Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Kazinsal posted:

The latter, with them trying to disguise it as the noble fan production fighting the big evil oppressive megacorp called Paramount.
They went to court against Paramount and lost so horribly that it basically killed off any Star Trek fan production that isn't a one-off short film.

Timby posted:

Axanar began as a short film called Prelude to Axanar...

Thanks for filling me in. I was hoping it was just some half-assery on the part of fans, I didn't expect that much assholery on the part of grifters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't remember that part. I thought it was the Romulans using some kind of mind control device on him.

Haven't watched it in ages, granted.

After Riker figured out the first illusion was as such it was "revealed" that he was in a Romulan holdeck but things were still off so eventually he figured that illusion out too and came back to the real world.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

After Riker figured out the first illusion was as such it was "revealed" that he was in a Romulan holdeck but things were still off so eventually he figured that illusion out too and came back to the real world.

...or did he?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

...or did he?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop posted:

...or did he?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 28, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

You're right! I watched that not so long ago, and how cheap and awkward the costume looked really stuck out at me.

"My true name is Gleepbledyglorp"

"Uhhhhh, you know, to me you'll always be Jean Luc"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

"My true name is Gleepbledyglorp"

bah weep granah weep nini bong

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That one's notable for being the last pre-B5 appearance of Andreas Katsulas.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Christ, O'Brien. Abandoning your feral daughter on a deserted planet 300 years in the past where she'll probably die alone one day of an infected tooth or something rather than taking her to a therapist? What the hell.

Also lol Odo. "I'm committed to order and justice above all. Unless you're my buddy then I'll just ignore that you assaulted my deputy, carry on obstructing justice you rascal."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Odo is a credit to his people.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

bah weep granah weep nini bong

I hope Judd Nelson shows up in the new Star Trek show as a disheveled admiral who may or may not smoke too much weed

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I just got done watching 'Star Trek Continues'. I have to say, they did a pretty good job. Larry Nemecek was kind of rubbish as Doctor McCoy, but Chuck Huber did a much better job, and most of the rest of the cast was good from the start (though I do get distracted by Grant Imahara as Sulu, having watched approximately all of Mythbusters). And the moral preaching is true to TOS, if nothing else.

That said, I do have one big complaint: the episodes almost all seem to end well before they actually end. I'm not sure whether to blame the writing or the directing; there may even be some of both. But they'll have a moment that is clearly written and/or directed as the end of an episode, only then they'll just keep going. In a way, the very first thing they did - an epilogue for 'Turnabout Intruder' - exemplifies the issue: an episode shouldn't need an epilogue.

For a specific example, take Episode 2, 'Lolani'. The Enterprise crew fight tooth and nail (diplomatically speaking, though Kirk does get a double-boot in) to rescue an Orion slave girl, the titular Lolani, only to find their hands tied by Starfleet, who don't want to go to war with the Orions over one girl, and by her owner, who ignores Kirk's attempt to assert the moral high ground and refuses Kirk's offer to just buy her off him because it amuses him to spite Kirk. In the end, Kirk decides to disobey direct orders and has the Enterprise pursue the slaver's ship with intent to beam her off of it - only to have the ship explode right before he can, presumably blown up by Lolani, who would rather die than go back into slavery.

End of episode, right? It's certainly filmed that way, with somber music, lingering shots of the bridge, and Kirk, shaken by the events, ordering the Enterprise back on course. But then the episode keeps going. Kirk looks through Lolani's temporary quarters and finds a data chip (or whatever they call those colored plastic cartridges on TOS) containing a message from Lolani, recorded in the event of her death, where she gives a big speech about freedom. He plays it through the whole ship, as if we might otherwise miss that this is Very Important. Then the crewman she earlier seduced into helping her try to escape comes by and asks for some leave, not-so-subtly hinting he intends to spread her message in Orion space, and Kirk gives him the chip. This isn't, to be clear, the length of something that would be the last little bit of an episode, after the last commercial break but before the credits; it's practically an act in itself the way it's filmed.

