Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think you guys understand what "High-concept" means. It has nothing to do with the tech levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Plz dont be hard on the guy for not having an immediate interest in playing a game and just giving broad impressions.

Instant Grat posted:

I mean, apart from the Bunker and the occasional videoconference call on the pods, Automata doesn't really have much high sci-fi about it - it's all ruined cityscapes and desert and forest and that.

Whatever tech they use to fight with their swords is absolutely insane. I think it must be the NFCS stuff, Near Field Control System. Only because when you lose that you also can't swing your sword. Or make it teleport from the ground to your back, or into an enemy. 2B was able to pick up the Goliath arm with it and use it as a weapon, so it's pretty intense. Oh also it allows them to spew an unending amount of bullets out of loving thin air.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm not trying to pounce on the guy, I just find it a bit strange. But it's fair enough - different strokes and all that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

I'm not trying to pounce on the guy, I just find it a bit strange. But it's fair enough - different strokes and all that.

Yeah I wasn't trying to accuse anyone, I just saw that there was a bit of a snowball rollng up , those things happen without anybody meaning them really.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes, the fact that Near Field Control Systems allowed them to swing the goliath arm means that theybhave some kind of reactionless gravity control. Honestly it would dwarf every other type of technology they have to the point of making flight units pointless. But like, who cares, it's pretty cool.

Edit: it's cool, no hard feelings.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I like how losing nfcs means they can't fight. It's like they're all "gently caress. Now I have to actually swing the thing by actually wielding it. I never swung the thing! How does this even work!"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the goliath arm is significant in that they don't need to have any original control over whatever thing they are controlling. Like, you can put memories in swords apparently, so there must be some serious computer stuff in the swords of Nier Automata. I guess because 9S hacked the goliath arm, that gave control, or something.

The whole technology should be rendering the war totally moot, with what you could do with that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is NFCS another thing that hints at them being secretly Machines? If so, I think it sorta makes sense why Yorha don't want to lean on that power too much.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Those weapons are impractical huge. Even the "small swords".

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I like how the title card in Route C is a signal that Uncle Taro's taking off the kiddy gloves. These last twenty hours, you ain't seen poo poo. Strap in, we're going straight to hell.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Is NFCS another thing that hints at them being secretly Machines? If so, I think it sorta makes sense why Yorha don't want to lean on that power too much.

I don't think they ever give even an inkling of details about NFCS. Maybe there's something in an archive somewhere.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
2B actually physically swings her swords though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stupid thing to be concerned about, but what was the name of Ending B? I sneezed and missed it. :negative:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bogart posted:

Stupid thing to be concerned about, but what was the name of Ending B? I sneezed and missed it. :negative:

or Not to [B]e

I think.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

2B actually physically swings her swords though.

Yeah they all do, really. 9S just likes to project his at range cause he's that kind of guy. Somehow it involves their individual strengths. It's wacky, and cool as hell. I love the move where 2B/A2 ends some light combo with a heavy attack with small and large swords. She slams the big sword on the ground and just leaves it there and keeps going with the other sword. And when the combo ends it just teleports back to her back.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Given that​ losing NFCS makes them. Ot able to use them at all, I assuming that NFCS still holds most of the weight of the weapons even when they are manipulating them by hand.

But it's really​ not worth worrying about.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
There's no 8bit version of the Copied City theme is there

:(

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Given that​ losing NFCS makes them. Ot able to use them at all, I assuming that NFCS still holds most of the weight of the weapons even when they are manipulating them by hand.

But it's really​ not worth worrying about.

Yeah that's what I love the most about it. It is an inconceivably advanced technology, yet is entirely pretty much just a piece of the background. Like you don't tell people what belts are for in a regular movie or whatever, they just wear belts. It's just an important part of them that they don't really put a lot of conscious thought into, unless it's broken. Devola fixes 9S by just waving her hand at him and glowy poo poo for a few seconds. They did plenty of (x time later) things so if it were meant to be an abstraction... idk.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Post route C spoilers.

You could try traveling there and then using debug mode to switch the music to 8-bit to see what happens. The description of the bit you switch seems to imply that it may generate music if none is written.

Speaking of which no one is mentioning it but how fuckin' cool is it that this game just hands you a debug mode. Pretty great I say.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Sam Sanskrit posted:

The description of the bit you switch seems to imply that it may generate music if none is written.
Oh yeah, true, i forgot about that literal bit and the auto generation. Just tried it and it - unsurprisingly - just seems to throw a bitcrusher and some distortion on the source audio, which compared to the actual 8bit tracks that use special instruments and samples sounds like total dogshit. Oh well.

That's what originally prompted my question
vvvvvvvvvv

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 28, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

People are getting their copies of the OST so there will probably be a YT upload. (Plz buy this OST it deserves all the money)
Failing that, use debug mode, go to the copied city/chapter with the theme you want, find the flag to turn all music 8 bit and chill there for a bit if it works.

If it doesn't work, the track won't exist.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I think the OST might even have unused 8bit tracks, but I'm unsure. The description alluded to unused tracks, I guess.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
gently caress me, the start to C is boriiiiiiiiing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RanKizama posted:

Gotcha. CDJapan still has it available with the bonus Hacking CD so I got it there. $49 shipped via EMS with a 3-6 day delivery. Thanks. :cheers:

EDIT: You can get it here if you wanna make sure you get everything.

