Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Prince John posted:

You can go look at [2017] EWCA Crim 190 here (another pdf warning) if you want the full details of why the murder conviction was quashed in all its glorious 30 pages.

Reading some of this makes me wish everybody present had been convicted of murder. Not sure if that's what you were going for.

quote:

The marines take up positions around the insurgent in a semicircle.
The appellant asks at 00:01:32 “Anybody want to do first aid on this
idiot?
”, to which others respond “No”. The guard continues to point
his pistol at the insurgent. Somebody says “I’ll put one in his head
if you want
” and someone else makes another suggestion (the detail
of which is inaudible). There is then laughter, and someone says
Take your pick”. After a few seconds the appellant comes closer
and stands over the body, saying “No, not in his head, ‘cause that’ll
be loving obvious
.”

quote:

At 00:01:03 the cameraman bends down closer to the insurgent with
a First Field Dressing, saying “For gently caress’s sake, I cannot believe I’m
doing this
”. Another marine replies, apparently referring to the
helicopter, “Wait a minute, just pretend to do it, til he’s behind them
trees
”.

quote:

The appellant immediately crouches down and aims his pistol at the
centre of the insurgent’s chest, fires once at point blank range, and
immediately stands back up. The insurgent’s legs, which are bent at
the knee, begin to move left and right. His upper body and arms
then start to writhe, and his head shakes back and forth. His
breathing starts to become laboured.

They drag the guy around causing him a lot of pain, joke about killing him, make clear that none of them have the slightest intention of trying to save his life, and then shoot him in a manner that doesn't immediately kill him. That's not just murder, it's torture too. I would be more than happy for them to all rot in jail, adjustment disorder or no adjustment disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

OwlFancier posted:

On the other hand he kills people for money so I'm not super sympathetic either way.
Indeed. If you go for the job as a professional soldier unless you are a muppet who falls for the all the 'see the world' bollocks you are effectively offering to kill people for a living. So on the one hand on a completely cold logical level id have probably shot the guy even quicker than he did, after all who needs the aggro of a wounded enemy to hang around when im in a fight. On the other hand I just wouldn't be doing a job to kill people by choice. Complicated one innit.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It's okay to say both that the soldiers were cunts who deserve to rot, while also acknowledging that they are the product of a deliberately dehumanising and borderline abusive system that trains them to kill, and to consider killing to be not only justifiable but a positive good.

A perpetrator can be a victim. One of the big problems in our society, i reckon, is that talking about causal factors in crime gets you labelled as "soft on crime" by the Mail brigade - unless the criminal is one of ARE BOYS, apparently, in which case all the circumstances miraculously conspure to make the perpetrator completely innocent.

Anyway i'm going to loving bed.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You could also presumably argue that if the military put a man with a psychiatric disorder in command of a unit of men, the military has to take responsibility for what he did.
But, if you can see some sort of corporate manslaughter charge sticking, you probably have a psychiatric disorder of your own.

Persistent Optimistic Delusional Psychological disorder of Emotional Regulation and Systemic Organic Non-function

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Also for anyone who cares an adjustment disorder is a 'condition in which a person responds to a stressful event (such as an illness, job loss, or divorce) with extreme emotions and actions that cause problems at work and home'. It is normally self-limiting and symptoms persist no longer than six months after the stressor is removed.

It's been criticised for being a highly broad diagnosis, since by definition any display of extreme emotion or behaviour during a period of stress can be deemed evidence of an adjustment disorder. Some think the only reason it exists is as a useful label to enable stressed out patients to get therapy under their insurance. It's also highly convenient for Blackman, since it's short duration means he was not expected to display any symptoms during his psychiatric evaluation and is not expected to need any treatment for it now.

I strongly, strongly doubt a civilian could torture and murder someone and use the act itself, coupled with being in a stressful situation, as evidence of diminished responsibility. Especially not if they lied to cover it up and lied again to try and excuse their actions ('I thought he was already dead'). Even if they managed it there is no way they would be diagnosed with a self-limiting disorder and be released with no requirement for psychiatric treatment.

This case is bullshit, and it underlines the fact that no soldier will ever be held accountable for their actions because the stress of being a soldier automatically absolves you.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Just to make it visible to everyone:

The encryption ban would not help.

There's multiple reasons.

First and the obvious one is that as soon as they swap in encryption they can decrypt as opposed to end-to-end people who will never stay quiet will point it out, and after that nobody not profoundly dumb will not use it for shady poo poo anyway. There will always be ways to encrypt data that are unbreakable within an useful time frame, and the complete idiots they'd catch will leave plenty of evidence anyway.

