Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

I would be the last man on earth before dinner.

I don't think your odds are that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/846826423423766529

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah but if you got 100,000 dollars every time you pushed it, but a random person died, how many times do you push it?

:v:

Sure, killing a random person sounds great and all, but where's this $100,000 coming from? Is it from the brokerage account of someone I care about? What about the friend or family member of someone I care about?

I just don't know if I could live with that.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah but if you got 100,000 dollars every time you pushed it, but a random person died, how many times do you push it?

:f5:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

unbutthurtable posted:

Sure, killing a random person sounds great and all, but where's this $100,000 coming from? Is it from the brokerage account of someone I care about? What about the friend or family member of someone I care about?

Yeah but counterpoint - random persons also include: scumbag terrorists, the entire government of Syria, China and Russia, Russian moles and spies in the US, and many more! There's like 7 billion people, and only 330 million are Americans!

Do your patriotic duty, kill a random person today! It's probably a foreigner anyways.

E: Russia, not Mexico wtf

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 28, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Few times a year, if I can use the button whenever I need it. Otherwise push it a couple hundred times. Enough to retire to bumfuck nowhere and feed my eventual small Japanese sports car addiction.

More than a hundred people across the planet died while I wrote this post.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the monkeys paw twist is it kills the ones you love and care about first

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

psydude posted:

Living wage for the cost of living? Which is exactly what I said in my post? The arbitrary $15 amount that a lot of people have latched on to doesn't account for the high variance in COL between localities. In NYC, $15 isn't nearly enough to live off of. In Eastern Kentucky it's​ probably far more than many places can realistically afford to pay their lowest level employees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...920d_story.html

Seattle and Baltimore have nearly identical costs of living*. But that's not even the point. Severely economically depressed areas like Appalachia are the exception, and $15 an hour is more than reasonable for most metropolitan areas in the country - including many parts of the country where a state-level minimum wage is not even a remote possibility and the only hope is a federal increase. And even the $15/hr level still leaves plenty of room for an economically viable higher local minimum wage in some of the higher cost of living metros.

That said, yes, $15/hr across the board is semi-arbitrary. But messaging is important, and what fits better in a political sign/slogan/commercial - "Fight for $15" or "We would kindly request that you set the minimum wage to an empirically determined level that meets a definition of living wage, to be determined, that is regionally adjusted for cost of living and indexed to inflation, with further reevaluation in the future as economic conditions change"?

http://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/42660
http://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/12580

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LMA fuckin O

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol Nunes is just going to start making poo poo up now

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Add another pro to the list for being a detached, loveless sociopath :)

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Proud Christian Mom posted:

lol Nunes is just going to start making poo poo up now

Start?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Can you just hold it down like "delete" in AOE2 to kill of swaths of villagers and free up population space?

Edit:

unbutthurtable posted:

Their organs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

HI I'M KENNETH BUT I GO BY CHUCK

What's the frequency, Chuck?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Seattle and Baltimore have nearly identical costs of living*. But that's not even the point. Severely economically depressed areas like Appalachia are the exception, and $15 an hour is more than reasonable for most metropolitan areas in the country - including many parts of the country where a state-level minimum wage is not even a remote possibility and the only hope is a federal increase. And even the $15/hr level still leaves plenty of room for an economically viable higher local minimum wage in some of the higher cost of living metros.

That said, yes, $15/hr across the board is semi-arbitrary. But messaging is important, and what fits better in a political sign/slogan/commercial - "Fight for $15" or "We would kindly request that you set the minimum wage to an empirically determined level that meets a definition of living wage, to be determined, that is regionally adjusted for cost of living and indexed to inflation, with further reevaluation in the future as economic conditions change"?

http://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/42660
http://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/12580

*Parts of Baltimore that you would probably want to live in excluded

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

*Parts of Baltimore that you would probably want to live in excluded

Yeah you pretty much need to make 60k-70k/yr to live in nice parts of Baltimore.

Source: I make 58k, and if I think frugal thoughts and eat instant ramen a lot I can afford to live in a not-poo poo part of Baltimore, though not-poo poo is really open for definition beyond "won't get mugged on way to car/train station"

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 28, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Well, poo poo, I guess after that happens, I might as well keep hammering it for randos so I can pay for my grief counseling and rebuild my life.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if it killed family first it wouldn't be random

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

Yeah you pretty much need to make 60k-70k/yr to live in nice parts of Baltimore.

