Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

vermin posted:

I can't tell what the new Spiderman needs

A dubstep soundtrack where the villain does spoken word poetry to the beat or a dance sequence in a jazz club that comes out of nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This whole sequence was hilarious.

Sam Raimi's contempt for Sony practically oozed from Spider-Man 3

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Those are all Kamen Riders, not Power Rangers.

Hey man, I said Power Rangers TYPE shows (whatever that genre is) and also that I didn't know what any of it was. I think they had stuff from various shows though.

WampaLord posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was also fairly surprising, definitely to the studio at least.

Does Marvel have any other properties like Guardians that aren't just your average super hero stuff that they can possibly make in the future? Because I liked that way more than any of the other stuff.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

powerful sex moves posted:

Does Marvel have any other properties like Guardians that aren't just your average super hero stuff that they can possibly make in the future? Because I liked that way more than any of the other stuff.

I'd watch a movie about a young Nick Fury fighting Nazis Commies Contras probably HYDRA.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Videogames wanted so hard to be movies, but it feels now like every movie studio is trying on the Triple A Game Dev Franchise formula for a fit until the well dries up. I can't wait for the five Power Rangers sequels.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Speaking of Spiderman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiTECkLZ8HM

Looks pretty good to me, honestly.

Is that Michael Keaton as Birdman?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WampaLord posted:

Speaking of Spiderman...

Lol, it's Birdman.

E: drat it, a new page

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The only comics book movie I want to see is a standalone Batman film where Michael Keaton plays old Batman in The Dark Knight Returns.

All the best comic book stories are standalones like Long Halloween and you can get any actor to do a one-and-done no contract film that doesn't affect your idiotic "cinematic universe".

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
LOL at the fact we're getting another Spider-man reboot. I wonder how successful Homecoming will be. Its an MCU film and Marvel has this down to a science by this point, so it will probably have a passable level of quality with humor and stuff, so it will probably be a hit. But then again, its yet another Spider-Man reboot. And I wonder if people will get sick of the MCU formula.

Seconding the opinion that Guardians of the Galaxy was way better than most of the MCU. Yeah it still had the same kind of cheap humor, but the world and universe it depicted was way more interesting than the mainstream superhero stuff. I wonder how Volume 2 will fare.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hey man, I said Power Rangers TYPE shows (whatever that genre is) and also that I didn't know what any of it was. I think they had stuff from various shows though.

Tokusatsu

Yeah. There's more weird cosmic stuff like Guardians, Howard the Duck, the crazy future of 2099, the fantasy stuff published by Crossgen, sexy robot Catholicism series Sky Doll

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
The one year I didn't go to No Brand Con, Red Letter Media went there, I've been kicking myself about that ever since.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Howard the Duck

Oh, a Howard the Duck remake would be glorious :allears:

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Do you think the humor of Lobo could work in a movie today? That was the only non-"alternative" comic I read in high school and it was because it was funny. There was a series where he went to the North Pole to massacre Santa and his elves and in the early 90's that poo poo was totally hilarious. Now it seems so quaint.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 28, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's kind of in the same vein as Deadpool but I don't trust DC to be able to make a sincerely fun movie. Their attempt at Deadpool was Suicide Squad, we know how that turned out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I still mention Gunn's early Superhero flick "The Specials" quite a bit. Maybe Marvel should let him do Great Lakes Avengers with a similar tone as a Netflix series or something to excuse why they're aren't having big adventures or doing anything all that interesting.

Blue Star posted:

LOL at the fact we're getting another Spider-man reboot. I wonder how successful Homecoming will be. Its an MCU film and Marvel has this down to a science by this point, so it will probably have a passable level of quality with humor and stuff, so it will probably be a hit. But then again, its yet another Spider-Man reboot. And I wonder if people will get sick of the MCU formula.

In retrospect, I wonder if Sony regrets the 2012 Spider-Man reboot entirely and if they could go back knowing then what they know now if they'd be working with Marvel far more closely during Phase 1/2.

