Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's really loving annoying when there's some huge crisis that has a really emotional bent to it and the other person is like, "beep boop that will cost us an extra $20 a month :geno:. be realistic. be prudent. you are not being realistic or prudent because you have fee-lings :geno:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

new phone who dis posted:

I tried explaining to her that keeping your emotions under control with someone you care about is actually a lot more difficult but it was like trying to explain calculus to my dog. Her brain just did not work like that. Not to get all bio-truthy but women typically operate on a much more emotional level and I think that's part of it. They want to know you're emotionally into it as much as they are. That conflicts directly with how a lot of men, myself included, were taught about how to be men. Something I learned from my dad is that there always needs to be someone in the situation who remains in control of themselves emotionally, and that has annoyed more than one of my past girlfriends. Still better than two out of control retards screaming at each other, though.

Trying to lampshade :biotruths: doesn't really help you when you're doing exactly that

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Trying to lampshade :biotruths: doesn't really help you when you're doing exactly that

They do though

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pick posted:

It's really loving annoying when there's some huge crisis that has a really emotional bent to it and the other person is like, "beep boop that will cost us an extra $20 a month :geno:. be realistic. be prudent. you are not being realistic or prudent because you have fee-lings :geno:"

Yeah I've heard that complaint before. My reaction to crisis is to try to suppress or avoid as much emotional response as possible to try and do the right thing and I've annoyed many an ex with that type of thing. Most of the time they end up agreeing with whatever conclusion I arrived at, they just need to work through the emotional process themselves before getting there. I've stopped giving advice in situations like that unless asked so there are less complaints because I realize it can be annoying. I'm not going to second-guess someone else's crisis management but if you ask me I'm for sure going to tell you what I think. Sometimes people just want to vent and have you nod your head, and I'm fine with that.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

TheScott2K posted:

Being unable to admit the difference between the sexes just hamstrings any productive conversation you could hope to have. It's possible to speak in general terms while knowing there are exceptions to every rule. It doesn't mean there is some nefarious plot afoot because someone says something bio-truthy.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the difference between the sexes is that men are emotionally retarded from transformers movies and women aren't

i was not even aware of the concept of empathy until I was like 20 and that changed my entire loving world. that poo poo works

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Fullhouse posted:

the difference between the sexes is that men are emotionally retarded from transformers movies and women aren't

i was not even aware of the concept of empathy until I was like 20 and that changed my entire loving world. that poo poo works

I watched an hour or so of that Transformers movie with Marky Mark in it and it made my life demonstrably worse even though I punched out before it ended.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

MF_James posted:

I would give either of my brothers my kidney (one of them is my half brother!) but we are a very close family hth

ironically i'm much more inclined to give either of my half-sisters my kidney than my brother

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fullhouse posted:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Fullhouse posted:

are you sure you're not just mentally handicapped in some form or another

Transformers is full of emotions, such as the feeling of triumph when Optimus Prime executes his surrendered enemy with a double tap.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah I watched 300 in theaters when I was 14 and it would've ruined me for life if I didn't make friends with women eventually

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I may be emotionally stunted but it's also possible to be too emotional. Nobody should be crying because a commercial gave them the feels. Even that Sara MccLachlan animal one. You know the one I'm talking about. GODDAMIT I AM NOT loving CRYING!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Being unable to admit the difference between the sexes just hamstrings any productive conversation you could hope to have. It's possible to speak in general terms while knowing there are exceptions to every rule. It doesn't mean there is some nefarious plot afoot because someone says something bio-truthy.

It turns out that how the sexes process emotions is, in large part, a function of how we are conditioned by society as we are raised.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Wait are you actually serious that you think liking lovely action movies is why people are emotionally stunted

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

i feel like there's a pretty big, and obvious once you've seen it, difference between making an effort to avoid just letting your emotions run away with you and using the word "logic" to try and pass off your runaway emotions and autism-grade flattened affect as objective correctness. Computer people are incredibly bad at the first and incredibly in love with the second one, though

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fullhouse posted:

im proud of u for accepting being retarded

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

fruit on the bottom posted:

It turns out that how the sexes process emotions is, in large part, a function of how we are conditioned by society as we are raised.

Which is itself based in biology but shhhhh don't tell the gender studies folks that!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Faffel posted:

Wait are you actually serious that you think liking lovely action movies is why people are emotionally stunted

yes this is a direct cause and effect from Rambo to emotional autism and there are no other factors from commonalities in upbringing or social bias that could cause the chicken to have existed before the egg in the first place

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Fullhouse posted:

yes this is a direct cause and effect from Rambo to emotional autism and there are no other factors from commonalities in upbringing or social bias that could cause the chicken to have existed before the egg in the first place

Rambo is actually a good post-Vietnam cultural monument and has a worthy message you shitter

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The takes on this page are absolutely SCORCHING hot 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Women are different from men. Strange but true

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
This thread really takes a dive after lunch

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
John Rambo stole my autismal soul.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

This thread really takes a dive after lunch

I will convince the bad posters not to disagree with you until you've had your afternoon nap

