Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I take back every bad thing I ever said about the ringer

what the gently caress posted:

Many were confused when the Warriors ownership group recently acquired VR Tango, a small Norwegian company specializing in disposable, virtual-reality-controllable sex toys for extremely tall individuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Much like Nick Young, Buddy Hield is fun to watch because he is not on your chosen team.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm happy with Buddy Hield's play but I think a lot of Kings fans are forgetting that Marcus Thornton came in on a late season trade and made us fall in love with his buckets too.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Buddy is shooting very well for the Kings on needlessly difficult shots.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Does anyone else get nauseous when an NBA writer refers to a player as a "unicorn"?

It's such a dumb loving term and doesn't even make sense.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

BWV posted:

Does anyone else get nauseous when an NBA writer refers to a player as a "unicorn"?

it means that player is worth a billion dollars at last valuation

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

BWV posted:

I don't know if he started it but Simmons wrote that big dumb article on unicorns. Has it been used outside The Ringer?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BWV posted:

No, because I know what they are trying to say. It's a player with a skill set that is so rare it's almost mythical.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've heard the term a lot in podcasts, usually about potential elite two-way players but aren't good enough to be called superstars like Porzingis.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's definitely a strange term since no players in the NBA are physically capable of being an extra female participant in a MFF threesome with a couple on a dating site.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Libertine posted:

It's definitely a strange term since no players in the NBA are physically capable of being an extra female participant in a MFF threesome with a couple on a dating site.

Agreed, bring back Dennis Rodman

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Unicorn is a dumb tech term for someone who's way better at their job than you are at yours that you want to work for you so you can ride their coat tails to success.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

lmao

“Ian Clark got stuck in Tampa for a few days because of Hurricane Babar. By the time we got him back, his waste processors were almost full and The Cocoon’s battery was on 12 percent.”

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

RCarr posted:

No, because I know what they are trying to say. It's a player with a skill set that is so rare it's almost mythical.

It's half-rear end Freedarko writing. Back in my day if you thought a player was cool and good you just wrote 1000 words comparing them to a postmodern thinker or the decline of late capitalism and not some generic mythical beast. The digital word is dying.

Also it's dumb because the entire NBA is full of super unique awesome players who do cool poo poo all the time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BWV posted:

Also it's dumb because the entire NBA is full of super unique awesome players who do cool poo poo all the time.

Agreed, but someone like Antetokounmpo, who can can take one dribble from half court and throw down a vicious windmill, is so unique that he stands out in a league full of the most freakishly athletic people in the world. Same with a 7'3 kid who is draining 30 footers after he throws down a put-back dunk over said freak athletes.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 28, 2017

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Which NBA player is a platypus? A galapagos finch? A flying squirrel?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Bruno is the only true unicorn because he is immortal. Time passes by but he will always remain two years away.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

Agreed, bring back Dennis Rodman

Like as is always the case, Rodman is the one outlier player who successfully meets every definition of Unicorn.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Flying squirrel: Cameron Payne if he could jump better

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If we were to get more specific about it, what kind of bird would Birdman be?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Caron Butler, Patty Mills, and Nate Rob.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Strawberry Panda posted:

Heat will upset the Celtics in the 1st round if they get healthy.

Pretty sure Bosh isn't playing, sorry guy

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm happy with Buddy Hield's play but I think a lot of Kings fans are forgetting that Marcus Thornton came in on a late season trade and made us fall in love with his buckets too.

You're not good til you play an entire season at a high level, sometimes not then either but defnitely not before.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 28, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

Pretty sure Bosh isn't playing, sorry guy

You're not good til you play an entire season at a high level, sometimes not then either but defnitely not before.

Joel Embiid: not good

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

quote:

The process works like this: After road games, players shower as normal and are given recovery smoothies that contain a fast-acting narcotic, synthesized from a species of poisonous blowfish. The drug works by blocking muscle receptors, thus paralyzing the subject while allowing him to stay more or less conscious. Players then enter their Cocoon. Each pod contains a feeding apparatus, virtual-reality goggles, and disposable stimulation sleeve. The pods are temperature controlled and loaded with individually tailored virtual scenarios that simulate partying on the road. There are simulations of nightclubs, dinner and drinks with friends, an Atlanta strip club tour, an evening at LIV with members of the Kardashian family, and so on.

