Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Speaking of the G5+, my local Best Buy has them in stock and was willing to sell me their $229 2gb version today (they officially release Friday). Don't think any stores will carry the 4gb models though :(

Edit: vvvvvvvv Yes they did!

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

cage-free egghead posted:

Speaking of the G5+, my local Best Buy has them in stock and was willing to sell me their $229 2gb version today (they officially release Friday). Don't think any stores will carry the 4gb models though :(

Did they have them on display? I wanted to play with one before dropping the cash on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Go home HTC U'r dunk.
http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/28/htc-u-ocean/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Ugh, "instead of clicking on physical buttons to raise or lower volume, you simply slide your finger along the phone’s edge". Had that crap on a T-Mobile Dash many, many years ago and it's awful. When you pull your phone out of your pocket you'll trigger it all the time and just generally have no idea what volume level your phone is set to. It's really amazing how manufacturers have to just keep loving with basic things like buttons. I'm still mad most phones got rid of a slide switch to silence everything. And don't get me started on headphone jacks. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm more amazed with the launching of a new flagship so soon after the last with better specs but even more odd design choices.

Plus, the naming. We have the U Ultra, what should we name the better phone? U? Sure, let's just shorten the name of the last one, won't cause any confusion.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Edit: My bluetooh issue magically fixed itself by turning on randomly.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 28, 2017

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The additions to names like "Ultra", "Plus", "Max", "Pro", etc have stood for anything from a battery being a little larger to the phone being physically bigger. HTC done gone goofed with this lol

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

bull3964 posted:

I'm more amazed with the launching of a new flagship so soon after the last with better specs but even more odd design choices.

Plus, the naming. We have the U Ultra, what should we name the better phone? U? Sure, let's just shorten the name of the last one, won't cause any confusion.
HTC has some impressively bad engineers. And/or some really big shovels to keep burying their heads in the sand with.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

My bluetooth decided today to stop working and now won't work at all. I had it connected to my car this morning on my drive to work. Connected and played just fine. Went home for lunch few hours later and my bluetooth won't even turn on. When I go into the settings and toggle it on once I changed what window I have open it immediately toggles back to off. When I try to toggle it on no list of located devices show up or the ability to add them.

I did chat with their support they suggested to reboot in safe mode. Problem remained. They suggested I do a factory reset (which if I need too I will later when I get the time).

Does anyone have any other suggestion to fix this?

Phone: Nexus 6P 7.1.1 with March 5 security patch.
I haven't installed any new apps within the past few days or made any change to the phone.

This sounds crazy but I just fixed a bluetooth issue where my bluetooth headset wouldn't connect for call audio, so maybe it will work for you?

Go into Location Settings, then the 3 dots to pull up more options, then scanning, then turn off Bluetooth Scanning and try again. If that fixes it you should be able to go back i nand turn that back on.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Internet Explorer posted:

This sounds crazy but I just fixed a bluetooth issue where my bluetooth headset wouldn't connect for call audio, so maybe it will work for you?

Go into Location Settings, then the 3 dots to pull up more options, then scanning, then turn off Bluetooth Scanning and try again. If that fixes it you should be able to go back i nand turn that back on.

Yea it's pretty weird never happened before. But magically without me doing anything, but playing a game, my bluetooh turned on and staying on. No idea what the hell but I'll accept it.

Thanks for the that info.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Samsung'd

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

:lol:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/27/galaxy-note7-will-return-refurbished-device/
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15072560/samsung-note-7-refurbished-device-recyling-announced
https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...l-0813-11000279

“The objective of introducing refurbished devices is solely to reduce and minimize any environmental impact,” Samsung told The Verge in a statement. It also hinted that the phone may be renamed entirely when more details are unveiled. “The product details including the name, technical specification and price range will be announced when the device is available. Samsung will not be offering refurbished Galaxy Note 7 devices for rent or sale in the US.”

Rest in piss, Note 7 Rebels

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Ugh, "instead of clicking on physical buttons to raise or lower volume, you simply slide your finger along the phone’s edge". Had that crap on a T-Mobile Dash many, many years ago and it's awful. When you pull your phone out of your pocket you'll trigger it all the time and just generally have no idea what volume level your phone is set to. It's really amazing how manufacturers have to just keep loving with basic things like buttons. I'm still mad most phones got rid of a slide switch to silence everything. And don't get me started on headphone jacks. :(

OnePlus 3 actually has a slider switch.. and a headphone jack.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

OnePlus 3 actually has a slider switch.. and a headphone jack.

This OnePlus phone is sounding better and better the more I hear of it.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2017

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

RZA Encryption posted:

This OnePlus phone is sounding better and better the more I hear of it.

Wait til you hear about how much RAM it has!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bronin posted:

Wait til you hear about how much RAM it has!

A yuge amount of RAM. The best RAM.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Not related, but related. :
https://consumerist.com/2017/03/28/samsung-store-catches-fire-cause-unknown/
Samsung store at AMK Hub catches fire, surrounding stores temporarily closed

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That the article is a pretty broad leak based on some old data.

Think of the HTC 10, with U styling (but not the extra screen) and "some" squeezability.