Specifically, imagine if Tobey McGuire showed up in the MCU as a semi-retired Spider-Man circa 2012-2016. When Sony does their Spider-Man Homecoming in 2017, it'd maybe be sort of a Miles Spider-Man and Peter Spider-Mentor thing going on, or Peter and Tony both trying to guide Miles in their own way or something.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

All the best comic book stories are standalones like Long Halloween and you can get any actor to do a one-and-done no contract film that doesn't affect your idiotic "cinematic universe".

Here's my pitch. Long Halloween without Batman. Batman's there and he does stuff but the film focuses on all the other characters instead. He's always in shadow or just off screen and we never fully see his costume. All the action scenes with Batman come off like they're from a horror film instead of an action flick.

And that's how you lose hundreds of millions of dollars.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

vermin posted:

Here's my pitch. Long Halloween without Batman. Batman's there and he does stuff but the film focuses on all the other characters instead. He's always in shadow or just off screen and we never fully see his costume. All the action scenes with Batman come off like they're from a horror film instead of an action flick.

And that's how you lose hundreds of millions of dollars.

A thought I had was a Punisher film but treat it as an 80s horror/slasher movie where the unstoppable monster is a vigilante and the horny teens are petty crooks or something. We don't really follow the Punisher so much in the film, we follow these criminals who have found themselves pursued by a murdering madman and just trying to survive. Maybe by the end, we care about some of them because they're showing actual signs of humanity, weakness, fear or something, which Frank doesn't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This would clash with society's view of the Punisher as a good guy.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

JediTalentAgent posted:

A thought I had was a Punisher film but treat it as an 80s horror/slasher movie where the unstoppable monster is a vigilante and the horny teens are petty crooks or something. We don't really follow the Punisher so much in the film, we follow these criminals who have found themselves pursued by a murdering madman and just trying to survive. Maybe by the end, we care about some of them because they're showing actual signs of humanity, weakness, fear or something, which Frank doesn't.

I'd watch the poo poo out of that

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Here is my pitch.

Brand new Fantasic Four movie with new people in the roles. Show a fun and colorful world where they are established heroes. Reed opens a portal to another demension where the 2015 FF cast are zombies who invade earth. The 2015 cast are the villains. It is right out of the comics, erases the failed movie, and would include zombies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My idea for a Fantastic Four movie is give up and don't make one. Make cheap rear end ones every seven years with limited release just so Marvel and Disney don't make one either.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trunko posted:

Wait there are adults who watch power rangers for fun

japanese tv rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbcxZ0GMSk

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

parallelodad posted:

My idea for a Fantastic Four movie is give up and don't make one. Make cheap rear end ones every seven years with limited release just so Marvel and Disney don't make one either.

Just have them as supporting cast, Reed is the tech guy who has to tech the tech item or whatever etc. Doom and Namor actually get real scenes.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

WampaLord posted:

Speaking of Spiderman...

Why does Spider-Man have a fat wacky dorky sidekick?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Castor Poe posted:

I applaud the decision to broaden the role and make Mary Jane into a big handsome native american man. Marvel's come a long way. We've all come a long way.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Castor Poe posted:

For the same reason so many superheroes have sidekicks. It makes exposition a lot easier, it humanizes the hero, and lets him have conversations that aren't lying to Aunt May or Mary Jane

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Japan hasn't ruled anything since their god emperor sepukkued himself

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Here's my pitch.

Never make a superhero movie again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

Specifically, imagine if Tobey McGuire showed up in the MCU as a semi-retired Spider-Man circa 2012-2016. When Sony does their Spider-Man Homecoming in 2017, it'd maybe be sort of a Miles Spider-Man and Peter Spider-Mentor thing going on, or Peter and Tony both trying to guide Miles in their own way or something.

That would actually be interesting. Though if anyone from 2000s Spider-Man comes back it should be Willem Dafoe, have him play Osborn in a Dark Reign movie. We'd get news sites churning out hot takes comparing him to Trump.

