Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

The non beta build before release actually showed you this. For example, if you hovered over the monk icon, it would show +Resolve -Fatigue.

Not sure why they decided to get rid of it.

Yeah, it did, early on they showed it, then it was hidden, then it was shown again, and now, it is back to hidden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

GlyphGryph posted:

When you kill the guy responsible for it.

This is not accurate. I just got a random "the war is over!" event.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Coolguye posted:

yes, this is indeed the case. witchhunters bonus to resolve has everything to do with them simply having more resolve than other people, there is nothing more elaborate about it.

regarding their problem, i recommend picking up a monk or a cultist instead. they both have innate resolve bonuses and are much cheaper than witchhunters. they tend to have sub-par health and fatigue, but obviously this matters somewhat less to a bannerman. they make fantastic sergeants, and having a monk on the payroll lets you keep control of superstitious brothers in events. i really, really hated that trait due to the superstitious guy's aptitude for ruining everyone's mood by screaming about curses. then i got a monk in the company, and the monk spent most of his time in camp patiently talking my superstitious lineman off the proverbial ledge so nobody else had to hear his nonsense. it was sublime.

I usually end up with a gambler, wildman or squire as my bannerman. My current game has a gambler who started with like 55 resolve and a 1* talent and 3* in melee attack so he's also pretty good at stabbing fools.

I hope they add an ambition to 'upgrade' the standard, or revamp it so it fits in the accessory slot or something. It sucks having such a weak weapon after you have billhooks and longaxes available.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Even moving into the middle game I find i like spearmen on my rear flanks. The front flank slots get taken by two-hander folks but the spearwall just lets them control space in a really nice way and force enemies to take that much longer to go around.

Agreed, my two frontline flank guys get spears because it helps funnel the enemy into the centre of my line and also if I'm outnumbered actually slows the enemy down from engaging me all at once so I tend to fight with even numbers.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

It's not as necessary as it was before they added a fast-forward button to the strategic map, but cheat engine lets you apply a speed hack that also applies to tactical battles (make sure not to install the yahoo toolbar). 1.5x-2x is extremely nice to have once there are two dozen units in play.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spears never stop being useful, just giving your entire line spears stops being useful, basically.

Having a couple around for area denial is good. I'm not sure the actual Spear mastery is ever worth taking, though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Spears never stop being useful, just giving your entire line spears stops being useful, basically.

Having a couple around for area denial is good. I'm not sure the actual Spear mastery is ever worth taking, though.

Let's you mash spearwall basically. I take it because i'm confident that those guys with spears will keep the spears in every situation, since it is functional to slow down everything and let you engage more at your own control, and the specialty also lets spearwall continue to work even if someone got in your grill already, which is one of the more attractive points of it. Think of it as fight denial.

It also works perfectly to self-kill nonshield using wiedergangers and auxillaries, since you pretty much never miss a spearwall hit if you've got decent melee skill.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In general I can't imagine the spear's +20% to hit is ever actually unwelcome. Even if the guy's job is area denial, once you get to mixing it up an extra two near-guaranteed hits help even if they don't do much damage.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Night10194 posted:

In general I can't imagine the spear's +20% to hit is ever actually unwelcome. Even if the guy's job is area denial, once you get to mixing it up an extra two near-guaranteed hits help even if they don't do much damage.

Give them crippling strikes and most guys get in range with pierced sides/chests/muscles

Pretty funny, my spear guys are like my axe guy in not having a lot of kills but in terms of maiming he's sent a lot of eyes and fingers and leg/arm muscles to the beyond. Too bad they don't keep more in depth statistics about that kind of stuff

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Some napkin math: shows that +20% accuracy is about as good as +30% damage assuming a default accuracy above/around 60%. The other weapons comparable to the boar spear actually do in fact deal 25 to 30% more damage than the (boar) spear on average.* So in my opinion the weapons are very nicely balanced.