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If men fighting in the Civil War and the 30 Years War and World War I and the rest of the world's most godforaken horrific conflicts could write heartfelt, emotional passages and today's man can only manage a "u wan some fuk?" before he melts down into a rage then maybe we should examine how modern marketing and advertising forces mold people into consumers who are no longer competent to solicit and receive comfort and wellbeing from other human beings.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Maybe when someone's dog dies and he seems sad you shouldn't punch him in the stomach and call him a "homo"

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Pick posted:

If men fighting in the Civil War and the 30 Years War and World War I and the rest of the world's most godforaken horrific conflicts could write heartfelt, emotional passages and today's man can only manage a "u wan some fuk?" before he melts down into a rage then maybe we should examine how modern marketing and advertising forces mold people into consumers who are no longer competent to solicit and receive comfort and wellbeing from other human beings.

I can assure you that civil war soldiers definitely wan'd some fuk as well. Also get off tinder

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

Another startling accurate view on modern men by Pick.

Truly, where have the poets gone?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

My [25 f] roommate / best friend [24 f]. Her hygiene habits are becoming an issue. Not sure how to discuss.

quote:

Hey folks -- I don't usually post here (or anywhere, really), but I'm kind-of at a loss. "Cindy" and I have been friends since we met back in 2010, and while things haven't always been sunshine and rainbows, we're pretty close. Literally, her room is right next door to mine & my spouse's. We've lived together off-and-on for about a year now, in a big house with a bunch of other people. But due to some issues with another roommate, the household is disbanding, and the three of us (Cindy, me, and my spouse) have decided to move into a small apartment together to bounce back from the awful financial decision this house wound up being.

The thing is, she stinks. Like, sour-crotch-sweat stinks. It hasn't always been this way, but she's been really depressed lately so she hasn't been keeping up on her showering. On top of that, she's recently started wearing leggings, but won't wear underwear with them because underwear lines make her feel weird or something. The result has been pretty nauseating. Fortunately, in this house, it's been pretty easy to get away from it, but the apartment we're going for is TINY. No escape.

As bad as she is, though, her room is worse. It's full of garbage, and her dirty clothes, and her dirty self, and every time she opens the door there's a big POOF of nasty sour gross air. Again, not a major issue in such a huge house, but in a tiny apartment, smells tend to linger.

On top of all of this, she seems to have a hand-washing problem? Everything she touches winds up greasy, sticky, or both. Like, we can always tell if she's the one who put the dishes away because there will be grease smudges all over the (clean) glasses. I've been trying to figure out how all of the handles in the kitchen have been getting covered in gunk lately, and it wasn't until yesterday when I saw her digging into a (communal) chocolate cake with her hands and then opening the fridge with those same nasty hands that I finally figured it out.

I know the obvious answer here is to just tear off the band-aid and tell her she smells, but she's the most sensitive person I've ever met. Like, any criticisms of her behavior or anything and she just shuts down or (worse) starts sobbing. I know she's been depressed lately, and that depression and not taking care of yourself go hand-in-hand, but I can't deal with the nasty, you guys. I can't. I'm just looking for gentle ways to break this news to her. I know reddit doesn't usually do gentle, but I don't really know where else to turn.

tl;dr: Dirty stinky roommate. Is super sensitive (emotionally). How do I gently tell her to wash her nasty rear end?

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a MRA PUA fucktard and I love rape AMA

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

In this world there are both people who are smart and have the ability to express themselves despite their experiences and handicaps, and there are those who are not.

WHOA.

If the men who went through WW1 could see war as an entertaining crucible of manhood, the flames upon which we are forged as individuals, why can't these modern-day PTSD bitch nigga Afghanistan vets not see it the same way lmao what happened to men

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

WampaLord posted:

Another startling accurate view on modern men by Pick.

Truly, where have the poets gone?

Have you heard of a little guy called Robert Frost? Wrote a poem by the name The Road Not Taken? Pretty good, you should look it up.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
really good conversation everyone's having, sure beats the hell out of actual content!!

I [28F] asked my boyfriend [29M] of 4 years when he's going to propose, he said he's waiting for me to propose to him

quote:

My boyfriend and I had the marriage talk about a year ago where we both agreed marriage was the next step for us and we would be engaged soon. Looking back, I don't remember him actually saying anything about the proposal itself. A few days ago I asked him when he would propose to me and he simply responded he's waiting for me to propose to him. He said he wants to be engaged and married, but won't propose since it makes him uncomfortable and was somewhat vague about it.

I'm not a hardcore traditionalist or anything but every single married or engaged woman I know had their man propose to her, and since I was a young girl I've been looking forward to my proposal. I expressed this to my boyfriend and he said rather curtly he's going to keep waiting until I propose. I don't have an issue proposing, because I want to get married to him more than have him propose to me, but I wonder if his refusal to propose points to any deeper problem. I wonder if he's doing this as some protest against gender norms or if he's genuinely uncomfortable with proposing, but he won't talk about it further so I'm at a loss.