Second is the problem that as it is the problem isn't having enough data, it's identifying signals from within the flood of data. You need more very highly paid experts way before more data is necessary - the tools available for data collection aren't only good enough, they're distracting in presenting people with way more false positives than they can handle.

Third is that once you add a backdoor to encryption it will inevitably be cracked by literally everyone who cares to do so, in a time frame relevant to this. It wouldn't help catch anyone but it'd sure make everyone's private business visible to Chinese and Russian criminals.

Fourth is that the government spying on everyone doesn't really help with the core problem, which is that in order to catch people like this you need the help of communities and to make disgruntled loners an exception. The answers to problems like this are less income inequality (and thus more taxes), less racism and making hating the poor unacceptable. Maybe it's a distraction keeping people from discussing that side.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also if you notice in the sentencing summary, they actually weigh his prior service record against him breaking the Geneva Conventions.

That's like saying that Harold Shipman's murder sentence should have been weighed against the times he didn't murder grannies.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

jabby posted:

This case is bullshit, and it underlines the fact that no soldier will ever be held accountable for their actions because the stress of being a soldier automatically absolves you.
It has to though doesn't it. Not everyone can be a cold calculating killer like in films. The very thing you are doing is authorized by your state. That is killing people. Not happy about it being authorized at all but there isn't a nice way to kill people is there.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TinTower posted:

Also if you notice in the sentencing summary, they actually weigh his prior service record against him breaking the Geneva Conventions.

That's like saying that Harold Shipman's murder sentence should have been weighed against the times he didn't murder grannies.

This is what happens every single time a judge makes a sentencing decision and includes previous good character in mitigation, surely? Someone who's committed their first crime at the age of 60 gets to have a more lenient sentence compared to someone who's spent their entire life as a criminal.

jabby posted:

Reading some of this makes me wish everybody present had been convicted of murder. Not sure if that's what you were going for.

Yeah, the whole thing made me feel pretty sick - very happy for you to draw whatever conclusions you like as long as you're in full posession of the facts. :) Note the sections about the extended isolation, exposed position, lack of support from superiors and the death of the junior officer, deaths in family and unit, sleep deprivation and why you can't draw conclusions about mental health from the video alone.

Out of interest, does anyone know what happened to the rest of the squad? I haven't really been able to google much, but I agree that they all look pretty culpable to me.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 28, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Independence Day :) aren't you guys excited!!!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
B and C got charged but found not guilty.

They found no grounds to charge D.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they love the D

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Kurtofan posted:

We have three Independence Days to celebrate one event, that's how big and good it is.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Prince John posted:

Yeah, the whole thing made me feel pretty sick - very happy for you to draw whatever conclusions you like as long as you're in full posession of the facts. :) Note the sections about the extended isolation, exposed position, lack of support from superiors and the death of the junior officer, deaths in family and unit, sleep deprivation and why you can't draw conclusions about mental health from the video alone.

Out of interest, does anyone know what happened to the rest of the squad? I haven't really been able to google much, but I agree that they all look pretty culpable to me.

I'll happily accept that you can't draw conclusions about mental health from the video alone, but what is extremely important is the difference between mental health and culpability.

As an example, take someone with diagnosed schizophrenia. If he's filmed beating someone up while screaming that they're the anti-Christ come to kill him, that speaks to diminished responsibility. If he's filmed beating someone up after they cut him off in traffic, while screaming 'you cut me off you rear end in a top hat', does his schizophrenia diagnosis diminish his responsibility for that? Why should it? Isn't it rather demeaning to people with mental health issues to strip them of all agency?

If Blackman had a mental health problem then that's fair enough, but it doesn't automatically diminish his responsibility for his actions. For that to be the case there needs to be evidence that the specific decision to kill the insurgent was motivated by pathologically disordered reasoning, and that really doesn't come across from the videos

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HJB posted:

We have three Independence Days to celebrate one event, that's how big and good it is.

woohoo!!!!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Prince John posted:

This is what happens every single time a judge makes a sentencing decision and includes previous good character in mitigation, surely? Someone who's committed their first crime at the age of 60 gets to have a more lenient sentence compared to someone who's spent their entire life as a criminal.

Well, true, but the decision reads like "sure, he might have committed a teensy war crime, but he was a such a good boy before hand".