In this specific case, I think it would have been a relatively simple fix - just don't linger on the ship's destruction, with all the bridge crew looking Very Sad. Treat it like the last thing that happens before the last commercial break: shocked expressions, dramatic Something Bad Happened music, quick fade to black. Come back with Captain's Log, Supplemental: Lolani blew herself up, what do. Kirk finds her message, plays it to himself, crewman comes in hinting he wants to spread an anti-slavery message, Kirk gives him the chip. The crewman doesn't even need to know what's on the chip; we know that some time after the episode, he'll listen to it and understand the message. Tighten the whole thing up so it only takes a few minutes.

Anyway. Hopefully they'll get their pacing issues worked out for future episodes - though them still having them after six episodes, with the opportunity to take on criticism offered over months and months (I'm sure I'm not the first person to feel this way), doesn't bode well in that regard.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, I can see that. ST:C is still the best of the fan films though, and Lolani is a great Star Trek episode period. It's a shame they probably won't be doing much more, though they do have at least one more coming out soon. "Come Not Between The Dragons" is probably their second best episode, if I recall my memories of watching them a year or so ago correctly.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Astroman posted:

It's a shame they probably won't be doing much more

Fallout from the Axanar debacle? (I know he screwed the pooch, but I don't know what the new guidelines are.) Or just them running out of steam?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FredMSloniker posted:

Fallout from the Axanar debacle? (I know he screwed the pooch, but I don't know what the new guidelines are.) Or just them running out of steam?

The operative one is that fanfilms have to be short, nothing full-episode length

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

I hope Judd Nelson shows up in the new Star Trek show as a disheveled admiral who may or may not smoke too much weed

Field promotion via Federation Matrix of Admiralty

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

skasion posted:

The operative one is that fanfilms have to be short, nothing full-episode length

It's worth remembering that CBS/Paramount left an out, where you can bypass the restrictions if you get direct approval. How hard that is, who knows, but it's at least theoretically an option. I'm assuming they left it in so they could not be dicks to the groups who had been playing nice before the crack down.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress AXANAR. That is all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Q_res posted:

It's worth remembering that CBS/Paramount left an out, where you can bypass the restrictions if you get direct approval. How hard that is, who knows, but it's at least theoretically an option. I'm assuming they left it in so they could not be dicks to the groups who had been playing nice before the crack down.

I'm hoping the approval process consists of "Are you Alec Peters? No? Well, then have at it."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Does it bother anyone else that Deep Space 9 makes sense as a name after they move it, but not before?

Also lol at the Enterprise needing a transporter expert the episode after O'Brien leaves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beachcomber posted:

Does it bother anyone else that Deep Space 9 makes sense as a name after they move it, but not before?

Also lol at the Enterprise needing a transporter expert the episode after O'Brien leaves.

Bajor was already out in the boonies, DS9 worked fine as a name before and after they moved it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rhyno posted:

Bajor was already out in the boonies, DS9 worked fine as a name before and after they moved it.

There was also the political implications of naming it something Bajoran, even if it was Bajoran property merely administered by Starfleet.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Apparently I've been wrong about what "deep space" means.

I thought a "deep space" station would be one not obviously orbiting something. Instead, I guess, it means "far away", probably using Earth as a reference point.

:shrug:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Well, I doubt they'd build a station out in the middle of nowhere in interstellar space. What good is that? You build these things to support resource gathering or to exert control and influence over a point of interest

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beachcomber posted:

Given I'm sure the Federation has hundreds of Deep Space facilities, I always wondered what happened to poor #9 to free up the name.

I mean it is Star Trek so it probably got blighted by an angry alien demigod or something.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Christ, O'Brien. Abandoning your feral daughter on a deserted planet 300 years in the past where she'll probably die alone one day of an infected tooth or something rather than taking her to a therapist? What the hell.

I know just get the kid a holodeck or something so they can run free with safety protocols

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The old DS9 actually had severe plumbing problems. Flooding everywhere, including sewage. The stench was incredible.

They just wrote it off as a loss and somehow managed to requisition Terok Nor.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Given I'm sure the Federation has hundreds of Deep Space facilities, I always wondered what happened to poor #9 to free up the name.

