Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

My favorite part of Zelda was when I read itt that someone died to the first bokoblin they saw. And I laughed.

Then I started and promptly died on the first bokoblin I saw.

Lol if you didn't immediately jump off the first cliff to your death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My first death was on the central tower when I was being taught to use the Shiekah Slate. I pulled it out and tried to zoom into something and promptly walked right off the tower.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

parallelodad posted:

My first death was on the central tower when I was being taught to use the Shiekah Slate. I pulled it out and tried to zoom into something and promptly walked right off the tower.

I also did that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

My favorite part of Zelda was when I read itt that someone died to the first bokoblin they saw. And I laughed.

Then I started and promptly died on the first bokoblin I saw.

WELCOME TO ZELDA SOULS

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I love how absolutely brutal this game is after all the other ones were afraid to take more than 1/2 a heart for anything. giant spider robots who will obliterate you after chasing you for a mile is an awesome change.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Now they need to go back and remaster every zelda game with this engine.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you ride the bird down from Skyloft and there are no loading times, you just eventually land

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The guardians are a little intimidating for how large yet fast they move. Then they blast a laser past you and knock down half a forest in one hit making them become terrifying

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ya this zelda doesn't gently caress around

in the past its like, oh ya the REALLY dangerous enemies take a full heart away instead of half a heart

botw is like: :mrgw:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I never thought I'd be happy to see one-hit kills in a zelda game but welp

I did notice that you end up with a quarter heart after a particularly vicious attack suspiciously often though

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The guardians are a little intimidating for how large yet fast they move. Then they blast a laser past you and knock down half a forest in one hit making them become terrifying

always have a guardian shield on you

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was trying to cook apples in the old man's fire and stood in the fire and set myself on fire and burned to death.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I ran out of stamina while climbing the Temple of Time and died in the fall.

The little "R.I.P." map marker is extremely cheeky and I love it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm so Souls games conditioned that I ran back to the X my first time dying... Trying to get my souls back

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you die from fire, falling, or enemy physical attacks "Game Over" is in red. If you get frozen or zapped to death the "Game Over" is in blue or yellow, respectively. Pretty stupid but the little touches make it all great.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you die from fire, falling, or enemy physical attacks "Game Over" is in red. If you get frozen or zapped to death the "Game Over" is in blue or yellow, respectively. Pretty stupid but the little touches make it all great.

thats cool af I didnt notice that

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wow, they've sure stuffed this game with little cool details. I remember the first time I came across bokoblins hunting boar, and that impressed me quite a bit for some reason. The AI is awesome

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
My one complaint with BotW are the side quests. While they are all really fun to do imo, the rewards are loving garbage most of the time. Thanks for the 100 rupees for my 10 minutes of time, I'd rather go bowling.

Also yea the game over colors are cool.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Is this the goon approved case?

Found it at Target for $29

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
The only good case is the generic gray eva case that has a nice mesh pocket on the top side that holds a poo poo load of stuff but is still thin. You can find it all over the internet.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

My one complaint with BotW are the side quests. While they are all really fun to do imo, the rewards are loving garbage most of the time. Thanks for the 100 rupees for my 10 minutes of time, I'd rather go bowling.

Also yea the game over colors are cool.

I stopped doing them once I realized this. But they are more adventure hooks then quests. They point to Some guy who only comes out at night in a place I would never have checked on my own. They are adventure hints and use them as such, I don't need the lovely food or a few more added to my pile of infinite rupees and gems.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

zenintrude posted:

Is this the goon approved case?

Found it at Target for $29

That thing is loving monstrous. Unless you need to tote around the dock for some reason, no, don't get that. There is a smaller version that just holds the switch with joycons attached. That's the *goon approved* one. Same brand. Looks very similar. Still big, much smaller than that though.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The only good case is the generic gray eva case that has a nice mesh pocket on the top side that holds a poo poo load of stuff but is still thin. You can find it all over the internet.

I have this one and it's aight

Also this screen protector is loving boss.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ddogflex posted:

That thing is loving monstrous. Unless you need to tote around the dock for some reason, no, don't get that. There is a smaller version that just holds the switch with joycons attached. That's the *goon approved* one. Same brand. Looks very similar. Still big, much smaller than that though.