That said, the willingness of the judge to accept the mitigation so easily probably plays into other dynamics.

Take Chelsea Manning, for example. She really should've got mitigation at least for being certified as being unfit to serve whilst serving, but the Obama administration wanted to make an example of her and the press had her pegged as a "pro-terrorist traitor".

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Prince John posted:

Usually previous good character is a proxy for how white and middle class someone is, unfortunately.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Nice triple whammy, worth a lot of points that.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Kurtofan posted:

Yes! I expect March 28 to be a national holiday in Scotland in about three years' time.

Meanwhile: the UK has anticipated the outcome of UN negotiations on a nuclear ban by withdrawing its bombs from the jurisdiction of the ICJ.

http://bit.ly/2mITySm

So is it A: they anticipate a resubmission from the Marshall Islands that they can't use a lawlerly escape clause to dismiss, B: without access to EU sources of nuclear material the Trident replacement programme will require breaching the Non-Proliferation Treaty, or C: both of the above?

Interesting that the first move in international diplomacy by the post-Article 50 government is to reaffirm its commitment to species-ending nihilism.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Probably B. The government don't want even limited ECJ jurisdiction limited to Euratom.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Prince John posted:

It's like reading the Daily Mail coverage of a court decision in here today, just from the other side of the political spectrum. :colbert:

Yep there are some real ghouls in here and a good way to spot them is if they say are boys (classist).

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

HJB posted:

Get a life, leftists!

Next up, which female leader has the nicest arse? Ten pages of expert opinion.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

jabby posted:

Get a life, leftists!

Next up, which female leader has the nicest arse? Ten pages of expert opinion.

The weird thing about that front page was that, somehow, the article was even worse. Literally an entire page of drivel about the precise angle of vicar's daughter May's knees, Nicola Sturgeon's thumb and her seductive shoe dangling.

I don't think I saw the actual contents posted in here, so I'll post it here to avoid giving them too much traffic. It seriously takes a turn for the weird in the bolded bit.

quote:

Legend – or rather Hollywood – has it that the Scottish knight William Wallace daubed himself head-to-toe in blue woad paint to defeat the English army at the Battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297.

Centuries later, Nicola Sturgeon has gone one step further, arriving to greet her Southern nemesis Theresa May apparently dressed as the Scottish Saltire.

Intentional or otherwise, the First Minister’s natty blue suit with white piping and matching light-coloured stilettos were unmistakably reminiscent of the Scottish flag, a subliminal if not entirely subtle indication of her feelings towards Westminster.

May, for her part, was stateswomanlike in a stylish navy jacket, a patterned dress and her trademark leopard-print heels.

Clearly, Sturgeon was hoping to knock those spots off her.

Nevertheless, clearly eager to give the world a show of unity, the two women posed together, mirroring each other’s stance, two sets of hands clasped calmly on the arms of their respective chairs.

But while May’s fingers, elegant with their classic red nails, were relaxed and open, Sturgeon’s grip appeared somewhat tenser, her right thumb at an awkward angle, bearing down on her left index finger in a vice-like grip, as though having to use every ounce of self-control to stop herself poking her rival in that gimlet eye.

Their expressions, too, told very different stories. May is pictured laughing all the way to her eyes, her head thrown slightly back, her chin sinking into her neck. It’s a relaxed, natural pose, her gaze confident and aimed directly at the camera.

Sturgeon, by contrast, looks less comfortable. She is glancing off to one side, her eyes like two hard little chocolate buttons, her smile about as warm and welcoming as Loch Lomond on a winter’s day.

But what stands out here are the legs – and the vast expanse on show. There is no doubt that both women consider their pins to be the finest weapon in their physical arsenal. Consequently, both have been unsheathed.

May’s famously long extremities are demurely arranged in her customary finishing-school stance – knees tightly together, calves at a flattering diagonal, feet neatly aligned. It’s a studied pose that reminds us that for all her confidence, she is ever the vicar’s daughter, always respectful and anxious not to put a foot wrong.

Sturgeon’s shorter but undeniably more shapely shanks are altogether more flirty, tantalisingly crossed, with the dominant leg pointing towards her audience.

It’s a direct attempt at seduction: her stiletto is not quite dangling off her foot, but it could be. ‘Come, succumb to my revolutionary allure,’ she seems to be saying. ‘You know you want to.’

The message to the Scottish electorate is clear. They have a simple choice: on the one hand the reliable, measured, considerate and cautious politics of Mrs May and the safety of a Union that has endured for 300 years – on the other a wild, dangerous leap into the unknown, a glorious moment of rebellion which could all too easily lead to a lifetime of regrets.

