Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
most plantinum games you can remove most of the challange by just abusing items. what makes this one kind of confusing is you kind of need some kind of healing but most of the options go overboard very easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gort posted:

You guys are making it sound like the better comparison is with Witcher 3.

Nah its more just Platinum Lite. Simpler move sets for each weapon type, more emphasis on item use, light RPG style character customization.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also sometimes the game is a twin stick shooter.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Meiteron posted:

Belated, but my take on it as follows (spoilers for whole game follow):

The explanation from earlier in the game was that these separate groups of machines were different and eccentric because they had separated from the greater machine network. By the time you reach the tower and understand the network's greater plans, however, it's possible to see this as a complete lie. The network intentionally made these machines substandard in order to slow down the inevitable victory over the androids, who they still wanted around to provide an enemy to fight and to prompt evolutionary progress through the selection pressure provided through their war. It's only when YorHa is eliminated that they decide to take their current wins, wrap up their plans on the surface, and send their ark into space. The machines in the fairground and village going crazy is just an extension of this - wrapping up side projects, just like their fight with YorHa.

Think about it how Adam intentionally "disconnects" himself from the network way back in route A and yet when you go through the tower there's still files related to both him and Eve, and he's completely fine in ending D when he offers to bring 9S along with them. Eve is there too, despite being ostensibly being the last boss of two routes. There is still perfect immortality for all machines. The idea is that the machines have "won" the conflict on Earth for a very long time, and were never in true danger of being defeated - they simply defer victory over their opponents until they're ready to leave.

E: While we're talking about things we didn't really understand - is there a reason that in the C/D Route the three resource collectors are named, respectively, meat box, soul box, god box? I didn't understand that reference at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIdB04liKc

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Nina posted:

I love being told I suck and also getting a pat on my back for being smoking, sick and stylish by a videogame but I also love as wide variety of people being able to enjoy Nier as possible

Yeah I love platinums rating system cause it feels nice when you do start getting the Golds and platinums, but it's got no place in Nier A

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah I love platinums rating system cause it feels nice when you do start getting the Golds and platinums, but it's got no place in Nier A

I feel like it has a little place. Like, as a secret there could be some operator in the bunker that has been storing combat data and you can go an look at it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gort posted:

Definitely not.

Honestly, I'd maybe say of the entire Platinum/Clover catalogue, it's like a combo of Okami and Bayonetta, where it plays like a watered down Bayonetta, but it's structured like Okami. Okami has really easy gameplay, but if you want it, there's a some depth to it and some tricks you can use to pull more out of it than you need.

NieR's considerably deeper than Okami though. Really though, NieR: Automata is just difficult to describe as it almost actively tries to defy description.

As for rankings, I don't miss it here, but I wouldn't hate it if you could go turn them on too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Iretep posted:

most plantinum games you can remove most of the challange by just abusing items. what makes this one kind of confusing is you kind of need some kind of healing but most of the options go overboard very easily.

I mean, it's more that you don't even NEED to abuse items on Normal if you ever beat a character action game, hehe. I think the two segments that actually made me do it were the Hegel boss fight because fuckin' hell, and trying to beat a 25 levels above myself Father Servo on Route A. Also Nier doesn't really punish you for using items like character action games do, so you always have plenty of resources to buy stuff.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gort posted:

I think it's closer to Darksiders TBH. It's got that kitchen sink mentality with gameplay features.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Idk. It's like devil may cry with an open world and more rpg elements (combat's not as good as dmc 3, but no combat is)

What it does have in common with witcher 3 is a broken dodge button.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

I think it's closer to Darksiders TBH.

Darksiders 2 is a pretty good comparison, actually. Except not lovely like Darksiders 2.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Snak posted:

I feel like it has a little place. Like, as a secret there could be some operator in the bunker that has been storing combat data and you can go an look at it.

