Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Does any of you have Twsbi Eco that your'e not into?

I have this Sailor Procolor 500 that I'd like to trade for an Eco. Preferably a M or B nib.
The red writing is the Sailor. It's an M nib. Light khaki-colored.

It's a neat little pen but it's just a bit too dainty for my giant hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Well... Good news bad news?

I hosed IT UP!

I hate myself so much! Short story did it totaled the Lamy 2000.

I was doing so well! Here's how it went.

1- Drop the fucker on the nib and cry
2- Fix it to 90%
3- couple days later Go back at it and get it to literally 99%
4- couple of days later (yesterday) go back at it one final time and bang the loving thine snapped off. the short left one just went click and pouf gone.

So after much hating on myself, cleaning out all my pens and storing them (rage quiting fountain pens) I loving caved and threw some money at it and ordered a shiny new Lamy 200 extra fine nib off of Amazon prime. 191 CAN$ I'll have it thursday.

I still have the old one of course. I'll probably keep an eye open for a nib in case one goes for cheap one day.

I did learn a lot and did make a lot of my pens better writers so I am not writing off what I did.

Man I wish I would of left the fucker alone! But it was bugging me to no ends that it was not perfect.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This may not be the hobby for you, friend. Unless you're like the rest of us and enjoy being kicked in the balls every ten minutes

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This hobby is making me realize how goddamn lovely my hand writing is

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

ElGroucho posted:

My handwriting isn't becoming better in terms of formality but I make up for it in style and flourish

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ElGroucho posted:

Find something you wrote six months ago and compare it. I guarantee the difference is shocking so long as you've been practicing at all.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
To be honest, part of it is me trying to eliminate the Left Handed Claw of Death that I previously used and write like a proper human.

On a positive note, my writing has stopped looking like constant italics and is now upright.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've been trying to make mine look more italic. I'm also right handed if that matters.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm the person who always gets asked to address cards in my family. My fourth grade teacher was some sort of handwriting nazi so I got a good foundation even though she kept giving me Bs which upset fourth-grade me terribly :argh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Both of my parents are doctors and I get my handwriting from them.

At least that's what I tell people.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Heath posted:

This may not be the hobby for you, friend. Unless you're like the rest of us and enjoy being kicked in the balls every ten minutes

I am also into RCs so fountain pens are nothing compared in terms of "money spent on repairs". Nothing at all. Not to say it's not significant money but yeah having a hobby that drains my pockets dry is pretty normal for me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That Parker 45 I bought off of eBay for $5 last week arrived. Guess what, it's a 14k nib! The seller just didn't bother to clean it beforehand.

Yeah, I bought a 14k nibbed Parker 45 for a grand total of $5.28 CDN shipped.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Iznogood posted:

Well... Good news bad news?

I hosed IT UP!

I hate myself so much! Short story did it totaled the Lamy 2000.

I was doing so well! Here's how it went.

1- Drop the fucker on the nib and cry
2- Fix it to 90%
3- couple days later Go back at it and get it to literally 99%
4- couple of days later (yesterday) go back at it one final time and bang the loving thine snapped off. the short left one just went click and pouf gone.

So after much hating on myself, cleaning out all my pens and storing them (rage quiting fountain pens) I loving caved and threw some money at it and ordered a shiny new Lamy 200 extra fine nib off of Amazon prime. 191 CAN$ I'll have it thursday.

I still have the old one of course. I'll probably keep an eye open for a nib in case one goes for cheap one day.

I did learn a lot and did make a lot of my pens better writers so I am not writing off what I did.

Man I wish I would of left the fucker alone! But it was bugging me to no ends that it was not perfect.

Sup fellow CANCON Lamy 2ooo dropping buddy!

Luckily I've got it back in working order but that was a pretty lovely day.

Reminder that you can do this with your Lamy (Which is a large part of why I love this pen in so many different ways):

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Heath posted:

Find something you wrote six months ago and compare it. I guarantee the difference is shocking so long as you've been practicing at all.

Are there any good penmanship excersizes online?

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Nofeed posted:

Luckily I've got it back in working order but that was a pretty lovely day.

Reminder that you can do this with your Lamy (Which is a large part of why I love this pen in so many different ways):

I did dismantle the damaged Lamy to get a feel for it before I get the new one. Happy you got yours back! I had mine so close. Just overworked it. I took too many steps for something that, now that I have experiance, would take me 1/4 the number of steps. Costly course but oh well.

edit: I'm a bit terrorised I'll drop the new one too. One thing I'm not in love with is how slippery this pen is with dry hands.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 29, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
The Lamy 2000 (F) is my grail pen and you monsters are breaking my heart :smith:

Someday when I can afford to drop the cash on one, I'm going to superglue it to my loving hand.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Nofeed posted:

Hey look you got a Sailor speciality nib :v:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

Pilot, actually

Edit: I guess it could be both

grack fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 29, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

grack posted:

That Parker 45 I bought off of eBay for $5 last week arrived. Guess what, it's a 14k nib! The seller just didn't bother to clean it beforehand.

Holy poo poo.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

KKKLIP ART posted:

Are there any good penmanship excersizes online?

https://ia800204.us.archive.org/8/items/palmermethodofbu00palmrich/palmermethodofbu00palmrich.pdf

especially pay attention to how it describes using the muscles of your shoulder and upper arm to write. it does wonders for both flow and fatigue. which makes sense; this book was from an era when there were people whose entire job was handwriting. you can't write all day with your forearm.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Trustworthy posted:

The Lamy 2000 (F) is my grail pen and you monsters are breaking my heart :smith:

Someday when I can afford to drop the cash on one, I'm going to superglue it to my loving hand.