My mind boggled that it was written by a woman, but then I discovered it was Sarah Vine and it boggled no more.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 29, 2017

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Rejoice, paups! With our new improved paupboxes you too will be able to afford* your own dwelling space with as much as 16 m2** of living space!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/27/dog-kennel-flats-barnet-house-smaller-than-travelodge-room

quote:

Hundreds of tiny studio flats, many smaller than a budget hotel room, are to be squeezed into an eleven-storey block in north London as its developer takes advantage of the government’s relaxation of planning regulations.
Plans for Barnet House, used by the London borough of Barnet’s housing department, reveal that 96% of the 254 proposed flats will be smaller than the national minimum space standards of 37 sq metres (44 sq yards) for a single person.
The tiniest homes will be 16 sq metres – 40% smaller than the average Travelodge room. They are legal because of government deregulation designed to promote the conversion of underused office space to help meet housebuilding targets.
Local residents have labelled the Barnet scheme “ridiculous” and “immoral”, comparing the planned homes to dog kennels.
Once kitted out with basic furniture, such as a small kitchenette, bed and wardrobe, the smallest flats will have very little room to move around. There appears to be little space, for example, for a sofa or a washing machine, unless it is stacked on top of the fridge.

In the surrounding area, studio flats of a similar scale to most planned at Barnet House sell for around £180,000 and rent for around £800 per month.
Office buildings in Croydon have also been converted into studios with floor areas of as little as 15 sq metres under the Tory deregulation. Housing experts have attacked the relaxation of planning regulations as a “race to the bottom”, but ministers insist the measure is helping to deliver vital new housing, and point out that more than 10,000 new homes were created from office buildings last year.
Under the “permitted development” system, developers who convert offices into homes do not have to meet minimum floor area standards, considered by researchers to be important for health, educational attainment and family relationships. Neither do they have to include any affordable housing.

* Paups who cannot swing a £180k mortgage will need to look elsewhere for their housing needs
** A generous 43% of the national minimum living area for single persons in non-deregulated housing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

endlessmonotony posted:

Just to make it visible to everyone:

The encryption ban would not help.

There's multiple reasons.

First and the obvious one is that as soon as they swap in encryption they can decrypt as opposed to end-to-end people who will never stay quiet will point it out, and after that nobody not profoundly dumb will not use it for shady poo poo anyway. There will always be ways to encrypt data that are unbreakable within an useful time frame, and the complete idiots they'd catch will leave plenty of evidence anyway.

Second is the problem that as it is the problem isn't having enough data, it's identifying signals from within the flood of data. You need more very highly paid experts way before more data is necessary - the tools available for data collection aren't only good enough, they're distracting in presenting people with way more false positives than they can handle.

Third is that once you add a backdoor to encryption it will inevitably be cracked by literally everyone who cares to do so, in a time frame relevant to this. It wouldn't help catch anyone but it'd sure make everyone's private business visible to Chinese and Russian criminals.

Fourth is that the government spying on everyone doesn't really help with the core problem, which is that in order to catch people like this you need the help of communities and to make disgruntled loners an exception. The answers to problems like this are less income inequality (and thus more taxes), less racism and making hating the poor unacceptable. Maybe it's a distraction keeping people from discussing that side.

I can't recall if it was here or El Reg that I saw someone say Amber Rudd just outlawed long division.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Yep there are some real ghouls in here and a good way to spot them is if they say are boys (classist).

Normally your lovely obvious trolling doesn't get to me but a complete psycho was just let off despite the fact he tortured and killed a man. I'd love to be like you, uncaring about the path humanity is slowly but surely treading, but instead i'm scared and very angry in equal measure. Every loving day it gets worse.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

HJB posted:

Theresa May is an horrific scumbag politician and is dependable only to do what is currently in Theresa May's best interests. As Home Secretary, she ramped up the racism of the previous Labour administration to 11, including issuing denials of her department's own research when it came back saying immigrants were good. As Prime Minister, she's set up her idiot rivals in positions of great authority so they can't demurr or deflect and thereby committed headlong to the total nihilism of the most reactionary wing of this most reactionary Party.

Then Sarah Vine doubles down on the sexism and you remember that her husband came fairly close to being Prime Minister. For one second, you think Theresa May is not the worst person for that job.

