Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm not sure I have the patience for Midir. Getting into his second phase takes like 5 minutes and then I die to something new I haven't seen. He has like a billion ways to kill you which wouldn't be an issue if also didn't have a billion HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does the magic clutch ring affect moonlight great sword damage?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It does. It affects all Magic-elemental damage you can do, including weapons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its making ring choices hard. Currently going for prisoners chain, bellowing dragoncrest ring, sages ring and magic clutch ring but its a huge amount of health to drop to include the young dragoncrest ring

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I gave up on the optional boss (for now?) and went on and now I'm excited and having fun again. I always wanted to get to do the Old Monk fight...

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
isnt the damage boost from clitch rings still garbage. ive been just using the sword ring instead.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mm yes that boss was a lot more fun. Nothing like kicking the rear end of a particularly obnoxious pyromancer as a boss fight!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Iretep posted:

isnt the damage boost from clitch rings still garbage. ive been just using the sword ring instead.

Well i also use sorceries

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

my new dog posted:

im so good i beat the boss

Your psn name is srsly? If so I added you to the goon souls PS4 group

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Jose posted:

Well i also use sorceries

yeah same

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Iretep posted:

yeah same

It boosts my MLGS from 579 to 647 when i equip it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
New DLC is cool so far but gently caress did Nioh ruin all my dark souls reflexes :negative:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go after getting to the little swamp that has the ring of favor +3 in it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go after getting to the little swamp that has the ring of favor +3 in it.

up one of the large roots

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know how to deal with the goddamn angels on the swamp. I killed the first one by killing the weird tentacle-monster but I can't find anymore on the swamp and it's making navigating through there completely impossible.

The little I played this DLC isn't impressing me a lot with infinite respawning enemies and my new most hated enemy on DS3, these loving angels suck. Coming back to DS3 after months playing bloodborne isn't helping at all.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
First time invading since DS3 launch, in the DLC areas, and god drat I have killed like two dozen phantoms in a dozen invasions and maybe like two hosts. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My first impressions of the dlc are that they took every single obnoxious gimmick from Bloodborne and fused them into one nightmare gimmick.

I didn't miss the bell maidens in the chalice dungeons, From. :argh:

Also annoying to see that 1300 hp is less than adequate now, goddamn.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

up one of the large roots

I've tried going up all of those that I've seen, and I haven't found any way further. The closest is The one branch with two angels firing on you, but it doesn't lead anywhere and I die if I try to fall from it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Zaphod42 posted:

New DLC is cool so far but gently caress did Nioh ruin all my dark souls reflexes :negative:

Coming back to it after For Honor is pretty bad as well. The games are similar that you end up hitting the wrong buttons for just about everything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've tried going up all of those that I've seen, and I haven't found any way further. The closest is The one branch with two angels firing on you, but it doesn't lead anywhere and I die if I try to fall from it.

That's the way. But first you probably need to take a detour across some rooftops to kill one of the angels, so that you can actually reach the end of the branch and see where it leads you without getting Itano Circus'd to death.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

skasion posted:

That's the way. But first you probably need to take a detour across some rooftops to kill one of the angels, so that you can actually reach the end of the branch and see where it leads you without getting Itano Circus'd to death.

Ah, now I get it. I actually thought they were unkillable until now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

About one spell that trivialises all the game: hidden body doesn't hide you from angels and the dark undead enemies so good luck at trying to sneak past certain parts.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just started the DLC in perhaps NG+2 and was finding it incredibly difficult. Like, I can take 2 hits max from any given thing before dying difficult. An hour in, I caught it: many months ago, the last time I played before the first DLC, I rerolled my stats to have 99 Luck because I was achievement whoring rare enemy drops, and forgot about it since I shelved the game after that.

This means I somehow suffered my way through all of the first DLC with 99 Luck and otherwise gimped stats and never noticed. No wonder those sluggy miniboss types always pushed my poo poo in, and beating Friede took longer than the rest of the first DLC combined.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

These angels are trying very, very hard to keep me from putting on a bra.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

It's a bit of a shame about the invasion covenant. I really wanted to see some dumb, dumb names like VegetaSephiroth, Spear of the Church as a legit boss name :sigh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Okay Massive tip for Midir: Stand next to his head. Hitting him in the head does double the damage of anywhere else. Now you're probably thinking "he has a bunch of moves where I can't hit his head!". Yep, he does, but he doesn't use them if you're near his head. He keeps trying to claw swipe you over and over. If you hit his face enough you can even riposte him, which was a satisfying way to end this stupid fight.

Honestly not as bad as I thought it would be. Would even be a fun fight if it had significantly less HP and his hitboxes weren't so wonky. Also that move that can only be described as a temper tantrum is awful and inconsistent as hell.

