Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

The Rockies have a dumb name, Colorado doesn't own the entire Rocky mountains come on.
It was inspired by the old hockey team, which currently plays as the New Jersey Devils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Leperflesh posted:

gosh look at all these teams

The Nationals, forgot about them. When did the Marlins become the Miami Marlins? Did the Rays used to be the Devil Rays? The Reds, does any major league team on Earth have a more boring team name? I guess the Browns. The Rockies have a dumb name, Colorado doesn't own the entire Rocky mountains come on. The <Place> <Thing vaguely associated with place> naming theme can be taken too far, it sounds like a name picked by a committee after consulting with focus groups for a year. Are the Twins just named after Minneapolis-St. Paul? The Phillies also have a stupid name, that's like the San Francisco Friscos or the Los Angeles LAers.

e. I have a meeting in 17 minutes and don't feel like doing any work between now and then.

The Houston Texans

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

euphronius posted:

A filly is a horse.

Oh, is it a play on words, like philly/filly?

Horse name teams from coolest sounding to lamest sounding:

Chargers >> Broncos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Colts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fillies

You'd think there'd be a major league team named the Stallions

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 28, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intruder posted:

The Houston Texans

Yeah that is severely lazy too. Imagine the Philidelphia Pennsylvanians or the Green Bay Wisconsinites.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Intruder posted:

The Angels are responsible for Barrold Bonds not having a ring which is a travesty

David Eckstein is better than Barry Bonds

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Intruder posted:

The Angels are responsible for Barrold Bonds not having a ring which is a travesty

gently caress roiders, I'm a griffey fan.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Really? Bart to Millbrae from wherever you were in south SF was probably like 15 minutes,

Glen Park. 25 minutes. It would be a bit over 20 minutes on a weekday, but on Sundays the trains stop at SFO.

Leperflesh posted:

and then what, did you not check a train schedule in advance to time your arrival to a scheduled train?

Millbrae is not a planned transfer station, and BART frequently runs a few minutes behind schedule. If I was feeling adventurous, there was a BART I could take that theoretically provided like a 3 minute transfer window. IIRC, our history with that was: once, BART actually got there on time and we were able to comfortably transfer; twice, we successfully caught Caltrain by sprinting; and once, we missed it and sat around in the station for thirty minutes waiting for the next (non-express) train. The better option was more like a 15-20 minute wait, and it was worth it because the difference between catching a bullet and not was huge.

Leperflesh posted:

Caltrain from Millbrae to Mountain View is as you said a little over half an hour. They run extra baby bullets on game days so you shouldn't have had to wait that long.

Around 35 minutes. The extra trains were expresses, but they weren't, like, weekday commuter expresses. It was, let's see: Millbrae, San Mateo, Hillsdale, Redwood City, Palo Alto, Mountain View.

Leperflesh posted:

And then you take the VTA light rail to the stadium from Mountain View... which on game days should be the "VTA 49ers Express" service... how long does that take?

According to their schedule, around 25 minutes. I think they finally started expressing those trains sometime this last season; before, they would hilariously stop at every single station on the way, despite the train being packed to capacity, and despite those stations all being empty because it was Sunday and most of them are office parks. But the expressing doesn't save that much time, because the train isn't very fast and has to obey traffic signals. And usually we spent 10-15 minutes in Mountain View just waiting for that train to actually leave.

So 10 minutes to BART, a few minutes of waiting, 25 minutes to Millbrae, 15 minutes of waiting, 35 minutes to Mountain View, 10 minutes of waiting, 25 minutes to the stadium stop. A bit over 2 hours if there weren't any delays. I think the 2.5hr figure is how long before the game we had to leave. Oh, and then we had to get back, of course, which was generally slower because it took forever to ever get away from the stadium. I think we got home in as little as 90 minutes once by just saying gently caress it, walking fifteen minutes to get mostly out of the traffic, and getting an Uber home at only a 50% surge rate.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

a neat cape posted:

Turns out SA2k is a secret STL Cardinals fan.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

a neat cape posted:

I'm going to find you and kill you in your sleep

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that is severely lazy too. Imagine the Philidelphia Pennsylvanians or the Green Bay Wisconsinites.

Montreal Canadiens

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

rjmccall posted:

So 10 minutes to BART, a few minutes of waiting, 25 minutes to Millbrae, 15 minutes of waiting, 35 minutes to Mountain View, 10 minutes of waiting, 25 minutes to the stadium stop. A bit over 2 hours if there weren't any delays. I think the 2.5hr figure is how long before the game we had to leave. Oh, and then we had to get back, of course, which was generally slower because it took forever to ever get away from the stadium. I think we got home in as little as 90 minutes once by just saying gently caress it, walking fifteen minutes to get mostly out of the traffic, and getting an Uber home at only a 50% surge rate.

