Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Gosetsu: Roe, huge Hyur, or something in between? (Thank you based Yoshi-P for Master Asia and a 'de gozaru'. :allears:)

Gosetsu is clearly a half-roe half-hyur, thus confirming that half-breeds will be the new Stormblood race. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gosetsu is clearly a half-roe half-hyur, thus confirming that half-breeds will be the new Stormblood race. :tinfoil:

Roelanders are fine, but let's not open the door for tatercatgirl abominations.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Axle_Stukov posted:

Kinda bummed we didn't have a trial fight

Because steps of faith in pubbie groups was good and fine with no issues. :v:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ilifinicus posted:

That one's... hm. Technically, we're in a time bubble of "five years since Calamity" so Yda may have been the fake one all along

edit: which, thinking of it, makes sense since they never changed her voice actress

Okay so, the Echoes of year 1562 in 1.X feature Yda, and all current scenes in year 1572+ (1.X++) is Lyse.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

holy poo poo the story went off the rails in this last update

what the gently caress

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I'm trying this game out for the nice presentation, relaxing change of pace and subligars but all this spite-talk is really convincing me to quit once I hit the level cap.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/61yi5h/npcs_are_dodging_aoes/

People are noticing that the NPCs in the story fight this patch dodged AOEs and worked around mechanics. Speculation is that it's the first hint of the AI that will be used for the previously promised feature of taking squadrons into dungeons with you.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Zaodai posted:

I've been in the Novice Network because of being a returner, and it doesn't appear anything in there gets policed at all. You'll see some hilariously vile poo poo in there from time to time, though mostly it's just another General chat channel.

Its worse, its a global chat channel. :gonk:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

People are noticing that the NPCs in the story fight this patch dodged AOEs and worked around mechanics. Speculation is that it's the first hint of the AI that will be used for the previously promised feature of taking squadrons into dungeons with you.

When can I take them into dungeons?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

jjac posted:

I'm trying this game out for the nice presentation, relaxing change of pace and subligars but all this spite-talk is really convincing me to quit once I hit the level cap.

Online Experiences may vary. Keep in mind that for the average person such spite situations might only happen every 1/100 times they do a dungeon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
edit: Sigh, should have refreshed.

I'm not convinced that Gosetsu is any kind of Roe, though. I feel like if he was, he'd have gone straight in for the bear hug when he saw Yugiri. But who knows when it comes to Domans.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

quote:

So now NPCs are officially better than 75% of the pug.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RE story event timeline chat

If she died 6 years ago, the Yda in 1.0 was fake and you've never met the real one because 1.0 is one year and 2.x+ is a bubble of 5 years after 1.0 ending

e: Square-Enix should make an effort to get all the story cutscenes from FFXIV 1.0 up and running and upload them to YT, honestly. Weird that a huge relevant chunk of the story detail for this game is essentially non-existent.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 28, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jjac posted:

Ignore the griping of a few people, the FF14 community is generally friendly and helpful and the game owns.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

jjac posted:

If it helps, it's usually people talking about the exception rather than the rule. My experience with the community has been that most people are very quiet in your average run of anything, while the more talkative people tend to be very nice and relaxed.

Every now and then you'll run into the guy with a palm tree up his rear end, but overall it's one of the nicest gaming communities I've been a part of. Also, play with goons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On the other hand, if you're scared off by a couple people voicing complaints, then you probably shouldn't play this game, or online games in general.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, most people are decent sorts and generally not going to be dicks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Ignore the griping of a few people, the FF14 community is generally friendly and helpful and the game owns.

Yeah, the people in this thread have not actually been remotely a match for the people I've met in-game who are 99% super nice and 1% rear end in a top hat who ragequits after a single death.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

It's probably one script choreographing the fight rather than an ally AI script reacting to an enemy AI script, but still a cool touch.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bad players are rare and memorable experiences. I will always fondly remember the healer who only cast cure complaining about the tank not playing correctly, or the bard who stood two feet outside Estinien's shield during Nidhogg's dps check, or the dragoon who thought he could tank, or the honest scholar in copperbell mines who healed exactly three times during the entire dungeon and nothing else.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

No discussion on the Free Trial becoming unlimited? Like thats up to level 35 for every class.

Also They didn't mention it outside the cutscene but I'm hoping that Shinryu flooding the Ala Migho border is how there going to bring in a lot of the under water exploration. Not the occasional cave lake or pond but some mini calamity underwater buildings

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ilifinicus posted:

Okay so, the Echoes of year 1562 in 1.X feature Yda, and all current scenes in year 1572+ (1.X++) is Lyse.

