Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
More people know the Smash 4 announcer than this dumb fish I'm looking at on the Neptunia wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fish is unironically his best non-announcer performance

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright, fair enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b17Nw8yvWno

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xander was funny as Sergei in Zestiria, although that may have backfried because they went with a super silly tone in the game and he's a way more serious character in the anime

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Please don't talk about Zestiria, you'll give me war flashbacks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The MC of Zestiria is voicing Goro instead of bryce pappenbrook and it is a crime

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh, Prompto was the best voice acted character in XV so I'll reserve judgment

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Captain Baal posted:

More people know the Smash 4 announcer than this dumb fish I'm looking at on the Neptunia wiki

They should also add Shao Kahn and the Killer Instinct announcer to the dubs next time.

gently caress it just dub everything with fighting game announcers let's hear the Third Strike and KOF announcers have a deep philosophical conversation.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arist posted:

Eh, Prompto was the best voice acted character in XV so I'll reserve judgment

Goro is not Prompto

C. Everett Koop posted:

They should also add Shao Kahn and the Killer Instinct announcer to the dubs next time.

gently caress it just dub everything with fighting game announcers let's hear the Third Strike and KOF announcers have a deep philosophical conversation.

I don't necessarily disagree with this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm Prompto

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm Dino

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I thought it was p funny when I learned she was Velvet in Berseria because she would've had to go hard rear end tough girl voice and the voice director for P5 didn't do that also for some reason despite Makoto easily being the most threatening looking member of the group. I guess they probably wanted her to sound less tough to make it easier for people to not be put off by her, but idk it's very possible they just didn't think it was necessary to emphasize which I think is dumb.

Agreed, I loved Vel's JPN casting and she does a great job with older women and I'm a huge fan of deeper woman's voices but it's somewhat rare in anime/games. Anything is better than Rise's JPN VA though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fwiw, I played Berseria mostly in english, but I switched to JP on occasion because it has VAs I like in it and both tracks are v solid.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

Fwiw, I played Berseria mostly in english, but I switched to JP on occasion because it has VAs I like in it and both tracks are v solid.

It's the weird example where out of the principal cast Ben Diskin is on the decidedly lesser end of my appreciation, though that's not because he's doing a bad job but instead because Rokurou is kind of a static character who isn't that interesting compared to Velvet or even Laphicet.

Good voices all around tho, Ray Chase is versatile as hell and I didn't know Mittelman was in it until today.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's got some pretty great lines he delivers well, but yeah Rokuro doesn't let him express his strengths a ton. Still a v good role to hear him do different stuff, but I'd say out of the central cast like Velvet and Magilou have the best VAs.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
god I really want goro but with prompto's voice

prompto's voice was the best but his JPN voice was so loving good, him yelling "Arigatou, chocobo!" when getting off a chocobo will never leave me

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arigatooooooo, chocobooooooo

The four bros in FFXV in Japanese are all outstanding, honestly.
Ardyn too

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Prompto is essentially Yosuke in Final Fantasy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that and him going "OOOOOOOOOOOO....hajimemashite [lil hand wave] when he sees the baby chocobo was godlike

I never got too far into 15, but I kept switching between english and japanese. I liked the English for the Ah, These Are My Friends aspect, and everyone's voices were pretty good, i liked how whiny and lovely Noctis could be, but japanese cause I wasn't real big on Ignis' English only british affect and jpn Prompto was a delight

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Iirc JPN Ignis is Ryuji's voice actor, Mamoru Miyano is v good. Both of those tracks were excellent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

English Ignis is worth it because the payoff is Noctis making fun of his british drawl

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I've listened to an actual run through of english persona 5, and this is hot hot take as someone that's never really listened to the japanese outside of snippets:
-Joker sounds at times like Vergil from DMC which is weird.
-The NPCs are good
-The first villain is so slimy that I love it
-I really like Ryuji. He's got that attitude of being pissed off without going overboard except in real big moments
-Ann is fantastic. I would say a stronger performance than any of the previous Persona girls in consistency.
-Morgana is adorable but definitely not remotely annoying other than if you really just hate the concepts of animals talking.
-I keep mistaking Yusuke for Crispin Freeman sometimes.

The weird pronunciations of names is everywhere, though but I guess that's a trade-off if chan/sama/kun drove you nuts.

It's not a high bar, but way higher quality than Berseria and FF15 which had major problems of NPCs being far below par or using completely weird accents out of nowhere.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tae posted:

So I've listened to an actual run through of english persona 5, and this is hot hot take as someone that's never really listened to the japanese outside of snippets:
-Joker sounds at times like Vergil from DMC which is weird.
-The NPCs are good
-The first villain is so slimy that I love it
-I really like Ryuji. He's got that attitude of being pissed off without going overboard except in real big moments
-Ann is fantastic. I would say a stronger performance than any of the previous Persona girls in consistency.
-Morgana is adorable but definitely not remotely annoying other than if you really just hate the concepts of animals talking.
-I keep mistaking Yusuke for Crispin Freeman sometimes.

