Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shadow Hog posted:

Space Jam was the 20th century tho

Yeah but it was so good it transcends future centuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Shadow Hog posted:

Space Jam was the 20th century tho

Space Jam isn't canon.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Uh they already had this it was called Space Jam and it was basically perfect

There's nothing basic about Space Jam. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Macaluso posted:

Uh they already had this it was called Space Jam and it was basically perfect

I'm ashamed to admit this but I've actually never seen Space Jam.

However, Space Jam predates the total hegemonic victory Disney achieved over American pop culture when they ate Marvel and Lucasfilm, so I think we're due for an update either way.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lots of these movies could be well-served by live action if it were a conscious attempt to exploit the freakishness of talking animals and poke fun at the insidious "naturalism" of Disney's world, but that movie probably isn't going to come from Disney.

Wasn't that basically what Enchanted was?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Live action Mulan might actually be interesting, I'm not going to lie. I'll go see it for sure.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

However, Space Jam predates the total hegemonic victory Disney achieved over American pop culture when they ate Marvel and Lucasfilm, so I think we're due for an update either way.

What we need is a Shut Up And Jam Gaiden movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

Wasn't that basically what Enchanted was?

I talked about this a little in the last thread -- Enchanted takes a few steps in that direction and then chickens out big time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love Enchanted to death with the only exception being when the chipmunk fear poops

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I mean I'm being both a little too generous and maybe a little disingenuous when I say Enchanted "chickens out" -- the more cynical and probably more accurate assessment would be that it's just a very conservative film that anticipates the criticism that real life is unjust in ways that are incompatible with the Princess narrative, and rehabilitates it with "Yes, our world is fallen and depraved, but you see, Disney World is actually the Gnostic truth of the universe."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean I'm being both a little too generous and maybe a little disingenuous when I say Enchanted "chickens out" -- the more cynical and probably more accurate assessment would be that it's just a very conservative film that anticipates the criticism that real life is unjust in ways that are incompatible with the Princess narrative, and rehabilitates it with "Yes, our world is fallen and depraved, but you see, Disney World is actually the Gnostic truth of the universe."

I used to like Enchanted, but now it's just too clear what it was doing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Xibanya posted:

Space Jam isn't canon.
I beg your pardon

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You need to GET UP AND SLAM

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Enchanted is loving amazing purely for the central park dance sequence

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Live action lion king is gonna hurt me, guys :smith:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Shadow Hog posted:

I beg your pardon

Its canonical status is controversial at best, in contrast with Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, which is indisputably canon.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sorry to interrupt the growing realization that Disney will not stop until they are Cyberdyne Technologies with animatronic animals instead of Terminators, but

A Movie About Ferdinand The Bull Starring John Cena just released a trailer. I actually think casting the human equivalent of a fighting bull to be the voice of Ferdinand is kinda cute, and the obvious "bull in a china shop" gag was good, but the rest of this trailer looks pretty "meh"

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Xibanya posted:

Its canonical status is controversial at best, in contrast with Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, which is indisputably canon.
Space Jam is canon to Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, though, so if Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is canon (as we know it is, since it warns you of as much when you start), it follows that Space Jam itself is also canon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ferdinand looks kind of cute :shobon:.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I saw 44 new comments in this thread and the first one was the live-action remake list and I think a fuse blew in my head because I can't focus enough to read any of the following comments send help.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Shadow Hog posted:

Space Jam is canon to Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, though, so if Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is canon (as we know it is, since it warns you of as much when you start), it follows that Space Jam itself is also canon.

And yet sports journalism never references the events of Space Jam, which is a strong argument against the canonical status of the Michael Jordan Expanded Universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xibanya posted:

And yet sports journalism never references the events of Space Jam, which is a strong argument against the canonical status of the Michael Jordan Expanded Universe.

Well, yeah, all news is Fake, haven't you been paying attention to the President of the United States of America?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

Well, yeah, all news is Fake, haven't you been paying attention to the President of the United States of America?

You know that's a good point. The case for Space Jam being canon is stronger than I originally thought.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Space Jam is very fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhmj9pVFuA

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Clearly a fabrication by the fake and failing Warner Brothers. Sad!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
At this point I don't believe America is real

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The weirdest thing about Space Jam is that so many people have strong feelings about it one way or the other. It's such a bland film.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I prefer space jelly

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

The weirdest thing about Space Jam is that so many people have strong feelings about it one way or the other. It's such a bland film.

the idea of the film is just magical, though

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Screw Space Jam 2, I want a deadpool-style takedown of animated films starring the animaniacs.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
TBH this kind of corroborates my earlier theory that the goal of the live-action remakes is to retcon handdrawn animation out of existence, so they can keep making money from marketing their old characters without kids asking awkward questions about why animated movies look different now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

21 Muns posted:

TBH this kind of corroborates my earlier theory that the goal of the live-action remakes is to retcon handdrawn animation out of existence, so they can keep making money from marketing their old characters without kids asking awkward questions about why animated movies look different now.

"Times have been hard since cartoons went to color. But I still got it, Eddie!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What I wanna know is: Is Shaq Fu canon? How about the fateful 1 on 1 Carter vs O'Neal?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

What I wanna know is: Is Shaq Fu canon? How about the fateful 1 on 1 Carter vs O'Neal?

Shaq-Fu is canon per Barkley.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The modern Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be a conflict between traditional
2D animations and modern 3D CGI animations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

21 Muns posted:

The next generation is going to look at cel-based animated films like the majority of people these days look at black and white films. "Ew why would I watch that old boring stuff?"

:smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

The modern Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be a conflict between traditional
2D animations and modern 3D CGI animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg9xJ5VOq3k&t=141s

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xibanya posted:

Some stories would have greater emotional gravitas in live action. But I struggle to think of one of the slated remakes where that would be the case.

Look, I'm not gonna cry over some stupid lion and his dumb daddy issues, but a man dressed up as a lion, now THAT I can relate with!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
We need to go back in time and kill the two wizards who came up with computers (and homework)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Look, I'm not gonna cry over some stupid lion and his dumb daddy issues, but a man dressed up as a lion, now THAT I can relate with!

I feel like I'm being mocked