This. The echoes the player experiences in 1.0's Gridania Storyline, including their visions of Papalymo and Yda entering and adjusting to life and learning the customs of the Twelveswood, are the real Yda and Papalymo. There are points at the beginning of 1.0's Gridania storyline where Echo shenanigans make it difficult to differentiate between past and present due to how purposely confusing 1.0's Tanaka story structure was. Ultimately, players would never have actually met Yda, but could have experienced her presence through the Echo. Yda and Lyse were probably written as the same person up until the end of ARR though so take it all with a grain of salt. It's interesting how they wrote around this stuff, despite it feeling forced like Eula Darnus. Still, Yda's always been my favorite Scion, so it's been a curious affair to uncover and speculate on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
SAM stuff: Having the job have cast times for its finishers would be cool, I say as noted black mage lover. It definitely makes more sense than having the class be super mobile, both in terms of making it unique and being evocative of all those cool samurai flicks and anime where they do really slow motions before a single killing blow. And cast bars are a much less annoying way to do that than animation lock. I sorta doubt it'll happen though.

MSQ stuff: Shinryu looks badass, Omega looks really cool in motion. Seriously the highlight of the patch, they're both supremely badass and it was cool seeing them use moves I recognized from FFV. Tidal Wave! Search! Delta Attack! Lightning! Atomic Ray! Probably others! Excited for the new 8-man where we fight them. Hopefully Krile tags along and we meet up with lalafell Bartz, Lenna, and Faris.

Gotetsu is a really cool dude, big personality, he makes me want to play Samurai just so I can hang out more with him. I like Yugiri more now too. "Shadow Walker" is an endearing title/nickname.

My boy Pipin keeping poo poo in line. Good on ya kid.

It's going to take me like 3 patch cycles of voice actors saying "Lyse" out loud before I actually stop saying "Yda".

I don't actually like the Scion outfit. Like, it's alright, I like the tie, but otherwise it doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's because it feels very "teen protagonist", like a school uniform, and I've always seen my WoL as a late 20s-30s sorta guy.

The mad king is DEFINITELY Yda and the whole reason they didn't speak aloud is because hearing a woman's voice would have made it obvious.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 28, 2017

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Square-Enix should make an effort to get all the story cutscenes from FFXIV 1.0 up and running and upload them to YT, honestly. Weird that a huge relevant chunk of the story detail for this game is essentially non-existent.

I would really appreciate if they would do this. Currently it's possible to view the 1.0 Tanaka and Yoshida storylines on Youtube thanks to people who recorded their characters going through the story, but there's much and more that have been lost, like the class quests for the Disciplines of Hand and Land. I think Alchemist focused much on Damielliot's comatose state that ultimately ended up with the creation of Somnus as a biproduct of research to rouse him from his slumber, but ultimately much of the ancillary plotlines from 1.0 have not been properly documented. There's a lot of cool and interesting lore that is being forgotten without easy access to this stuff. :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

The mad king is DEFINITELY Yda and the whole reason they didn't speak aloud is because hearing a woman's voice would have made it obvious.

That's not the mad king, that's Zenos yae Galvus, the Imperial Viceroy of Ala Mhigo and son of the current emperor. Theodoric, the mad king, killed himself right before the Garleans invaded 20 years ago.

ALso I hope you're wrong because that would be dumb as heck for a number of reasons.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

That's not the mad king, that's Zenos yae Galvus, the Imperial Viceroy of Ala Mhigo and son of the current emperor. Theodoric, the mad king, killed himself right before the Garleans invaded 20 years ago.

ALso I hope you're wrong because that would be dumb as heck for a number of reasons.

People keep thinking that because we saw a glimpse of the face and they had blonde hair, it must be the real Yda. But all Garleans have blonde hair? And they were showing his face so we can see he's smiling because he's excited for what is to come. I think people are reading too much into it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

O god so many spoilers, I'm gonna have to try and get up to date on the MSQ. I'm in the Shroud now, I think about to unlock Baelsar's Wall. How far off am I from today's patch?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of Yda, what was the actual reason for her to conceal her identity? Was it literally just "I want to be my dead sister?" The whole thing feels like sloppy writing to me. Like, they didn't want to show her Circle of Knowing tattoo in the trailer because that would immediately give it away, but then they needed to come up with a reason why she no longer has the tattoo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fister Roboto posted:

Ah ok my bad. Also I'm right.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

O god so many spoilers, I'm gonna have to try and get up to date on the MSQ. I'm in the Shroud now, I think about to unlock Baelsar's Wall. How far off am I from today's patch?
After you beat that you'll have like a half dozen quests to the ending.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey guys, just want to let you all know that I'm not actually Fister Roboto, I'm his younger brother Twister Roboto, and I've been pretending to be him ever since he died six years ago. Oh also none of you ever knew the real Fister Roboto so this reveal is basically meaningless. Welp, later.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey guys, just want to let you all know that I'm not actually Fister Roboto, I'm his younger brother Twister Roboto, and I've been pretending to be him ever since he died six years ago. Oh also none of you ever knew the real Fister Roboto so this reveal is basically meaningless. Welp, later.