One thing I only realised very recently is that both the injury and the morale system make weapons with low accuracy but high damage much better than they otherwise would be. For the same reason, the big damage spread of flails is actually a very big positive! High risk-high reward weapons just have a much better chance of inflicting injuries and morale checks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, I definitely disagree with people saying that Spearwall isn't worth it against armored opponents. Even if some Hedge Knight or whatever has enough armor to bounce off a spear forever, you're making them waste turns getting pushed around and greatly reducing their ability to bring their numbers to bear against your own front line. Area denial is great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the reasons I like this game so is that I can see legitimate uses for basically every weapon class.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, I definitely disagree with people saying that Spearwall isn't worth it against armored opponents. Even if some Hedge Knight or whatever has enough armor to bounce off a spear forever, you're making them waste turns getting pushed around and greatly reducing their ability to bring their numbers to bear against your own front line. Area denial is great.

Another thing to keep in mind with those heavily armoured guys is that keeping them back with spearwall builds up their fatigue, especially if they pop shieldwall and get hit anyway.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hot drat I finally had the wolf bandit event :allears:

I didn't scum for it but the mail armor is deffo worth it and I scummed the encounter to get 2 mail spawns on six bandits. No regrets

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tin Tim posted:

Hot drat I finally had the wolf bandit event :allears:

I didn't scum for it but the mail armor is deffo worth it and I scummed the encounter to get 2 mail spawns on six bandits. No regrets

Having 140 armor medium armor that debuffs enemy morale and looks cool as hell is an enormous reward.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Hey folks I just wanted to chime in to say Battle Brothers is Fuckin' Good

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had an encounter with 6 pike wielding ancient legionnaires yesterday standing behind six with shields and holy moly was that a pain to deal with. I had to drag them to the edge of the map, kill about half of them, then retreat, swap out the gruesomely injured front liners, then try again and finish off the remainders. Once you can get weapons to bear on the pike-letons they go down quick, but until you do they can do a lot of damage.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

Sloober posted:

It's not good for frontliners with their heavy armor but it is good for 2nd line pikes and archers, since it lets you score hits/kills before your engaged line gets attacked. Also good on a bannerman to rally with if your group is flagging. But i don't often do much more than basic mail shirts on my backline, so they get pretty minimal initiative penalties. Only thing that smarts about that is fighting necrosavants. I work with a 5/7 back/front number with spears spread around

You just get to go before them in a round, that's about it.

Whats a higher number going to get you though? If initiative was a very high number, you'd be the first every round? It feels like a strange stat that always has a high roll to it as well

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

LolitaSama posted:

Whats a higher number going to get you though? If initiative was a very high number, you'd be the first every round? It feels like a strange stat that always has a high roll to it as well

You'll be first more often longer. As you gain fatigue, your initiative goes down, so if you have a high init you still have more to spare.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LolitaSama posted:

Also there's stuff like Dodge that goes off current initiative.

I mean, if you have a character with 100 Initiative at the moment, Dodge is giving a whole +15% to his defenses. Both of them. That's equivalent to having an additional basic shield on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

marshmallow creep posted:

You'll be first more often longer. As you gain fatigue, your initiative goes down, so if you have a high init you still have more to spare.

DO we know what initiative "ceiling" monsters tend to have, or is it just as random as it is for bros? Like, with an init of 150 are you Always First?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ZombieLenin posted:

This is not accurate. I just got a random "the war is over!" event.

Addendum: or when someone else does

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I had an encounter with 6 pike wielding ancient legionnaires yesterday standing behind six with shields and holy moly was that a pain to deal with. I had to drag them to the edge of the map, kill about half of them, then retreat, swap out the gruesomely injured front liners, then try again and finish off the remainders. Once you can get weapons to bear on the pike-letons they go down quick, but until you do they can do a lot of damage.

Unless you're running into them early I can't see them putting up much of a fight, unless you don't use greatswords or longaxes / billhooks for some reason. The only time I had losses to them was right at the start of the beta when I ran into a midgame encounter with shield legionnaries and pikes on day 8. They're also extremely easy to flank since they stick to their ranks so tightly, just make sure that the flanking guy can take some hits.

