Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From already did that

Metal Wolf Chaos baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gonna be weird when Destiny finally comes to PC and it's just like, a normal FPS.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I didn't play the first one outside of the demo, but wasn't the big complaint was that it was pretty anemic in terms of content?

Mechanically, it felt great, and now that they have a basic game framework down, this could be a lot better if its just "Destiny but with things to do this time". This could be worth checking out.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

In Training posted:

Hell I wish fixed angle cameras hadn't disappeared from games.

I hope some indie dev makes another one, people make loving remakes of all kinds of old genres. I find those old prerendered backgrounds really charming.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if Destiny 2 being on PC and no longer needing to be run on PS3/360 means it'll have larger explorable zones.

Who am I kidding? Bungie's idea of dungeon design for their FPS-MMO (which they still refuse to call an MMO even though it is :v:) is for the dungeon Strike to be 75% areas from the explorable zones with different enemy encounters and like one or two new rooms. There are a couple of better ones with more original areas but for the most part there's just a bunch of reused levels. If they couldn't even be bothered to make unique levels for their only non-raid form of group content with the giant budget they had for Destiny 1, why should I expect they'll have more robust zones and dungeons/strikes in Destiny 2?

I, uh, have low expectations, is what I'm saying.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I didn't play year 1, but when the taken King came out, there was a decent amount of stuff to do. That said, the end game is one big loot treadmill, so it's up to how much you enjoy that type of gameplay.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Destiny 2 is going to be pretty light on content but it'll still sell gangbusters, especially on PC.

Red Bones posted:

I hope some indie dev makes another one, people make loving remakes of all kinds of old genres. I find those old prerendered backgrounds really charming.

What ever happened to that Kickstarter for the PS1esque horror game set on a cruise ship?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Red Bones posted:

I've seen video of multiple Japanese indie games that are basically RE1 clones in different locales but that stuff never seems to get translations, because translating a game properly is expensive and most likely outside the scope of the developers means.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's also some weird rear end Net Yaroze games in that mold but that stuff is barely playable at best for the most part. I wanna play more Yaroze games though, I should do that. Are they playable in PS1 emulators?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'd be perfectly fine with Parasite Eve going away and never coming back because it's gotten worse with each successive game. I'd hate to see the travesty of a Fourth Birthday.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my issue with Destiny is that it feels great to play and has a cool world and then does precisely nothing interesting with it.

Okay, that's unfair of me. The raids are pretty well-designed, guns do a good job of being unique and fun (especially exotic ones), and I had a pretty okay time with the Crucible and Iron Banner stuff. But nothing else in the game was worth a drat. I've said it before, but what bothers me more than a game built from bad ideas is a game that squanders a bunch of good ideas. Destiny has good ideas and the bones of a great game, then squanders it like crazy. That said, I also recognize I'm a crazy person: if Destiny had worse shooting "feel," more boring loot, and a more generic world, I'd probably like it more because I'd have an easier time enjoying it for what it is when there aren't little hints of greatness that it buries under bullshit.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It'll be nice to play Destiny 2 on PC. I really enjoyed the first game on PS4. Hopefully they integrate more of the story into the actual game. I enjoyed reading the grimoire cards while on the john, but the lore is pretty cool and deserves to be better-represented imo.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
One of the big problems with Destiny behind the scenes was that the devtools were a huge loving mess and made it hard to design new scenarios. So basically it's all going to come down to "did they fix their poo poo" for the new one.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Even with everything negative I've heard about Destiny (don't have a PS4), I'm actually quite psyched for D2 on PC; Lately I've come to enjoy playing online games with folks while shooting the poo poo over voice chat and Destiny always sounded right up my alley.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Everyone I know that played Destiny sold their PS4 after playing it, and this thread forum only talked poo poo about it, so I never even bothered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

One of the big problems with Destiny behind the scenes was that the devtools were a huge loving mess and made it hard to design new scenarios. So basically it's all going to come down to "did they fix their poo poo" for the new one.