Part of the problem is that it's JUSSSST at the price point where I'm okay with carrying it everywhere. It's also not particularly rare or flashy, as well as being exceptionally durable and easy to maintain (Nib excluded on the durability side of the house, of course) It's been out to the field with me and has seen it's share of blood and sweat; it bears a fair few scars to prove the horrors a fountain pen in this day and age should never be through. Just goes to show how versatile a pen it is I guess. Great on airplanes too, just need to make sure you're topped up on ink before you fly.

Kessel posted:

It still wrote! Actually, not all that horribly now that think about it...

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Nofeed posted:

Part of the problem is that it's JUSSSST at the price point where I'm okay with carrying it everywhere. It's also not particularly rare or flashy, as well as being exceptionally durable and easy to maintain (Nib excluded on the durability side of the house, of course) It's been out to the field with me and has seen it's share of blood and sweat; it bears a fair few scars to prove the horrors a fountain pen in this day and age should never be through. Just goes to show how versatile a pen it is I guess. Great on airplanes too, just need to make sure you're topped up on ink before you fly.

It still wrote! Actually, not all that horribly now that think about it...

That's what killed mine! It wrote perfectly but still had a "beak" but I wanted it to be straight. SHould've left it alone it wrote so well and was kind of cute with it's little eagle beak.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
:lol:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Iznogood posted:

I am also into RCs so fountain pens are nothing compared in terms of "money spent on repairs". Nothing at all. Not to say it's not significant money but yeah having a hobby that drains my pockets dry is pretty normal for me.

I paint miniatures, yet 50 bucks for a pen seems a bit much

Weird

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Really struggling to see the intersect between Lara croft fans and waterman fans that would lead to such a collab

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

Really struggling to see the intersect between Lara croft fans and waterman fans that would lead to such a collab

Waterman was the company that made a whole range of Harley-Davidson branded pens as well.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

Waterman was the company that made a whole range of Harley-Davidson branded pens as well.

My girlfriend has one of those. Her dad, who was not himself much of a writer, got it for her as a graduation present from high school in 2000. It's not right for her hand at all, but the sentiment has only grown more touching over time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Got my Seven Seas writer today and it's fantastic. The packaging was good, the paper is good, I like that it looks like an old composition notebook on the inside.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

My girlfriend has one of those. Her dad, who was not himself much of a writer, got it for her as a graduation present from high school in 2000. It's not right for her hand at all, but the sentiment has only grown more touching over time.

Both collaborations used what was an existing pattern (the Phileas) so Waterman really just needed to change the barrel graphics or the colour of the plastic used. Weird, but not really that difficult to do.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

My fiancee went and dropped her 2000 so now it looks like both the damaged ones in this thread. RIP! Nib damage is contagious!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

My fiancee went and dropped her 2000 so now it looks like both the damaged ones in this thread. RIP! Nib damage is contagious!

That's it! THAT'S IT!

Never opening the new one when it gets here. :3:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The finish on my VP is pretty slick and I feel like I need to constantly wipe it down for fear of dropping it. Y'all are killing me

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
glad nothing I use daily is worth more than $20

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Y'all need to start adding chunks of grip tape to your fountain pens. Or, alternatively, get easier to hold pens.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

Are you also the guy sniping all the Ink-O-Graph Ink-D-Cators from me?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My Man Shran posted:

Are you also the guy sniping all the Ink-O-Graph Ink-D-Cators from me?

Nah, 45s are virtually the only vintage I buy these days.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

grack posted:

Y'all need to start adding chunks of grip tape to your fountain pens. Or, alternatively, get easier to hold pens.

the Android thread is leaking

But yeah I've got a Vacumatic waiting for me in the mail and now I'm a little apprehensive about even opening the package.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Met with a local artisan yesterday who makes pens out of kits he buys online. Nothing spectacular and these kits end up looking very alike but he's young, talented, dinamic and I love encouraging local peoples instead of amazon.

For what it is I think I paid a little too much but I really wanted:
1- To make contact
2- Check how he works, talent everything and check with him lots of projects I have
3- See if he would let me buy some deluxe pen kit and materials and make me my dream pen (he's somewhat open but has strong opinions about nature and wood and I kinda like that he's passionate enough not to compromise too much. Kinda like me with my catering)
3- Give him some encouragement by buying one of his fountain pens.

The guy is super cool, he's a ... hum.. in french a ebeniste. Guy's who work with wood to create stuff. And in his spare time he's learning himself to do pens of all sorts.

Anyways, we talked and some of my projects are in his capability so I'm very happy.

Here's the pen I bought. 70$ +10$ because of the 2 types of wood. Etsy has million of comparable pens for less but like I said local guy (15 min from my home in the middle of nowhere).

And because of my situation I have the privilege of being able to afford to buy from local artisans even if they are pricey (not that much). I do this in my catering business and in my life in general. I buy a ton off the web but if I can buy it locally and help some small business I am all over that.

In other fountain pen news:
Lamy 2000 -> out for delivery !
Another Pilot Metropolitan (Pilot MR Retro Pop Collection Fountain Pen, Red Barrel with Wave Accent, Fine Nib) out for delivery!

Hoping for my Pelikan, misumi notebook, seven seas notebook, pens from ebay...

Please canada post lady make it a good day!

edit: well at least I got my Lamy 2000. Looks great just inked it it wrote perfectly. But nothing else of course.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 30, 2017

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Your woodworker did an excellent job mating the pieces he used to shape the blank, based on your pictures. While I'm not generally the biggest fan of how kit pens feel in my hand since I don't like metal sections, they're a great way to learn your way around a lathe for both shaping and boring. Very pretty pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
e: well how about that double posting