I got the smaller one because I needed it to fit in a bag. I like it, but wish I could fit like... anything else in it. Even a pair of Apple earbuds was a no-go in that zippered pouch, because they get compressed down onto the Switch by the lid when closed up and no thanks. Forget about a USB cable.

The bigger one isnt too huge in person, but won't fit in a backpack too well. However, it can hold a shitload more stuff.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I can also attentd to the fact that the amFilm screen protector is the best. No bubbles, no issues, totes worth 10bux.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The Zelda Special Edition case is good

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I have this one and it's aight

Also this screen protector is loving boss.

Someone on Kotaku was making GBS threads on this one because it turns out the inside is made from cardboard. I don't care because for $15 it does the job.

Everything else out are ugly as gently caress black plastic monstrosities. I'll upgrade mine when there are more options this summer.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beastie posted:

Someone on Kotaku was making GBS threads on this one because it turns out the inside is made from cardboard. I don't care because for $15 it does the job.

Everything else out are ugly as gently caress black plastic monstrosities. I'll upgrade mine when there are more options this summer.

What did they cut it open? I have this and it fits the Switch and my battery pack and cable and joycon straps. Its good.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Beastie posted:

Yeah that's the one I have, it's not a Hard case but it's enough protection from other backpack items. The bad part is they stitched in a billion game slots instead of something useful like a second pocket for headphones/usb-c cable/etc.

Beastie posted:

My only problem with it is that the mesh catches the joystick if you're not careful.

That too, you have to pull pocket open first to get the system in and out. Pretty minor, but also a thing.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 28, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I have the non-design version of that case. If you look at the tag it says cardboard as a material.

My only problem with it is that the mesh catches the joystick if you're not careful.

Edit: I take my Switch on a 12 minute train ride to work so it works awesome to just pop the case in my backpack. I could see needing something beefier if I was checking my bag with an airline.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 28, 2017

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

enojy posted:

I got the smaller one because I needed it to fit in a bag. I like it, but wish I could fit like... anything else in it. Even a pair of Apple earbuds was a no-go in that zippered pouch, because they get compressed down onto the Switch by the lid when closed up and no thanks. Forget about a USB cable.

The bigger one isnt too huge in person, but won't fit in a backpack too well. However, it can hold a shitload more stuff.

I keep a USB cable in mine. Seems to be fine. What makes you say otherwise? I really just throw it in my bag though, so it wouldn't really bother me even if it didn't fit the USB cable.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ddogflex posted:

I keep a USB cable in mine. Seems to be fine. What makes you say otherwise? I really just throw it in my bag though, so it wouldn't really bother me even if it didn't fit the USB cable.

Sorry, I was specifically referring to the USB cable that comes with the Pro controller -- it's too long and thick to coil up compact enough to fit without being stuffed. A shorter, thinner cable could probably work out without any major clearance issues.

I noticed while having the earbuds in that pouch that the lid rests on top of them while shut (before zipping it up,) and just didn't want them constantly pressed down onto the screen area.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I put the switch on top of the mesh pocket and use it to store stuff like earbuds and the screen cleaner to avoid the joystick problem

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

enojy posted:

Sorry, I was specifically referring to the USB cable that comes with the Pro controller -- it's too long and thick to coil up compact enough to fit without being stuffed. A shorter, thinner cable could probably work out without any major clearance issues.

I noticed while having the earbuds in that pouch that the lid rests on top of them while shut (before zipping it up,) and just didn't want them constantly pressed down onto the screen area.

Ah, yeah, this is a smaller third party cable I bought before I got a pro controller. The pro controller one is too long/thick, you're right. I wouldn't put earbuds in either.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So does this thread have any opinions on micro sd cards or is it just a go, big and cheap thing?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I put the switch on top of the mesh pocket and use it to store stuff like earbuds and the screen cleaner to avoid the joystick problem

I've been toying with doing this. My only worry is that the Switch will shift around. If it works for you then it works for me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

LeafyOrb posted:

So does this thread have any opinions on micro sd cards or is it just a go, big and cheap thing?

cheapest with not poo poo reviews.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

LeafyOrb posted:

It hardly matters, get whatever.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

LeafyOrb posted:

Don't go cheap, they are usually slower. I mean, for $43 you can get a fast 128GB on Amazon :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LeafyOrb posted:

Get Samsung evo ones that are the highest size/price you think it's reasonable. They're pretty cheap and they're quality.

• Locked thread