I'm a bit sad that one poster's idea that the boss statue room in the library could be a lowkey combat rating system wasn't right. That would've been cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
fuckin lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LT62mVaIpA

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have well over 100 hours on PS4 and I've not had a body attack me

I had it happen exactly one time: I'm limping along and can't (or can only sporadically) attack and I think to myself "if i revive that person, they can act as my bodyguard!" so I did, like I had many times before and it promptly gave an error message and the fucker attacked me.

It was awesome, if harrowing.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 28, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also i wish they had actually copied the fashion souls aspect of those games and not just the corpse-run gimmick, but obviously modelling assets costs money

now that this game is apparently selling really well, i would give anything for a yoko taro game that involves playing pretty dress-up as a mechanic.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

This video makes it sound like he's gonna make more Nier games. I think the best ending to branch off from as canonical would be ending K. What do you guys think.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

This video makes it sound like he's gonna make more Nier games. I think the best ending to branch off from as canonical would be ending K. What do you guys think.

Ending W

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ending G

9S fucks off to study machines by himself

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

honestly i just want yoko taro to make another game with dubious ties to the series ala nier 1

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

honestly i just want yoko taro to make another game with dubious ties to the series ala nier 1

Oh yeah absolutely.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably gonna get flack for this, but I watched the that 30 minutes summary of Drakengard->Nier story, and none of it appealed to me at all. Like, I knew there was a reasonably clean break between Drakengard and Nier, but, even just the Nier stuff. People turning into floating books? I'm just not feelin it.

Which is fine. This game is really great. When the next game comes, I'll just have to see if it's something I'm interested in...

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

most of the sort of background stuff. has nothing to actually do with the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but like, there's a floating book with a face on it. As a character in the game.

More than one, as I understand it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Yeah but like, there's a floating book with a face on it. As a character in the game.

More than one, as I understand it.

Uh, yeah... it owns.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That's really not so damning in the world of j-rpgs or j-anything.

Let's not forget the 2014 movie Her where dozens of goons got weepy over a guy falling in love with his iphone.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 28, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I dont even see how its that weird. Its a magical familiar type character, pretty common fantasy thing.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah this game has shown me pretty clearly that while all i wanted from Platinum after playing MGR around 8 times was a MGR2 (and i still would like that to happen even if it never ever will), i'd just like them to try and make new stuff if it turns out as great as this. Same goes for Yoko Taro, obviously

Snak posted:

I'm probably gonna get flack for this, but I watched the that 30 minutes summary of Drakengard->Nier story, and none of it appealed to me at all.
Yeah, i watched it after grabbing all the main endings and it actually made me like the setting less, despite the fact that 99% doesn't matter at all, and 0.5% matters just a bit. But in the words of the man himself:

quote:

Please do not worry about having to play them all, as you can enjoy this without having any knowledge of the others. Actually, I think you’ll become more confused if you know all of those games.
at least in my case, he was right (although friends who played through the games say that those do present it in a more easily digestible fashion)

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

yeah but hes just a magic book. none of the creation process or any of the supplmental works from nier are needed to enjoy it. that information is nowhere in the game and isnt actually important to the plot.

just play nier its really good.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Snak posted:

I'm probably gonna get flack for this, but I watched the that 30 minutes summary of Drakengard->Nier story, and none of it appealed to me at all. Like, I knew there was a reasonably clean break between Drakengard and Nier, but, even just the Nier stuff. People turning into floating books? I'm just not feelin it.

Which is fine. This game is really great. When the next game comes, I'll just have to see if it's something I'm interested in...

Don't take people telling you an exaggerated summary of the events as equivalent of the actual experience. Nier is all about wonderful character dynamics and without them the esoteric backdrop would mean nothing as it clearly does for you

What the WCS it, what the hell is a Hamelin Organization and the intimate details of how to make books with goofy faces who shoot out fists has ZERO relevance to what makes the first game special

Nina fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 28, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

The story of NieR suffers hugely from being summarised and lives and dies by its characterisation. For example: It's really obvious that Nier would want to protect Yonah because she's his sister/daughter, but actually playing the game is what makes you want to protect her. If you reduce anything to its bare essentials, there's probably a handful of things on earth that might stay actually interesting. Grimoire Weiss is a weird as all gently caress concept, sure, but if you're not actually playing the game, or at least experiencing it in its entirety through a 100% LP, he's nothing but a weird character concept.