Since I get the impression that a lot of people don't buy armour for their dudes: reinforced mail hauberks make your brothers incredibly tanky, buying them should be your first priority after getting 12 brothers from cheap but effective backgrounds, and a bare minimum of armour (padded leather with a full gambeson hood is fine) . All of the weapons and head defense you need for the first 40-50 days will drop from bandits but the best armour you can get is mail shirts.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Unless you're running into them early I can't see them putting up much of a fight, unless you don't use greatswords or longaxes / billhooks for some reason. The only time I had losses to them was right at the start of the beta when I ran into a midgame encounter with shield legionnaries and pikes on day 8. They're also extremely easy to flank since they stick to their ranks so tightly, just make sure that the flanking guy can take some hits.

Since I get the impression that a lot of people don't buy armour for their dudes: reinforced mail hauberks make your brothers incredibly tanky, buying them should be your first priority after getting 12 brothers from cheap but effective backgrounds, and a bare minimum of armour (padded leather with a full gambeson hood is fine) . All of the weapons and head defense you need for the first 40-50 days will drop from bandits but the best armour you can get is mail shirts.

Thats why im a bow fan, 3x bows start to rip up pikers due to the no shield. Always the first target, sometimes before other bowman

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

i've always seen people, at least in this thread, suggesting buying armor instead of weapons, which is a good move imo. i generally go up to scale mail+full helms before i stop buying armor. even with the minor nerf to scale, it's still probably the best armor in terms of fatigue cost and defense. no real point to buying the later stuff, as they are horribly expensive and while the 60-80 armor is nice, the fatigue penalty is incredibly harsh.

if you get the noble war crisis first, there really is no point in buying the heavy armors, as you can "easily" get enough coat of scale/plate to outfit any unit with fatigue to spare from shiving enemy knights, as long as your willing to usually be outnumbered by atleast 6 men.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 29, 2017

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I like this game, but man am I struggling with it; not with the battles or RPG mechanics, but with maintaining a steady flow of money to keep my mercs going. I'm having the hardest time finding a foot hold without bankrupting my group, especially in the beginning. Anyone got any advice? :smith:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Back Hack posted:

I like this game, but man am I struggling with it; not with the battles or RPG mechanics, but with maintaining a steady flow of money to keep my mercs going. I'm having the hardest time finding a foot hold without bankrupting my group, especially in the beginning. Anyone got any advice? :smith:

Do one skull contracts only until everyone is wearing better than a sack cloth for armor. Then when you have decent equipment (padded leather or better on the dudes who are getting beat on) start taking some two skull contracts.

Also you shouldn't need to hire more than 8 dudes for the first several days.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 29, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Having only 8 dudes early also helps level them up faster so they can protect later recruits, and gives you more leeway to pick solid guys.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Back Hack posted:

You're paying attention to where you are buying and selling stuff, right? Stuff like repair tools can range from about 200 up to 400+ crowns a bunch, and conversely selling your loot in some dinky poor hamlet will not net you nearly as much money as selling it in a rich city.

Trading goods are also a thing, if you happen to a place that produces something, you might want to pick some up and sell for a bit of profit in a bigger city if you're heading that way anyway. It's not worth it to go out of your way just to haul trade goods though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

loving Captain Bernhard. Waste of a good piece of armour.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jay Rust posted:

loving Captain Bernhard. Waste of a good piece of armour.

Every time I see One Eye go down before him, I'm like "gently caress, man, you have a Warbrand or a Billhook, why can I have that poo poo." as I stare sadly as 2h Bro's stupid wood axe, before chucking it as fast as I can for a sword and shield or something until I get a 2h weapon for him that *doesn't* suck.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The first time I played one eye lived for several rounds, somehow. Then he died. I kept reloading to try to save him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, if the lorebook ends up being good, I think I might just use this setting for my next WHFRP2e campaign. Just take the guns out and things and have a party of a half dozen random peasants and runaway nobles try to bumble their way to fame and glory in a different, more medieval Not Germany.

God, I'm a nerd. But a strat game hasn't grabbed me like this since Jagged Alliance 2.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What do the stars next to skills mean?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What do the stars next to skills mean?

They indicate the character has a talent for the skill and will fudge his levelup rolls favorably for it. The first two stars raise their minimum roll, a 3rd star gives them a chance of rolling 1 higher than the maximum, so the skill will grow quick.