The weird pronunciations of names is everywhere, though but I guess that's a trade-off if chan/sama/kun drove you nuts.

It's not a high bar, but way higher quality than Berseria and FF15 which had major problems of NPCs being far below par or using completely weird accents out of nowhere.

Would you rate it as better, worse, or about the same overall relative to the P4 english?

The Japanese voice work means nothing to me because gently caress, it's not like I have any meaningful way to tell if it's a good performance anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Would you rate it as better, worse, or about the same overall relative to the P4 english?

The Japanese voice work means nothing to me because gently caress, it's not like I have any meaningful way to tell if it's a good performance anyway.

I won't really say until all the main characters are together.

And I think I just saw my first -San, so they're not gone, they're just less common.

First sighting of Goro the detective. I like his style. Definitely a "charismatic" proclaimed guy.

edit: Makoto is...how do I explain this. It's the same feeling as Chie in OG P4 in that everyone has that anime-esque quality dub and suddenly here comes this person that sounds very different from everyone else.

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 29, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
goro the god

glad they seem to introduce the Important Dectective Who Is Obvs Going To Join You early, hope he's not as late as Naoto tho where it just feels like "who the gently caress are you?"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tae posted:

I won't really say until all the main characters are together.

And I think I just saw my first -San, so they're not gone, they're just less common.

First sighting of Goro the detective. I like his style. Definitely a "charismatic" proclaimed guy.

edit: Makoto is...how do I explain this. It's the same feeling as Chie in OG P4 in that everyone has that anime-esque quality dub and suddenly here comes this person that sounds very different from everyone else.

That could mean almost anything.

Also you're killing me with your non-committal answers Tae. Killing me. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moltrey posted:

goro the god

glad they seem to introduce the Important Dectective Who Is Obvs Going To Join You early, hope he's not as late as Naoto tho where it just feels like "who the gently caress are you?"

Goro joins relatively late but is present throughout the story much earlier.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That could mean almost anything.

Also you're killing me with your non-committal answers Tae. Killing me. :colbert:

I don't know how else to describe it. like in extreme terms, everyone is speaking shakespearan and Mokoto is the boston version. It's the only time I was knocked out of my immersion, not in a bad way, but in a "Whoah that's different" way.

I love Yusuke's performance so much, but Ann is really strong throughout. Morgana has a couple weird slip-ups where it's clear it's isolated takes that's kinda shoved in scenes, but the group scenes have been very smooth.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tae posted:

I don't know how else to describe it. like in extreme terms, everyone is speaking shakespearan and Mokoto is the boston version. It's the only time I was knocked out of my immersion, not in a bad way, but in a "Whoah that's different" way.

I love Yusuke's performance so much, but Ann is really strong throughout. Morgana has a couple weird slip-ups where it's clear it's isolated takes that's kinda shoved in scenes, but the group scenes have been very smooth.

Describe it in terms of Nic Cage performances.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Dang, I really need my boy ASAP.

You got Naoto in like....mid-later October/Early November iirc (i do not recall correctly) which is like, kinda crazy for a game basically ending in December.

also sounds like Goro's role is much more than a snark machine or Spouting Exposition At Everyone Cause They Needed Someone Smart To Progress The Narrative so im excited for this boy

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Describe it in terms of Nic Cage performances.

I don't know any Nic Cage movies other than memes and gifs

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you didn't like OG Chie's 30-year-old lady's voice, then I don't even want to know you.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm going to make Joker the dedicated healer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm going to make Joker the dedicated healer

I would really recommend not doing this because Joker being able to reliable Baton Toss to other people is one of his biggest strengths.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tae posted:

A truly charmed life.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tae posted:

Go watch Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart, Face/Off, The Rock, and Adaptation.

Do it right now. Back to back.

EDIT: Also watch Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans.

EDIT 2: And also Bringing Out the Dead.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 29, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think I can point my finger at what's different about Makoto: She's very..."whispery" compared to everyone else. Her S sounds are a lot more pronounced and at times it's really hard to hear fully what she's saying until she speaks up more and is more confident/cocky.

I'm hoping that becomes less of an issue when she actually joins the party so she can be more of the latter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Same, more or less. There are definitely Japanese VA's that get on my nerves but unless the voice is so high-pitched and screechy it can crack glass I'm not really able to differentiate past that.

Though there are still performances that are more memorable than others. Kenji Utsumi as the main villain in the anime Kemonozume was loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Go watch Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart, Face/Off, The Rock, and Adaptation.

Do it right now. Back to back.

EDIT: Also watch Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans.

EDIT 2: And also Bringing Out the Dead.

Also Vampire's Kiss.