Do I just propose to him or have a serious conversation about this?

tl;dr: Boyfriend is waiting for me to propose to him.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
In the 1700's, women were considered the hornier gender.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pick posted:

Usually when you observe a culture from years in the future you only get the distilled good or bad parts of it rather than the experience you would get being completely immersed in it. There's a reason those letters survived instead of all the crudely sexual suggestive missives and dirty pictures that undoubtedly swamped the same military postal system at the time. Roman graffiti is remarkably similar to the modern day "u wan some fuk?" mongoloids.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Faffel posted:

In this world there are both people who are smart and have the ability to express themselves despite their experiences and handicaps, and there are those who are not.

WHOA.

If the men who went through WW1 could see war as an entertaining crucible of manhood, the flames upon which we are forged as individuals, why can't these modern-day PTSD bitch nigga Afghanistan vets not see it the same way lmao what happened to men

Woah no man it's not that at all, their letters are almost all "I miss you I'm horrified I want to come home I'm always crying"

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

That's a little later on. I just think the idea that the fundamental character of man or woman has changed is incredibly silly, when it comes down to the inherent differences between individuals.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 28, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I may be emotionally stunted but it's also possible to be too emotional. Nobody should be crying because a commercial gave them the feels. Even that Sara MccLachlan animal one. You know the one I'm talking about. GODDAMIT I AM NOT loving CRYING!
If that ad does not provoke sad feelings in you then I have bad news: there is a good chance that you have no soul and are a robot.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

Woah no man it's not that at all, their letters are almost all "I miss you I'm horrified I want to come home I'm always crying"

if you're just longing for that heartwarming PTSD experience there are loads of Iraq and Afgan vets ready to give it to ya

Faffel posted:

That's a little later on. I just think the idea that the fundamental character of man or woman has changed is incredibly silly, when it comes down to the inherent differences between individuals.

people are malleable enough that you can acculture them to just about anything if you start early, and socialization is powerful enough that by the time they reach adulthood it makes zero fuckin' functional difference whether they're "naturally" the way they are or learned it from those around them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Guys guys relax, even women can be retarded

My boyfriend [28m] feels bad because I [28f] told him about my ex [29m] Relationships

quote:

10 points 107 comments submitted 1 year ago by LaraLi- to r/relationships
Hi there,

my boyfriend is currently kind of depressed because I talked to him about my ex. Me and my ex used to be together for about 8 months 4 years ago but after that still had sex a few times before I met my current boyfriend of 2 /12 years.

They are totally opposite from one another – my current boyfriend is a very level-headed and hard working guy that's very humble and compassionate, while my ex used to be kind of a slacker who always pushed things aside, got nothing done and mostly didn't care about anybody but himself. That's also why our past relationship didn't last long, I mostly dated him because I was enamored of his looks and tried to look past his character flaws which didn't work out in the end.

We talked about our past relationships recently out of curiosity and the people he dated were far worse from what I experienced (he dated a woman that organized insurance frauds and run ponzi schemes etc), so we talked about everything and I thought I couldn't top his stories with mine, so I was quite frank about my ex. So I told him exactly that – I really loved the way he looked and having sex with him was great but otherwise he was a complete waste of my time (I told him this after he also said that he had great sex with his ex but it didn't bother me). He then got curious and asked me all kinds of things about him and our past sexual life, how he looked, how big his penis was etc. I was honest about it – my ex was a tall guy who was naturally fit, lean but muscular and and had a very large penis. My current boyfriend is pretty skinny with a beautiful face and has an average penis. At first it didn't seem to bother him, so we also talked about his ex (she had bigger breasts than me, was more slender etc). Then he asked about how we had sex etc. and I told him at which I kind of saw that me got a bit defensive and bothered. My ex and me had sex a lot more than me and my current boyfriend, about once every day and I explained to him that it was a physical relationship more than anything else and having sex was basically the only thing we had in common. Then he asked „was he better than me?“ and I wanted to end the whole discussion and told him that people are not comparable to each other in that aspect and we kind of stopped, with me trying to come to another topic.

If I'm honest – the sex I had with my ex was better speaking from a purely physical standpoint. I had orgasms multiple times every time we had sex and with my current boyfriend I sometimes don't experience them at all. But having good sex is not my top priority when it comes to a relationship and I'm not dissatisfied whatsoever with my current boyfriend in that regard, it's just not how it used to be which is ok for me because I am a more intimate person that prefers emotional bonding more than physical. But I think I hit some kind of weak spot and If I told him the truth like I did here he will probably think I'm trying to do a half-assed cop out just to re-assure him his worth while secretly thinking otherwise.

Is this kind of „trauma“ common in men and how can I get my feelings across properly, whitout sounding patronizing or hurting him even more?

tl;dr: I talked with my boyfriend about my past sexual experiences and he feels inadequate. How do I get across that sex is not my top priority whithout sounding patronizing?

"Oh, my ex? The buff model with a huge donger? Yeah, we had mind blowing sex everyday. But I like you too, babe.

Why are you crying, babe?

Babe, why are you leaving?

Jeez, must have hit a weak spot of some sort, who knows"