Paladinus posted:

Here's my pitch.

Never make a superhero movie again.

Or this.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Faffel posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of that

Same

parallelodad posted:

This would clash with society's view of the Punisher as a good guy.

It's extremely hosed up that The Punisher isn't an outright villain. There is nothing redeemable about him and Spider-Man or Cap should have murked his rear end a long time ago.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Guy Goodbody posted:

For the same reason so many superheroes have sidekicks. It makes exposition a lot easier, it humanizes the hero, and lets him have conversations that aren't lying to Aunt May or Mary Jane

I haven't read a poo poo ton of Spider-Man comics, nor seen all the movies, but isn't he basically a wacky, dorky science nerd that cracks lame jokes and can't get laid? It's kind of baffling how they made his sidekick Peter Parker 2.0, as opposed to, I don't know, his complete opposite to make their relationship more interesting?

vermin posted:

I applaud the decision to broaden the role and make Mary Jane into a big handsome native american man. Marvel's come a long way. We've all come a long way.

What a time to be alive.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Castor Poe posted:

I haven't read a poo poo ton of Spider-Man comics, nor seen all the movies, but isn't he basically a wacky, dorky science nerd that cracks lame jokes and can't get laid? It's kind of baffling how they made his sidekick Peter Parker 2.0, as opposed to, I don't know, his complete opposite to make their relationship more interesting?

He was only a loser nerd in the beginning, like 50 years ago. Peter Parker was married to a supermodel for decades

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why don't they make superhero movies that are like an original setting and characters just for the movie rather than rehashing the same 80 year old children's books over and over and over again? Or like if one of these comic characters has been rebooted 4+ times in a decade maybe move on to something else?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Every nerd's fantasy: to have a jock best friend they can ride around the schoolgrounds like a horse

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

That would actually be interesting. Though if anyone from 2000s Spider-Man comes back it should be Willem Dafoe, have him play Osborn in a Dark Reign movie. We'd get news sites churning out hot takes comparing him to Trump.

You'd maybe have people talking about issues from the Raimi films and so on as being some secret MCU stuff. The project that Norman was working on for the government at the start of Spider-man 1? It's another attempt at the Super Soldier formula. Goblin Armor being part of many prototypes being used for the eventual Falcon design, etc.

But I sort of get the feeling that a problem could be that Raimi Spider-man movies sort of destroyed all the main villains, same as the MCU films. I do sort of wonder if the MCU has an 'out' so to speak with the Infinity Gauntlet in regards to so many dead villains. Specifically, if Thanos does something like wipe out whole worlds and in the end someone uses the Gauntlet to undo that. However, reviving the massive amounts of the dead killed by Thanos also accidentally results in them unknowingly reviving folks like Red Skull, Stane, Whiplash, Mandarin, various other characters etc. because of some reason or another.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd watch this movie. How about a cat that uses a smart phone and twitter to solve mysteries???

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

He was only a loser nerd in the beginning, like 50 years ago. Peter Parker was married to a supermodel for decades

I remember hearing once that they kept killing off his love interest so they could get away with not getting him married and keeping him young and single and poor. It'd be like if they made Bruce Wayne/Iron Man lose his fortune.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

Why don't they make superhero movies that are like an original setting and characters just for the movie rather than rehashing the same 80 year old children's books over and over and over again? Or like if one of these comic characters has been rebooted 4+ times in a decade maybe move on to something else?

Because both the audiences and the executives greenlighting movies are developmentally stunted freaks who are terrified of unfamiliar things and seek refuge in routine, no matter how unsatisfying and stupefying it is.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

I'd watch this movie. How about a cat that uses a smart phone and twitter to solve mysteries???

This is the movie Nine Lives should've been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

vermin posted:

I remember hearing once that they kept killing off his love interest so they could get away with not getting him married and keeping him young and single and poor. It'd be like if they made Bruce Wayne/Iron Man lose his fortune.

They made him do a deal with Satan so that he was never married.

• Locked thread