Still though...overall this DLC just leaves me feeling pretty disappointed. In a vacuum I'd say this DLC was fine. Better than Ariandel but not as good as the other Souls DLC, certainly nowhere near Old Hunters. But as the capstone to this series? Terrible. I actually liked the story of DS3 more before the DLC somehow. Like, neither of the DLC actually answered any of my major questions and just created more. There's also even more nonsense going on with distorted time and I just can't even bring myself to care about this crap anymore. And the final boss of the entire series being a random old man is the dumbest decision I've ever seen. Someone actually spoiled this for me on Twitch and I didn't believe it because its so stupid. Why would Gael be the final boss of Dark Souls? That's just absurd.

I was really looking forward to this DLC too :(

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So far I can't say the angels haven't given me much of a headache. I kinda like them, and I say that playing with under 1000 HP.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How? They stagger me if I try to block, and I don't have the stamina to make it across the roots (I have a LOT of stamina). I made it to Zoey once and beat her then ran out of root.

e: Am I supposed to have met any npcs besides the hag yet btw?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 28, 2017

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

And the final boss of the entire series being a random old man is the dumbest decision I've ever seen. Someone actually spoiled this for me on Twitch and I didn't believe it because its so stupid. Why would Gael be the final boss of Dark Souls? That's just absurd.
The final battle is literally two Furtive Pygmies, forgotten and unworthy, fighting to save the Dark Soul from drying up into ash like the rest of the world. Kings die pathetically, gods decay, kingdoms collapse, even the legendary Ringed City can't endure. The only things to survive to the end are failures and slaves (and scumbags like Patches). Everything's beyond saving and the only good that can come of it is to show the painter girl pure Flame and the cultivated pigment of the Dark Soul so she can make something new out of the worthless vestiges of a world that is destined to pass away in some fashion.

I think it makes sense symbolically but it's extremely poorly-conveyed and there's nowhere near enough payoff for what happens.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RBA Starblade posted:

How? They stagger me if I try to block, and I don't have the stamina to make it across the roots (I have a LOT of stamina). I made it to Zoey once and beat her then ran out of root.

There's a familiar-sounding guy you should look around for, just after the first angel.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

There's one you can very easily miss. Return to the room where you encountered the Lothric Knights. A tower collapsed and created a path to an alternate route, and there is an NPC sitting along it.

Nakar posted:

The final battle is literally two Furtive Pygmies, forgotten and unworthy, fighting to save the Dark Soul from drying up into ash like the rest of the world. Kings die pathetically, gods decay, kingdoms collapse, even the legendary Ringed City can't endure. The only things to survive to the end are failures and slaves (and scumbags like Patches). Everything's beyond saving and the only good that can come of it is to show the painter girl pure Flame and the cultivated pigment of the Dark Soul so she can make something new out of the worthless vestiges of a world that is destined to pass away in some fashion.

I think it makes sense symbolically but it's extremely poorly-conveyed and there's nowhere near enough payoff for what happens.

I guess that's a way to look at it but it still feels lovely to me.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 28, 2017

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Nakar posted:

This is exactly why I think this is the best of endings. I never have to hear about any of this crap again hopefully!

Hopefully... :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone please tell me where to go to kill these angels.

Internet Kraken posted:

There's one you can very easily miss. Return to the room where you encountered the Lothric Knights. A tower collapsed and created a path to an alternate route, and there is an NPC sitting along it.

Well crap! Thanks for the headsup.

e: gently caress, finally.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 28, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Anyone on PS4 near the ringed city streets bonfire? I could use some assists.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did it! I killed the final boss of Dark Souls! I was really not expecting Gael to be the final boss, but I get what they were going for. Everything is pathetic, no one has any real plan, and even the ones who embraced the dark have withered away to nothing. Whether or not he's an "appropriate" final boss didn't really matter to me because the fight itself was absolutely awesome and I walked away satisfied. The only part of this DLC don't like is the loving dragon and the fact that a really cool covenant is locked behind him. I'll probably throw myself at him some more tomorrow before giving up altogether, I would really like to be a boss fight!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well as lovely as the Dreg Pile is at least the boss is cool. It's like a better version of the demon king.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Do the bosses Gael, and the Dragon just have absurd resistances? I'm hitting for like 200 damage with the Hollowslayer Greatsword, which is a tiny rubbish chink of health. Or am i just using a stupid weapon?

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

New weapons and stuff are cool but imo this dlc is kind of :sad:

Dreg heap is awful, ringed city is better but still Another Grey Ruined Giant Castle, and Gael is a lame final boss even if the fight itself isn't bad. It's a far cry from Old Hunters or any of DS2's.

e; also it sucks you have to either wait till the end of the game or try and rush Friede to get in

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Do the bosses Gael, and the Dragon just have absurd resistances? I'm hitting for like 200 damage with the Hollowslayer Greatsword, which is a tiny rubbish chink of health. Or am i just using a stupid weapon?

I'm only getting 298 per swing with a refined exile greatsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, I almost beat the Demon Prince. I even got a visceral on him! Then the moment the visceral ended I instantly died. :rip:

Sucks being a pyromancer against him. I do nothing at all. :v: