Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

Lol I just got a letter letting me know I'll have no power for 10 hours on the weekend utopia comes out.

That's basically the ultimate dick move from your power company.

I assume you're renting a generator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

Lol I just got a letter letting me know I'll have no power for 10 hours on the weekend utopia comes out.
Someone at the power company wants a leg up on the new achievements.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Destroy a few mining stations or park your fleet in orbit.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Rent a hotel room.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Run an extension cord to your neighbor's house if he has power, that's what I did when something similar happened to me. I just ran the cord in through my window to my power strip so I had my computer (which doubled as a heater since it was like 14 degrees that night) alarm clock and light.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Any chance Utopia could release a week early in honor of Tomb Sweeping day? :-P Long weekend this weekend would be a great opportunity to build dyson spheres.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So I just realized an obvious question, which has probably already been answered - if hive minds ignore happiness, does that mean they also ignore habitability? Because that seems a little off.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

uXs posted:

Rent a hotel room.

An idea that is practical, costs like ~$100 and does not involve squalor or weird convolutions?

Get out of here with this nonsense. It's like you're downplaying this dude's suffering for the 10-24 hours right after Utopia, which he can fix by going to a friend's house or hotel or any other solution that involves "not being where the power isn't."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Strudel Man posted:

So I just realized an obvious question, which has probably already been answered - if hive minds ignore happiness, does that mean they also ignore habitability? Because that seems a little off.

I don't think Hive Minds ignore happiness exactly, they just don't do factions. Which is close to the same thing, but Pop productivity would still be modified by habitability capping happiness.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think hivemind pops are locked at 50% happiness regardless of modifiers UNLESS the habitability is lower, then they're locked at the habitability.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
What we've seen really makes Hive Minds look like a good beginner's race. Simple, straightforward, even the civics are a little bland.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

i told my uncle at paradox about this and he said they'll delay utopia for a week just for you

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Talkie Toaster posted:

What we've seen really makes Hive Minds look like a good beginner's race. Simple, straightforward, even the civics are a little bland.

If you're tired of dealing with ethics divergence and factions coming up and not being able to purge or resettle pops, you must be a noob. Looking for that simple, straightforward gameplay for your noob rear end.

I disagree dude, I think you might be trying to downplay hive minds, are you like not excited for them or something?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm honestly more interested in dealing with hive minds rather than playing as them. It seems like they excise/simplify a lot of the elements that are getting fleshed out in this expansion. There'll still be war and diplomacy, but those are notably not getting much new stuff in Utopia.

I suppose they'll probably have their own unique events and stuff, though.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 28, 2017

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Talkie Toaster posted:

Unless there was some surprise teaser that I missed, we haven't seen any Hive Mind civics at all. Or very many of the regular civics either.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

There have been teasers scattered around Wiz tweets and dev diaries. Also, Daniel Moregård has been Tweeting some recently.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

i told my uncle at paradox about this and he said they'll delay utopia for a week just for you

Can't he just bring it forward?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Swedish Horror posted:

Unless there was some surprise teaser that I missed, we haven't seen any Hive Mind civics at all. Or very many of the regular civics either.

There are several civics in this post, taken from the stream.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stream-q-a-2017-02-23.1001224/

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Rakthar posted:

An idea that is practical, costs like ~$100 and does not involve squalor or weird convolutions?

Get out of here with this nonsense. It's like you're downplaying this dude's suffering for the 10-24 hours right after Utopia, which he can fix by going to a friend's house or hotel or any other solution that involves "not being where the power isn't."

are you seriously getting pissy because someone mildly complained about a power cut

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

are you seriously getting pissy because someone mildly complained about a power cut

How do you interpret agreeing with a poster that responded "Go somewhere else" as getting pissy?

Were you actually moved by Baronjutter's plight to where you are glad that he got useful advice and sad that I might have implied otherwise? Or are you just being contrary for no reason? Is this really worth arguing about?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The power outage is Sunday and I'm taking Friday off so I'll have friday-sat to play enough to realize the DLC is good but war still sucks. The power outage on sunday only interrupts the time that I'd be coming here to write out what I think is still wrong with the game and how it could be fixed and I know it's a radical idea but we need to get rid of the space part of the game entirely. So it's no loss to anyone.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

The power outage is Sunday and I'm taking Friday off so I'll have friday-sat to play enough to realize the DLC is good but war still sucks. The power outage on sunday only interrupts the time that I'd be coming here to write out what I think is still wrong with the game and how it could be fixed and I know it's a radical idea but we need to get rid of the space part of the game entirely. So it's no loss to anyone.

I'm glad that when people are unable to play stuff on release date, they inform others and explain why they will be unable. It matters to me. In the 17 years that I've been enjoying Something Awful posts, it's the carefully updated spreadsheet of "reasons why people can't play the game on release" that I most cherish.

It's VERY rude to point this out and I want to thank Jeb Bush for going to bat for all the suffering posters lmao.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Rakthar posted:

How do you interpret agreeing with a poster that responded "Go somewhere else" as getting pissy?

Were you actually moved by Baronjutter's plight to where you are glad that he got useful advice and sad that I might have implied otherwise? Or are you just being contrary for no reason? Is this really worth arguing about?

you could've just said "yes"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rakthar posted:

I'm glad that when people are unable to play stuff on release date, they inform others and explain why they will be unable. It matters to me. In the 17 years that I've been enjoying Something Awful posts, it's the carefully updated spreadsheet of "reasons why people can't play the game on release" that I most cherish.

