Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Boner Zone posted:

a political scientist in america yall

I enjoy that this segment essentially says "The far-left opposes Trump because he's not going to give them handouts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
a good rule of thumb is to ignore all political scientists because they were stupid enough to get a polisci degree rather than one in underwater basket weaving

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

he just kinda showed up outta nowhere and ran a campaign on gum and old baseball cards at the last second.

bernie is an absolute ledge

what a legend~

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

MR: Do you worry about nihilistic, mostly-white liberals sabotaging a good 2020 candidate like a Cory Booker or a Julian Castro or someone like that?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I didn't click that article initially but I read this and went "No, that has to be made up. He's just making fun of a bad article by making up bad quotes that could fit into it."

No. It's real. By god, it's real.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Looks like there might be an alright outcome after all? Fingers crossed he pulls this off.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Looks like there might be an alright outcome after all? Fingers crossed he pulls this off.

Doesn't this (asking for resignations) gently caress everyone out of unemployment

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
100 years from now, when books are obsolete and nobody watches videos anymore, the Tale of the Salty Primaries will have been bastardized so that Hillary's southern firewalk was a literal firewalk, which burned the wonderful notes coming from Hucklebernie Sinnders' banjo before they could reach innocent ears

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Oh Snapple! posted:

Doesn't this (asking for resignations) gently caress everyone out of unemployment

isnt this what was happening before he got elected with donna brazille or w/e, which our hero whatever his name was (the cool guy) said "dont continue this, perez?"

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Hmmmm so what kind of ideas could this guy be promoting instead of Bernie Sanders poli...

quote:

On what you called the mainstream or center left. The main way they are opposing Trump right now is by promoting the #TrumpRussia scandal.

RUSSIA :argh:

At this rate the 2020 nominee is gonna be a Louise Mench, John Schindler, or Evan McMullin.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

anime was right posted:

isnt this what was happening before he got elected with donna brazille or w/e, which our hero whatever his name was (the cool guy) said "dont continue this, perez?"

Yeah Brazille was definitely pushing this before the chair election, and Cool-Guy Zack brought attention to it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have decided the siren song article is satire. It must be, because there's no way someone could unwittingly and unironically be that perfect of an idiot strawman.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Does anyone that doesn't literally work for the DNC give a poo poo about this?

quote:

Johnson regularly points out that Sanders is not a Democrat

I've seen this attack used a lot and I couldn't think of a worse attack line.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

loquacius posted:

I have decided the siren song article is satire. It must be, because there's no way someone could unwittingly and unironically be that perfect of an idiot strawman.

political scientists are that dumb though

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

if approval ratings are anything to go by it's actually managed to become a reverse attack

its like, redirecting approval from democrats into Bernman

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Hillary supporters do as an excuse to ignore Bernie or the wide swath of independents whose votes they apparently don't want

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

a good rule of thumb is to ignore all political scientists because they were stupid enough to get a polisci degree rather than one in underwater basket weaving

*nervously shuffles to corner, whistles quietly*

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

*nervously shuffles to corner, whistles quietly*

well I'm getting a history degree currently so I'm not much better

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MaxxBot posted:

Yes: I don't think he'd be effective if elected because of it

And I think he could have won the primaries had he been a democrat

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
proud underwater basket weaver mba haver here

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Neurolimal posted:

if approval ratings are anything to go by it's actually managed to become a reverse attack

its like, redirecting approval from democrats into Bernman

The best part about the DNC shills freaking out about Sanders and wanting his email list is that they think he's got some kind of secret sauce they don't understand when in reality it's just a popular message spouted by someone more often than not on the right side of history.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gringostar posted:

political scientists are that dumb though

The polisci people from my college class all Hilled hard last year, but at least a couple of them started getting #woke on economic issues after November happened. I'd accept that most are dumber than that though

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yes: I don't think he'd be effective if elected because of it

psyduck

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Keeping this as salt-free as possible, it definitely worked on a portion of dem primary voters. There were folks here who brought up the issue being raised at caucuses and poo poo so the line of attack was at least somewhat effective.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"he can't be a democratic nominee, he's not a democrat!" -- hillfolk