Agreed HTC seems to not have any idea on what to do next, and fails to actually go all in on a new design instead of playing it safe with just a dab of not quite all Samsing/iPhone copying. I miss old HTC.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

deong posted:

Not related, but related. :
https://consumerist.com/2017/03/28/samsung-store-catches-fire-cause-unknown/
Samsung store at AMK Hub catches fire, surrounding stores temporarily closed

At this point just make their logo the new fire hazard symbol.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

mod sassinator posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh jesus just got my Z5 back from warranty all factory reset and it looks like Android 7 locked down the ADB command that let you turn off the horrible, horrible, pointless, horrible Sony Small Apps Launcher bloat on the multitasking screen.

Either I'm going to have to root or I'm going to have to downgrade to 6, kill it, and upgrade again.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It came from Reddit!

quote:

OPO is a product from 2.5 years ago. Let it go.
I told you the basic fact that Qualcomm quick charge phones are not completely compliant with usb c, something you bitch about OnePlus doing. If you want to know the exact technical details of the USBC spec you can learn on your own time.
You are criticizing OnePlus for a violation of a spec that everyone else also violates. You are a hypocrite.
Oh no! A setting! (in regards to OP not enabling USB Host mode by default) It's the end of the world!
Grow up and stop complaining about things no one else is.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So what is a good VR device for a Pixel XL?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Samsung Gear VR

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Nexus 5 on the left, Pixel on the right

Photos taken with the Pixel just a bit further out are fine for focusing.

I did some searching but couldn't find anything about the minimum focus distance and I don't know how to calculate it from the focal length (link says it's ~28mm.)

Did all the usual troubleshooting stuff (safe mode, Open Camera, reinstalling) and it fixed a blurry photo issue, but not up close. Does the Pixel just have a worse camera than the Nexus 5 for close ups? (Nexus 5 is 30.4mm for reference)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rapeface posted:

Does the Pixel just have a worse camera than the Nexus 5 for close ups?
I don't know anything about photography specs but in my experience, yes, the 6P and Pixel all have quite large minimum focal distances on the cameras. Larger than the GNex, N4 and N5, based on my memories of them, as I never had any issues with this until I got the 6P. I have checked multiple 6P and Pixel test devices at work and they all do it. The Pixel is perhaps fractionally better than the 6P but there isn't much difference.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 29, 2017

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

rapeface posted:

Nexus 5 on the left, Pixel on the right

Photos taken with the Pixel just a bit further out are fine for focusing.

I did some searching but couldn't find anything about the minimum focus distance and I don't know how to calculate it from the focal length (link says it's ~28mm.)

Did all the usual troubleshooting stuff (safe mode, Open Camera, reinstalling) and it fixed a blurry photo issue, but not up close. Does the Pixel just have a worse camera than the Nexus 5 for close ups? (Nexus 5 is 30.4mm for reference)

The Pixel photo looks like it was taken a bit closer to me. The Coca Cola logo is bigger.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
It wasn't. That's just from me sticking two photos together on my phone (I measured it).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
The pixel does have an annoyingly long minimum focus distance. But since it's measured in mm, it's not that big of a deal. Hold the phone slightly further from the subject and zoom in after the pic is taken.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ilkhan posted:

The pixel does have an annoyingly long minimum focus distance. But since it's measured in mm, it's not that big of a deal. Hold the phone slightly further from the subject and zoom in after the pic is taken.

What does this mean? Is it a joke? Am I a joke?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

How about that galaxy s8? There's a dock you can plug it into to use it as a computer. I'm sure Samsung did a good job this time. Anyone else ready to give Samsung another chance?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

Am I a joke?

No you're a mod

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

But since it's measured in mm, it's not that big of a deal

Americans

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

How about that galaxy s8? There's a dock you can plug it into to use it as a computer. I'm sure Samsung did a good job this time. Anyone else ready to give Samsung another chance?

A 5.8" screen for the GS8 and 6.2" screen for the GS8+. Hopefully that means little to no bezel and starts a trend towards that. Sick of these chins on my phones.

Edit: http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/15087530/samsung-galaxy-s8-announced-features-release-date-video-specifications

Called it. Phone looks pretty slick.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 29, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No bezel looks cool but is is a usability nightmare.

Sure hope Samsung nailed false touch detection near the edges!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Bixby Button Built on Bezel

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Mii Mix still holds my interest on a mostly bezel-less design. Since the only bezel is the lower part of the phone that would be in your palm anyway. Unfortunately getting that phone to work in the US fully appears to be a pipe dream. No idea why US carriers wouldn't want to take a stab at something that sexy.

The S8 and G6 appear nearly the same bezel wise, with the G8 having a bit newer hardware inside. Look forward to seeing what HTC and Google can pull out for the Pixel 2 though since HTC themselves can't seem to design anything worth a dam that isn't based on iPhone and S6/7 looks.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RZA Encryption posted:

Anyone else ready to give Samsung another chance?
I want to say no. But knowing how loving dumb the average consumer is... yes they are definitely ready to buy another pocket bomb with reversed capacative buttons, a half assed new digital assistant, and terrible bloatware for $950

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

lmao