The original Deep Space Nine was erased from history by an imploding chronoton field, but the field then exploded, and the secondary shockwave prevented the stations after Nine from being renumbered. The Department of Temporal Investigations didn't intervene because, in the original history, they were never created.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Well, I doubt they'd build a station out in the middle of nowhere in interstellar space. What good is that? You build these things to support resource gathering or to exert control and influence over a point of interest

Starfleet's modus operandi is to go out and dick around in the middle of nowhere. I can entirely see them building space stations far from anything useful just to say they're exploring.

What are they exploring on Deep Space 1337 exactly? They're charting trans-temporal subspace matrices in low-baryonic interstellar vacuum (or, watching subspace paint dry in the middle of loving nowhere and no one will bother them because SCIENCE :science:)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^^
Exactly!

skooma512 posted:

You'd build a station in interstellar space to do special space :science:.

Also, I think the Argus array was just hanging in space, and possibly various (manned) subspace relays and the K-7 station.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Deep Space means a major outpost beyond federation borders.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Huh? Hundreds? Pretty sure we only ever heard a handful - K7 in TOS and then a few single-figure ones in TNG.

I assume K series were stations along the Klingon frontier in particular.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 29, 2017

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Beachcomber posted:

Apparently I've been wrong about what "deep space" means.

I thought a "deep space" station would be one not obviously orbiting something. Instead, I guess, it means "far away", probably using Earth as a reference point.

:shrug:

Yeah, which I always thought was kind of odd, unnecessarily human-centric. That attitude is even called out in the pilot by Kira sarcastically referring to Bajor as being on the "frontier" when Bashir is all wide-eyed at being so far out.

But then for 7 years, everyone just accepts that this Bajoran-owned station is named according to someone else's perception of distance, like your local train station being called "Farpoint Station".

Dirty fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 29, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Obviously a deep space station is where you hide your dreadnought at your meticulously obscure warp bookmark in nullsec.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Rogue planets are cool poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skooma512 posted:

Well if you think about it, they only have eight others, considering this was the new one. I imagine they would have been places for resupply and repair for extended missions, locations for shoreleave... There's no reason they couldn't build a starbase (and it seems like "Deep Space" just means "A Starbase not in Fed territory") in the middle of loving nowhere if they wanted.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FredMSloniker posted:

One of the guidelines was that if you were "in production" on a full length episode or movie that violated the guidelines, you could finish it. ST:C used that to broadly encompass stuff they had scripted but not filmed, and are using their very good relationship with Official Star Trek to pump out a few more. They had the closest working relationship with the powers that be, even more so than the New Voyages guys. Plus of all the fan films, they have the highest number of working actors/voice actors so they are a more professional operation.

Their stated intent was to do 10-12 episodes as somewhat of an arc; but I have no idea if they'll get that far. They've put out one whole episode after the guidelines came out, and a new one is coming out soon. I always figure the next one will be the last, but then they keep doing more. In fact they just announced that in an upcoming episode they're going to have Nicola Bryant (Peri from Doctor Who), Anne Lockhart from BSG:TOS and Cas Anvar (Alex on The Expanse). No idea if those are cameos like Jamie Bamber or large roles but that's pretty big. Also as late as last year Rod Roddenberry was endorsing them and he's an exec producer on Discovery.

They'll probably put out a couple more and wrap up, but there is a slight chance that they quietly go on doing a few more a year under the radar, especially if Axanar finally folds up and goes away.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

"Deep Space" stations are just starbases that are on alien territory outside the Federation's borders. They should probably be up to more than 9 of those by TNG time but oh well.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think it sort of makes sense. It seems like most places neighboring the Federation are at least nominally someone else's territory, so they probably reserve the "Deep Space" moniker for allies/clients like the Bajorans or for truly remote areas that no one is actively claiming. Building an extraterritorial military installation is going to look suspiciously like a landgrab and the Feds are obsessed with being diplomatic, so they probably don't build Deep Space stations without a good reason. Plus they have starships that can carry hundreds of people and operate independently for years, so maybe it's not really worth tying down a bunch of resources on a standing base in the middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Bet they had the name kicking around unused cause the old Deep Space 9 is now in Federation space after some race joined up.