E: For example, Melee Defense grows 1-3 per level. If you have 1 star, that guy will get 2-3 if you pick Defense for one of his levelups. If you have 2, he'll always get 3. If you have 3, he'll get 3-4.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

My problem probably is armor, yes. I like to run medium on most of the crew to have the initiative and not run into fatigue issues. Most of my guys are in mail shirts. My best are in reinforced hauberks, but I still need the guys in mail shirts to swing the axes, and if they whiff, then they are exposed to two or three pikes (depending on the line up), which do, what, 125% damage to armor? So an ancient legionnaire's pike can do something like 100+ damage to a mail shirt, basically destroying it in one stroke.

It hadn't occurred to me to try splitting the team and drawing them into a hammer/anvil move, though. If they like to stick together, then opening the middle and going around the flanks to take out the pikemen would probably be a good idea. I don't have much experience fighting the new undead. They go down in almost one hit if you can land with a two-hander, but you need to land, and luck was not with me during my first encounter.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

My problem probably is armor, yes. I like to run medium on most of the crew to have the initiative and not run into fatigue issues. Most of my guys are in mail shirts. My best are in reinforced hauberks, but I still need the guys in mail shirts to swing the axes, and if they whiff, then they are exposed to two or three pikes (depending on the line up), which do, what, 125% damage to armor? So an ancient legionnaire's pike can do something like 100+ damage to a mail shirt, basically destroying it in one stroke.

It hadn't occurred to me to try splitting the team and drawing them into a hammer/anvil move, though. If they like to stick together, then opening the middle and going around the flanks to take out the pikemen would probably be a good idea. I don't have much experience fighting the new undead. They go down in almost one hit if you can land with a two-hander, but you need to land, and luck was not with me during my first encounter.

you really want at least mail hauberks on you're front liners. they're cheap at only 1k'ish gold while still having a pretty low fatigue score.

if you have greatswords are warbrands, it'll do you more good than the axes. split is pretty darn effective against the shield wall, even if it doesn't hit the front line skeleton, it has a decent chance of hitting the pikeman.

shields and flails are also very effective against legionnaires, shield walling really does help against pikes and they have almost no chance of breaking them, and flails helping to bypass most of their defenses(it doens't negate shield wall's bonuses though), while also doing extra damage to skeletons(i believe? even if they don't they have such little health that any damage getting through their armor will still severely injure them.)

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 29, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oh yeah, my standard anti-skeleton strategy is to send a few assholes around the flank and pick off the pikemen while the rest of the front line hopefully holds out. They'll cheerily march into melee and as long as the shieldbros at the point of impact can survive long enough, a couple flankers can get the job done.

Night10194 posted:

I have a Cultist bannerman who, with Iron Will, has like 110 Resolve at level 6.

Dirk is a crazy motherfucker but he's perfect sergeantin' material.

Cthulhu loves you and wants you to be happy. :3: :hf: :cthulhu:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 29, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

i've always seen people, at least in this thread, suggesting buying armor instead of weapons, which is a good move imo. i generally go up to scale mail+full helms before i stop buying armor. even with the minor nerf to scale, it's still probably the best armor in terms of fatigue cost and defense. no real point to buying the later stuff, as they are horribly expensive and while the 60-80 armor is nice, the fatigue penalty is incredibly harsh.

if you get the noble war crisis first, there really is no point in buying the heavy armors, as you can "easily" get enough coat of scale/plate to outfit any unit with fatigue to spare from shiving enemy knights, as long as your willing to usually be outnumbered by atleast 6 men.

I probably should have phrased that better, what I meant was that I personally like to make buying heavier armour my main priority for the midgame, because I find that the second that you throw a guy into a reinforced mail hauberk + one of those 140 armour bandit helmets he becomes tanky enough that nothing short of a nasty crossbow hit or multiple rounds of getting beaten on in melee will cause you to have to withdraw him.

I do buy up to coats of scale / plate after I have the mercs and weapons I want, I feel like the fatigue penalty is overstated and with battle forged every bit of armour helps. As you say if you get a noble crisis you can get a lot of these for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, the difference between say, Lamellar Leather and Mail is like night and day (sorry Icelanders). With Lamellar i'm pulling people out after they get hit twice. With Mail they can get hit about four times.