It's VERY rude to point this out and I want to thank Jeb Bush for going to bat for all the suffering posters lmao.

Are you on google calendar? We should share calendars so I can keep you up to date.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

you could've just said "yes"

Thanks for the "u mad bro" and then the "could have just said yes" response, it is a new and fresh approach.

quote:

Are you on google calendar? We should share calendars so I can keep you up to date.

I will unironically add you on google and argue about this loving videogame, you'll regret it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

There have been teasers scattered around Wiz tweets and dev diaries. Also, Daniel Moregård has been Tweeting some recently.

I really like Inwards Perfection. Nice to see that pacifist xenophobes are getting some love.

e: The one that gives Unity from farms sounds potentially ridiculous.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The thing is that with extra production from happiness, frontier clinics/hospitals, paradise domes, and orbital hydroponics pacifists don't really need farms later on. You'll probably have only one actual farm per planet (I played a pacifist game last week and had no farms on most planets, but that was with a few robots per planet). Unless you build extra for the influence/speeding up growth, of course. It's probably really nice early though, and I suppose you can just reform out of it later.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Staltran posted:

The thing is that with extra production from happiness, frontier clinics/hospitals, paradise domes, and orbital hydroponics pacifists don't really need farms later on. You'll probably have only one actual farm per planet (I played a pacifist game last week and had no farms on most planets, but that was with a few robots per planet). Unless you build extra for the influence/speeding up growth, of course. It's probably really nice early though, and I suppose you can just reform out of it later.

For doing the tile micro, is there an easy way to see base / underlying tile yields? When my planet fills up I often redo the tiles to remove +food stuff and replace it with +minerals or hospitals, paradise domes, etc. It takes a while to find +food/+mineral tiles, which usually get converted from farm to mine. You also have to hunt around for the tiles with no bonus as a good spot to build the +happy or -ethics divergence spots.

With food being global that will be less of a concern, but I'm wondering is there an easy way to see base tile yield or do you have to click through the tile details and scroll to the bottom?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

edit: previous post says it better than I did.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bloody Pom posted:

I really like Inwards Perfection. Nice to see that pacifist xenophobes are getting some love.

e: The one that gives Unity from farms sounds potentially ridiculous.

Yeah the most fun I had lately is from some form of pacifist xenophobe. It's a good "turtle" build.

Also yeah, I'd generally have maybe 1 farm on huge planets with a lot of humans. But i'd generally just have the colony base, hospital on top of a +2 bonus, and have the organic population low enough that the lack of farms could support them all. With everyone at 100% happiness that was pretty productive.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rakthar posted:

For doing the tile micro, is there an easy way to see base / underlying tile yields? When my planet fills up I often redo the tiles to remove +food stuff and replace it with +minerals or hospitals, paradise domes, etc. It takes a while to find +food/+mineral tiles, which usually get converted from farm to mine. You also have to hunt around for the tiles with no bonus as a good spot to build the +happy or -ethics divergence spots.

With food being global that will be less of a concern, but I'm wondering is there an easy way to see base tile yield or do you have to click through the tile details and scroll to the bottom?

Not as far as I know, it's also annoying if you want to replace some mines with power plants later on to keep up with upkeep. Though I guess with consumer goods you'll want to do that less. Would be still nice to have a toggle on the planet screen or something that showed you them all. Something like replacing the yield info with the tile bonuses color-coded to tell you if they're suppressed.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Is anyone else having issues with sectors building fortresses. It's killing my energy usage and I have to go back and delete them all...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zig-Zag posted:

Is anyone else having issues with sectors building fortresses. It's killing my energy usage and I have to go back and delete them all...

Turn the option off?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zig-Zag posted:

Yeah just don't let them build them. Fortresses are next to useless anyway, you really lose nothing by turning that off.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rakthar posted:

Rakthar posted:

Rakthar posted:

Thanks for the "u mad bro" and then the "could have just said yes" response, it is a new and fresh approach.

I will unironically add you on google and argue about this loving videogame, you'll regret it.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Baronjutter posted:

Laptop + Electric Car + Inverter

"Sorry Honey, you can't take the car, I'm conquering the galaxy"

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you guys phase out corvettes and destroyers later in the game? If so, when do you do that?

I read online that a lot of people go for that tactic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dongattack posted:

Do you guys phase out corvettes and destroyers later in the game? If so, when do you do that?

I read online that a lot of people go for that tactic.

Disclaimer: I only play single player where perfect fleet composition does not matter.

I just stop building corvettes and destroyers when I can build cruisers and then they inevitably attrit away from my fleets.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

Disclaimer: I only play single player where perfect fleet composition does not matter.

I just stop building corvettes and destroyers when I can build cruisers and then they inevitably attrit away from my fleets.

That's ok, i only play single player too. I'll do the same then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Once I get battleships I stop building corvettes, and make equal numbers of the other classes. Every ship carries kinetic artillery with a flak turret or two, with spinal focused arc emitters on the battleships.

I might play around with making the destroyers into anti-corvette ships with two flaks and two railguns, but artillery already works.

Edit: during the initial approach phase of combat, the battleship arc emitters are actually the most effective anti-corvette weapon. 100% tracking and 100% accuracy :allears:

Edit 2: I use the ship power plants mod so everything has more shields, which makes the shield penetration of the arc emitter much more useful

GotLag fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 29, 2017

• Locked thread