>> BUY IT HERE <<

Hopefully I've gotten it in time for the hacking tracks. Also if anyone else is registering an account for this; don't forget to use your 300 registration points for like, three dollars off.

EMS with the points came out to $43. I love buying things from Japan, the shipping is inexplicably slightly cheaper than buying it from anywhere on the mainland.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

If the first press is sold out, they'll tell you. First press is the first stock they usually have, as in the first whole print. Depending on how much this is, it can last months.

Its the Japanese day one edition of music. In case of Idol CDs, this might be different

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bogart posted:

gently caress me, the start to C is boriiiiiiiiing.

The offensive mission against the machines? That was honestly the only part of the game that was actually felt legitimatly difficult, although that might be because for some reason I was like 20 levels underleveled so I'd be 2shot by bullets while there's like 50 of them on screen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah that part must intentionally be a temporary difficulty spike (which is why there are so many quicksaves there). Mobs don't get any higher level than at the start of route C, and level 48 enemies are scary then but not as much six hours later.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Level 60 boars one-shot you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will never agree that Revengance is more intimate or whatever than NieR lol

The only difference is there's set combat arenas in Revengance and they give you a grade. If fights in NieR gave you a grade it would literally be the same combat. Hell given the fact you can swap weapons midcombo in NieR without having to pause the game as well as pod switching/customization I'd argue that it's even deeper possibility wise in Automata.

Edit: Oops missed most of a page

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Saagonsa posted:

The offensive mission against the machines? That was honestly the only part of the game that was actually felt legitimatly difficult, although that might be because for some reason I was like 20 levels underleveled so I'd be 2shot by bullets while there's like 50 of them on screen.

I was legitimately surprised that that was the only place that ever had EMP bots, although that might be also a normal/hard mode thing, since I just started on Normal and forgot the slider exists.

Late route B I had found a vendor selling status heal items and was like "poo poo I haven't seen anyone using these attacks, better get some now before I get hosed later" and then proceeded to use a couple on that fight and that was literally just that

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I was legitimately surprised that that was the only place that ever had EMP bots, although that might be also a normal/hard mode thing, since I just started on Normal and forgot the slider exists.

Late route B I had found a vendor selling status heal items and was like "poo poo I haven't seen anyone using these attacks, better get some now before I get hosed later" and then proceeded to use a couple on that fight and that was literally just that

They don't look any different then normal enemies and they're never as densely packed as that one moment so it's easy to gloss over them. They're all over the city in C- it's just they don't use that attack super often.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nah, I was okay with that encounter. It was what came immediately after. Controllable helplessness isn't super fun to me, regardless of the actual point of it that 2B is super screwed.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Bogart posted:

Nah, I was okay with that encounter. It was what came immediately after. Controllable helplessness isn't super fun to me, regardless of the actual point of it that 2B is super screwed.

Oh god yeah gently caress that part.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's pretty short so it didn't seem so bad, but I also had that route memorized after the stupid scanner mission post-Grun didn't create an objective marker and i durdled back and forth like a dumbass

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bogart posted:

I got saltier than I should have at that because I stumbled out of the pipe expecting "there's no way the game is actually going to make me get from here to there stumbling and not being able to jump", was jumped by three dudes and proven very very wrong, had my first death of the game and had to replay the bunker sequence.

Whoops!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No Wave posted:

It's pretty short so it didn't seem so bad, but I also had that route memorized after the stupid scanner mission post-Grun didn't create an objective marker and i durdled back and forth like a dumbass

Yeah, it's extremely short. If you have a general idea of the optimal route (which you should after running through the City Ruins 50,000 times), it's maybe 5-8 minutes of playtime.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My main complaint with the combat system is that I still can't figure out the logic behind which enemies stumble when they get hit/are jugglable and which ones aren't. This was most confusing (route C spoiler) in the bunker, when the operators wouldn't get knocked back at all by attacks but the normal yorha units mixed in there were

The other is that a lot of combat mechanics are never really explained. After finishing route E I still don't know what determines what precise attack you make post-evade, because sometimes I'd do a cool explosion thing but most of the time I'd end up jumping in the air against enemies that couldn't be knocked up there anyways.

The best part of the combat system is the variety of enemy mobs. There are a lot of them and even (especially?) near the end of the game I was seeing new ones.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 29, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No Wave posted:

The other is that a lot of combat mechanics are never really explained. After finishing route E I still don't know what determines what precise attack you make post-evade, because sometimes I'd do a cool explosion thing but most of the time I'd end up jumping in the air against enemies that couldn't be knocked up there anyways.
The weapon you made the attack with.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I got saltier than I should have at that because I stumbled out of the pipe expecting "there's no way the game is actually going to make me get from here to there stumbling and not being able to jump", was jumped by three dudes and proven very very wrong, had my first death of the game and had to replay the bunker sequence.

Whoops!

Actually, you CAN jump and sprint, just not all the time. I spent that sequence stumbling around in a small circle near enemy groups until it let med dodge, then using the 5-6 seconds of sprint I got to run past them and out of aggro range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
You do a counter attack by pressing light attack, heavy attack, or pod fire during a perfect dodge. Every weapon type has a different counter move and your pod has one too, which is the explosion you mentioned. Launching into the air is the light sword counter.