But naw, this kind of thinking is just learned helplessness and we should abolish them all at earliest opportunity and form some kind of federation of autonomous communities based on direct democracy. Or something.

E: Was it also mentioned in this thread that, following Monday's meeting, Sturgeon walked out the front door to answer questions from journalists and May left by the kitchen exit to get into a motorcade back to London? I suppose I would do the same as a Tory Prime Minister in Glasgow.

Juliet Whisky fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 29, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

I can't recall if it was here or El Reg that I saw someone say Amber Rudd just outlawed long division.

Mind explaining this one to a layman?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

RSA encryption is basically Fermat's Little Theorem with bells on.

(Fermat's Little Theorem says that if p a prime number, the remainder on dividing a^p by p is a)

Okay, that's a massive overgeneralisation but not strictly untrue.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 29, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TinTower posted:

RSA encryption is basically Fermat's Little Theorem with bells on.

(Fermat's Little Theorem says that if p a prime number, the remainder on dividing a^p by p is a)

Okay, that's a massive overgeneralisation but not strictly untrue.

Actually plain RSA is kinda cryptographically bad for all sorts of reasons, if I remember right from Uni, so maybe it's not the best example. But yeah it's essentially based on FLT.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

RSA isn't the best way to encrypt but it's sufficiently simple to do and a sufficient enough key size from sufficiently random primes makes it effectively computationally infeasible to crack within a lifetime unless you have a quantum computer.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TinTower posted:

RSA isn't the best way to encrypt but it's sufficiently simple to do and a sufficient enough key size from sufficiently random primes makes it effectively computationally infeasible to crack within a lifetime unless you have a quantum computer.

e: nevermind, it's really way too late for this.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 29, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Private Speech posted:

e: nevermind, it's really way too late for this.

Yeah. I don't fancy talking about maths at 3 in the morning either.

Suffice it to say that there's a lot of maths in encryption.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoCrBuOBwGQ

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Rejoice, paups! With our new improved paupboxes you too will be able to afford* your own dwelling space with as much as 16 m2** of living space!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/27/dog-kennel-flats-barnet-house-smaller-than-travelodge-room

* Paups who cannot swing a £180k mortgage will need to look elsewhere for their housing needs
** A generous 43% of the national minimum living area for single persons in non-deregulated housing

On one hand, it's illuminating as to what lengths the Tories will go to avoid pissing off developers and home-owners, because I can't see any way that even building a few thousand of these flats would negatively impact on house prices.
On the other hand, they're Tories, and this is pure 'envy-but-don't-encroach-on-your-betters' scummery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-QXey3gPk

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Great timing Jeremy get your message out there on a slow news day.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

HJB posted:

https://twitter.com/davidclewis/status/846977371811057665

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Prince John posted:

The Court Martial Appeals Court did exactly that (pdf warning) in their lengthy sentencing remarks, including all the aggravating and mitigating factors. They are crystal clear that Marine A retained a level of responsibility for his actions.

You can go look at [2017] EWCA Crim 190 here (another pdf warning) if you want the full details of why the murder conviction was quashed in all its glorious 30 pages.

Not directed specifically at you Tintower, but for all the people saying he wasn't suffering a real mental illness, it's real enough to be in the WHO's International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, which you would know if you'd read the trial documents.

The three psychiatrists who provided separate reports were all highly experienced, one was considered a leader in his field, and two specialised in combat and/or homicide psychiatry with appointments at leading universities or institutions. The appeals court judgement made it clear that "the court martial had no psychiatric evidence at the time it convicted the appelant". The most experienced psychiatrist specifically addresses why the events in the video don't convey an accurate picture of the mental state of Marine A.

I detested the tabloid involvement in this case too, and Marine A's actions, but that doesn't mean the right answer is to ignore the judicial process when it produces a result you don't like. The judges have set out clearly why they felt the murder conviction was no longer safe - take issue with the reasons for that decision if you want, but just saying "raargh, he killed someone" isn't particularly productive. You might one day be glad of a judicial process that allows an appeals court to rule that a conviction was unsafe - undermining it (or mental health issues) does nobody any favours.

It's like reading the Daily Mail coverage of a court decision in here today, just from the other side of the political spectrum. :colbert:

Just wanted to say, leaving aside Marine A's conduct (which may be understandable if reprehensible), this is a good post and you are a good poster.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

whoever it was was stealing Whit Diffie's line about the Clinton-era ITAR regulations on crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is the daily mail picking up new readers or is its readership going to vanish when boomers finally die?

• Locked thread