Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Why is reality always so gross?

It's always the most ardent anti-gay Republicans that are caught soliciting gay sex...always. :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Dead Reckoning posted:

The typical entry level position is that guy who checks passports at the airport, and the recruiter at the last job fair I was at talked about how much he loved his job inspecting containers.

I wonder if that recruiter unironically uses the Start-To-Crate review system when picking up new video games.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/846745288735887360

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Not the NYT's fault that Donnie calls and talks to them.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well uh that is certainly a way for a home invasion to end.
https://news.google.com/news/amp?ca...a%2F#pt0-397613

*opens comments*

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like the White House and House Republicans are determined to crash into the healthcare brick wall AGAIN as the Senate still wants it all to go away.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/846756195734077445

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm definitely listening to the New York Post when they say the New York Times is bad :downs:

Watch the Republicans do nothing but fail to repeal Obamacare until they are voted out of office in 2018. Please?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Any link to today's press briefing by spicer?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Looks like the White House and House Republicans are determined to crash into the healthcare brick wall AGAIN as the Senate still wants it all to go away.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/846756195734077445

Some of them really don't have a choice. Their base has 7 years of pure hatred and bile towards the ACA because the hard core whack job gently caress sticks they've been courting and feeding lies that while time bought into it hook, line and sinker. Not repealing the Great Satan is treasonous to them and their representatives will never survive another election if some further right poo poo head from their (R + gently caress-you) blood red gerrymandered to hell district can scream about them being a RINO traitor impure commie Muslim pinko.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Torrannor posted:

I'm definitely listening to the New York Post when they say the New York Times is bad :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDYjWh_dh9E

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Any link to today's press briefing by spicer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSs5qZUcRqI

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Spicer press briefing about to start

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Thanks fellas

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

lmao http://www.inquisitr.com/4092423/15-an-hour-minimum-wage-vetoed-by-democratic-baltimore-mayor-catherine-pugh/

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

It's like the Democrats never learn.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Baltimore has a pretty low COL, so a $15 minimum wage is probably a bit overkill compared to Seattle or DC, where $15/hr barely gets you a cardboard box.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Purge her

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

Baltimore has a pretty low COL, so a $15 minimum wage is probably a bit overkill compared to Seattle or DC, where $15/hr barely gets you a cardboard box.

Wouldn't increased wages also increase spending, which would raise cost of living?

I don't know how gentrification works.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Spicer is super spicy today.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

CommieGIR posted:

Nobody in the house was an illegal immigrant. Even the son who is scheduled to appear in court on Wensday is a legal national.

Illegal immigration isn't the only thing "ICE" handles. HSI is part of ICE too... and the article doesn't say what they were for, just that it was ~ICE~. People see ICE on a uniform and automatically assume immigration stuff, but they've got agents that do everything from cybercrime to financial crime to even art theft/fraud.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mlmp08 posted:

Spicer is super spicy today.

muy picante

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well uh that is certainly a way for a home invasion to end.
https://news.google.com/news/amp?ca...a%2F#pt0-397613

I'm just going to assume this was 3 dudes in a suicide pact. Because thats about the only explanation for breaking into a house in Broken Arrow.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Fox was on in the gym today talking about the EPA regulations being canceled, and boy do they know their audience.

"We all want clean water, everyone agrees about that. But these people are making millions off solar power, getting rid of the regulations will fix that. Getting rid of excess regulations won't effect important things like your water."

They just frame it as "someone other tham you is making money" and they know people will happily justify shooting themselves in the foot to stop it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

threelemmings posted:

Fox was on in the gym today talking about the EPA regulations being canceled, and boy do they know their audience.

"We all want clean water, everyone agrees about that. But these people are making millions off solar power, getting rid of the regulations will fix that. Getting rid of excess regulations won't effect important things like your water."

They just frame it as "someone other tham you is making money" and they know people will happily justify shooting themselves in the foot to stop it.

I don't know who first said it, but I remember hearing the phrase "An American would probably be happy living under a bridge eating rats, if they could see some less fortunate American who doesn't even have a spot under the bridge."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

mlmp08 posted:

I don't know who first said it, but I remember hearing the phrase "An American would probably be happy living under a bridge eating rats, if they could see some less fortunate American who doesn't even have a spot under the bridge."

I guarantee that if you gave a person a choice of them and a random person getting $10, or just them getting $5, they'd take the $5.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Republicans already passed a bill allowing coal companies to pollute rivers and streams, but I doubt Fox talked about it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

psydude posted:

Overkill based on what exactly? To date, I have not seen any solid empirical data showing employment significantly impacted by a minimum wage that's "too high". There's probably a level where that is the case (that is, the effect of decreased employment overwhelms the wage increase), but the pearl clutching from business owners keeps the debate far, far away from any such hypothetical minimum.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

I'm just going to assume this was 3 dudes in a suicide pact. Because thats about the only explanation for breaking into a house in Broken Arrow.

According to a local deputy, 90% of hot home invasions are criminals ripping off other criminals, so...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Are you making GBS threads me

Are you loving making GBS threads me

There's no way this video is a thing

I've watched it

It's real

It's a thing

But it can't be a thing

https://twitter.com/drs2222/status/846797373938569221

Edit: goddammit I hate these people. Funny video anyways! https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/846809730022608897

HI I'M KENNETH BUT I GO BY CHUCK

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 28, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to a local deputy, 90% of hot home invasions are criminals ripping off other criminals, so...

