Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I get it why the Zora Girls get wet and fishy for him.

I really enjoyed riding him, swimming through the streams and shooting and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Emron posted:

I asked my local big box store when they'd have a switch in stock, and the guy actually laughed in my face. I've never been so completely owned in my life.

This happened to me too, but I haven't been bullied since I was a kid.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Like he was so almost comically upstanding I expected him to turn out to be a big coward or traitor or something, I was relieved he was just a cool dude

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was at Target grabbing the bokoblin amiibo and a guy in his 40's came up and asked if I had one. When I told him I pre-ordered he inquired if it really lives up to the hype as a console.

When I told him his wildest video games dreams have become true with Switch he wanted to know when he'd be able to get one.

When I told him "summer" I saw the look of regret.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

drat it Noodle show yourself!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What did the update do?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

This happened to me too, but I haven't been bullied since I was a kid.

They actually stuffed me in a Genius BarTM locker and made me buy gold plated cables to regain my freedom. It was humiliating

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Like he was so almost comically upstanding I expected him to turn out to be a big coward or traitor or something, I was relieved he was just a cool dude

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Waltzing Along posted:

What did the update do?

Stability poo poo, apparently. There was no functionality added.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Yo what's up?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Phantasium posted:

My guess is it's gonna be at 1 est instead of 12 just a few minutes!!!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Louisgod posted:

The only saving grace for the VA for Zelda is that they went the Xenoblade route and realized British accents are loving ace

See, the "British" accent was my problem with it, since it clearly was not genuine.

And it also bugged me that the king sounded like he was being voiced by a 30 year old. They couldn't find any old guys to hire?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've met plenty of older people who sound similar to the king. He sounded just fine to me.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just spent the morning kicking insane rear end with prince Sidon, can confirm dude is fully rad with a loving father that cares deeply for him and Mipha. Now my Switch sits unused losing value by the second as I clean up anal grease this gross rear end chug left everywhere.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've met plenty of older people who sound similar to the king. He sounded just fine to me.

I think this is the issue I see with a lot of people. The characters generally sound like normal people. Like, a knight or a king isn't always going to "sound like a knight or a king," because "knight" and "king" have no specific sound or quality, outside of maybe vocabulary. Everyone in the game sounds like they could be just normal people talking to each other, and some players don't want that. They want overacting. They want them to sound "special," even if they're not sure what that means.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't even remember what the king sounds like because his rear end was 80 hours ago.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I think this is the issue I see with a lot of people. The characters generally sound like normal people. Like, a knight or a king isn't always going to "sound like a knight or a king," because "knight" and "king" have no specific sound or quality, outside of maybe vocabulary. Everyone in the game sounds like they could be just normal people talking to each other, and some players don't want that. They want overacting. They want them to sound "special," even if they're not sure what that means.

No, I didn't need him to sound like a stereotypical king, I just didn't find that the timbre of his voice matched his character design at all. It was disconcerting to me immediately.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Takoluka posted:

I would have like the deku tree to sound like a giant rear end ancient tree god instead of bored old guy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A lot of people's favorite voice is Revali who is overacted as hell and sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon character.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So according to the Snake Pass twitter account, there's a problem and that's why it's not up on the eShop yet. Should be up later today.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A character whose entire personality seems to be based around bluster sounds exaggerated.

Imagine that.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
I felt like Zelda's VA got better as the game went on, especially when she wasn't doing the pleading "Link, you have to do the thing!" voice you get introduced to right off the bat.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

A character whose entire personality seems to be based around bluster sounds exaggerated.

Imagine that.

You're just arguing out of both sides of your mouth, now.

If some characters sound like normal people in your view, and others sound like cartoon characters, that's not good consistency.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

When Yunobo was stuck behind those rocks his panicked voice acting made me anxious while playing, so in terms of intended emotional effect that's pretty good work I think.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the acting is about the same as any of those dubbed japanese cartoons films, things, so at least it fits with the style.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mahoning posted:

So according to the Snake Pass twitter account, there's a problem and that's why it's not up on the eShop yet. Should be up later today.

Noodle is elusive

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah I don't know why Zelda sounds so emo man, just because she feels responsible for the destruction of her kingdom and almost everyone who lives there, as well as being stuck in her former home with an ancient formless evil for a hundred years.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

thexerox123 posted:

You're just arguing out of both sides of your mouth, now.

If some characters sound like normal people in your view, and others sound like cartoon characters, that's not good consistency.

Well, first of all, it was Takoluka who made the point that they sound like "normal" people, not me.

I just said that I've encountered people who sound just like the voice they used for the king. I've also found people who sound like the voice used for Revali but don't use the exaggeration in tone or flourish that his voice actor used for the character. Those are two different aspects to the performance; how this character "acts" vs. "does this kind of general voice suit someone who looks like this".

I mean, not all old people sound like, let's say, Patrick Stewart. Not all characters voiced by Patrick Stewart sound or act the same either, even if you can tell immediately it's him. There's more to voice acting than how a character "sounds".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

in other news

man, these custom switch docks

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Davoren posted:

Yeah I don't know why Zelda sounds so emo man, just because she feels responsible for the destruction of her kingdom and almost everyone who lives there, as well as being stuck in her former home with an ancient formless evil for a hundred years.

that all happened after all the memories; thus her emo predates those events.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TFRazorsaw posted:

in other news

man, these custom switch docks

Those better be functional USB ports and power/reset switches or I'm calling shenanigans

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

that all happened after all the memories; thus her emo predate those events.

You mean the events where she was chafing and depressed due to the weight of the responsibility hanging over her, her dead mother, her poor relationship with her father, and the fact she felt inadequate compared to Link?

Yeah, I can't imagine why she'd sound that way either.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
edit: ^^^ yeah!

nah still fits because she is going through not wanting to be the legendary princess everyone expects her to be and living up to the pre-convinced expectation of her heritage. at least thats what i got from that memory near lake hylia

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Link eat the frog

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Yeah I don't know why Zelda sounds so emo man, just because she can't live up to the legacy she was born to inherit and internally resents Link for just naturally awakening to his potential while she struggles to just understand why she's not fulfilling her destiny

e: beaten, rendering the joke null and void

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The voice acting in Zelda is just okay. It's a bit camp but not offensive.

I honestly wish it had more. I'm not done with the game yet but there's a few scenes I wish were also voice acted.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just said that I've encountered people who sound just like the voice they used for the king. I've also found people who sound like the voice used for Revali but don't use the exaggeration in tone or flourish that his voice actor used for the character. Those are two different aspects to the performance; how this character "acts" vs. "does this kind of general voice suit someone who looks like this".

Those people you encountered would be normal people. As opposed to cartoon characters. That's what I was referring to.

Obviously I've seen people in real life whose physical appearance is very different from what I expected based on their voice, but that's generally not a good feeling to invoke via voice acting.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's ok for a character to be "emo" when circumstances surrounding them justify it, IMO

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

He's right dude. Snipperclips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TFRazorsaw posted:

You mean the events where she was chafing and depressed due to the weight of the responsibility hanging over her, her dead mother, her poor relationship with her father, and the fact she felt inadequate compared to Link?

Yeah, I can't imagine why she'd sound that way either.

Her emo, by contrast, doesn't necessarily predate those events. Agreed.

• Locked thread