Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Yeah... he doesn't understand... you look like a Dr Seuss book IRONICALLY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
looks more like some kind of sex criminal to me

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
things to do before i kill myself:

look exactly like doc brown for some reason
gently caress a delorean
get owned by unwatchable fighter publicly

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

I was leaving a Buffalo Wild Wings outside of St. Louis after a fight in 2011 or so and got handed a flyer from someone about a local gym hosting Randy Couture, and the gate to that was something like $120, but at least it included a copy of his book and probably a lesson on elbowing a punching bag or something.

I mean if its a seminar or whatever that's a fairly normal price. If it's just a meet & greet then lol.

Also at the Arnold Classic in 2010, Mark Coleman was charging $10 an autograph. How greedy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the trump funko on your pictures might just be most offensive thing i've seen this week

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Congrats on becoming the first human in history to be owned by Chris Camozzi.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

GSP said he wanted to target September or October. Bisping pushed back today saying he won't wait that long, Bisping wants to fight in July and if GSP isn't ready for July, then he'd be willing to fight Romero. Romero doesn't believe any of it and thinks its all just posturing.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
there's basically no upside to Bisping fighting Romero, and it's not like he's some young hungry champion whose reputation depends on fighting anyone they throw at him. i dunno what he's doing here, since he gets paid the same whether he fights in July or September

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Fat Twitter Man posted:

there's basically no upside to Bisping fighting Romero,

For Bisping, maybe

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So I thought some more dumb thoughts about Stipe vs JDS II.

Stipe is kind of interesting as a wrestleboxer because your classic wrestleboxer (Rashad, Faber, Hendricks) tends to be better at takedowns than top control and emphasize power strikes over volume. Stipe is the exact opposite, his top control is way better than his takedowns and he doesn't hit really hard, though he is really precise and can hit accurately moving backwards. All his TKOs come either from him getting on top of a guy (Del Rosario, Hunt, Overeem) or hitting a perfect counter on a guy that's chasing him (De Fries, Maldonado, Arlovski, Werdum). He comes into every fight with a great game plan and fights with more discipline than just about anyone in the UFC, but his weakness has been a tendency to stick to his game plan even when it's not working. For example, he kept darting in and out against Struve in the one fight where Struve remembered he was 7 feet tall and could throw a jab.

The first time he fought JDS, he came in with the Velasquez strategy, and had decent success at first. The problem came from two things. First, he couldn't really threaten the takedown because he tends to either box or wrestle and doesn't do both at once as effectively as Cain. JDS sort of lost respect for his wrestling and managed to circle out every time Stipe backed him into the fence. Secondly, he kept trying to land the hook like Hunt and Overeem did every time JDS circled away from the fence with his hands down. He landed pretty much every time, but JDS has such a hard head that it didn't really stop him. JDS managed to pull away by landing to the body enough to slow Stipe down.

I don't think JDS has evolved at all from the last time they fought and he still backs straight into the fence when pressured and circles out with his hands down. The question is if Stipe's game plan is going to be able to capitalize on that. JDS is really tough, hits hard from the outside (Stipe's biggest weakness), and is basically impossible to take down. I'm not smart enough to make specific grappling or striking recommendations, but Stipe needs to either be able to bully JDS against the fence like Cain did or have some way of countering the jab to the body or the uppercut/overhand that JDS uses a lot. If Stipe can get JDS down, he can get a TKO, but he can't count on getting a takedown.

The books have Stipe as a -175 favorite, which is about how I place the fight. We know JDS is tough to beat and probably the worst matchup in the division for Stipe, but I believe in Stipe's ability to change up more than I do JDS.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bluedeanie posted:

For Bisping, maybe

I am brimming with anticipation of the months of whining we'll get after Romero knocks him out after cheating shamelessly

e: both of them cheating shamelessly

Fat Twitter Man fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 28, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'd rather him not win, but getting underdog odds on Cain is loving incredible.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I am brimming with anticipation of the months of whining we'll get after Romero knocks him out after cheating shamelessly

e: both of them cheating shamelessly

Well I personally am brimming with anticipation of the middleweight title looking like an actual championship again instead of Bisping fighting grandfathers and retired welterweights, but I suspect I'm being less ironic than you in this case.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bluedeanie posted:

Well I personally am brimming with anticipation of the middleweight title looking like an actual championship again instead of Bisping fighting grandfathers and retired welterweights, but I suspect I'm being less ironic than you in this case.

I am completely unironic with my love of all the ridiculous drama that surrounds this sport. but yes, Romero as champion fighting actual middleweights is much more appealing than the alternative

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have a question posed by my Pops that I couldn't answer. What is the difference between USADA regulations (fighting, fencing, boxing, Olympics) and the testing that applies to major pro American sports (Football, basketball, baseball) ?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I have a question posed by my Pops that I couldn't answer. What is the difference between USADA regulations (fighting, fencing, boxing, Olympics) and the testing that applies to major pro American sports (Football, basketball, baseball) ?

It exists, is well funded and is taken relatively seriously by the people in charge of executing it and enforcing it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Bluedeanie posted:

It exists, is well funded and is taken relatively seriously by the people in charge of executing it and enforcing it.

