and the like only usable outside of battle, no precognitive switching ever. Balance all hold items to refresh themselves after the battle, and gate them somehow other than BP at the end of the game so you can actually put them to use. Eliminate the totally trash trainer lineups like "6 Magikarps lol" but don't make everything some ball-breaking encounter so the thing still has some kind of pacing. It still wouldn't exactly be "legitimately difficult" but it would be a lot harder.

On the other hand the Totem battles in SuMo did a pretty good job of introducing opponent-only benefits and turning them into a nice challenge that didn't feel broken.

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

As someone who enjoys reading fan fiction, yes but pokemon has one the worst trash to actual quality work ratios of any series.
It Takes a Team To Raise a Trainer Is a charmingly slice of life that keeps the cheery tone of pokemon and actualy thinks about what living in the pokemon world would be like. It is surprisingly well written.

Making it Big Is about as dark as you can go without pokemon fics turning to garbage and its merely the story of a girl under the poverty line becoming a trainer with her trusty rattata to make money for her family. Its pretty charming.

Ashes of the past is the big one, and its stupid mindless fun.

Other than that there is nothing that I can actually recommend, pokemon fan fiction is a wasteland of edgelords, special snowflakes, and terrible writing even compared to normal fanfiction.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I think the Totem battles were really well done, although Lusamine's Totem Clefable can go gently caress itself. Something I've noticed is that while everyone has a Totem boss that beat the poo poo out of them, it's different for everyone; I got rekt by Totem Wishiwashi, but I've seen people complaining about Totem Lurantis or Totem Mimikyu as well. It's somewhat similar to the Eidolon fights in FF13, all of which are difficult for various reasons, but who finds which one difficult is pretty eclectic (personally I hate Odin and Hechatonchaire).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Having a Dartrix with Razor Leaf and Work Up helped a lot with dealing with Totem Wishiwoshi, even after it brought in an Alomamola to spam Heal Pulse and Helping Hand.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Also, while most of the designs have been really goddamn bad, and these two new ludicrous 'mons are exactly that, I'm kind of waiting to see what's up with the legendaries. It's not like GF has never released really loving dumb stuff even outside of legendaries - Wobuffet (and Shadow Tag) comes to mind, as does loving Stealth Rock. That's an entry hazard that should have been removed the next generation after it was introduced, not still around. Note I'm fully aware Uranium has been consistently bad with these setups as opposed to just the occasional misstep, but GF is not exactly sparkling clean either.

eh, the legendaries are tame enough that it's mostly non-issue not to mention like half of them are still being worked on.

when we get near gym 6, we meet the most broken pokemon, as in you must have an answer to it or your entire team gets sweeped with 540 power moves.

infact, it almost feels that the three brokenmon thus far were infact made that way in part just to counter this pokemon.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 28, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Added Space posted:

Here's one I linked a while back. It's not narrative, but I think it's interesting.

The Natural History of Pokemon

ldragon posted:

As someone who enjoys reading fan fiction, yes but pokemon has one the worst trash to actual quality work ratios of any series.
It Takes a Team To Raise a Trainer Is a charmingly slice of life that keeps the cheery tone of pokemon and actualy thinks about what living in the pokemon world would be like. It is surprisingly well written.

Making it Big Is about as dark as you can go without pokemon fics turning to garbage and its merely the story of a girl under the poverty line becoming a trainer with her trusty rattata to make money for her family. Its pretty charming.

Ashes of the past is the big one, and its stupid mindless fun.

Other than that there is nothing that I can actually recommend, pokemon fan fiction is a wasteland of edgelords, special snowflakes, and terrible writing even compared to normal fanfiction.

Thanks for the recs!

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Pokemon fanfics reminds me of the time I thought about doing one along the lines of the Truman Show, except the MC is Truman.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

beru04 posted:

Pokemon fanfics reminds me of the time I thought about doing one along the lines of the Truman Show, except the MC is Truman.

I mean, the Truman Show is a very accurate representation of basically any videogame.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the theory where the entirety of every Pokemon game is an elaborate The-Village-style hoax put on by adults to teach their children self-sufficiency is a fairly common one, since I've heard it before and I don't really talk about Pokemon online much

or possibly a Westworld-style theme park your mom has brought you to, or adventure summer camp

Every game is a series of adults basically doing the equivalent of pretending to struggle valiantly and eventually lose against a little kid in an arm-wrestling match; there's a team of costumed villains whose scientifically-dubious plans can be foiled by an 11-year-old making his pet lizard do tricks; your mom is always oddly excited to have you leave home and be placed under dangerous circumstances, but if you pass out in a cave you always wake up just fine in the nurse's office; the water is dyed a deep blue like the water hazards at mini-golf courses, etc etc

While you're out exploring dungeons and defeating villains, your mom is relaxing at the spa having a daytime cocktail and hoping you manage to beat the Elite Four before her stay is finished or she'll have to book some more time here and that ain't cheap

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 28, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think pokemon is a fun game series for kids and adults making dumb fan theories about it secretly being hosed up, is an insanely stupid thing

id rather read some 12 year old's sincere fanfic about how badass mewtwo is

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think pokemon is a fun game series for kids and adults making dumb fan theories about it secretly being hosed up, is an insanely stupid thing

id rather read some 12 year old's sincere fanfic about how badass mewtwo is

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mewtwo is badass, yeah

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Endorph posted:

id rather read some 12 year old's sincere fanfic about how reshiram is his wife

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Mewtwo is very badass imo

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Justin is a treasure :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Endorph posted:

As discussed earlier in the thread I don't think it's 'secretly' hosed up, and the last few games (Black thru SuMo) have had a trend towards progressively darker stories. Pokemon has pretty much always had a dark undertone to it, but it's definitely at its best when that's an undertone, rather than blatantly put out there (see the 'atmosphere' conversation earlier in the thread).

• Locked thread