You've got to be loving kidding me.

e:

quote:

JaVale McGee’s VR program includes a four-hour loop of the Charles Barkley–Shaquille O’Neal fight. Steph Curry’s allegedly includes ordering pizza at home by himself and playing Rory McIlroy PGA Tour on PlayStation.

More proof that JaVale is cool and Curry is a dweeb.

I wish this was true.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 28, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I had to click on this to double check if the article was talking about Dave freaking Bliss. Imagine my surprise when it was about a totally different Dave Bliss instead

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
What would Russell Westbrook have to do on top of averaging a triple double in order to be a definite lock for MVP. Because at this rate it seems like that might not be enough.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leftist heap posted:

What would Russell Westbrook have to do on top of averaging a triple double in order to be a definite lock for MVP. Because at this rate it seems like that might not be enough.

Be shooting a lot better (FG shooting on KD, LBJ or Curry's level) and be on a better team.

RW needs five TDs in the last nine games to reach 42. Seems doable.

Spacebump posted:

As recent as 2008 I remember people saying Dirk would never win a title and the Mavs should trade him to another team to be a solid number 2. In 2011 the team's #2 went down and somehow they won the title. Don't give up until the team has been blown up. Maybe they will start to peak right as the playoffs come around.

#2?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Guys. The Celtics are in first place in the eastern conference of basketball.

With an SRS of 2.45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTO0Kru8pvA

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

There's nothing special about hitting double digits. Harden's 29/8/11 vs Westbrook's 31/10/10 isn't incredibly different from each other from a production standpoint, but for some reason there is a huge golf between 8 rebounds and 10 in our minds. Harden is more efficient and leading a team that has a real shot at the WCF or beyond, and it isn't like his team has a bunch of star players on it. It's better than Westbrooks, but not monumentally.

So, to answer you question, Westbrook probably has to have a better season than Harden is having to win MVP.

Edit: Actually, I'd probably put Kawhi as my #1, but my post was just saying why "Triple Double" vs "Not Triple Double" isn't an automatic argument. I also think anyone who puts Harden, Westbrook, or Kawhi as their #1 can probably justify themselves pretty easily.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 28, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The actual question today to think on: Is Anthony Davis starting to shed his injury curse? He's played 70 games already, which is 2 more than his previous highest, and there's 8 games left to go. Has he pulled off the Curry?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Random thought but the Rockets are a 3 seed team based on Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, and Nene all playing critical minutes. Did Leslie low key poach some Phoenix training staff or something?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

Be shooting a lot better (FG shooting on KD, LBJ or Curry's level) and be on a better team.

RW needs five TDs in the last nine games to reach 42. Seems doable.

#2?

With an SRS of 2.45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTO0Kru8pvA

It's not the Most Efficient Player award Zogo :rolleyes:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I dunno is he blood doping and replacing his stupid useless body parts with cadaver parts

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The MVP vote is really easy, actually.

If Russ promises to poo poo on kd for the length of his acceptance speech, he should be MVP.

Else it defaults to LeBron.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
http://www.memphisflyer.com/Beyondt...campaign=buffer

Kevin Lipe went right the gently caress in, please read this if you can spare the time

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leftist heap posted:

It's not the Most Efficient Player award Zogo :rolleyes:

If he was as efficient as those guys he would be the most valuable. If he maintained everything else (TDs in 50% of his games) he'd probably be having a top 5 season of the last forty years.

RW is near the bottom of the league in FG shooting efficiency. Bottom five last time I checked.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Devin Booker is only 20 and he scored 70 points in a game is getting a rest night tonight even though it's not a back-to-back.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Instead of DNP-HUNGOVERFLU coaches just call it rest these days

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

Random thought but the Rockets are a 3 seed team based on Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, and Nene all playing critical minutes. Did Leslie low key poach some Phoenix training staff or something?

Ryno was never "injury" prone such that he was injured during games. It was stupid poo poo like Crash breaking his neck or kicking a chair and breaking his foot. Stupid poo poo like that.

Gordon, though...

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Shear Modulus posted:

If we were to get more specific about it, what kind of bird would Birdman be?

Foghorn Leghorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

leftist heap posted:

Be on a team with a better record than the rockets.

• Locked thread