To expand on Bluedeanie's point, in major pro American sports they basically hand you a calendar with "bring us a cup of pee" written on it in 16-week intervals. In other words, it's not real testing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CommonShore posted:

To expand on Bluedeanie's point, in major pro American sports they basically hand you a calendar with "bring us a cup of pee" written on it in 16-week intervals. In other words, it's not real testing.

Perfect. My Pops was wondering why Tom Brady couldn't roid into a million year old football scarab. Looks like the answer is, "He and everyone else is sure trying."

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Football is the most roided out sport on earth

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Work Friend Keven posted:

How dare you sully the name of XARM!

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Work Friend Keven posted:

There's an obvious correlation between "how much money is involved" and "how many steroids are involved". Also Football is the only sport where I'm kind of cool with steroids because the whole sport and its schedule is insane. Imagine what those guys go through each game, and then do it for 17+ weeks (with a week off at some point).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fat Twitter Man posted:

he gets paid the same whether he fights in July or September

Don't think so. If mayweather fights conor in September there'll be significantly less purchases of any gsp ppv.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

There's an obvious correlation between "how much money is involved" and "how many steroids are involved". Also Football is the only sport where I'm kind of cool with steroids because the whole sport and its schedule is insane. Imagine what those guys go through each game, and then do it for 17+ weeks (with a week off at some point).

Arian Foster said that basically everyone is playing with some sort of real injury, doing their best to hide it from the team until the off season so they can get surgery. A lot of what those guys are taking steroids for is to recover from injuries, as well as be freakishly strong and fast.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i hope bisping fights yoel first because beating yoel will 'legitimize' him as a champion properly and it's absolutely possible

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i cannot see bisping beating yoel but it would be cool as hell

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Marching Powder posted:

i hope bisping fights yoel first because beating yoel will 'legitimize' him as a champion properly and it's absolutely possible

yoel is nuts when he turns it on. i don't see bisping weathering that storm

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Skip My Posts posted:

Why do I live in a universe where I agree with this statement?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Captain Log posted:

Perfect. My Pops was wondering why Tom Brady couldn't roid into a million year old football scarab. Looks like the answer is, "He and everyone else is sure trying."

To expand again, real pro sports in the US have a union and can negotiate things like ped/drug testing stipulations. Strong unions, like pro baseball, fended off drug testing forever. That said, even relatively weak unions like the NFL don't have stringent drug testing because nobody really cares all that much about player health and safety. You have to really gently caress up/smoke up to get flagged by the nfl so far as i understand it.

USADA really goes above and beyond what team pro sports do and the ufc is kind of nuts to sign on from a business perspective.

And for the record, Tom Brady is a saint and would never do something as unscrupulous and antithetical to fair competition like take drugs. He's just eating avacado ice cream and living a stress free life :colbert:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

it goes off the simple formula of guy who is known for his gas tank fighting 5 rounds against a guy who isn't. i certainly wouldn't call it likely but it's well within the realms of possibility and regardless i think we're overdue a legitimate mw title fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

and also if yoel wins then we see if all that backflip practice paid off for gsp

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah he'd backflip right back to welterweight

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If Bisping can take Romero out of his pace then maybe he will gas but usually the guy who knocks people out in the 3rd round every fight can manage his energy well.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

they dont need steroids for that

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

USADA really goes above and beyond what team pro sports do and the ufc is kind of nuts to sign on from a business perspective.

i disagree .. if a sport isnt tested properly, bad crap builds up and eventually will start leaking out everywhere which isnt good for anybody involved. not caring about ethics opens the door to corruption which means criminal charges or sometimes even the death of athletes. which leads to money leaving the sport and nobody left to participate except for bad athletes with bad attitudes who normally wouldnt be anywhere near the pinnacle of their sport. and when bad athletes do sport it looks like gabi garcia vs japanese OAPs, its neither competitive or fun. so everyone loses in the end

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
it would be loving idiotic if we told football players, with all the injuries and insane impact and conditioning that they go through, that they could not use whatever substances possible to recover and help their body. but i feel the same way about usada telling silva he couldn't use those substances to recover from his leg injury as well.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, they really need expanded rosters and an extra bye week. The owners keep the numbers down so they don't have to pay as many people.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
USADA is basically 'we are doing the best we can to police the sport'.

Policies of other sports are 'we want to appear that we are policing but in reality we're happy for members to do whatever'.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

I.N.R.I posted:

i disagree .. if a sport isnt tested properly, bad crap builds up and eventually will start leaking out everywhere which isnt good for anybody involved. not caring about ethics opens the door to corruption which means criminal charges or sometimes even the death of athletes. which leads to money leaving the sport and nobody left to participate except for bad athletes with bad attitudes who normally wouldnt be anywhere near the pinnacle of their sport. and when bad athletes do sport it looks like gabi garcia vs japanese OAPs, its neither competitive or fun. so everyone loses in the end

This also goes to athlete's health. When you have a narrow window to succeed in a sport there's every reason to make decisions that may be bad for your long term health.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Usada seems to do a good job, a lot better than the lovely corrupt AC's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

USADA is beautiful and I would love to see the same kind of organization come down on the NFL or NBA. It would be the funniest poo poo and so many big names would wither away by the time the owners recovered from the panicked chaos.

That's my top dumb sports dream aside from GSP/me fanfic

• Locked thread