Yuck. Part of the sell for putting the stadium in Santa Clara was that the site was supposedly already well integrated into public transit.

Spoeank posted:

Barry Bonds*

Kevyn posted:

Montreal Canadiens

Literally a gently caress you to Quebec seperatists, so I'll allow it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
How's squandering the best hitter in baseball being the only blip of relevance since 2002 working out for you because the three titles since then tends to dull the pain

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Spoeank posted:

At least you had that even year bullshit going on until the Cubs put an end to it last year :smug:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

How's squandering the best hitter in baseball being the only blip of relevance since 2002 working out for you because the three titles since then tends to dull the pain

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
The angels are so gay I wish they would move to somewhere like Idaho so I wouldn't encounter their lovely white fans. Also they are gay as in the middle school insult gay not the sexual orientation! Sorry for any offense, but gay is the best way to describe the angels.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Is this Jerry Dipoto or Billy Eppler

Eli Wiggum posted:

At least you had that even year bullshit going on until the Cubs put an end to it last year :smug:

I guess it's time to....... even the odds

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spoeank posted:

:golfclap:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Spoeank posted:

YEEEEAAAAAAAAHH

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

It's me.

Also the Giants are the only bay area team I can tolerate, mostly because of how mad Padres fans get at them

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Yuck. Part of the sell for putting the stadium in Santa Clara was that the site was supposedly already well integrated into public transit.

The funny thing is that it kind of is, for everyone who isn't from San Francisco (or Marin, I guess). If you're in the South Bay, it's right on VTA, which is as good as you're going to get. If you're in the East Bay, it's right on ACE. Hell, if you're somewhere down the Peninsula, driving to MV isn't too bad, and neither is the one transfer from Caltrain. It's actually just specifically terrible from the city.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No matter how bad this was I can't make fun of it because my baseball team had a rally praying mantis last season.

It...didn't work. Well it kinda worked, but not enough.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What ever happened to a good old fashioned rally cap ffs

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Did someone mention rally? :smug:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

Did someone mention rally? :smug:

Is that a patriots rally celebrating 3-28?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

Is that a patriots rally celebrating 3-28?

No, it's a San Diego good bye rally for the Chargers :colbert:

Also, gently caress off!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

No, it's a San Diego good bye rally for the Chargers :colbert:

Also, gently caress off!

Lol that many people wouldn't show up

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Lol that many people wouldn't show up

Son of a ... !

It was so close to being the perfect sports calendar year for me...le sigh...

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Also the Giants are the only bay area team I can tolerate, mostly because of how mad Padres fans get at them

Padres fans are mad at the Giants because the Giants are everything they wish the Padres would be.

The Giants took their coaching staff and won a couple of world series with a team that wasn't highly regarded for it's talent. That is the Padres dream, the fans don't want the best team on paper they want that scrappy team that out performs or comes from behind to win it all.

Also, the Giants fans that fill Petco every series are annoying but not worse than Dodger fans.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Knucklebear posted:

Also, the Giants fans that fill Petco every series are annoying but not worse than Dodger fans.

Dodgers fans are now officially worse than Yankees fans, as of 2014, and this is why:
http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

By the same logic, the best fans in baseball last year were fans of the Astros. Every time the Astros win a game, it is an absolute triumph.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
gently caress the astros.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
padres fans just wanna win, man :smith:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why does baseball not institute a salary cap system

I guess the answer is obvious, it'd be against players' collective interests in terms of getting paid as much as possible, but it would actually help most players who aren't on one of the top teams by making them much more likely to be on winning teams.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I was neutral towards the Raiders moving, but now that a sworn enemy is happy about it, I am mad that they are moving

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Why does baseball not institute a salary cap system

I guess the answer is obvious, it'd be against players' collective interests in terms of getting paid as much as possible, but it would actually help most players who aren't on one of the top teams by making them much more likely to be on winning teams.

Because salary caps are dumb and should be abolished in all sports

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hmm yes, the richest media markets should always have the best teams, that makes perfect sense

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

hmm yes, the richest media markets should always have the best teams, that makes perfect sense

There's a bigger variance in champions in MLB than the NFL in the last 15 years. Meanwhile, the league of parity and hard salary cap has like 20 years of the afc being represented by three quarterbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

a neat cape posted:

There's a bigger variance in champions in MLB than the NFL in the last 15 years. Meanwhile, the league of parity and hard salary cap has like 20 years of the afc being represented by three quarterbacks

Exactly one traditional small market team has won an MLB championship since Minnesota 25 years ago.

• Locked thread