BA has definitely had some of those, too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I guarantee that if you gave a person a choice of them and a random person getting $10, or just them getting $5, they'd take the $5.

A slavic prince meets a genie in the forest. The genie offers him one wish, on the condition that the prince's neighbor will be granted the same prize twice over.

"Tovarisch, take my eye"

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I think someone actually did this study. I tried googling around and can't find it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Genocide Tendency posted:

I think someone actually did this study. I tried googling around and can't find it.
You're probably thinking of the popular psychology/economics experiment usually called the ultimatum game. Here's how it's usually done:

Person A is given $100 and is told to divide up the money between them and Person B. They can give themselves everything and B nothing, 50/50 split, whatever they want. Person B can either accept the offer or reject it. If they accept it, both players get whatever Player A decided. If they reject it, both players get nothing. When you play it with Americans, they usually make reasonably fair offers (40-50%) and will reject offers under about 30% of the total. Or to put it another way, Americans will happily split a $100 with a stranger but will equally happily gently caress themselves out of $25 to teach a stranger a lesson about fairness. Curiously, Americans will also do this (offer the other person about 40-45% of the money) in the Dictator Game which is like the ultimatum game but the other person can't reject the offer, they just get whatever split the Dictator decides. From this towering edifices of theory were built about the universality of belief in fairness, :biotruth: about life the savanna, etc.

Further research found that American's are weird as gently caress (free full text available, whole paper is super worth it) and this is not at all universal. Americans are the second most generous group of people in the world after the Sursurunga of Papua New Guinea.

You might also be thinking of this (emphasis mine):

quote:

To examine the generalizability of these results, which many took to be a feature of our species, Herrmann, Thoni, and Gächter conducted systematic comparable experiments among undergraduates from a diverse swath of industrialized populations (Herrmann et al. 2008). In these Public Goods Games, subjects played with the same four partners for 10 rounds and could contribute during each round to a group project. All contributions to the group project were multiplied by 1.6 and distributed equally among all partners. Players could also pay to punish other players by taking money away from them.

In addition to finding population-level differences in the subjects' initial willingness to cooperate, Gächter's team unearthed in about half of these samples a phenomenon that is not observed beyond a trivial degree among typical undergraduate subjects (see our Fig. 4): Many subjects engaged in anti-social punishment; that is, they paid to reduce the earnings of “overly” cooperative individuals (those who contributed more than the punisher did). The effect of this behavior on levels of cooperation was dramatic, completely compensating for the cooperation-inducing effects of punishment in the Zurich experiment. Possibilities for altruistic punishment do not generate high levels of cooperation in these populations. Meanwhile, participants from a number of Western countries, such as the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia, behaved like the original Zurich students. Thus, it appears that the Zurich sample works well for generalizing to the patterns of other Western samples (as well as the Chinese sample), but such findings cannot be readily extended beyond this.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Would you give a random person $1,000,000 or take $500,000?

I just finished this book, I highly recommend it https://www.amazon.com/Undoing-Project-Friendship-Changed-Minds/dp/0393254593

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Fitting this pops up on the same page as minimum wage increase. NC just voted to increase and I have one friend who is a NC resident who was mad, not because of the potential rise in costs for goods, but because "lazy fast food workers are making 15 an hour now!"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Would you give a random person $1,000,000 or take $500,000?

I just finished this book, I highly recommend it https://www.amazon.com/Undoing-Project-Friendship-Changed-Minds/dp/0393254593

What popped into my head on the subject was Thinking, Fast and Slow - written by Kahneman, but happily and heavily referencing Tversky's work too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Overkill based on what exactly? To date, I have not seen any solid empirical data showing employment significantly impacted by a minimum wage that's "too high". There's probably a level where that is the case (that is, the effect of decreased employment overwhelms the wage increase), but the pearl clutching from business owners keeps the debate far, far away from any such hypothetical minimum.

Living wage for the cost of living? Which is exactly what I said in my post? The arbitrary $15 amount that a lot of people have latched on to doesn't account for the high variance in COL between localities. In NYC, $15 isn't nearly enough to live off of. In Eastern Kentucky it's​ probably far more than many places can realistically afford to pay their lowest level employees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...920d_story.html

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 28, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah but if you got 100,000 dollars every time you pushed it, but a random person died, how many times do you push it?

:v:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah but if you got 100,000 dollars every time you pushed it, but a random person died, how many times do you push it?

:v:

I would be the last man on earth before dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The fabled destruction of minimum wage jobs by raising the wage is horseshit: Most minimum wage jobs aren't skilled and they'd be impossible to outsource without sweeping changes to employment that would make the positions obsolete anyhow.

You still need someone flipping burgers at McDonalds' whether you pay them $5 an hour or $15, and the majority of employers are going to hire just enough people to run whatever business, regardless of wage. If they halved the minimum wage tomorrow, employers wouldn't suddenly find jobs out of thin air, they'd just pocket the remainder.

poo poo's actually going to hit the fan as automation increases.

• Locked thread