Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
they look ugly and im not sure how a bird is evocative of "Invocations"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Not only are they comically hideous, the frame is like completely overwhelming the art.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hey guys I found a prototype

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

hahaha those look utter poo poo

like someone found a first year design student and said "Hey make these look like an egypt theme"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I guess "invocations" means "random poo poo that seems like it would fit in Egypt"

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Mother of god I'm glad they're willing to experiment but this is a failed experiment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lets Pickle posted:

Mother of god I'm glad they're willing to experiment but this is a failed experiment.

They have to have some sort of special holographic effect when printed. There's no way that border was intentionally printed like that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

They're like YuGiOh cards. Meaning hideous.

If we don't get Egyptian God Cards out of this it will have been a failure.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I'm just blown away by how bad every single element looks. The art is tiny, the all capitals is garbage, the outside-the-text-box font is unreadable, the ornamentation is a total distraction.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the absolute gently caress

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

The stripey frame and heiroglyphic font are unforgivable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:barf:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Also, Wrath of God, Counterbalance, and Counterspell.

All just ugly as sin.

E: f,b.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

There's also Counterspell and Wrath of God.

The hilarious part is the fact that they put in random loving hieroglyphics around the text to make it harder to read.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

clamiam45 posted:

I'm just blown away by how bad every single element looks. The art is tiny, the all capitals is garbage, the outside-the-text-box font is unreadable, the ornamentation is a total distraction.

The mana symbols look neat and the text box appeals to me because I played a lot of MUDs twenty years ago so I'm a big fan of Courier.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

If they're going to allow this ugly poo poo to be tournament legal then I should be able to use proxies that I drew up with a blank card and a sharpie.

Jesus christ. There's no way they're righting the ship with this block. I hope everyone is looking forward to regular bannings for the next year and a half.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
What the actual gently caress is that...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Those are so over-the-top that they actually wrap back around to being sweet. The font on the card name and type is going to cause a lot of problems though.

xanthan posted:

Also random thought, what would goblin tribal look like on modern?

I was running something like this for a couple years-

2 Contested War Zone
17 Mountain
1 Dragon Fodder
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Goblin Guide
2 Goblin Piledriver
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Hellrider
1 Krenko's Command
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mogg War Marshal
2 Reckless Bushwhacker

The 1- and 2-ofs could use some optimization (I stopped playing it before I got a good handle on Reckless Bushwhacker) but it was fun and is pretty cheap if you already have Guides. Just pray you don't run into Chalice or any type of sweeper.

TwistedNails posted:

8 whack is pretty much goblin tribal.

Also this.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Hmm, needs even more Egypty poo poo on it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Boxman posted:

Hey guys I found a prototype

Ah thank you, my mind couldn't recall where I saw this frame before, but I knew I had.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I absolutely refuse to believe multiple employees of Wizards of the Coast looked at these and said "This is a good idea"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This is not a good sign that anyone in the process is competent. Nobody looked at these and said "This sucks guys, seriously."? Nobody? Who is this far out of touch? I guess this is the same group of people that thought the new gp promo would be an apt reward.

The Shortest Path posted:

I absolutely refuse to believe multiple employees of Wizards of the Coast looked at these and said "This is a good idea"

Something in the process is broken.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is some Magic:Origins tier art.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Chair Lightning CHAIRLIGHTNING

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Playing miracles with that ugly counterbalance and taking a long time to top seems like a great way to tilt legacy players. Don't even need the ugly counterbalance to do that though

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You can't even read the card titles and card types and the mana symbols don't have any color. Who's the loving art director for this set?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The hilarious part is the fact that they put in random loving hieroglyphics around the text to make it harder to read.

thats the thing i have the biggest problem with tbh, i can forgive a bad border but the card needs to be readable at a glance and these very much aren't

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

hahahah not even lightning bolt. What the gently caress.

More observations - every change to the card frame has been "we made the frame smaller so we can more prominently feature the incredible art we're able to commission."

Until today.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Can't wait for the article that says "Players overwhelmingly were in favor of the Invocation style, though there were a few who didn't like it."

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
poo poo now I'm gonna look like a bad troll saying I like the designs.

Its gonna be hell for coverage though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Okay, guys, what if this was the April Fools Day joke and some dipshit leaked it a few days early?

We can still hope, right?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CHAIR LIGHTRIRG

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Frozen_flame posted:

Its gonna be hell for coverage though.

There's something there, but it doesn't ultimately work. This needed a few extra passes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Frozen_flame posted:

Other than the art being pretty small I legit like them, especially as something I'll probably only see once or twice in actual play.

Can't wait to finally pick up Cryptics on the cheap when everyone is throwing these away for aesthetic reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Holy poo poo those are comically loving hideous

• Locked thread