"of course she doesn't have to do any fighting - she's a private citizen, and bernie is in charge of outreach" -- also hillfolk

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I encountered it more as an explanation for why it was okay for the DNC to prefer Hillary over Bernie, which makes sense for the DNC I guess. I have no idea why anybody would care otherwise, being a Democrat doesn't mean a lot for ideology, just for being part of the team.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
im so glad the suck zone exists, i really do

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Perhaps this is becoming the super suck zone

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

logikv9 posted:

does this mean we're allowed to post in 16-butte now

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
(D) Mayor of Baltimore vetoed a minimum wage increase Baltimore City council passed.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/politics/bs-md-ci-pugh-minimum-wage-20170324-story.html

"As a state senator, Mayor Pugh was a strong supporter of a livable minimum wage and explicitly promised to sign the Baltimore wage bill as mayor. Today, she has made clear that promises are made to be broken. The voters will remember her turn-around."

Jones noted that during last year's campaign, Pugh said she would support a $15 minimum wage bill as mayor on a union questionnaire.

"Yes, I would. I am aware of the current initiative to raise the minimum wage in the City Council to $15 per hour and when it reaches my desk I will sign it," Pugh wrote.

Asked Friday about her response to the questionnaire, Pugh said she has been faced with significant unanticipated expenses since taking office in December, including the schools budget deficit.

"I don't think they make you swear on the Bible," Pugh said.

Democrats.jpg

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Reminds me of how a lot of bills tend to have a shitload of undecided votes until it gets a guaranteed number to pass/fail. Easier to champion a progressive cause when there's still a problem to champion.

She probably figured this was just a fad and could shrug when it died in council.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I encountered it more as an explanation for why it was okay for the DNC to prefer Hillary over Bernie, which makes sense for the DNC I guess. I have no idea why anybody would care otherwise, being a Democrat doesn't mean a lot for ideology, just for being part of the team.

Because legislation is a team sport

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
medicare for all will get a few no votes from democrats, not because they believe medicare for all won't help their constituents, but because bernie wasn't wearing a blue jersey.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hildog didnt need sabotage, she pissed off and ignored enough people on her own. If the dems win in 2020 (without actually becoming progressive) it's just a dead cat bounce from people recoiling at Trump.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Because legislation is a team sport

Bernie caucuses with the Democrats.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

anime was right posted:

thats actually the #1 thing i think bernie hosed up. he didnt push his name out there soon enough so people had more time to learn about him. he just kinda showed up outta nowhere and ran a campaign on gum and old baseball cards at the last second.

That is just so weird, sounds almost like it was an actual grassroots movement?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ace of Baes posted:

(D) Mayor of Baltimore vetoed a minimum wage increase Baltimore City council passed.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/politics/bs-md-ci-pugh-minimum-wage-20170324-story.html

"As a state senator, Mayor Pugh was a strong supporter of a livable minimum wage and explicitly promised to sign the Baltimore wage bill as mayor. Today, she has made clear that promises are made to be broken. The voters will remember her turn-around."

Jones noted that during last year's campaign, Pugh said she would support a $15 minimum wage bill as mayor on a union questionnaire.

"Yes, I would. I am aware of the current initiative to raise the minimum wage in the City Council to $15 per hour and when it reaches my desk I will sign it," Pugh wrote.

Asked Friday about her response to the questionnaire, Pugh said she has been faced with significant unanticipated expenses since taking office in December, including the schools budget deficit.

"I don't think they make you swear on the Bible," Pugh said.

Democrats.jpg

What are the odds this kills her political career in Maryland?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bernie had no corporate donors lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

logikv9 posted:

that's just a silly legend

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Theres definitely a portion of dems who love being on team blue who are receptive to it. How big those people actually are? Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

Pugh said she has been faced with significant unanticipated expenses since taking office in December, including the schools budget deficit.

Literally recycling plotlines from The Wire, lmbo

• Locked thread