Source: I make 58k, and if I think frugal thoughts and eat instant ramen a lot I can afford to live in a not-poo poo part of Baltimore, though not-poo poo is really open for definition beyond "won't get mugged on way to car/train station"

That's really the big drawback. There's a lot of places that you can probably get by in, but all it takes is one bad day in the wrong place at the wrong time. I commuted for a time walking between Elliott St. in Canton to either the metro at JH Med Center on Broadway or the one in Inner Harbor and never had any problems, and being 19 and super stupid at the time I'm thankful for that.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Paul Manafort under investigation for money laundering and has a shitload of Cyprus bank accounts.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/846846776695033856

The "ISPs can sell your history" bill cleared Congress, now headed to Donnie's desk.

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/846846360980770817

Speaking of Donnie, shock of shocks, he did business with "alleged" Russian Mob dudes, this after Spicey basically said "If the President used Russian dressing on his salad, you'd call it a Russian conspiracy."

https://twitter.com/jackshafer/status/846851755421945856

And Patrick Stewart in drag looks exactly like Kellyanne Conway.

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/846852453433835520

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 28, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Really hope the idea of buying *their* browser history and publishing it is a possibility, if (when) this thing passes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That's really the big drawback. There's a lot of places that you can probably get by in, but all it takes is one bad day in the wrong place at the wrong time. I commuted for a time walking between Elliott St. in Canton to either the metro at JH Med Center on Broadway or the one in Inner Harbor and never had any problems, and being 19 and super stupid at the time I'm thankful for that.

1- lol at walking from canton to the inner harbor. thats like 2 miles just to get on the metro.
2- lol at walking to hopkins from anywhere. you will probably get stabbed there.

the cost of living thing is taking into account the vast swath of territory between columbia and dundalk probably. the cost of living in catonsville is going to dramatically cheaper than the cost of living in lower fells point. i'd hope its excluding the real slummy parts of west baltimore, where you would be neighbors with a crackhouse.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mlmp08 posted:

I would happily peel off about 100 presses.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

cowboy elvis posted:

I would happily peel off about 100 presses.

It depends on if I get to see the person die. If I do then I'm pressing it more

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
After the first hundred or so presses I'd take the money and develop a robot that can press it another 7.5 billion times

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

After the first hundred or so presses I'd take the money and develop a robot that can press it another 7.5 billion times

Well we're doing sampling without replacement, so it's pretty likely you're going to end up dead before the robot finishes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

psydude posted:

Well we're doing sampling without replacement, so it's pretty likely you're going to end up dead before the robot finishes.

Thats why I made the robot, to finish my work

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

:lol:

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/846872918063755264

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

I read this in an old timey 40's newsreel voice

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

I read this in an old timey 40's newsreel voice

A BRIGHT FLASH BRIGHTER THAN A THOUSAND SUNS

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They're all inspired by the fat slob who took the cheapest way out of Vietnam and doesn't care how many of them die for his ego trip.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sounds like Mad Dog.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Remember how those pussies half-assed it a few years back?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Would make my day if some ancient WW2 vet issued a statement saying "Never before?"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The ADL would eat him his christian grandbabies alive.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

redneck nazgul posted:

Would make my day if some ancient WW2 vet issued a statement saying "Never before?"

I'm betting on Tammy Duckworth issuing a similar statement.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I feel like that statement is about equivalent to Frump walking into the room, asking, Mattis sarcasticly telling him things are going great, better than ever, and then Trump walking out smiling like king fool while Mattis got back to doing useful work.

Oct
Jul 19, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

Really hope the idea of buying *their* browser history and publishing it is a possibility, if (when) this thing passes.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the rule that this negated only established in October of last year, and in-effect as of January 3 of this year? Does this new resolution do anything other than negate the FCC rule? The language in House Res 230 is pretty brief and doesn't seem to provide any additional changes, "just" negating the language of the Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Services rule.

If the resolution does not provide anything new, what were the ISPs doing with data prior to January 3, 2017? Still lovely, but it seems like a return to the prior status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Oct posted:

Does this new resolution do anything other than negate the FCC rule?
It also stops the FCC from instituting any similar rule, so now the FCC won't be able to implement privacy rules until new legislation is passed.

That isn't in the text, but is part of the law they are using to rescind it.

• Locked thread