If that was the issue that led to small, boring explorable zones and reused levels in strikes, then maybe there's some hope for Destiny 2 to have more unique content. I'm down for something that's basically "Phantasy Star Online: The FPS," which is how I've described Destiny before. I just want it not to bore the hell out of me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Destiny could be really good, but nobody knows how to design a fps raid boss correctly because it's still a niche that's in its infancy. They can't just toss in a bunch of WoW boss mechanics because the players have to be able to manually aim at the boss to deal damage.

There's a very good reason why the Gjallerhorn was more or less a requirement

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

There's also some weird rear end Net Yaroze games in that mold but that stuff is barely playable at best for the most part. I wanna play more Yaroze games though, I should do that. Are they playable in PS1 emulators?

Did those Net Yaroze games even exist outside the UK, I had a bunch of them on demo discs from some PS1 magazine

Rocks n Gems for life

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhtGc55rpI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've never fully bought that story about it taking eight hours to move a bush, it's just too crazy and doesn't match other stories and personal experience.

tap my mountain posted:

Destiny could be really good, but nobody knows how to design a fps raid boss correctly because it's still a niche that's in its infancy. They can't just toss in a bunch of WoW boss mechanics because the players have to be able to manually aim at the boss to deal damage.

There's a very good reason why the Gjallerhorn was more or less a requirement

Yeah, that's the other thing- a lot of the game was experimental and experiments don't always work out. They've been gradually learning how to design for the game's structure over the past 2.5 years and they've finally gotten to a pretty good place. Compared to launch, the loot treadmill and menu of activities and variety in general has been advanced light years. Clearing the board and starting over on a better tech foundation, with all that experience, and with the studio reorganized to deliver the steady drip-feed of content, should be something worth looking forward to.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Did those Net Yaroze games even exist outside the UK, I had a bunch of them on demo discs from some PS1 magazine

Rocks n Gems for life

If you had a Net Yaroze you had access to a private online forum where hobbyist developers could swap works-in-progress and help out on each other projects. Projects were hosted there and the forum was moderated by Sony employees; these were the people who picked which games to highlight on the UK discs (primarily, it looks like other regions got them sporadically as well) until the project was kinda ended and they released a large amount of releases on a UK demo disc/collection.

There's some info here about them:

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/02/net-yaroze-on-ps1-we-need-you.html

Sadly no one seemed to have taken up the Yaroze mantle :( And some games may just be lost unless the original creator has the files kicking around somewhere.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Rocks n Gems for life

YEEEE HAAAAW

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I remember enjoying Destiny with friends when it first came out and then the well kind of dried up. The Taken King and all the other expansions should have just been a part of the loving game at release, because as-is it was sorely lacking in solid content.

It didn't help that Destiny devs were new at this kind of thing so they changed poo poo like currencies and rewards and ways to upgrade things multiple loving times. Imagine playing this game and seeing the overall system morph like 3 times in the span of several months. It was ridiculous and I cannot fathom how people still played all the way up to this day.

That being said the aesthetics, presentation, and gun gameplay were fantastic but I would not pick up D2 unless the devs know exactly what they actually want to loving do with this. I'm cautiously optimistic since it was a fun ride while it lasted but you need like 30 or so strikes off the bat and a shitload of stuff to do or it's going to be boorish to play for the average non-Stockholm Syndrome player after a few weeks. Moving away from X360 and PS3 gives me hope that they'll be able to create things without restrictions.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I found this game about a goon the other day, best flash game I've played since flash went out of style. It's from 2011 or something.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/pseudolonewolf/clarences-big-chance

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Was Destiny the game that required the devs to spend 12 hours rerendering the entire map everytime they wanted to make changes?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ometeotl posted:

Was Destiny the game that required the devs to spend 12 hours rerendering the entire map everytime they wanted to make changes?