I've never liked that people just say "watch Clemps" or "watch a summary" because I feel like NieR is really, really harmed by being a secondary. I think TheDarkId's LP's are the next best thing to actually playing the games because they actually show you everything and pull the extraneous info from the supplemental stuff when and where appropriate if it's cool or worth knowing. There's no substitute for playing NieR 1, but that LP is the next best option. With Drakengard 1 and 3? Yeah, maybe stick to an LP.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 28, 2017

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

yeah but hes just a magic book. none of the creation process or any of the supplmental works from nier are needed to enjoy it. that information is nowhere in the game and isnt actually important to the plot.

just play nier its really good.

In fact, it actually helps with the storytelling, I thought. "Why is that guy a book? Ah, who cares, he's my friend, whatever". And then it ends up that not knowing why that guy is a book pretty much massively fucks over everything because all the main character (and you, the player) cares about is the noble goal of rescuing his daughter. "Why are these bizarre monsters attacking? Who cares, they're in the way of me saving my daughter".

Like, the fact that Nier ignores that Weiss is a magic book and just treats him like a friend ends up destroying the entire human race because Weiss makes the noble choice to trust his friends over his duty, and that is the WRONG choice

The banal ends up being horrifying, and the confusing and esoteric ends up being the stuff that was supposed to make the most sense.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 28, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

I dont even see how its that weird. Its a magical familiar type character, pretty common fantasy thing.

Right, but what I like about NieR: Automata is that it's high-concept scifi.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Snak posted:

Right, but what I like about NieR: Automata is that it's high-concept scifi.

It really isn't. Androids and Robots are loving old tech in Nier Standards. Emil is probably the most high tech thing

In terms of genre its probably as much fantasy as Nier 1,the magic is just more obfuscated

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Snak posted:

I think a Nier Automata summary would also be :geno: as gently caress to be honest. Summaries just have a tendency to do that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess that somehow I wasn't clear: I don't really like fantasy settings the way I like scifi settings. Yes, they're both just tools to tell stories, for me floating robots are okay while floating books are a turnoff.

edit: Like, sure I can believe that magical familiars as characters are common thing, but I can't name a game that I've liked that had one... I'm not sure I've technically played one...

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Snak posted:

I guess that somehow I wasn't clear: I don't really like fantasy settings the way I like scifi settings. Yes, they're both just tools to tell stories, for me floating robots are okay while floating books are a turnoff.

edit: Like, sure I can believe that magical familiars as characters are common thing, but I can't name a game that I've liked that had one... I'm not sure I've technically played one...

I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong, but I gotta be honest: This is definitely the most, uh... unique??? reason I've ever heard for not wanting to play the flawed gem that is Nier The First

"There is a floating book with impeccable voice acting, therefore no"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Snak posted:

Wasn't the last game you played Nioh?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, personally I found it fascinating once I realized it wasn't a fantasy setting and it was genuinely a "Any sufficiently advanced technology..." thing. But I guess I can understand if the trappings just don't appeal to you.

I mean, the fact that everything about the heroic fantasy RPG genre is turned on its head like that was a hoot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh there was a floating cat in that... Fair enough. Technically he was a spirit though.

I don't really see why aesthetics of genre preferences are a weird thing.

It's all kind of a moot point, because I don't have a ps3.

Edit: and honestly, if I did have a ps3, I probably would play it. But it's gonna be awhile before I ever get one.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I mean, apart from the Bunker and the occasional videoconference call on the pods, Automata doesn't really have much high sci-fi about it - it's all ruined cityscapes and desert and forest and that.