Someone pointed out on Reddit that the player is really looking at Alphinaud for a reaction there since he's the only present scion who was apparently out of the loop... and nothing. Y'shtola and the old scions don't care, Alphinaud doesn't care, the WoL doesn't seem to care, so why should the player care? It's really silly and will be even sillier and more baffling if Yda isn't alive and an important player in Stormblood, jokes aside.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Meanwhile, Hoary Boulder X Aenor continues to try to be OTP.

It is still quite funny.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I'm going to unsub when they kill off Hoary Boulder in patch 6.78b.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

jjac posted:

Nah honestly the player base in this game is friendlier than in any other MMO I've played. So much so that there are dungeons where you get grouped up with 23 strangers and the vast majority of the time there's still no drama or problems. It's a chill playerbase and even the endgame is fairly open to casual players thanks to the party finder.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think its really supposed to be meaningful to the player, its just meant to be an answer for why she was so awkward around the Ala Mhigan resistance a couple patches ago. She's not Yda, famous war hero of the Ala Mhigan resistance, she's just her little sister that decided to carry on in her name. Partly for symbolic value because war hero and archon Yda is a more powerful image than the little girl Lyse, but also for her own sentimentality (see also how much sentimental value she put in Papalymo's archon mark disappearing for another example of her sentimentality).

Not defending it, I thought it was kinda pointless, but if it leads to something interesting in Stormblood then okay whatever.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Ah ok my bad. Also I'm right.

I mean, you're not, we already have a pretty good guess at what's generally gonna happen

We know Zenos is the son of the emperor, based on simple pattern recognition, we already know how his story is gonna play out. At some point he's gonna kill the current emperor and grab power, and we'll be set for a full scale war in 5.0 or something. How can we assume this? His legion gives it away.

Nael led the VII legion, he called down meteor.
Regula led the VI legion, he revolved around the warring triad
Gaius is the odd one out, he has the XIV legion so he had a unique storyline we haven't seen before
Zenos has the XII legion, so based on the previous pattern, my guess is that Zenos is basically gonna be Vayne Solidor. The setup pretty much perfect, with Ala Mhigo standing in for Rabanastre

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of Yda, what was the actual reason for her to conceal her identity? Was it literally just "I want to be my dead sister?" The whole thing feels like sloppy writing to me. Like, they didn't want to show her Circle of Knowing tattoo in the trailer because that would immediately give it away, but then they needed to come up with a reason why she no longer has the tattoo.

The idea is that Yda and her dad were both huge symbols of rebellion and hope - even the original Yda hadn't walked away from the cause, and mostly went to Sharlayan (the Eorzean one) to get Lyse to safety, and she fell in with Louisoix & crew almost on accident. Lyse apparently never felt like she could be the symbol her sister was, so yes, she wanted to "be" her sister so that the hope of the Resistance wouldn't falter as badly - but Papalymo, the man who really looked out for her all this time and thought the plan was dumb and unnecessary and that Lyse could be every bit the symbol of hope her family members were, dying has hardened her resolve to be herself.

It's still a little shaky, but I can follow the train of thought easily enough.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 28, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Someone pointed out on Reddit that the player is really looking at Alphinaud for a reaction there since he's the only present scion who was apparently out of the loop... and nothing. Y'shtola and the old scions don't care, Alphinaud doesn't care, the WoL doesn't seem to care, so why should the player care? It's really silly and will be even sillier and more baffling if Yda isn't alive and an important player in Stormblood, jokes aside.

Lyse cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Velthice posted:

Zenos has the XII legion, so based on the previous pattern, my guess is that Zenos is basically gonna be Vayne Solidor. The setup pretty much perfect, with Ala Mhigo standing in for Rabanastre[/spoiler]

Also just saying, I am going to be down for Vayne 2.0 because Vayne was a cool dude, though it seems like Zenos is way more of a dick.

Also question: does anyone have the JP kana spelling for [spoiler's] name? I'm curious about something.

• Locked thread