Yes.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I remember enjoying Destiny with friends when it first came out and then the well kind of dried up. The Taken King and all the other expansions should have just been a part of the loving game at release, because as-is it was sorely lacking in solid content.

It didn't help that Destiny devs were new at this kind of thing so they changed poo poo like currencies and rewards and ways to upgrade things multiple loving times. Imagine playing this game and seeing the overall system morph like 3 times in the span of several months. It was ridiculous and I cannot fathom how people still played all the way up to this day.

That being said the aesthetics, presentation, and gun gameplay were fantastic but I would not pick up D2 unless the devs know exactly what they actually want to loving do with this. I'm cautiously optimistic since it was a fun ride while it lasted but you need like 30 or so strikes off the bat and a shitload of stuff to do or it's going to be boorish to play for the average non-Stockholm Syndrome player after a few weeks. Moving away from X360 and PS3 gives me hope that they'll be able to create things without restrictions.

Plus one to all this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lol, new best death screen after Spec Ops: The Line.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Is this the new Styx game?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The funniest thing about destiny, is it's actually their second attempt at making an MMO FPS and the original was coincidentally called Project Titan and was eventually​ cancelled after sinking millions into it and refashioned into a shooter.

E: wait a sec, I'm confusing the cancelled MMO that became Halo with the completely different Halo MMO

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tap my mountain posted:

The funniest thing about destiny, is it's actually their second attempt at making an MMO FPS and the original was coincidentally called Project Titan and was eventually​ cancelled after sinking millions into it and refashioned into a shooter.

E: wait a sec, I'm confusing the cancelled MMO that became Halo with the completely different Halo MMO

Unless there's another Project Titan, that was Blizzard trying to make an MMO that became Overwatch

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

tap my mountain posted:

What ever happened to that Kickstarter for the PS1esque horror game set on a cruise ship?

I can't remember the name, but I remember that it came out and it was unbelievably bad. It's full of those adventure game puzzles where if you didn't want to hit a bad end, you should have left and reentered a room an hour earlier and examined an object that didn't look interactable at all, and wasn't the first time you entered the room. I think it's pretty lenient with reloading from earlier points, but yeah.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Unless there's another Project Titan, that was Blizzard trying to make an MMO that became Overwatch

The failed WoW-killer MMO based in the Halo universe was seriously called titan while it was in development.

https://www.engadget.com/2010/04/12/halo-mmo-had-90-million-budget-canceled-as-microsoft-eyed-cas/

It was refashioned into a RTS, which is similar to how WoW was an RTS turned MMO.

Halo was a failed MMO that became a FPS like Overwatch

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Original Halo was going to be an RTS in the Marathon universe I think. But that was way before WC3 or WoW even came out. Halo MMO came about way later.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

Original Halo was going to be an RTS in the Marathon universe I think. But that was way before WC3 or WoW even came out. Halo MMO came about way later.

Yeah, Halo began as an RTS in the late 90s and slowly became a 3rd person shooter and then an FPS and then a console FPS in 2001. The MMO was a separate project Microsoft had a different studio work on.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A real ship of Theseus situation.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I can't remember the name, but I remember that it came out and it was unbelievably bad. It's full of those adventure game puzzles where if you didn't want to hit a bad end, you should have left and reentered a room an hour earlier and examined an object that didn't look interactable at all, and wasn't the first time you entered the room. I think it's pretty lenient with reloading from earlier points, but yeah.

lol that was NightCry, right? Awful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

Original Halo was going to be an RTS in the Marathon universe I think.

If only...

Dude, can you imagine a sci-fi Myth?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

Is this the new Styx game?

it sure is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTOohoty_M

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jay Rust posted:

A real ship of Theseus situation.

This is my grandfather's Halo. My father replaced the gameplay, and I replaced the genre. This is my grandfather's Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oh man, that's the traversal I know and love from the first game. Pointlessly falling because he won't grab the drat handholds for no reason sometimes...

• Locked thread